OK - Notoriety continues for infamous Hoaks twins, wanted in stamp scam

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
KOCO:

Sisters accused of using stamps to steal thousands of dollars from government

Twin sisters are wanted after they were accused of using stamps to steal thousands of dollars from the government.

An indictment says Birdie Jo Hoaks and her twin sister, Becky Jo Hoaks, stole more than $14,000 worth of stamps by writing bad checks. They also are accused of opened several checking accounts at different banks.

The twins would make several small deposits, sometimes as little as $5, and then would go to post offices around Oklahoma to buy thousands of dollars worth of stamps knowing that the checks would bounce, officials said.

Online records show the Hoaks twins have a lengthy criminal history. Officials believe Birdie Jo and Becky Jo are still in Oklahoma.
---

A lengthy criminal history indeed:

news9.com/2011:

Police: Infamous Sister Criminals Strike Tulsa Church

chicagotribune.com/2007

The incredible true-life misadventures of the Hoaks sisters

news-gazette.com/2006:

Scamming sisters arrested for burglary

washingtonpost.com/2004:

Kansas Woman Posed As 13-Year-Old Boy

Forwarding with a note to my mother, asking if she still thinks my sister and I are that bad. 😂

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

That homophonic surname of Birdie Jo and Becky Jo was tailor-made for a life of hoaxing.

Lived there for years and never heard of them. Thanks for the good reads!

Oklahoman:

Twin sisters plead guilty in wire fraud conspiracy

Infamous twin sisters Birdie Jo Hoaks and Becky Jo Hoaks pleaded guilty Tuesday in Oklahoma City federal court to conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

The sisters, who will be sentenced at a later date, have gained national notoriety over the years for their exploits across the country — especially for cons in which Birdie Jo Hoaks posed as a young homeless boy at churches and group homes.
---
Tuesday morning, the twins appeared separately in court and admitted to writing bad checks to purchase postage stamps in the Oklahoma City area. Prosecutors alleged the offenses occurred between June 2016 and February.

Dressed in orange jail uniforms with shackles around their ankles, each soft-spoken sister respectfully answered the judge's questions with, "Yes, sir," during the hearings.

Documents show the U.S. Postal Service lost nearly $60,000 from the sisters' scheme. At sentencing, U.S. District Judge David L. Russell could sentence each sister to up to five years in prison, as well as a fine and restitution. The twins are 47.
---
Birdie Jo Hoaks pretended to be a young boy in more than a dozen states from the late 1980s and into the 2000s, according to news reports. She has told news reporters she was able to fool people because she looked young and did it to "get a place to stay and some food to eat."
---
She attempted the hoax numerous times in her 20s and 30s. And in some instances, Becky Jo Hoaks participated in the ruse, playing the character of “Aunt Becky,” according to news reports.

The twins have rarely spent much time in jail or prison. Records show the twins have lived in Oklahoma off and on since the early 2000s. Since then, each has racked up multiple felony convictions in the state.

Beginning in 2011, both spent more than a year in prison after Tulsa County convictions for bogus check and grand larceny offenses, records show.

And I haven't run into these ladies? Shocking, I say!

Speaking of twins....

[video=youtube;VTpFWiEx3eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpFWiEx3eo[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong