CANADA Canada - Sharin Morningstar Keenan, 9, Toronto, 23 Jan 1983

Interpol is keeping case current..maybe someone might notice an unusual man having a birthday today.Includes somewhat clearer pic. of right side of face.
http://www.interpol.int/ ´en/Wanted-Persons/(wanted_id)/1983-1866

Present family name :

HOWE
Forename :

DENNIS MELVYN

Sex :

Male

Date of birth :

26/09/1940 (72 years old)

Place of birth :

REGINA/SASKATCHEWAN , Canada

It is quite possible that Dennis Melvin Howe left Canada for the United States.

His brother visited the States of Washington and Montana on a number of occasions, until authorities began to question him about his trips, after which he stopped his visits.

Back in the 1980's, it was much easier to travel between the US and Canada. In fact, there were many places along the border where someone could just simply drive across without even going through customs stations. But even then, if Howe had some false identity card or papers, he might not have been discovered leaving Canada and entering the US.

Once in the US, it would not have been difficult in the 1980's for Howe to establish a false identity by assuming the name of a dead person about his same age, preferably (for him) the identity of someone who died as a child.

If Howe had remained in Canada, it is hard to imagine the Mounties not catching him by now. Howe likely continued to abduct and murder children where ever he went.

It would be nice to know exactly what places in Washington and Montana that Howe's brother visited - and see if there might be some unsolved cases of missing or murdered children in the vicinity.

Howe has been missing for 29 years now.

Wondering if there has ever been any indication that H. did not act alone and why would he leave the body in the rooming house where the crime could be linked back to him? Would his m/o in be the same in other crimes and did any of his drinking cohorts have suspicions about him before or after the murder?

Wondering if there has ever been any indication that H. did not act alone and why would he leave the body in the rooming house where the crime could be linked back to him? Would his m/o in be the same in other crimes and did any of his drinking cohorts have suspicions about him before or after the murder?

Around 14:50 of the CBC (now Vimeo) doc. his rap sheet some of it goes down the screen. It is mostly break and enters also "uttering" (i.e. a threat of death) one charge of indecent assault on a female 1965/07/29 Regina but a couple of charges of abduction that for whatever reason were dropped but Ridgen say he would drive a woman quite a distance rob her and "perhaps" attempt sexual contact. Not sure if Saskatoon Star Phoenix (newspaper) goes back that far can check.

It is obvious that Ridgen has a bad feeling about O.H. But they say "only Howe's fingerprints were found at the scene" and only his DNA was on/in Sharin's body. I am sure if they can find him they will ask him though. He looks wary in the Ridgen show but there are lots of reasons he could be wary Howe hasn't been caught. Or, if as you are hinting here, he saw anything that doesn't fit the official story.

With his tendency towards crime, petty crime, and then eventually this kind of crime the mystery is that he would be able to stay out of trouble. That is why I think he may not be in the U.S. may have gone further afield.

For the technically minded: would a 1950s era fridge stop a human body decomposing for 8 days? The police notice nothing until Lawrie opens the fridge. I have read that her body was "icy" and that the autopsy had to be delayed. A question again: how is that possible in an old fridge?

Cohorts: interesting but who are they? OH looks like he would rather talk about anything else but Howe.

Hair was described as "shiny"which indicates imo, that S. was a well-fed and clean child. I wondered if hair would still be "shiny"if a body had been deceased for several days and/or frozen?

Hair was described as "shiny"which indicates imo, that S. was a well-fed and clean child. I wondered if hair would still be "shiny"if a body had been deceased for several days and/or frozen?

I have wondered that very thing. I would think "no" I mean 8 days is a long time to be dead. I don't think that fridge shown in photos of the room could possibly get very cold and they always had only tiny freezers at the top the whole bottom section below the door would be the motor.

She looks clean enough always in photos I am not sure about well fed I am not sure how much money they had seems like to some extent was hard times. But suddenly that picture on the front page of Ridgen where frankly she looks like has been somewhere warm, been swimming and built up bit more of a frame. But that could only have been the previous summer since it was January when she was taken. So when was the picture taken they used when looking for her surely they would not have used a school picture from the previous year? Again, I think the father was frustrated with the photo police used said it did not look like her as much as he would like. Father frustrated with 1. picture used of Howe 2. picture used of Sharin 3. refusal to bring in dogs to search for Sharin 4. inaccuracies in media. This all from him of course I don't know the actuals.

Question: in the picture of Sharin used by police and media is she wearing a button or is it an ensignia? It looks like a button. What image is on the button?

Thinking of the proximity of Canadian Native Centre to DMH's rooming house , the wholesale shop he worked at on Spadina - And to Tip Top Tailors - still wondering if there might be any connection to DMH and the uid female remains found in Bowmanville.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4A...a=X&ei=zwNtUOOKNsqq0AHu74GAAQ&ved=0CHEQ_BIwAA

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&su...ei=sgttUOCkFef50gGC44Ew&sqi=2&ved=0CB4Q-A8wAA

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092&highlight=Bowmanville

Consumers Distributing (watch, iud) used to be on Bloor near Native Centre ect.

January 2013 will mark 30 years since the murder of Sharin Morningstar Keenan and the disappearance of Dennis Melvin Howe.

Can't believe it. I remember sitting in Grade 3 and the teacher discussing Sharin's murder with us.

That trash Howe should've been nabbed long ago.:furious:

From the Toronto Star article that dotr linked to:

On Feb. 17, police released a composite sketch and a sample of his handwriting from the hosiery factory where he worked

Has anyone else been able to find a copy of the handwriting?

The documentary didn't mention one part of the story that I remember vividly from the time of the search for Sharin'. The roominghouse on Brunswick, where Howe rented a room on the second floor, had a Vietnamese new immigrant family living on the first floor. Because they spoke no English, they did not know about the search for Sharin' or any of the media reports about Howe or the crime. However, when interviewed with a translator, they were able to give some horrific details: they had heard a lot of noise and thumping around and a child screaming on the night of Sharin's abduction. They had attributed it to a domestic dispute and didn't get involved (they did not know a crime was being committed). It was a chilling detail, to know that Sharin' had put up quite a fight and her ordeal had lasted for some hours.

The documentary mentioned Howe's half-brother Eugene (forget the last name), who was known to have given him money from time to time, and was the only family member who had regularly been in contact with Howe before the crime (and likely afterwards, too). He was the one who had made at least a dozen trips to the US but these trips stopped suddenly as soon as he learned the police were watching him. That strongly suggests that they were linked to getting money, supplies or whatnot to his brother. Of course, he could then have arranged other ways of getting money to Howe -- through a third party, a bank account in another name, even cash in the mail or via a courier. I wonder if anyone audited his financial affairs, to see if he made regular withdrawals of cash, or turned money into US funds, or had a US dollar account in a Montana bank, or anything of the sort -- or a credit card in his name that was used on the south side of the border. Lots of possibilities there -- and also what about his estate when he died. He might have arranged for money to go to Howe through a trust or bequest to a third party.

It does make you wonder. Howe could have obtained fake ID, and with his skills as mechanic and carpenter he could have worked cash jobs easily and stayed off the radar. He could easily still be alive. If smart, he would have kept his weight down, changed his hair colour, switched cigarette brands, and made sure he never used the word "turkey." Maybe AMW could profile him again , with drawings showing him as a thinner older man, with different hairstyles and with teeth fixed. He might even be incarcerated under another name -- men who commit sex crimes usually continue to do so.

I often see comments from Sharin's father ( now living in Vancouver), as he frequently sends letters to the editor to the online Globe and Mail. I wonder how her brother and sister turned out. They would be in their late 20's now.

Just wanted to bump this post and these ideas!

Just wanted to bump this post and these ideas!

Dotr quoting Palisadesk.

"However, when interviewed with a translator, they were able to give some horrific details: they had heard a lot of noise and thumping around and a child screaming on the night of Sharin's abduction."

I have heard these reports but never the detail of the child screaming simply noise, I remember they said "banging" and someone saying repeatedly Shhh. Will keep my eye open for that though or if someone finds it. My question would be since it was Sunday evening where was everybody else in the house? No families lived in the house as far as I know so not sure why they would think it is a domestic dispute.

And I have heard this aural evidence attributed to a Central American person or couple as well and that fits better with the city directory for 1983 which has a Spanish name and O.H. - Howe is not in that directory - the landlords had Chinese names but could easily be from Vietnam many ethnic Chinese fled Vietnam.

There are different versions in media of why Howe's room was eventually checked:

1. The two officers who found her body were doing the street were about to kick off when one of them said lets do one more house:

2. It was reported in media that the landlords reported that one of their tenants was missing - now that is interesting given that rent would be paid weekly so they would notice:

3. Perhaps in line with 1. above in the house Detective Lawrie asked O.H. who lived I think third floor "who lives in that room and when did you last see him?" and he answered "8 days ago".

Maybe I am overthinking it but there is no indication that anyone else lived on the second floor other than Howe YET there would be multiple rooms on that floor. One interesting detail I will try to find it Howe's rent which as I read it was very low impossibly low for 1983 but perhaps it was a media error.

Surprised to find this video posted recently (by a man who says he saw DMH in US )
The Murder of Sharin Morningstar Keenan and profile of Dennis Melvin Howe - YouTube

The question I would have is what is the point of the video showing the various aged composites if the author (elsewhere) is so sure two Toronto or RCMP LE supposedly part of an historical "goon squad' went down to Idaho and threw Howe out of an airplane years ago. He has gone to the trouble of superimposing the aged composites over a portion of the David Ridgen show. Yet according to his knowledge or theory Howe wouldn't have aged to the ages shown he would be dead. What is strange about this just for me is that I have asked where the picture of Sharin on the title page of the Ridgen video comes from....because she looks several years older (to me) than the photos that were released o/w - pubescent, not a child and infinitely healthier and robust. I had asked if they had the bad taste to age progress a murder victim - probably not.

He also directly addresses a few WS posts. He takes pains to thrown cold water on a 'sighting' of Howe in 1983 interestingly he doesn't address the other two "sightings" on this thread. Sort of ominously says that the poster needs to hope a killer like Howe doesn't come for him.

His point is well taken though that Howe is clever and wouldn't be talking erratically about Sharin a couple of blocks from Brunswick in February of 1983. That is probably true. I read his posts years ago and frankly they were hard to follow - he seems to have felt that he was rooked out of money, the reward. Hinted at a cover-up. Had a pretty good profile of "Tommy Ross" who he thinks was Howe. Seems now to want credit for helping to get Howe executed. One interesting point this time is his reference to the use of "doubles" one named Tommy Ross (if I am understanding him) based on the the Steve Mcqueen film Bullitt.

Not quite sure he is so adamant about the 1983 Toronto sighting or others since it doesn't conflict in time with anything he is saying. Seems to want to "own" the story which I kind of understand - if he feels certain - sort of the way Joan of Arc was certain - that this is what happened and nobody listens.

http://www.multiculturalcanada.ca/contentdm_results

Four articles from Toronto Spanish paper third of these has excellent image of the composite the fourth of the widely distributed photo. The articles in the Star in Sept. 2012 confusingly called the photo a composite. Nothing new here but the composite is tough to find and never at this size of image.

More info than usual about the Argentinian boarder who heard the attack.

Some detail I have not seen elsewhere use of name Byrne or Brynes as well as Burns also bit of detail of length of attack on Sharin.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back