IN - Jasmine Abbott, 14, Katelynn, 9, & Ryan Bennett, 4, slain, Austin, 21 Jan 2011

Nancy2441

Reaction score
Three children and their mother who were found dead inside their partially burned house in southern Indiana had all been shot in the head, police said Saturday, with an internet rant tied to the woman drawing investigators' attention.

Results of a preliminary autopsy, conducted by the Kentucky Medical Examiner's Office, released Saturday revealed that Amanda Bennett, 30, had died from a gunshot wound to her head and smoke inhalation.
The same causes of death were listed for her 9-year-old daughter, Katelynn Bennett. Jasmine Abbott -- 14 and also Amanda's biological daughter -- was killed by a gunshot wound to the head, as was the woman's 4-year-old son, Ryan Bennett.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/22/indiana.deaths/index.html?hpt=T1

From the same article:

Police are looking at an internet posting on the "Crothersville Forum," referring to a town near Austin, that mentions the late Amanda Bennett's husband by name. Two posts, both under the heading "Gone Forever," were published online Friday and contained urgent, heated language.
One of the posts reads, in part: "it's time to take the pain away ... you got what u wanted no wife an no kids."

So this sounds more like a murder suicide. So very sad for these kids.

Why set the house on fire if it was a suicide? I wonder if the husband (or whoever) could have killed them, typed the message online pretending to be her, then set the house on fire.

Why set the house on fire if it was a suicide? I wonder if the husband (or whoever) could have killed them, typed the message online pretending to be her, then set the house on fire.

The fire part is throwing me off on the murder/suicide thing too. Very odd. imo

From the same article:

Police are looking at an internet posting on the "Crothersville Forum," referring to a town near Austin, that mentions the late Amanda Bennett's husband by name. Two posts, both under the heading "Gone Forever," were published online Friday and contained urgent, heated language.
One of the posts reads, in part: "it's time to take the pain away ... you got what u wanted no wife an no kids."

So this sounds more like a murder suicide. So very sad for these kids.

I read posts from the past two weeks from said forum. Employees of the same company bickering about each other regarding work ethic, home wrecking, affairs etc. Some very disturbing posts. A poster named "his wife" writes as though they are Amanda Bennett, though not confirmed.

I did place signifigance to the fact that the mother died of the gunshot wound and smoke inhalation, as did the younger daughter. It didn't mention this with the young boy or the older daughter. So this meant the 4 year old and 14 year old died first.

LE has not said whether there was a weapon found at the scene.

It should be very easy to verify whether Amanda Bennett posted those messages or someone else did.

Last night I did think about my post where I said it appeared to be a murder suicide. I was going to edit it out. But I couldn't because WS only lets you edit for a short time, I think it's an hour.

I read posts from the past two weeks from said forum. Employees of the same company bickering about each other regarding work ethic, home wrecking, affairs etc. Some very disturbing posts. A poster named "his wife" writes as though they are Amanda Bennett, though not confirmed.

Do you have a link to this forum?

I did place signifigance to the fact that the mother died of the gunshot wound and smoke inhalation, as did the younger daughter. It didn't mention this with the young boy or the older daughter. So this meant the 4 year old and 14 year old died first.

LE has not said whether there was a weapon found at the scene.

It should be very easy to verify whether Amanda Bennett posted those messages or someone else did.

Last night I did think about my post where I said it appeared to be a murder suicide. I was going to edit it out. But I couldn't because WS only lets you edit for a short time, I think it's an hour.

But remember, died first does not necessarily mean shot first.

May these children rest in peace :(.

As it looks right now to me is that mom did this all herself, what a horrible and selfish thing to do.......

After reading some of those posts at Topix, all I can think is how pathetic. Those people sound like they're 12 and yet they're all working adults and many are parents. How sad.

As far as the mother, I don't feel sorry for her one bit. She's a selfish murderer. Those poor children. RIP kids.

The fire part is throwing me off on the murder/suicide thing too. Very odd. imo

She had to start the fire before she killed herself and some of the children since soot was found in their lungs. She probably wanted to destroy the home as well.

Just another perp who thought they had to right to selfishly murder their own children simply because they thought they couldn't live without their spouse.:banghead:

IMO

Friends mourn shooting deaths of Indiana family of 4

Thanks to frequent babysitting demands, the Bennetts' house was a hangout where Anderson and Stidham watched movies such as “Finding Nemo,” and favorite television series like “CSI,” and “Criminal Minds.” When she grew up, Jasmine dreamed of becoming a nurse, her friends said.

Police have said they are not ready to release information about what happened, except to say detectives are focusing “on events and people inside the home.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...+mourn+shooting+deaths+of+Indiana+family+of+4

Funeral Set For Austin Shooting Victims

In the meantime, family members are still trying to understand what happened.
"She was a good girl. She didn't deserve this," Abbott's aunt, Brittany Sprigler, said.
Sprigler said Abbott was supposed to spend the weekend with family in Clark County.
"They were just all good kids. None of them deserved it. I don't know if she just snapped or what -- I don't' know," Sprigler said.
A family friend told WLKY that John Bennett recently moved out of the home and that he and Amanda Bennett were getting a divorce.

http://www.wlky.com/r/26590355/detail.html

I wonder why the Indiana State Police will not say if a weapon has been recovered. They have already stated that they were all shot with a shotgun. So, why not say they have the weapon.

AUSTIN, Ind. – Investigators say a southern Indiana woman shot her three children and the family dog before setting fire to her home and fatally shooting herself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fatal_indiana_fire

May they RIP and may the Lord comfort the family and friends left behind. This is truly insane. :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back