Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I was not sure since it looked as if family settled in Canada and seemingly some/most stayed there. Then I found this:
Name: George E Wolf
Birth Date: 5 Apr 1896
County: Bon Homme
Father's Name: Edward Wolf
Mother's Name: Louise Helweg
File Date: 26 Oct 1935

Why did it take decades to file birth cert in US?

Will try to pull and post family pic.

I actually registered my own birth and my brother's birth when I was 39. My parents had never registered us. I was able to get my drivers licence and get married with a statutory declaration but when I wanted to get a passport, I had to have a valid birth cert.

Maybe the same thing happened to him.

What was George running from/hiding from? Simple as that!? There was something he was afraid of, not just a kook. This photo site is very interesting, it has alot of old photos of criminals. Was he once convicted of a crime?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leastwanted/sets/

I wonder if we will ever know who he is.

Did he have any hint of accent-southern, eastern, anything? Where there any sayings/fav phrases that may have regional origins?

IIRC there is only CA death cert on file, no SSI cert. That says to me either he died under assumed name or did not have SSN. Since he was born before conception of SSI, he may have not trusted that system or did not want government to know his business. As things are at moment, I believe his name on death cert is not his given name.

More fragmented thoughts w/o answers. Consider times he lived through-depression, perhaps dustbowl, 2 world wars, era of Dillinger, Bonny and Clyde, Capone, ect, USA was a wild place for some.

I wonder if we will ever know who he is.

Did he have any hint of accent-southern, eastern, anything? Where there any sayings/fav phrases that may have regional origins?

IIRC there is only CA death cert on file, no SSI cert. That says to me either he died under assumed name or did not have SSN. Since he was born before conception of SSI, he may have not trusted that system or did not want government to know his business. As things are at moment, I believe his name on death cert is not his given name.

More fragmented thoughts w/o answers. Consider times he lived through-depression, perhaps dustbowl, 2 world wars, era of Dillinger, Bonny and Clyde, Capone, ect, USA was a wild place for some.

Brody had no trace of an accent which might have originated outside the U.S., and I don't think he was clever enough to have eliminated such an accent--so I would say he had to be American-born, or at least must have come here at a very young age. His speech patterns were typical of northeast U.S., but with nothing like Bronx or Boston. He used foreign terms which apparently he had read about but didn't quite know how to pronounce. Some of his ideas which we would now call "new age" probably originated in California.

Leaving no lonely stone unturn: Far fetched thought if Anna were in California when she was 16 and had a baby.... Anna would be 16 giving birth to Chaneih.

WATERS
CHANEIH
TIFFANY
WATERS
FEMALE
SAN FRANCISCO

Following the trace of George Broda italian
( http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87397&page=12 )
I found that he was born really the 10 aug 1898 in Moncalvo, IT and not the 10 aug 1900;
the full name was Giuseppe Giannino Francesco Broda, that he changed in George Broda when emigrated in USA in 1914.

After the my first block for death record in 1918 ( Merced, Merced, CA), but because I found it alive in 1920 census, I searched more abt this man;
well:

in 1930 he was in Shasta Hotel, 314 Kearny st, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA I am pretty sure that is the same George Broda (aka Giuseppe Giannino Francesco Broda), also if in 1930 census the name is Steve Brodio b. abt 1902, IT.

No doubts that Steve Brodio, George Broda, and Giuseppe Giannino Francesco Broda are all names of same man.
Now I ask my self: why the death record?
It is possible that this man needing of a new identity?
And why?
It was easy, for a man in USA, in the past time, to create a new identity?
raf

Following the trace of George Broda italian
( http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87397&page=12 )
I found that he was born really the 10 aug 1898 in Moncalvo, IT and not the 10 aug 1900;
the full name was Giuseppe Giannino Francesco Broda, that he changed in George Broda when emigrated in USA in 1914.

After the my first block for death record in 1918 ( Merced, Merced, CA), but because I found it alive in 1920 census, I searched more abt this man;
well:

in 1930 he was in Shasta Hotel, 314 Kearny st, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA I am pretty sure that is the same George Broda (aka Giuseppe Giannino Francesco Broda), also if in 1930 census the name is Steve Brodio b. abt 1902, IT.

No doubts that Steve Brodio, George Broda, and Giuseppe Giannino Francesco Broda are all names of same man.
Now I ask my self: why the death record?
It is possible that this man needing of a new identity?
And why?
It was easy, for a man in USA, in the past time, to create a new identity?
raf

Very easy. My dad had a number of aliases. His father and grandfather used variations of their names on census, naturalization docs, ect. My dad and his brother have different surnames (variation) on their birth certs.

I think it is still possible to create new identity w/o too much problem, there are some sites on internet that assist in those things.

Thank you branwynbreeze!
It is hard for me understand the concept abt that, because in Italy is no so..
For exemple, in Italy the draft registration cards are made by original birthrecords, by birth Communes, for birth years; and it is impossible any surname changement without the judge sentence, and the transcription of judge sentence on original civil records... also for the surname changement it is possible only to change one or two letters of surname.
Thanks,
raf

I think it was explained how to obtain a false identity in Frederick Forsyths book "The day of the jackal" (maybe just applicable in the UK)

Though ruled out due to the late date (1965) when he went missing, someone had suggested in the first thread Melvin Uphoff as a potential George Brody. In reading through the threads yesterday, I followed up on that and discovered he had been located last year:

"The Nebraska State Patrol picked up the cold case a few years ago and had the couple listed on its website as "missing." Now their pictures are gone. The case is closed. The couple today tells the state patrol, they want to be left alone and want privacy."

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=341.0

Though ruled out due to the late date (1965) when he went missing, someone had suggested in the first thread Melvin Uphoff as a potential George Brody. In reading through the threads yesterday, I followed up on that and discovered he had been located last year:

"The Nebraska State Patrol picked up the cold case a few years ago and had the couple listed on its website as "missing." Now their pictures are gone. The case is closed. The couple today tells the state patrol, they want to be left alone and want privacy."

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=341.0

I am going to add this to our thread for list of rule outs for GB.

Hello!

If anyone has an account for Ancestry, they have more year books up!

www.ancestry.com

For George Brody/ Evelyn Wanek/ or anyone else we can think of.

Thanks and hugs to all,
Sidekick

I somehow think that if Brody was changed from something else, it seems more likely to have been Brodsky/Brodski than Broda.

Adding this here in addition to the newbies needed thread, but I am hoping we can find a local who can do some research on GB based on some of the info raf found at the Oakland or San Fran libraries..... I don't know which of the two are better, and GB resided in Oakland.

I think we can likely cross reference some of the old addresses we found perhaps to a name change at the residence which lists the same siblings or boarders..... It is an avenue we have not yet been able to research and I would love love love if someone has the time - we could gather the info we have and hopefully someone can take that and do some digging at the library.

tia!

Can someone refresh my memory. Did we ever search Brady. Since many of the name changes GW used were one letter off, perhaps GB's real name is as simple as a one letter change to his used surname.

If he changed it by one letter, is it possible that as George Brady he had the 'wrong' number by numerology, but with Brody had the 'right' one? I know that George Brody doesn't add up to the number he said he was, but Brady->Brody is such a minor change that it might have been an 'adjustment' in order to correct something he saw as a flaw.

Cubby-

I took your advise and have started searchin Brady's. I am re-paying my sub to ancestry so I have complete data and will let you know if I find anything. I did find something interesting, however in my beginning search. There is a famous George Brady from Canada. He was a czech survivor of the holocaust, along with his sister Hana (I guess a movie was made Hana's Suitcase.) Anyway--he is George Brady now, but in Czech the spelling was Bradova. I know Annamom does not feel he as European, but perhaps if he was Czech, this was his original spelling?
Can someone refresh my memory. Did we ever search Brady. Since many of the name changes GW used were one letter off, perhaps GB's real name is as simple as a one letter change to his used surname.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back