GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

Well, Patrick McDermott managed to disappear without a trace to Mexico. The private detective finally found him from a large group of the same ISP addresses that came into the website set up to find him. I contacted that PI and asked him if he was going to look into this case, but he said no, not until he was invited to. IE: paid.

Oh, and if what is being said is true, with John and Chandrika living separate lives, it doesn't sound like John is the jealous type. If she is going out on her dates and he is going out on his??? This doesn't sound like he might be inclined to want to kill Gavin for dating his wife again.

Who knows though?

I can totally see that John would be "okay" with his ex dating...but maybe he and his ex had a fight that night and Gavin rushed over and there were words and then a fight...but I would HOPE that the ex would confess all the LE. If something happened between Gavin and John that night, I would think SOMEONE in that household (2 other adults) would know something useful.

FWIW I don't know what Gavin made, but I know a lot of other people in the same industry and they make a good upper middle class income. They should have been able to afford their house (above post mentions $300k) with no problem. I wonder if they made a lot of costly renovations to the inside?

I can totally see that John would be "okay" with his ex dating...but maybe he and his ex had a fight that night and Gavin rushed over and there were words and then a fight...but I would HOPE that the ex would confess all the LE. If something happened between Gavin and John that night, I would think SOMEONE in that household (2 other adults) would know something useful.

FWIW I don't know what Gavin made, but I know a lot of other people in the same industry and they make a good upper middle class income. They should have been able to afford their house (above post mentions $300k) with no problem. I wonder if they made a lot of costly renovations to the inside?

From the pictures I have seen of the house, there doesn't appear to be any major renovations on the inside. I don't know that for sure of course, but it is a very plain house. The only thing that I can see that might have been added after they bought it is a swimming pool and deck in the back. I am sure that cost a lot of money, which may have been obtained by a second mortgage.

I am not going to try and speculate on what the Smith's spent their money on, but I agree, his job should have been enough to handle things….at least the mortgage should have been easily covered. Above all else you should do whatever needs to be done to keep a roof over your family's head.

Gavin was a distribution manager, not an executive like the MSM love to classify him as. But even with that title, he should have been making a very good living, having worked there for 20 years.

Well, Patrick McDermott managed to disappear without a trace to Mexico. The private detective finally found him from a large group of the same ISP addresses that came into the website set up to find him. I contacted that PI and asked him if he was going to look into this case, but he said no, not until he was invited to. IE: paid.

Oh, and if what is being said is true, with John and Chandrika living separate lives, it doesn't sound like John is the jealous type. If she is going out on her dates and he is going out on his??? This doesn't sound like he might be inclined to want to kill Gavin for dating his wife again.

Who knows though?

That's the only other possibility besides murder, IMO. A new life in Mexico or Canada with money he'd been stashing for years to start over w/o any headaches and bills. The problem with that is, after 18 years at his job, he would have been only a couple of years away from his 20th C. Fox retirement from their 401K or whatever they have set up for 20 yr employees, so a big waste. Except once he's declared legally dead, his wife and sons would receive his insurance which in most companies is a year lump sum of his salary from his death while still in their employ.

Also his family does not believe he is capable of just walking away from them. They seem to consider that foul play is the only reason he is not home by now.

Like I've said here, I consider CW more jealous and dangerous than Johnny. JMHO. And LE thinks a felony has been committed at CWs home, so something lead them to believe there may have been foul play involving Gavin in that house.

<modsnip>. I'm wondering if that was altered after it was first posted online and that reference to to her was perhaps removed -- a mistake or not?

I'm thinking since they are postponing JC's sentencing, they are hoping they can get him to turn states evidence on anything he knows about GS's disappearance in exchange for a lighter sentence on the drug charges.

From what I have been reading, the cops have been after John Creech for a 2010 warrant. They may have used Gavin and Chandrika's relationship to get a warrant to go inside the house and look around, for evidence on that case and to see if they can find anything on John for the drugs as well. Two birds with one stone type of deal. Seems to have worked.

I can't see John admitting guilt in anything involving Gavin. A murder charge is far worse than a drug charge, even if it involves his wife. If it were me, I think I would keep my mouth shut unless I had absolutely no involvement and could prove it. John is dirty enough, LOL.

I read that article about the fake prison house that is in the Creech neighborhood, where John Creech states that he was offended by it at first. That was funny. Here he is a convicted federal felon and a drug dealer, yet he is offended by prisoners being in the neighborhood. Talking about the pot calling the kettle black, acting like he is above all that. :floorlaugh:

From what I have been reading, the cops have been after John Creech for a 2010 warrant. They may have used Gavin and Chandrika's relationship to get a warrant to go inside the house and look around, for evidence on that case and to see if they can find anything on John for the drugs as well. Two birds with one stone type of deal. Seems to have worked.

I can't see John admitting guilt in anything involving Gavin. A murder charge is far worse than a drug charge, even if it involves his wife. If it were me, I think I would keep my mouth shut unless I had absolutely no involvement and could prove it. John is dirty enough, LOL.

I read that article about the fake prison house that is in the Creech neighborhood, where John Creech states that he was offended by it at first. That was funny. Here he is a convicted federal felon and a drug dealer, yet he is offended by prisoners being in the neighborhood. Talking about the pot calling the kettle black, acting like he is above all that. :floorlaugh:

I thought that was funny too! Actually, John was charged in 2010, convicted in Feb of this year, and out pending sentencing until 6/21, the date of his original sentencing hearing. They'd already convicted him on the drug charges so no need for a fishing expedition. I'll bump the original court info for you.

Bumping
Per LA Superior Court Records https://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/onlineservices/criminalindex/

Name:* CREECH , JOHN * LANZIE *
Case Number* LACBA367995-01
Filed At*Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
Filing Date*02/18/2010
Limited Jurisdiction
Count ChargeSection Charge Statute Disposition DispositionDate
01 11351 Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
02 11352(A) Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
03 11359 Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
04 11378 Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
05 11370.9(A) Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
06 11377(A) Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010

Name:* CREECH , JOHN * LANZIE *
Case Number* XCNBA367995-01
Filed At*Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
Filing Date*11/09/2010
General Jurisdiction
Count Charge Section Charge Statute Disposition Disposition Date
01 11351 Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
02 11352(A) Health & Safety Code Guilty/Convicted 02/27/2012
03 11359 Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
04 11378 Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
05 11370.9(A) Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
06 11377(A) Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.

BBM & red by me.

Per California statutes here: All are drug related charges. Possession of controlled substances, possession with intent to sell, transport/import, sale of controlled, sale of MJ, receive/concealment of proceeds.

Conviction on:
11352. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this division, every
person who transports, imports into this state, sells, furnishes,
administers, or gives away, or offers to transport, import into this
state, sell, furnish, administer, or give away, or attempts to import
into this state or transport (1) any controlled substance specified
in subdivision (b), (c), or (e), or paragraph (1) of subdivision (f)
of Section 11054, specified in paragraph (14), (15), or (20) of
subdivision (d) of Section 11054, or specified in subdivision (b) or
(c) of Section 11055, or specified in subdivision (h) of Section
11056, or (2) any controlled substance classified in Schedule III,
IV, or V which is a narcotic drug, unless upon the written
prescription of a physician, dentist, podiatrist, or veterinarian
licensed to practice in this state, shall be punished by imprisonment
pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for
three, four, or five years.

LibraLove, re post #244, you may want to edit out about the article that cannot be found. A mod had to snip that portion from a prev post as unsubstantiated. If you find it, please link it, then we can talk about it. Again, I'm not a mod, just trying to help. Feel free to pm a mod/Salem for clarification.

I'm trying to catch up on getting all links onto the media thread, but certainly haven't seen that info anywhere other than a post by a diff poster...??

Regarding the Smith's finances, they do have at least one son in college, Lisa's mom is battling cancer, so they may have helped her with costs or incurred their own in caring for her, and CA has both high taxes and a higher cost of living.

In February 2010, he was arrested and later charged with six drug felonies, to which he pleaded no contest.
link

Interesting bit of info.

This article also states "Creech, awaits a prison sentence on a drug charge", so it's not entirely clear. Perhaps he pled to the one charge in exchange for the others being dropped? Please see charges disposition in previous post.

I wonder if that's part of the sentencing delay. If he pled out, but they suspect he committed another felony (according to the second search warrant cover from prev linked articles) between the plea and the sentencing, they may want more time to investigate. If it's confirmed he did commit a felony prior to sentencing, that may negate any sentencing agreement as part of the plea. Hm. IANAL though...

Ok, I think I stumbled upon the piece you've been referring to, LL. First, it's HuffPo, whose accuracy is often considered dubious. Here's the quote:

But it's his wife that investigators may be more interested in.
BBM

Here's the context of the quote:

A convicted drug dealer named John Creech was back in jail Thursday evening, arrested on a warrant issued in 2010. But it's his wife that investigators may be more interested in.

Chandrika Creech was reportedly having an affair with 20th Century Fox Executive Gavin Smith before he went missing May 1, according to E! News sources.
link

So, this is not LE saying they suspect her. This is merely speculation by the author of the piece that appears to be solely based on the reports there was an affair. Much different than a quote from LE or even an "authorities say" statement.

There appear to be no facts or data thus far to indicate LE is looking at her. She may be involved, they may be looking at her, but there's no evidence to suggest that.

That's the quote! It indicates that even though the male occupant is out on drug charges and living there, investigators MAY BE more interested in HER. So based on their affair and that LE have reason to believe a felony was committed in that house, why would 'SHE' be of more interest to investigators than the drug dealer she's married to?

Johnny keeps claiming that he's never met GS - at least not alive. I have a fairly good memory and if the writer of the article believes it's her they're interested in, I'm inclined to agree. That's all. Isn't WS all about opinions connected to media announcements? So HuffPost is not reliable? How about EOnline or The Beast? Who IS reliable on something like this?

Years ago I worked for a medical mag publisher in NYC. The senior editor once ran an article on the reliability of medical articles in consumer media. He looked at mags that had medical news in them like Time, Newsweek, Ladies Home Journal and The Nat. Enquirer.

Guess what? He would call up the hospital or research institute of the medical scientist, doctor mentioned, and ask to speak to the man mentioned in the article. Frequently no such place existed OR there was no one there by the name mentioned in the article.

Guess which mag could actually be confirmed. That's right, The Natl. Enquirer. He could always call the name of the institution and ask for the person named and could actually reach them and speak with them. Never mind that it was some backwater hospital and a doctor/scientist who claimed some off-the-wall theory like prunes can cure diabetes. At least there was such a place and an actual person there by that name.

That review he researched and published taught me a lot about the so-called 'top' media sources. As a matter of fact, to this day I'll believe, The Natl. Enquirer over so many other sources because they keep breaking H'Wood news that turns out to be true.

:doh: Yes, the author said they "may be" more interested in her. That's solely her conjecture. She could've said they "may be" interested in a thousand other people as it's not based on any data. Regarding your question, she is not of more interest to investigators! Not according to the statements they've made. Now, the author can hold that opinion, you can, etc. But it's not a statement of fact, LE's made no statement to indicate that, and there is no current data to support it, so we cannot post here stating it as fact. That's why it's now been removed twice from two posts by a mod. (Please see edited posts #215 & # 244.)

Feel free to use the search function at WS. You'll find that there have been issues with some pieces/authors of HuffPo.

Regarding the inaccuracy of the piece from HuffPO, it states "Creech was back in jail Thursday evening, arrested on a warrant issued in 2010." Inaccurate. Creech is in jail pending sentencing for a conviction in 2/12 that stemmed from charges in 2/10. He was held after his original sentencing hearing 6/21, pending his new sentencing hearing 7/26. He was not held based on a warrant from 2010.

Opinions are allowed. Rumors are not. We cannot sleuth CC at this time. I was trying to help since we have so many new posters in this thread. I'll leave it to the mods now.

(Regarding the factual nature of MSM, there's a whole thread debating that in the Political Pavilion. We often see errors in reporting. When you follow cases here closely, the errors can be glaring. I always advocate going back to original source docs when available.)

Okay, now I'm really confused. I could not find the article that said LE MAY BE more interested in HER than in him, but YOU found it.

Then you said that I was posting rumors. The author of that piece and myself are of the opinion that LE is more interested in HER. Just because she lives with a drug dealer, does not mean that she is off the hook of their POIs. She owns the house they searched and the car is purported to be the only car the family has.

It has been said that LE believes that a felony was committed in that house and the house in is CW's name. So only the 'other occupant' JC, a convicted drug dealer, can be 'sleuthed' and not CW, the owner of the searched house?

A mod should be here shortly to help explain it to you. :)

Well, once again I will say, it just baffles me how the urgency seems to have left the family where finding Gavin is concerned. Evan didn't even say Happy Father's Day to him on his twitter page. The sister hasn't said much on her Facebook. No updates on the FindGavin.com website&#8230;and never has been any.

Strange behavior. Evan just seems angry at Gavin in his cryptic posts.

So the fact that HuffPost didn't site JC as convicted of the charges he was arrested on in 2010 and wrote, "Creech was back in jail Thursday evening, arrested on a warrant issued in 2010.", means they cannot be believed on anything else as well?

Seems like HuffPost could sure use your help, Seek and Find, to tighten up their facts a bit. :)

Anyone here watch Dayle Hinman, the long-time criminal profiler on "Body of Evidence"? In the show I stumbled on the other night, she stated that it is rare for a drug dealer to also commit a murder himself. She always wants to find someone connected to the case with a history of violence or violent behavior. Has anyone here done a background check on the owner of LE searched home?

<snipped>

Gavin is on the crimestoppers missing list at ... http://lacrimestoppers.com/missing.aspx

This next site would seem to indicate that John Lenzie CREECH
has previously had residences in Indiana & Ohio ...
http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/CA_LosAngeles.htm

I don't know how to do links so am just posting the web addresses. For the past week I kept going to the older webpage here thinking it would show me the latest entries & I was wondering why no body was posting any more ... so I am still getting accustomed to this website.

I'm working on the Page 8 links for the media thread.

Thanks for the info, 2rose! Got the missing poster to work, sort of. :D

201205081711280.JPG

Missing As Of: 05/01/2012
Last Known Location
Oak Park

Name: SMITH, GAVIN
Nickname:
Sex: Male Race: Caucasian
Height: 6ft 6in Weight: 210 lbs
Hair: Gray Eyes: Green
Case: 012-02470-2254-400
Other ID: Approx 5" scar on calf, Approx 4" scar on inner right wrist. Last seen wearing purple pants, and black and grey shoes.

MISSING PERSON

Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes 420E, black, has padded storage racks on roof, tinted windows, model numbers on vehicle changed to E500, California License #6EKT044.

Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department are seeking the public’s assistance in locating the above missing person.

The missing person, Gavin Smith, was last seen at a friend’s residence in the Oak Park area between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday, 05/01/12. He left in the above listed vehicle and has not been heard from since.

His family is very concerned and is also asking for the public’s assistance.

Any information, please contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, Missing Person’s Detail.

Attention: DETECTIVE T. ABRAHAM or DETECTIVE C. CARNS File Number 012-02470-2254-400 Phone (323) 890-5500 Fax (323) 887-1160 L.A.S.D. Homicide Bureau, 5747 Rickenbacker Road, Commerce 90040

Help find SMITH, GAVIN

Link

Okay, now I'm really confused. I could not find the article that said LE MAY BE more interested in HER than in him, but YOU found it. Yes, I stumbled across it while adding links to the media thread and was trying to help.

Then you said that I was posting rumors. Please point to that statement in my post. The author of that piece and myself are of the opinion that LE is more interested in HER. The posts Salem had to edit both said LE had said they were. They have not. PM Salem for clarification. Just because she lives with a drug dealer, does not mean that she is off the hook of their POIs. Authorities have specifically stated they were looking for Johnny. They have made no such statement regarding CC. Mods decide who is sleuthable within guidelines. I'll bump Salem's post. If you disagree with Salem's determination, PM her. She owns the house they searched and the car is purported to be the only car the family has.

It has been said that LE believes that a felony was committed in that house and the house in is CW's name. Her married name is CC. The home is the residence of both.So only the 'other occupant' JC, a convicted drug dealer, can be 'sleuthed' and not CW, the owner of the searched house?Again, if you don't understand the rules, PM a mod.

My comments in Blue

Well, once again I will say, it just baffles me how the urgency seems to have left the family where finding Gavin is concerned. Evan didn't even say Happy Father's Day to him on his twitter page. The sister hasn't said much on her Facebook. No updates on the FindGavin.com website…and never has been any.

Strange behavior. Evan just seems angry at Gavin in his cryptic posts.

Not strange in my mind. First off, there appears to be only two possibilities.

He just walked away to start a new life somewhere without any notice or good-bye OR it seems he may have gone out and gotten killed in a love triangle and/or drug deal after moving out of the family home as his son reported. Why wouldn't they be angry? Sad, but also very angry, IMO.

Evan tweeted recently, "Your just somebody that I used to know." And we can only guess who he was addressing in that tweet. If I were his wife, I would be livid with anger, but also very heart-sick and devastated. One emotion does not negate the other.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back