Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have followed this case since it was featured on Inside Edition..they mentioned the neighbor who lived with his parents who happened to be away that week. They planted the seed of DR's guilt. I felt the terror of Trevor and Aaron, and the family who had to drive by the abduction site every , single day...I thank God for the answers that Patti was looking for. She has her Jacob, she can bury her son and he can rest in peace. As a mom, I would be ok with that. Maybe I don't know all the answers, but I know enough. As a Websleuther, I get wanting to know every single detail and not wanting to let go of a case that we were so attached to...but if Patti can, then I can. RIP Jacob, we all grew to know you and love you as if you were our own. We were with you every step of the way as we searched for answers. We felt your fear, we wanted to save you, we wanted you to come home. You are home now. And we will always love you.

Yep and it scares the crap out of me as a mother.

Last year, after I had joined WS and spent a good deal of my time reading about pedophiles, sex offenders, etc. I found out my brother in law was molesting his daughter, my four year old niece. No one had a clue until she said something. He was with us on family trips, I let him take my boys skateboarding and the whole time he was a child molester.

It just blows my mind.

Oh Jennifermn, I am so sorry to hear this, I pray he is serving time for this horrendous act to a child, and to think your children were alone with him makes me sicker!

Just like drugs, molesters are around the corner, and it scares the crap out of me also. :(

Thanks ~

jmo ~

Snipped by me.

I think he included those details because they would inflict the most pain on Jacob's lovely and loving family.

If he had any remorse or felt any connection to fellow humans, I don't think he would include those tender moments that made the world weep.

Everything about this perp is self-centered and self-serving, including the crime itself and the confession.

jmopinion

I totally agree about the remorse and self-serving nature of this beast. But, I also think that he might have been touched by the vulnerability for a brief time and been unable to problem solve or gain quick enough control of his emotions.

I think he had to allocute and tell the world as part of the agreement. I don't think it was remorse or no remorse, just part of the deal. I don't think he cares about the pain of anyone except himself. I don't think he thought of or cared about the emotions of the family, as in inflicting pain or showing remorse. JMHO.

Snipped by me.

I think he included those details because they would inflict the most pain on Jacob's lovely and loving family.

If he had any remorse or felt any connection to fellow humans, I don't think he would include those tender moments that made the world weep.

Everything about this perp is self-centered and self-serving, including the crime itself and the confession.

jmopinion

So true. He could have said JW tried to jump out of the car as he was on his way to a secluded place and he shot him in the back of the head as he was jumping out and died instantly. He could have saved his family the agony of knowing exactly what terror the last hours/minutes of his life really were and how much he suffered.

nmogren: "Joy didn't discover anything, the police already knew about the other assaults at the time they were happening."

Again, my point earlier was that Bloggers, such as Websleuths, can contribute to investigations. Read this article http://www.startribune.com/nightmar...aled-to-torrent-of-grief-and-anger/392521711/ where Patty Wetterling states that the efforts of Joy Baker (has a Blog) and her bringing information to law enforcement was "absolutely pivotal" in solving the case. That does not mean endless speculation from your computer, but actively checking and pursuing clues that police are unable to follow due to their bureaucratic limitations (time, false accusations) and THEN bringing those conclusions - preferably actual, untainted evidence - to a receptive detective. Joy Baker was also one of the first to interview Dan Rassier in depth as a person of interest, and 'clear' him - something law enforcement has yet to officially do (practically ruining his life). If police had covered the ground she did, linking the clues (as with Jared Scheierl) then Danny Heinrich would have been arrested on sexual assault charges prior to the statute of limitations expiring, meaning he would not also have gotten away with all the other assaults as well as Jacob's murder. He will be sentenced to 20 years in federal prison on 1 count of possession of child *advertiser censored* only, according to the plea deal.

I'm still stunned and reeling by the news. I'm thankful his family knows his fate and no longer has to wonder. I'm sickened by the plea deal but that must have been the only way to recover his remains for his family. I hope the judge sentences his for each *advertiser censored* case and gives him consecutive sentences.

<modsnip>

So many good, insightful comments are being made here.:loveyou::loveyou::loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

The person who really got to me yesterday at the news conference was Trevor. I feel for that guy. To have to see the Monster -even in chains.

I hope very much that this resolution somehow helps he and A.L. both in some way.

So true. He could have said JW tried to jump out of the car as he was on his way to a secluded place and he shot him in the back of the head as he was jumping out and died instantly. He could have saved his family the agony of knowing exactly what terror the last hours/minutes of his life really were and how much he suffered.

Eggzactly.

And, if he lied, his deal would be voided. I think as horrible as it is a family member wants to know the truth in most cases. The idea that he gave a storied account that might have been refuted would have caused more pain over time. I have literally stood beside people as they hear of the horrible death a loved one endured, while it was shocking and revolting to hear details and know, it beat the alternative of what comes to mind. With this monster, we already know what his surviving victim endured and heard unverified stories from others who also suffered at the hands of this monster. To think that a lie would ease the pain does not seem true to me. But, it is just MHO.

And, if he lied, his deal would be voided. I think as horrible as it is a family member wants to know the truth in most cases. The idea that he gave a storied account that might have been refuted would have caused more pain over time. I have literally stood beside people as they hear of the horrible death a loved one endured, while it was shocking and revolting to hear details and know, it beat the alternative of what comes to mind. With this monster, we already know what his surviving victim endured and heard unverified stories from others who also suffered at the hands of this monster. To think that a lie would ease the pain does not seem true to me. But, it is just MHO.

The only thing they would be able to prove, now that they have his remains, is whether or not he was shot in the head. I disagree that most family members would want to know the gruesome details. I think most would prefer to hear that their child didn't suffer. I know I would---even if was a lie. As long as there was no way to know if it was a lie or not and I don't think in this case there is. But that's just me and JMO.

If this was his story, I think most sleuthers here would have said it didn't pass the smell test. I, for one, would have questioned why there was no blood in his car or on the road that would have been found by the extensive searches that went on. I have seen threads on here (Bosma) where weeks were spent trying to figure out who was in the car and the whether or not glass would have shattered if the gun was shot in the car as well as conversation about angle, trajectory, and intent.

My point is that even though the truth is horrifying and his actions despicable to harbor lies and deceit to lessen some pain does not help us develop profiles of the future monsters, dissect his thinking and behavior patterns and honor the last moments of the victims. I don't want there to be secret files on monsters that are never revealed to families (in order to shield them) and not have the world know just how horrifying these kinds of people are. But, that is just me.

I would guess that we all know of people that have had bad childhoods, bad experiences or tragedy happen to them that have gone on to live normal productive lives. So, how does someone get this messed up to think that they have the right to kidnap, sexually abuse, assault, exploit, and murder? Not to mention, thinking they are justified in taking away and defining how the family and friends of the victims live the rest of their lives. This monster literally stole the lives of so many people, granted they are still living and breathing, but I guarantee you they are not living their lives the same as they would have prior to the day the crime was committed to them or their loved one. Where is justice for them and why isn't that a criminal offense that's punishable by law?

Truth! I like what JS said about it--that it doesn't rule his life but it has shaped him. I guess I could say the same thing. I wanted to see justice done too--however, I don't think Heinrich will ever be released--thank God.

If my sources are wrong, and they could be, then that is the gravel pit. But the sources I've read place it one mile from the farm near the area where the bypass intersects the old highway 23. That construction destroyed the gravel pit. You can see it in 1991 aerials.

I go by several things .... first of all that whole farming area is dotted with gravel pits ... most of them are small and on farms and for their own personal use .... some are large for road building commercial haulers .... after the pit is dug they fill in with water and look mostly like ponds after a few years

But most of all DH said he was parked beside the highway , and when he changed locations he said he carried the remains across the highway .... does not sound like any of that would work if the pit was a mile away.

The one I circled in red beside the highway looks like the gravel seam has been dug out years ago and now has water in the seams so that could be the one DH said he parked at. Especially considering it has a convenient driveway entrance right there close to the highway.

Idiot reporters looking for a gravel pit today end up at the modern pit a mile away and publish the pictures and get it all wrong.

Too many people are creating monsters that do not exist. In plea deals no lying is permitted because the guilty person loses his agreed upon immunity if he has has not told the truth . DH has no reason to lie . he has nothing to gain and everything to lose , he has admitted to first degree murder so creating a fictional story about Bobcats would not help him at all.

If DH wanted to lie (to reduce sentence) he would not have mentioned the handcuffs and could say Jacob jumped out of a moving car and was killed by accident , but when they found the body had a bullet hole in the back of the head all deals are off.

If DH really wanted to get away with murder he could have remained just as silent as he has for the past 27 years.

But he has spoken up and confessed and now everybody is calling him a liar ..... sheesh.

If this was his story, I think most sleuthers here would have said it didn't pass the smell test. I, for one, would have questioned why there was no blood in his car or on the road that would have been found by the extensive searches that went on. I have seen threads on here (Bosma) where weeks were spent trying to figure out who was in the car and the whether or not glass would have shattered if the gun was shot in the car as well as conversation about angle, trajectory, and intent.

My point is that even though the truth is horrifying and his actions despicable to harbor lies and deceit to lessen some pain does not help us develop profiles of the future monsters, dissect his thinking and behavior patterns. I don't want there to be secret files on monsters that are never revealed to families (in order to shield them) and not have the world know just how horrifying these kinds of people are. But, that is just me.

I would want the truth.

But he could've been truthful without adding the tender details about what Jacob said (what did I do wrong, I'm cold, will you bring me home). Those tender details were not necessary and I think he included them out of cruelty.

Nobody has to agree with me. There is no way to prove it one way or another anyway. I just think he was using his power to inflict further pain on a wonderful family - he never had a wonderful family himself and I think he has spent a life of destruction because of it.

jmopinion

My point is that even though the truth is horrifying and his actions despicable to harbor lies and deceit to lessen some pain does not help us develop profiles of the future monsters, dissect his thinking and behavior patterns and honor the last moments of the victims. I don't want there to be secret files on monsters that are never revealed to families (in order to shield them) and not have the world know just how horrifying these kinds of people are. But, that is just me.

It passed the smell test before we knew exactly what happened. More than one person speculated that something was different this time because the killed his victim and it may have been that JW tried to run or get away and was shot. But each to their own and I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it.

It passed the smell test before we knew exactly what happened. More than one person speculated that something was different this time because the killed his victim and it may have been that JW tried to run or get away and was shot. But each to their own and I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it.

I can respect your opinions as well.

I go by several things .... first of all that whole farming area is dotted with gravel pits ... most of them are small and on farms and for their own personal use .... some are large for road building commercial haulers .... after the pit is dug they fill in with water and look mostly like ponds after a few years

But most of all DH said he was parked beside the highway , and when he changed locations he said he carried the remains across the highway .... does not sound like any of that would work if the pit was a mile away.

The one I circled in red beside the highway looks like the gravel seam has been dug out years ago and now has water in the seams so that could be the one DH said he parked at. Especially considering it has a convenient driveway entrance right there close to the highway.

Idiot reporters looking for a gravel pit today end up at the modern pit a mile away and publish the pictures and get it all wrong.

Too many people are creating monsters that do not exist. In plea deals no lying is permitted because the guilty person loses his agreed upon immunity if he has has not told the truth . DH has no reason to lie . he has nothing to gain and everything to lose , he has admitted to first degree murder so creating a fictional story about Bobcats would not help him at all.

If DH wanted to lie (to reduce sentence) he would not have mentioned the handcuffs and could say Jacob jumped out of a moving car and was killed by accident , but when they found the body had a bullet hole in the back of the head all deals are off.

If DH really wanted to get away with murder he could have remained just as silent as he has for the past 27 years.

But he has spoken up and confessed and now everybody is calling him a liar ..... sheesh.

Ok, I see your points. Here is how I see it:

1. Whether the gravel pit was one mile up the road or directly across the street, the complexity of this narrative doesn't change much. It is high.
2. "now everybody is calling him a liar" ... but ... he *is* a liar. That is objective fact.
3. What I'm curious about are the details of his confession that cannot be proven/disproven (but that appear unrealistic and therefore not reliable), not the parts actually impacting the plea deal.

Regarding reporting, I think we'll have to wait and see how that settles out because there is too much conflicting information. Needless to say, the same reporters locating that gravel pit are the same ones that say it doesn't currently exist, so I doubt they are confusing the correct one with an existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07