South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
15:29

The police officer is so soft-spoken there have been three requests already for him to speak up.

15:29

VL says they met Dewani in a small boardroom. He was directed there by hotel staff.

15:27

VL informed Colonel Els, his superior. VL gave instructions to take Tongo to the hotel. That's where they'll meet to start their investigation.

15:32

VL and two other officers met with Dewani in the hotel boardroom. One of the others, Els, conducted the interview.

Dewani (SD) said he was on his way from supper with wife & driver, from Somerset West. He and his wife were viewing photos and on the way she insisted that she wanted to see the nightlife in the township. SD said he wasn't feeling well, but his wife insisted. He alerted the driver. He saw a green board pointing to Gugulethu.

15:36

VL relates what SD told officers: One hijacker got in at the front, the other was pointing the firearm to the back. One took his cellphone (the one pointing the gun). He managed to hide his wife's ring in the seat. He was dropped somewhere in the front seat.

He continues: The robbery continued after Tongo was let out. Somewhere further in the township, he (SD) was let out.

VL says SD was in a shocked state.

VL: We were there for an hour or two, for quite some time. Mr Dewani was in and out of the boardroom.

15:38

VL: There was no mention of any money in his possession. No mention of a helicopter. Not to me, at least. No mention of money for a helicopter trip either.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/LIVE-Dewani-in-court-day-15-20141105

bbm:

where was he going and what was he doing?

I do hope someone will ask him that question

very odd...........
(A)junkies are always able to score their drug of choice within half an hour of landing in a foreign country
(B)wonder if that is the case with people with particular preferences
(C) negotiating tour deals
(D) dialing M for Murder?

and of course none of the above could apply

wonder if SD will refute that too ((10 minutes in the car))

So true, we'll never know what they spoke about.

I'm amazed reading the story I linked above about Dina R. Is it that well known that a hit man can be hired at a Taxi Rank? The men who killed the baby also staged the scene like a robbery, they stole a safe containing a firearm, after tying up the child's uncle and nanny, and killing the child. These 4 men did it for R10 000. Life is just so cheap in SA!!

So true, we'll never know what they spoke about.

I'm amazed reading the story I linked above about Dina R. Is it that well known that a hit man can be hired at a Taxi Rank? The men who killed the baby also staged the scene like a robbery, they stole a safe containing a firearm, after tying up the child's uncle and nanny, and killing the child. These 4 men did it for R10 000. Life is just so cheap in SA!!

MOO
If this is such a commonplace crime, then this whole case must seem mundane to LE during SD's trial -- it's going to be fascinating to see how this plays....

RIP Anni

bbm:

where was he going and what was he doing?

I do hope someone will ask him that question

I don't know for sure, just taking a guess, but I think he makes a call. We also know from phone/internet records, he accessed the Gaydar and Recon sites on his phone on November 15 and 16.

The whole thing is odd, and only amounts to one persons word against the other. I do think SD's behaviour was unlikely from start to finish, especially when it turns out from an earlier post that he wasn't a complete stranger to SA but had been there the previous year, he was also well travelled. His parents had also visited SA the previous year after becoming friendly with the wife of Dr Pox, as detailed in an account of the Dr Pox murder allegedly by hi-jackers. So I find it hard to believe that he was so reckless when he's not short of money and could have arranged all their activities through the hotel...... but it's only circumstantial stuff at the moment.

Dewani told Lutchman he hid the wedding ring, but didn't he later say Anni hid them, and he urged her to hand them over?

The whole thing is odd, and only amounts to one persons word against the other. I do think SD's behaviour was unlikely from start to finish, especially when it turns out from an earlier post that he wasn't a complete stranger to SA but had been there the previous year, he was also well travelled. His parents had also visited SA the previous year after becoming friendly with the wife of Dr Pox, as detailed in an account of the Dr Pox murder allegedly by hi-jackers. So I find it hard to believe that he was so reckless when he's not short of money and could have arranged all their activities through the hotel...... but it's only circumstantial stuff at the moment.

He (SD) lacks credibility on so many levels MOO. As you highlight, he was well travelled and as such would have an understanding of safety while travelling. With a new wife, you would think he would normally be even more vigilant.

It sounds like he took family members along on honeymoon too - or there were friends/relatives already living there - staying at a hotel nearby?

I don't know for sure, just taking a guess, but I think he makes a call. We also know from phone/internet records, he accessed the Gaydar and Recon sites on his phone on November 15 and 16.

If he was truly innocent and above reproach he wouldn't have bothered with those issues.....MOO

Very true, why SD hid that he had been to SA? Why did it take him 3 years to reveal the helicopter trip and money? Why did he trust Tongo so explicitly, told him about the money in the car?

Why didn't SD leave the money in his hotel room and after returning from their night out, give it Tongo outside his room while Anni is preparing for bed? Tongo had to return them to their hotel, why travel in the vehicle with the money?

It sounds like he took family members along on honeymoon too - or there were friends/relatives already living there - staying at a hotel nearby?

My guess is SD's family arrived a day or so later, probably the next day - Tongo had already been interviewed and made a statement, but not by Lutchman the officer who interviewed SD at the hotel.

Why does SD say he felt sick in the car and it was Anni who persisted to go for a drive into Gugs township? Is he just adding to the story to make himself look totally innocent, which of course, he could be. Was Anni such an unfeeling person she wanted to keep driving into the night while her husband feels sick?

In SD's story, Anni gets what she wants, in Anni's story, before she died, it was not like that, SD was controlling and a perfectionist, he was the 'nazi'. (Anni's words)

15;44

While SD's statement was being taken, VL says, he was getting others to locate the car and person.

VL: We had the registration number that we got from Tongo himself. We activated the dog unit, flying squad. Also arranged a helicopter that would be activated at first light. I also arranged for the identikit people to draw the identikit of the suspects and trauma counsellors.
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/LIVE-Dewani-in-court-day-15-20141105

bbm:

now I wonder how well that turned out

would SD and Tongo been separated to give descriptions of the suspects?

Thanks for all the tweet posts today guys, by the way.

Why does SD say he felt sick in the car and it was Anni who persisted to go for a drive into Gugs township? Is he just adding to the story to make himself look totally innocent, which of course, he could be. Was Anni such an unfeeling person she wanted to keep driving into the night while her husband feels sick?

In SD's story, Anni gets what she wants, in Anni's story, before she died, it was not like that, SD was controlling and a perfectionist, he was the 'nazi'. (Anni's words)

he's pretty self absorbed and coddled MOO.....IME controllers (abusers) always see themselves as victims or martyrs :moo:

regarding the ring!

wouldn't a valuable ring like that be insured??? --- SD shame on you.....MOO he was more worried about the ring than Anni

Hotel would have provided safekeeping for it -- if he was a truly ''well'' travelled person he would have known that.

Special thanks to PrimeSuspect and newone for the tweets and keeping us up to date.:cheers:

regarding the ring!

wouldn't a valuable ring like that be insured??? --- SD shame on you.....MOO he was more worried about the ring than Anni

Hotel would have provided safekeeping for it -- if he was a truly ''well'' travelled person he would have known that.

Yes, he was very concerned to get that ring back, he did get it back.

I haven't been able to find out what happen to his phone? After the incident, he was loaned a phone by the hotel, so I presume it was stolen and not returned, or the police kept it for forensics to check.

So how was Tongo suppose to contact him privately if SD didn't have his phone? Isn't that what VZ asked him, why didn't he call SD?

Yes, he was very concerned to get that ring back, he did get it back.

I haven't been able to find out what happen to his phone? After the incident, he was loaned a phone by the hotel, so I presume it was stolen and not returned, or the police kept it for forensics to check.

So how was Tongo suppose to contact him privately if SD didn't have his phone? Isn't that what VZ asked him, why didn't he call SD?

good catch! SD did have Tongo's biz card IIRC......and didn't LE hand off cell phone to SD while SD was in LE vehicle with Tongo at other end of call? (that was strange to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu