It Can't Happen Here - 2nd Edition - Answers In The Sand

Did dah have cb radio too?

Respectfully snipped.

I am wondering how much "CB" radio plays into this. 1989 was the peak year of very disruptive sunspot activity that made CB radio all but useless as a communications tool.

Not sure if it means anything or not. Another peak was in 1991. This interference lead to a heavy decline in CB use with most folks switching to GMRS or 10 meter.

Honestly, I never thought of this until today when a friend mentioned it. If Jacob had been a girl, would things have turned out differently? Would LE have been more motivated to find her?

Sometimes that's the case. But look at Amy Pagnac and Amy Mihaljevic. Both still unsolved cases years later. I think with all the publicity and support Wetterlings received (MN sports teams, local and national companies, etc) Jacob's case got plenty of attention and LE, BCA and FBI worked very hard on it. I don't think they could have been any more motivated. Just seeing Patty sobbing at those first news conferences motivated those of us who didn't even know the family to try and help. I do think less mistakes could have been made, but you have to remember it was a different time, and cases like this were unheard of in St. Joseph, MN. Sadly, I remember people actually complaining that Jacob's case got too much attention, while other missing kids didn't get as much.

Honestly, I never thought of this until today when a friend mentioned it. If Jacob had been a girl, would things have turned out differently? Would LE have been more motivated to find her?

Your friend is off their rocker, respectfully. Perhaps their perception is skewed because little girls tend to be abducted more often?

Now, whether missing white kids receive more media coverage than missing minority kids ...

Your friend is off their rocker, respectfully. Perhaps their perception is skewed because little girls tend to be abducted more often?

Now, whether missing white kids receive more media coverage than missing minority kids ...

The Wetterlings were very aware of this and addressed this issue.

If you recall, there was a native boy from Wisconsin missing at the same time and his picture was on posters along with Jacob. Bobby something, I think.

He was found years later buried by playmates who accidentally killed him. Can't find the story as I cannot remember his name. The res maybe was Lac Courte Oreilles but don't remember.or was it Lac de Flambeau?

Then there was a little girl from a western state that was missing. The family was poor and Jerry addressed how,that affected how people viewed that abduction. Patty and Jerry helped tons of people with missing kids

The Wetterlings were very aware of this and addressed this issue.

If you recall, there was a native boy from Wisconsin missing at the same time and his picture was on posters along with Jacob. Bobby something, I think.

He was found years later buried by playmates who accidentally killed him. Can't find the story as I cannot remember his name. The res maybe was Lac Courte Oreilles but don't remember.or was it Lac de Flambeau?

Then there was a little girl from a western state that was missing. The family was poor and Jerry addressed how,that affected how people viewed that abduction. Patty and Jerry helped tons of people with missing kids

For what it's worth, I never intended to blame any victim's family for the coverage their child does or doesn't receive. The world is just still screwed up in the way we value people. I only dropped in to comment because the idea that missing (white) little boys get less attention struck me as off-base--but I was a kid in South Florida when Adam Walsh was abducted and I remember it vividly.

For what it's worth, I never intended to blame any victim's family for the coverage their child does or doesn't receive. The world is just still screwed up in the way we value people. I only dropped in to comment because the idea that missing (white) little boys get less attention struck me as off-base--but I was a kid in South Florida when Adam Walsh was abducted and I remember it vividly.

I wanted people to know how the Wetterlings are such advocates for all. The differences in how things happen for low income or children of color are of real concern. If you recall, Jerry was head of the NAACP in St. Cloud. He is dedicated to making things better for all

Why do you say this? DR seems to have lived a normal life regardless of his POI status. He has enjoyed long-term employment in his chosen field, maintained a social life and hobbies.
It's not like the investigation turned him into the town pariah.

Why do you say this? DR seems to have lived a normal life regardless of his POI status. He has enjoyed long-term employment in his chosen field, maintained a social life and hobbies.
It's not like the investigation turned him into the town pariah.

The above is true, even given the event occurred on his parents property. Perhaps we are not as qualified to be good judges of his character as his co-workers and close community. It's a little hard to be given few of us have seen, much less met him.

Over the last few years we have explored many scenario's, most involving DR as he was LE's official POI. We were trying to fit a variety of scenarios to a person. It just seemed too neat and tidy and somewhat improbable that someone with a vehicle would have been camped out in his driveway waiting for a victim(s) to pass by. However...I would say we "may" be a tad less guilty of tunnel vision than our professional counterparts, given we really don't know what they have up their sleeves.

The above is true, even given the event occurred on his parents property. Perhaps we are not as qualified to be good judges of his character as his co-workers and close community. It's a little hard to be given few of us have seen, much less met him.

Over the last few years we have explored many scenario's, most involving DR as he was LE's official POI. We were trying to fit a variety of scenarios to a person. It just seemed too neat and tidy and somewhat improbable that someone with a vehicle would have been camped out in his driveway waiting for a victim(s) to pass by. However...I would say we "may" be a tad less guilty of tunnel vision than our professional counterparts, given we really don't know what they have up their sleeves.

I had shown once that there is no way he would drive all the way into that building site while having the opportunity to just stop and turn around first. Why go into a building site with a light on not even knowing if that could be the house Jacob lives at and his parents or someone is home. The cars DR saw from his window are not the abductor imo. Its not even to say a car didnt happen up by the mailbox, we don't have the print field.

I had shown once that there is no way he would drive all the way into that building site while having the opportunity to just stop and turn around first. Why go into a building site with a light on not even knowing if that could be the house Jacob lives at and his parents or someone is home. The cars DR saw from his window are not the abductor imo. Its not even to say a car didnt happen up by the mailbox, we don't have the print field.

That is a very interesting point. How would he know who lives in that house? It could have been any of the children on the ride.

That is a very interesting point. How would he know who lives in that house? It could have been any of the children on the ride.

Right and everything was perfect and black until he had done that. He was disguised, his car was hidden in darkness on the driveway, so really? he gets his victim into the car and then drives into a lighted building site where he is immediately busted by DR? What a damned fool.

Right and everything was perfect and black until he had done that. He was disguised, his car was hidden in darkness on the driveway, so really? he gets his victim into the car and then drives into a lighted building site where he is immediately busted by DR? What a damned fool.
The way the driveway curves he may have thought he was on a gravel road and the farm place was on a driveway off of the gravel.

The way the driveway curves he may have thought he was on a gravel road and the farm place was on a driveway off of the gravel.

Good point but there was also an exit back onto the road into the darkness, from which he came. Instead he entered the light? With turkey barns on one side and a lighted building site on the other side?

So DR said in a hypnotism that he perhaps saw a child in the passenger seat covering their face with their hands. Perhaps Heinrich realized his idiotic mistake and instructed him to do that. Maybe DR also, could have been more definite in memory of what he saw if he had not gone to sleep before reporting the matter. Why did it take a hypnotism to get such information? I guess it really works.

Human memory is not always reliable. Remember that DR had no idea that what he was seeing was crucially important to a kidnapping case. In addition, people driving past in a car are not always clearly visible. As I look out into my long driveway, which loops around to the side of my house, I cannot always see who is occupying the vehicle or what they are doing inside. Hypnosis is a form of focused attention that puts the conscious mind and its striving into the background and allowing subconscious thoughts to surface. It's not always reliable, although personally I have used it for a number of applications, from remembering details of lectures in grad school to managing stage fright.

Just a quick note about 'Answers In The Sand'...the book will be removed from Amazon.com effective July 20th. The book has served its purpose, and as such I've elected to focus on other projects. The next book, which will be a collaboration with another writer, a very talented writer I might add, is over 1/2 complete, and a couple more concepts for books will be starting research soon!

I do have two mail order requests I'm holding for WS members, so those are reserved. I have just two other physical copies available, first come first served on those!

Thanks, everyone, for your support!

All the best!
Rob

You were not DR's parents. You have no idea of the glares that random folks would give them. You are also not from the community where a typical discussion of JW's abduction usually resulted in a 70/30 split, 70 saying innocent 30 saying guilty. This was, of course, all before Heinrich's tie to JS.

Simply stating that he "seemed to have lived a normal life" is exactly what DR attempted to portray. However, he too dealt with verbal assaults, glares and a hovering cloud of guilt that was cast over him by people who judged him without ever having known him. Many members on this forum are exactly guilty of that.

Even when he will be cleared there still will be those on this forum who will wish that he was the abductor. They've invested too much time and effort into painting him as such.

What you're failing to acknowledge is that the boys reported cars passing them on that road that night. It's not as pie-in-the-sky as you're painting it out to be. It's simple. If kids are headed to town at dusk they're going to come home. And most likely, they're going to take the exact same route they took when heading into town. This takes your "improbable" statement and makes it "probable".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back