CANADA Canada - Patricia Salamandyk, 16, Spruce Grove, Edmonton AB, June 1972

I agree, it's a bit odd. Who knows! It could be someone else. However, I definitely think she should be ruled out (or thoroughly looked in to), given the compelling resemblance.

It's interesting to hear what other people see, too. To me, they're an exact match physically, however I've stared at the comparison for a while, and I wonder if, at some point, I'm just seeing what I believe. There's definitely a lot of unsolved variables.

I agree, it's a bit odd. Who knows! It could be someone else. However, I definitely think she should be ruled out (or thoroughly looked in to), given the compelling resemblance.

It's interesting to hear what other people see, too. To me, they're an exact match physically, however I've stared at the comparison for a while, and I wonder if, at some point, I'm just seeing what I believe. There's definitely a lot of unsolved variables.

I've seen a few close ones that I still don't believe like Racine WI JD and Aundria Bowman who had 10 year gap so I understand. Aundria had a reason to run away, Racine was abused. Patricia had no reason to run away. She was in good shape except choked and beaten

I've seen a few close ones that I still don't believe like Racine WI JD and Aundria Bowman who had 10 year gap so I understand. Aundria had a reason to run away, Racine was abused. Patricia had no reason to run away. She was in good shape except choked and beaten

From what I've read about Patricia, she seemed to have no reason to run away but you do never know what kind of crazy lurked when she cut school that day.

Salamandyk grew up on a dairy farm near Spruce Grove. By all accounts, she was a happy, well-adjusted girl.

"I never got a sense anything was wrong that day," Gross said. "I just remembered saying to her 'don't be late for the bus or you'll be in trouble.'"

One by one, police ruled out the possibilities — that Salamandyk had taken off with older friends; that she'd run away to join a commune out west — until investigators reached a dead end.

"I never got an indication she planned it, because she didn't take anything that was important to her," Gross said.

Six years after her sister's disappearance, Gross again went to investigators, only to find more dead ends.

"She hadn't worked, married, left the country or died legally. There was no trace of her. She had a social insurance number, but it was never used."

Agreed. I don't think she ran away either. There's a really interesting documentary, Who Took Johnny, which talks about a boy who was kidnapped off the streets as a kid in to human trafficking.. the vast majority of times people are kidnapped by someone they know, but she could be a rare instance. I don't think we'll ever know what happened that day, sadly.

Agreed. I don't think she ran away either. There's a really interesting documentary, Who Took Johnny, which talks about a boy who was kidnapped off the streets as a kid in to human trafficking.. the vast majority of times people are kidnapped by someone they know, but she could be a rare instance. I don't think we'll ever know what happened that day, sadly.

Unless someone talks. Possible her sister knows more then she's publicly saying too, such as who she was with or meeting up with

After reading about missing 15 year old Anita Drake (OH/1963), I won't be taking anything I read about a case at face value anymore. Everyone was so certain Anita was kidnapped and killed (well, except for a couple of people who never let on until this year) because she was young and thought not to have contacted her family in over 30 years. However, it turns out that what everyone believed and what was reported, was not what happened. Not. Even. Close.
Here's what was reported and perceived:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/drake_anita.html
Here's what actually happened:
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20161114/stark-woman-missing-for-more-than-50-years---or-was-she
BIG DIFFERENCE between the perception and the actual truth.
So, I figure if Anita can defy the odds at the tender young age of 15 back in 1963, even though those not “in the know” wrote her off as a murder victim, so could have Patricia or any number of other missing teen runaways since. They weren’t all so helpless and incapable, as a lot of folks seem to think, that they couldn’t have made it on their own, if they were determined.
I'm not saying Patricia couldn't have come to harm that day; my point is that no one can say for sure that she did, either, based on what little we know. It is possible that Patricia is still alive, or has since passed due to other reasons not related to her departure, like Anita.

<Snipped>
So, I figure if Anita can defy the odds at the tender young age of 15 back in 1963, even though those not &#8220;in the know&#8221; wrote her off as a murder victim, so could have Patricia or any number of other missing teen runaways since. They weren&#8217;t all so helpless and incapable, as a lot of folks seem to think, that they couldn&#8217;t have made it on their own, if they were determined.

BBM

I find the case of Anita Drake to be fascinating despite the fact she was not the only one from that generation to escape an abusive environment and strike out on her own. In the 1970's if your parents were of the generation where you were supposed to keep the "dirty laundry" unaired and wanted to maintain some sense of sanity it was not unusual to leave home - I personally know two people, a woman, and a man, who said Buh Bye to their families at the age of 16 and not show up until 20 or 30 years later. :) And they both came from families with more than five children. Can't say I blame them.

But 12 children?! Most families in the town I grew up in had a max average of 3 kids.

I was very surprised by this rule out, but glad to see they investigated the possibility finally.

Possibly Naramata Jane Doe http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase667.html? There's a weight discrepancy between the two (Patricia's listed 120 pounds vs. NJD's estimated 140-150 pounds) but her remains are described as being in an advanced state of decomposition which could lead to a less accurate approximation that might explain the difference.

Possibly Naramata Jane Doe http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase667.html? There's a weight discrepancy between the two (Patricia's listed 120 pounds vs. NJD's estimated 140-150 pounds) but her remains are described as being in an advanced state of decomposition which could lead to a less accurate approximation that might explain the difference.

It couldn't hurt to submit this tip to South Okanagan Similkameen Crime Stoppers, the weight estimate isn't too far off, considering the state of remains.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back