Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they didn't have enough detail with just photos to call them a definitive match. They would have had to have plaster casts of the footprints and tire prints instead of just photos to make it a certain match. Unless I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From http://www.startribune.com/danny-hei...ing/392438361/

“I placed Jacob in the grave and I covered him back up,” Heinrich said. He returned the equipment, covered the grave with grass and brush, then threw Wetterling’s tennis shoes into a ravine as he walked back home.

Heinrich returned a year later under the cover of darkness to find Jacob’s red jacket sticking out of the shallow grave.

BBM. Interesting. How ritualistic is he? I wonder. Keeping the evidence from others or keeping his trophy?

He walked back home?

I believe they didn't have enough detail with just photos to call them a definitive match. They would have had to have plaster casts of the footprints and tire prints instead of just photos to make it a certain match. Unless I missed something

They made plaster casts

Wonder if remnants of the shoes are still in that ravine?

I am sure he had a fantasy all detailed in his mind as to how his perversions would be this time.

He must have scouted out the location.

He kept Jared's u nderwear. Is there any indication all of Jacob's clothes were recovered? Why would he toss the shoes? I don't buy it.

I am sure he had a fantasy all detailed in his mind as to how his perversions would be this time.

He kept Jared's u nderwear. Is there any indication all of Jacob's clothes were recovered? Why would he toss the shoes? I don't buy it.

I haven't seen any full accounting for Jacob's personal effects (clothes, etc.).

In 1990, when they searched DH's home, police "expressed interest in photos of young males found in the home. Investigators did not confiscate the photos, as they were apparently not contraband or evidence of any crime."

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2831261/Heinrich-Defense-Memo-to-Supress-10116196487.pdf

Hm. Is this news to anyone else, or is it just me?

Then there is the indictment from 2015 detailing what their search of DH's home turned up...Not sure on the code for making text bold, so I put my points of concern in all caps. Who were the other missing children in the news footage?

"HOURS of video footage apparently surreptitiously recorded by the defendant of children delivering newspapers, recordings of news reports concerning the abduction of Victim B, and OTHER MISSING CHILDREN; and SEVERAL bins of boys' sized clothing."

http://wjon.com/files/2015/10/DanielHeinrichIndictment-Optimized.pdf

If I'm doing my math right DH was only 16 in 1982, not the likely culprit in Des Moines...

If I'm doing my math right DH was only 16 in 1982, not the likely culprit in Des Moines...
Born March 21, 1963, so 19, but I agree with you that even 19 is typically too young for such crime. There are exceptions, such as John Joubert.

That is why I am wondering if the body and the scene became the trophy that he visited. Was Jared's underwear ever found?

This made me sad. Derickson I am sorry you went through this. This world is a scary place and I cannot believe the number of people that are pedophiles.

I have to ask....Was your uncle ever reported for his crimes?

I would guess that we all know of people that have had bad childhoods, bad experiences or tragedy happen to them that have gone on to live normal productive lives. So, how does someone get this messed up to think that they have the right to kidnap, sexually abuse, assault, exploit, and murder? Not to mention, thinking they are justified in taking away and defining how the family and friends of the victims live the rest of their lives. This monster literally stole the lives of so many people, granted they are still living and breathing, but I guarantee you they are not living their lives the same as they would have prior to the day the crime was committed to them or their loved one. Where is justice for them and why isn't that a criminal offense that's punishable by law?

I would like to pose a question since I am new to the boards. I had to ask myself today--why am I so fascinated with this case? Was it the mystery? My sense of needing justice? After reading about Jacob's responses like "What did i do wrong?" or how he wanted to go home and then cried, it made me numb for about a half hour. Well, I found an answer to my question--at least in part....A few days before I turned 14, one of my good friends I went to school with, Eugene Martin, was kidnapped and has never been seen again. At the time, I was terrified, super anxious, nervous, just horribly upset by the news. I wasn't just upset because of what happened to Eugene, but my parents explained to me what happens when a young person is taken (most likely)--which made me feel worse than I did because just a few months before this, my uncle by marriage had begun molesting me. Now--I'm saying this not for attention or whatever (because I have already come out with this information about 10 years ago)-but just to put you in my mindset today. A few months before this happened, my uncle had taken me to a motel and promised me that a girl was coming to have sex with us. I was excited and scared at the same time--I knew it was wrong, but I was 13 and very curious--not unlike most 13 year old boys. When this 'girl' didn't show up, he wanted me to 'practice' with him. I became scared because he wanted me to do certain things that I didn't want to do and I felt trapped in this room with him, so I bolted--at least I tried to. He blocked me from the door and we got into a wrestling match, and he was much stronger than me. He began choking me so hard I nearly passed out. I don't remember how I got him off of me--all I remember is somehow escaping, running outside the motel and crying. I tried to go to the front of the motel when he came out. I asked him to take me home. Stupid as I was, he could have easily taken me somewhere else and killed me. I wasn't thinking about that--I just wanted to go home. He took me home. I never told my parents or anyone until 2001, when I was 30. Now fast forward a few months in August to when Eugene was kidnapped. I wanted to tell my parents about my uncle but I was afraid either they wouldn't believe me or that I would be in a lot of trouble. So, hearing about Eugene really screwed me up inside. Then to top it all off about 3 weeks after Eugene disappeared, school started. Sometime in that first week (I can't remember if it was the 1st day or 2nd day--probably the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd day of school), I was walking to catch a bus with a friend. I wanted to walk another 5 blocks to catch the bus downtown so I could check out some new baseball cards. My friend didn't want to come with me so i went on alone. A few minutes later, I thought a car was following me, and i stopped to look and I was right. A man pulled up beside me and asked if i needed a ride, where I was headed. My "Eugene antenna" went up as I said no I didn't need one. I distinctly remember quickly looking for an escape route when the man turned into an abandoned lot to my right (he had to cross in front of me). He got out of his car and before his second foot could hit the ground I was gone. I was damn fast too. I ran maybe 2 or 3 blocks when he finally stopped following me after doing a U in the parking lot. I ran into the front office of a used car lot and called my Dad. We called the police, but yep---they never showed up. We left and went home.

So--I was thinking about this today--Why am I so interested in this case? It finally dawned on me this afternoon. I wanted to know what would have happened to me if this man had gotten ahold of me. Would I have cried out? asked to go home? Today has been unnerving to say the least. Looking back, it is hard to believe all that happened to me within a span of months, but it did. Nothing that dramatic like that has happened to me since then--at least not in a bad way. I guess today I put myself in his shoes and from experience, I could empathize with how he must have felt. So I ask you all--why are you so interested in this case? I'd like to know--maybe it will help me stop shaking and go to sleep--[/QUOTE]

I haven't read the entire thread yet but I've seen a lot of "why would he fire a gun twice if he was so spooked by the police driving by" type posts. I think these people are missing what exactly he was spooked about. I didn't take it as he was too spooked to make noises minutes after the police car was long gone. I took it as he was afraid to drive on any sort of main road with JEW in the car after seeing that deputies as far away as Paynesville were apparently responding. He obviously didn't want to let JEW go 1.5 miles from his house and was afraid that driving anywhere with him in his car after that point would lead to him being pulled over and caught red handed.

The entire lack of planning on how to deal with a body leads me to believe that he actually didn't set out that night to kill anyone. That doesn't change the fact that he did in fact commit murder and is an irredeemable monster that deserves any and all bad things coming to him.

Quick question. Since we know he dug two graves at different times. does anyone think maybe he held him somewhere for more than 24 hours? Considering we only have his word on it and he's possibly lied or as someone said whitewashed his story. Could he have taken him to his mom's home maybe? That might be why he moved to his father's later. Would she protect him if this was the case?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quick question. Since we know he dug two graves at different times. does anyone think maybe he held him somewhere for more than 24 hours? Considering we only have his word on it and he's possibly lied or as someone said whitewashed his story. Could he have taken him to his mom's home maybe? That might be why he moved to his father's later. Would she protect him if this was the case?

I highly doubt it. Neither you or I would just look the other way.

1. He had absolutely no reason to lie with his immunity deal. In fact that would jeopardize it.
2. The last thing any criminal wants to do is needlessly expose their crimes to anyone not necassary to their ability to commit them. I'd assume his mother made him leave for being a no good worthless weirdo. How long would any of us allow a freeloading weirdo kid leech off of us before saying enough is enough you're on your own?

I highly doubt it. Neither you or I would just look the other way.

1. He had absolutely no reason to lie with his immunity deal. In fact that would jeopardize it.
2. The last thing any criminal wants to do is needlessly expose their crimes to anyone not necassary to their ability to commit them. I'd assume his mother made him leave for being a no good worthless weirdo. How long would any of us allow a freeloading weirdo kid leech off of us before saying enough is enough you're on your own?
I kinda feel the same way. It would be too risky. I was just curious if anyone thought that. If he shot him I'm sure he had blood on him. Maybe she saw it. I think his parents knew what he was honestly. A monster. I do hope they are looking into other similar cases.

I kinda feel the same way. It would be too risky. I was just curious if anyone thought that. If he shot him I'm sure he had blood on him. Maybe she saw it. I think his parents knew what he was honestly. A monster. I do hope they are looking into other similar cases.

I understand the sentiment but in this case I think he acted totally solo. From what I've read all this likely occurred because an acquaintance of his mother's molested him "by the river" when he was just an adolescent and people knew and made fun of him because of this. Also a lot of parents have a huge blind spot when it comes to their kids in that they can only see the good. There's no shortage of hardened criminals whose parents will tell you that they are angels. That's just human nature.

I was eight years old living in a Twin Cities suburb with a law enforcement father when the abduction occurred. It forever changed how us children lived and he was forever in our minds after that. I still vividly remember the elementary school assembly with the local police we had right after it happened. Everyone I know still thinks about what happened to him when our kids go outside today. The conclusion to his story is absolutely crushing but I like to believe that the lessons that were learned have since saved multiple lives.

He didn't deserve any of what happened to him and for that our hearts will forever ache.

*deleted for personalizing*

So true. He could have said JW tried to jump out of the car as he was on his way to a secluded place and he shot him in the back of the head as he was jumping out and died instantly. He could have saved his family the agony of knowing exactly what terror the last hours/minutes of his life really were and how much he suffered.
He also could have told a much worse story to make himself look like a more "accomplished" perp and really torture the family.. I'm glad he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie