CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed that Mahon was working with the Smart family; I may have been wrong. I'm pretty sure that the family put up the billboard but that was back in the late 1990's.

Apparently Susan Flores' yard was undergoing some work at the time of the disappearance and some cement was poured a few days later. This was the basis of the search warrant to dig up the yard. The mother aggressively fought the warrant. The obvious implication of this is that if the body was buried in the yard, the Mother must know about it and was actively involved in covering up the crime.

From the earliest days of the investigation, there was a certain cloud of suspicion hanging over Susan. The local press seemed to cast her in a negative light and there was rumor and speculation that Paul called her after he killed Kristin and she helped him dispose of the body. (There is no evidence that this is the case.) The family seemed to "circle the wagon" and Susan professed that Paul was innocent and was somewhat abrasive and hostile to the media (in contrast to the Smart family) Mahon's justification for the harassment of Susan was that it was to pressure her to consent to the "dig" in her yard and otherwise cooperate with the investigation. He clearly believes she knew something. The harassment probably had something to do with Susan’s decision to consent to the "dig" that tends to vindicate her.

Overall, I think a certain amount of animosity towards Susan is based on the assumption that when a child commits a serious crime, the mother is somehow at fault. While understandable, this is obviously an unfair and cruel judgment.

I didn't mean that Dennis Mahon had nothing to do with the family. Just that most of what Susan Flores considered harassing seems to have been done by him. Also, I'm not saying you're wrong about the billboard. I know that there are billboards of missing people, but a billboard that was defaming a specific person seems like it wouldn't even be legal. Unless you mean they put up a general "help find Kristen Smart" billboard in his town, which really shouldn't bother anyone.

I agree that the efforts should not just be focused on his family or his mother's house, like I said. I really think someone who was right there in that same dorm helped him, not his family. It would have stood out as too strange if someone's parents just showed up randomly in the middle of a weekend night on a college campus.

edited to add-the reason why they jumped right to the family is because they were given the general impression that Paul Flores had no friends and was considered weird. Based on that, they assumed that he would have not been able to get anyone in his immediate environment to help him. But, seriously, I find it hard to believe that there was not a single other student who was kind of in the same boat as him as far as not being popular and may have had no problem helping him out. Also, who knows how subjective the opinions on his level of popularity or weirdness were.

Arroyo Grande is Paul Flores' home town; it is about 25 miles from Cal Poly. The billboard was in Arroyo Grande, not San Luis Obispo where the disappearance occurred. It was your general missing person message but it named Paul as the last person she was know to have been with. There was absolutely no reason to put the billboard there except that it was Paul's home town.

Paul lived in a campus Dorm although he was close to home. This proximity is significant because he could have called a friend from Arroyo Grande (or a family member). From what I have read, he was considered a little "odd" by others of campus but he played basketball regularly and he got himself invited to at lease one off campus party so he wasn't a total outcast. The police concluded that nobody on campus was close enough to him to commit a felony. They were less certain about Arroyo Grande friends but I got the impression that there was no particular suspect. I'm sure many friends and family members were questioned. No names surfaced.

I don't know about the billboard in AG, but there was a billboard at the bottom of the grade on Highway 101, going north, just outside the northern limits of San Luis Obispo.

Also, IIRC, Paul managed to disappear for about 4 hours the morning of Kristen's disappearance and was late for basketball practice that day. When he showed up, he had fresh lacerations on his face. This was part of why he became a POI.

Salem

Right Audrey - I have forgotten about the dog. It was the first time I had ever heard of cadaver dogs.

Salem

Overall, I think a certain amount of animosity towards Susan is based on the assumption that when a child commits a serious crime, the mother is somehow at fault. While understandable, this is obviously an unfair and cruel judgment.

Can someone please go over to the Caylee Anthony thread and repeat this???

I don't know about the billboard in AG, but there was a billboard at the bottom of the grade on Highway 101, going north, just outside the northern limits of San Luis Obispo.

Also, IIRC, Paul managed to disappear for about 4 hours the morning of Kristen's disappearance and was late for basketball practice that day. When he showed up, he had fresh lacerations on his face. This was part of why he became a POI.

Salem

He also practically had the whole weekend to take care of whatever because it was the last weekend before summer break and many people had already gone home. Several of Kristin's own friends/acqaintances figured she had already left when they didn't see her anymore that weekend. It wasn't until her parents realized something was wrong because she was expected to be returning home. Even then I think it was Monday or Tuesday before the campus police really got involved.

Plus the dogs that hit on his dorm room...

Yep, and that's just counting the campus-owned furniture that was left in the room after he moved out of it. Who knows what else they could have found if they had started investigating things before letting him move out and leave the campus.

wow this is kinda freaky i posted at about 3 30 and asked if there was any updates and was watching tv at the same time and at 4 oclock american justice comes on i watch it alot and today its on rex Krebs kinda freaky ..

smart.jpg

Kristin Denise Smart

Endangered Missing -- Missing Since: May 25, 1996

Missing From: San Luis Obispo, California

Height: 6'1" -- Weight: 145 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Brown

Kristin's nickname is Roxy. She was last seen wearing light colored T-shirt, black shorts and red tennis shoes.

Kristin was last seen leaving a party on May 25, 1996. She was in the company of fellow Cal Poly student, Paul Flores, at the time. Kristen has never been seen again.
Reward:
75000.gif

NCMEC

Charley Project

Find Kristin Smart

Kristin Denise Smart went missing 15 years ago today.

Her case really grabbed hold of me, because (A) Kristin and I are the same age (born in '77), (B) I was living in San Luis Obispo at the time ('95 - '05), and (C) she disappeared just 2 days before my 19th birthday. I never, NEVER thought she would go 15 years without justice.

I did not know her personally - we didn't even go to the same college (I was attending community college while she was at the state college) - but I was very interested in her case from the start, and she's never been far from my mind these last 15 years. Until I moved out of the area, I would think about her every time I went hiking - I would wonder, could she be close by and we just don't know it?

Like many others, I believe PF was involved in her disappearance/death. (To clarify, I did not know him personally either. I had just moved to town a year before and didn't know many people yet.)

Where is Kristin?? I hope and pray she will be eventually be found, so that her family can lay her to rest. And that those responsible for her death are someday brought to justice.

Thinking of Kristin and her family today...

This was on my local news the other morning ... Happy to hear that Parkinson is going to look at the case again.

"Because technology has changed in the area of DNA, we're going to look to submitting anything we possibly have in the case evidence wise that would help us prove and solve the case," said Sheriff Parkinson.

http://www.kcoy.com/story/14710020/...tin-smart-15-years-later?clienttype=printable

KSBY also ran a story ...

"I would always take a phone call from Denise or the family if they had any concerns or questions. I understand they're frustrated, I would be equally frustrated not having this case solved after all these years," said Sheriff Ian Parkinson.

He said leads trickle in. They have one investigator working on the case, and he did meet with the Smarts in February. She said that meeting was at her request.

He said he hasn't followed up with her since then, because he's been formulating a new plan for the case, and didn't have any new information. But he hopes this new plan will change that.
"It's a complete re-examination of every physical piece of evidence we've collected in this case," said Sheriff Parkinson.

He hopes new DNA technology will produce new leads.
http://www.ksby.com/news/kristin-smart-s-family-s-search-for-answers-continues/

Mahon sent Parkinson a letter, dated March 5, 2011, in which he shared multiple emails claiming information about Paul Flores’ involvement in the case. Mahon goes on to trace the anonymous emails to Sonoma State University and believes that university officials there can identify the sender of the emails, a potentially major break in the case.

“The lead came in . . .2,837 days ago,” Mahon wrote to Parkinson. “I know that the cops of ‘Law and Order’ could have the lead checked out in under an hour. But in the real world, I can’t see why it would take a single work week—five days tops—to check this lead out, let alone 2,837 days.

“I don’t care how many different ways the Sheriff’s office tries to spin it—there is no way to justify allowing dust to collect on this lead.”
http://calcoastnews.com/2011/05/kristin-smart-still-missing-15-years-later/
Hard to believe a tip like that was not followed up on

Thanks for the links Knox! I am glad to hear that the Sheriffs Office is re-examining the evidence. I still can't believe the "Ben Franklin" emails were never followed up on. Kristin's case has been handled so poorly up until now that I just hope it is still possible to bring the perp(s) to justice. If I were Sheriff Parkinson, I'd start by subpoenaing the Sonoma State records to find out "Ben Franklin"'s true identity so he can be questioned...

The case of Kristin Smart, the Cal Poly student missing for the last 15 years, gets national exposure Monday night, thanks to a television show on the Lifetime Channel.

Smart’s story will be the subject of next week’s episode of “Vanished!,” a show devoted to finding missing persons, hosted by Beth Holloway, mother of the college student Natalie Holloway who vanished while on vacation in Aruba.

The segment is scheduled to air Monday at 8 p.m. (For those not on the west coast check your local schedules for air time).

full article at link:

http://calcoastnews.com/2011/07/kristin-smart-story-to-go-national-on-monday/

After watching Vanished tonight, there's an additional piece of information I had never heard before - Kristin's turquoise earring being found at a rental property owned by Flores' parents. There's absolutely no reason why it should have been there. But, what an incredible shame and blow to this case that LE lost this piece of evidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa