State v. Bradley Cooper 4-29-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the defense motion to dismiss based on lack of evidence by prosecution were granted, the defendant could not be tried, as I understand it, as it would be double jeopardy.

I know comments about posts are discouraged but your replies are very useful and insightful. Can you shed any light for me on american law as it pertains to civil trial and the burden of proof? I seem to Remember with a trial like O.J. it was lower and easier to convict. Also if it's nc's family (canadians) and they are suing BC (canadian) can it be done in U.S. as that is where the alleged crime took place?

I don't think CISCO really wanted to get involved in this matter. Kinda like stuck in the middle of a really bad situation. Not sure was requested from any search warrant etc.

Once this trial started and defense team started making it out like not only was LE but CISCO inept, I think someone over at CISCO (possibly after employee's testified) decided to do more checking into what lil ole Bradley had been up to back in the day.

JMO of course.

I missed where the Defense made out that Cisco was inept? When did they do that?

Based on what Boz said, it seems he now wants us to think BC had planned to murder NC since January, he is bringing up January pings.

Since evidence shows that computer was connected to VPN, then they would not have been able to gain access to the computer by hacking into wireless network. VPN software blocks access through local networks.

No it doesn't. You can still share through windows, remote desktop, ssh, etc. from the LAN.

I think it would be enough to sway the jury.

This has been the weakest part of the state's case IMO - all so hypothetical. BC had the knowledge how to do this which is fact, he USED TO have the right hardware in the house (since he had installed the VoIP network previously) so that's another fact. And that's where it falls apart. Everything else about the call faking is speculation. And then - when no equipment was found in the house that even COULD support the call faking - I think you lost a lot of folks to NG, or at least not beyond RD.

Now - if you prove that an FXO supportable router was in fact in USE less than 12 hours prior to Nancy's death and then it was not found in the home when the home was secured or even in pictures taken on 7/12 - it makes me think that in addition to all this cleaning, that BC also redid his home network conveniently the day of his wife's death. Not just redid, mind you but disposed of Cisco property in the process (so the folks that say he was just a dedicated employee working on the weekend can't use that if he tossed out hardware Cisco paid for...) Really? Who DOES this?

Answer - someone with something to hide.

agreed...this is the smoking gun.

It didn't have to be at his house to be used.

I think the log from the laptop will show that it was locally connected.
I hope we get some technically competent reporting from the courtroom this afternoon.

My laymans interpretation of the defense expert, was that he was basing much of his *opinions* on the work product of JWard. JW, IMO, was discredited as an expert, and his work product was derived by means not determined to be accurate. Had this new expert been hired and given the material right from the start, I wouldn't have a problem hearing from him. As a lay person, I don't trust the work product of JWard, and in his posting here at WS, he himself stated 'he told the defense he wasn't an expert in forensic examination of computers.' IMO, that tells me the defense should have politiely thanked him and moved along to find an expert who was tenured as such. MOO Attempting to bring in the new expert, who is basing much of his opinions on the work product of someone who admitted to NOT being a forensic computer expert, rubs me the wrong way and IMO open's up a whole new can of worms. MOO

JW was not discredited as an expert. And the expert from yesterday said JW was fully qualified to read the material and it in fact does fall under his expertise as a network security expert.

This has been the weakest part of the state's case IMO - all so hypothetical. BC had the knowledge how to do this which is fact, he USED TO have the right hardware in the house (since he had installed the VoIP network previously) so that's another fact. And that's where it falls apart. Everything else about the call faking is speculation. And then - when no equipment was found in the house that even COULD support the call faking - I think you lost a lot of folks to NG, or at least not beyond RD.

Now - if you prove that an FXO supportable router was in fact in USE less than 12 hours prior to Nancy's death and then it was not found in the home when the home was secured or even in pictures taken on 7/12 - it makes me think that in addition to all this cleaning, that BC also redid his home network conveniently the day of his wife's death. Not just redid, mind you but disposed of Cisco property in the process (so the folks that say he was just a dedicated employee working on the weekend can't use that if he tossed out hardware Cisco paid for...) Really? Who DOES this?

If the router was at the office and not at his house then there would be record of any spoofed call.

Based on what Boz said, it seems he now wants us to think BC had planned to murder NC since January, he is bringing up January pings.

It has been my interpretation, based on the internal purchase of the FXO router @ Cisco by BC in Jan 08, the "suicide" searches (not privy to the jury) in Feb 08, the e-mail interception of NCs by BC in Apr 08, the initial sep agreement Apr 08, BC confiscating the birth certs etc in Apr 08, there appears to be evidence of what could be interpreted (hind-sight) as planning as early as Jan 08.

This has all been out there for discussion since what, Tuesday? Everyone was in such a tizzy over ducks and necklaces though, that it got lost in the shuffle.

THey should have taken pictures of the dust about the computer equipment. My routers and my modem have more dust than anywhere else in my house. If someone changed a configuration I think it would have been evident in their house.

Anyone want to talk on a hypothetical?
Let's say that the log on the laptop indicates that a Cisco 3825 was in BC's house on July 11 at 10:30pm. Remembering that a 3825 would support an FXO port that could be used to spoof a call.
Would this move anyone to the G side of the fence?

It would move me to most likely guilty.

ETA: Of course, that's about where I am anyways...it would just move me farther in that direction

Okay. So if it was proven that the router was there on July 11 and missing as of July 12 - that wouldn't give anyone pause??

It would be pretty damning. The question is what is the states definition of 'prove' in this instance. Before the trial I thought for sure they were able to prove the phone stuff more than they had at this point.

Hypothetical, but no, that would not move me to the guilty side of the fence. I would need information that the call WAS spoofed, not "could be used to spoof a call".

I can still change my mind and hop over the fence. But that would not be enough for me. JMO

If they prove one was there July 11 but not July 12, then the only logical explanation for me is that he ditched it somewhere. And the only reason to ditch it is to hide the evidence associated with it. So it makes the spoofed call much more of a reality. But I have a feeling if it is allowed, it's not going to be so straightforward, and the defense will be able to show that it was accessed through the vpn tunnel. Pure speculation on my part.

If the router was at the office and not at his house then there would be record of any spoofed call.

If the ROUTER was used to connect to the VPN - then it COULD NOT have been at CISCO.

In order for BC to have accessed the router if it was in the office (and oh, Cisco doesn't have the router..) he would have had to tunnel in VIA THE VPN first - and if he went through the FXO supportable router when he logged on to his VPN - then it was in his home. If VPN is tied to the FXO supportable router - that is the smoking gun to match the Google map search.

And if that VPN access is late in the evening of the 11th - well - then to me that means he did the call spoofing set up that night. MAJOR premeditation - not just the time it took to strangle.

One last thing - I also believe he'd been planning this for much longer than just that night.

And how to fake them. Probably not relevant at this point.

My only point was that expert knowledge is not required by defense or prosecution team to decode the mac address.

If you're implying that the someone planted a forged entry in the log file, then forgot to tell the prosecution until after they have presented their case-in-chief, then you're really stretching.

A 3825 is big(4"x18"x15"), heavy(23lbs), loud(50dBA), and hot(8A). Nobody would want one in a living area of a house. If it was in the house, it was there for a short time for a specific purpose.

If a 3825 is proven to be in the house on the night of the murder, to me this is akin to finding the smoking murder weapon.

Given there are much smaller ones that could accomplish what he is accused of doing (such as the 2600), why would he use a 3825 instead?

My opinion has been he started planning it for sure as early as April. I have posted that I thought February was just as likely. And I can certainly even fit January into my frame of mind. Falls in line with when he admitted the affair and that he loved HM. My opinion is when NC didn't pack up and move back to Canada immediately upon the confession then he started trying to figure a way to get rid of her while keeping his money in his pocket and adding $75,000 to the coffer to boot. He underestimated Nancy's grit and resolve to not make it easy on him to be a free man. I believe he thought she was so miserable she would hit the trail back to Canada ASAP and not ask him for a thing - and that didn't happen. I truly wish Nancy had taken the opportunity then to run - run as fast as she could back to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong