En Blanc Hearing

@ Saul Vesalot, you make some really good points in your post. I have personally never heard argument in an en banc hearing before so it's difficult to gauge what is expected in this type of hearing, and if what we have read about them they are rare. I also thought LN could of made some better points about Dassey's coerced confession, but she is very well versed in case law and put forth some good analogies IMO. What was it that actually needed to be proven legally to convince that panel of judges that BD's confession was within legal bounds of procedure? There is only so much that an attorney can convince from.

Karinna, read the article I just posted. There is a lot of information in there and may put some things into perspective.

For example, "For a confession to be admissible in court, it must be made voluntarily, that is, it must be noncoerced. Confessions are deemed to be coerced if the police explicitly threaten harm or punishment or promise
leniency.

Confessions are also excluded from legal proceedings if it can be shown that suspects did not understand or appreciate their
Miranda rights.

This speaks to what Saul was saying above "Mentally ill defendants, particularly defendants with psychotic disorders, are significantly less likely to understand their interrogation rights than defendants who are not mentally ill."

It was noted by one of the judges, that in Brendan's retelling of what he did to TH in the confession, that he was "all over the map" as she put it. So he couldn't have done all those things and there were too many holes in what he was telling. That would surely i hope tell the panel of judges that BD had no idea of what happened to TH, so must of been a made up narrative?

Just because the story may have been made up, I don't think is enough to get him out. In that same article, " In Colorado v. Connelly (9), a case involving a mentally ill defendant, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that a suspect's mental condition alone is insufficient for a finding that a confession was coerced.
Rather, it must be demonstrated that the police used coercive techniques.

..and the article hits the nail on the head. "Examining contemporary police interrogation techniques with an eye toward persons
with mental illness only heightens the concern that such persons may not be adequately protected".

Wonder how all that will affect BD because he was granted habeas relief? So much legal jargon to wrap our heads around, lol.

From what I understand... the (1) is about whether the state court applied the appropriate Federal laws... one's in which the Supreme Court has already ruled on and there is precedent. (2) is about whether the state court used the facts to come to a determination. I think the 2nd one is about the totality of the circumstances that we hear them say numerous times.

I also recall during the last 7th circuit hearing that it was mentioned that the State ruling was very brief and they never explained themselves so there is no way to determine if they weighed the "totality of the circumstances" or not to come to their conclusion years ago that the interrogation was voluntary.

JMO because I'm not a lawyer :scared:

Fate of 'Making a Murderer' teen hangs in balance
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-brendan-dassey-0927-chicago-inc-20170926-story.html

I'll finish off the transcript when I have so free time.

But, I have a question??

Should Berg be arguing with the judges like he did? Seems arrogant to me and it if were me, I'd be put off by his display of arrogance and defensive stance.

He was like that the last time too, remember he kept reminding the judges that it was a habeas hearing, like they didn't know LOL

In the end, I got the sense that there were 3 for Brendan, and 3 against Brendan and the voices were so similar I couldn't fully recognize any other different voices. It wasn't nearly as one sided as I was hoping. It seems like there is one judge who will tip the balance either way.

Sorry it is so long, just my thoughts from my listen through.

RSBM

I agree with a lot of what you said Saul...

"The truth will set you free" ... Nirider used the words that the Judges used in their previous decisions.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DasseyDecision.pdf
Page 50 of the 7th Circuit court ruling

If the totality of the circumstances standard means any‐
thing, it means that a state court must, at a bare minimum,
do what the rule requires and consider the totality of the cir‐
cumstances. A state court need not say much, but the less it
says, the less a federal court can ascertain that the state actu‐
ally applied a totality of the circumstances evaluation.**

And at the very least a court assessing the voluntariness
of a juvenile’s confession must evaluate whether deceptive
interrogation techniques overcame the free will of this par‐
ticular defendant. Missing entirely from the state appellate
court’s analysis is any recognition that deception that is
permissible when interrogating the average adult person of
ordinary intelligence, might not be permissible with some‐
one of Dassey’s age and intellect. For example, the state ap‐
pellate court never considered whether the statement “the
truth will set you free”
would be considered idiomatically or
literally by someone of Dassey’s age and limitations. Indeed

Page 88

d. The combined effect of the promises.

The false promises—that he will be “alright,” that “it is
not his fault” that “the truth will set him free” clearly affect‐
ed the voluntariness of Dassey’s confession. Villalpando, 588
F.3d at 1128 (“a false promise [of leniency] has the unique
potential to make a decision to speak irrational and the re‐
sulting confession unreliable.”) The message Dassey heard
loudly and clearly was that “the truth” was the key to his
freedom, and “the truth” meant those things that the interrogators
wanted him to say if taken literally, that statement is the exact
kind of promise of leniency that courts generally find coercive.
Hadley, 368 F.3d at 749 (police cannot extract a confession in
exchange for a false promise to set the defendant free);
Rutledge, 900F.2d at 1129 (same).**​

She was using the the statements that 2 of the 7 judges had already ruled that combined lead to it being an involuntary confession.

Karinna... the first excerpt from the decision is a good example of 2254 (d)(2).... did the state court weight the totality of the circumstances when making their decision.

It was also a big part of Duffin's decision:

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...8/Dassey-Habeas-Corpus-Decision-and-Order.pdf
page 81

Wiegert also told Dassey that “honesty is the only thing that will set you free.”
(ECF No. 19-25 at 17). Granted, that statement is just an idiom, see John 8:32 (“… and
you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free”), and routinely understood
not to be taken literally, see, e.g., People v. Thompson, 2013 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 4324
(Cal. App. 2d Dist. June 20, 2013) (“With respect to possible coercion, the court found
the detective’s comment, ‘the truth will set you free’ was a general statement about
relieving one’s conscience rather than a promise of freedom.”); State v. Osborne, 2002
Me. Super. LEXIS 266 (Me. Super. Ct. Sept. 25, 2002) (“The court interprets [the truth
will set you free] to mean that telling the truth will ease the Defendant’s conscience.”);
Edwards v. State, 793 So. 2d 1044, 1048 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 4th Dist. 2001) (“the ‘truth
shall set you free’ statement, although questionable, amounts to nothing more than
encouragement to tell the truth. Surely, Edwards did not think the truth would literally
set him free. The investigators simply were appealing to Edwards’ religious background
in encouraging him not to lie.”). However, some courts have criticized its use by
interrogators. See, e.g., Morgan v. State, 681 So. 2d 82, 88, 96-97 (Miss. 1996). And,
especially relevant here, testing revealed that idioms were an aspect of abstract
language that Dassey had difficulty understanding. (ECF No. 19-20 at 79.)

I think it was all about going with what worked before and what 3 of the judges already said that Brendan would have a hard time understanding the meaning and should have been considered.

All JMO

Fate of 'Making a Murderer' teen hangs in balance
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-brendan-dassey-0927-chicago-inc-20170926-story.html

I read this article earlier today, this one says that it was Easterbrook that kept quiet, but I have read elsewhere that it was Kanne, so who knows. Not sure why they can't do video, it would be so much easier to understand if you can see who is talking.

Karinna, read the article I just posted. There is a lot of information in there and may put some things into perspective.

For example, "For a confession to be admissible in court, it must be made voluntarily, that is, it must be noncoerced. Confessions are deemed to be coerced if the police explicitly threaten harm or punishment or promise
leniency.

Confessions are also excluded from legal proceedings if it can be shown that suspects did not understand or appreciate their
Miranda rights.

This speaks to what Saul was saying above "Mentally ill defendants, particularly defendants with psychotic disorders, are significantly less likely to understand their interrogation rights than defendants who are not mentally ill."

Thanks BCA will read it soon when i get some spare time & thanks for posting it up.

He was like that the last time too, remember he kept reminding the judges that it was a habeas hearing, like they didn't know LOL

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong,....but...I thought Brad Schimel spoke in front of the judges the last time and this was the new guy that they brought on from Sheboygan. The Deputy Solicitor General.

Oh~~and by the way~~Luke Berg clerked for Judge Diane Sykes on the US Court of Appeals for the 7th District. She was the Judge that asked the hard questions to Laura Nirider.

So, since Berg is her boy....you can't count her in on the against Dassey vote.

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/exec-profile/luke-berg

So if Luke Berg clerked for Judge Diane Sykes, doesn't that pose a conflict of interest in this case? Shouldn't he have recused himself from the case?

So if Luke Berg clerked for Judge Diane Sykes, doesn't that pose a conflict of interest in this case? Shouldn't he have recused himself from the case?

Is it for certain a conflict of interest? How do we find out and know that?

Is it for certain a conflict of interest? How do we find out and know that?

I'm not certain it would be a conflict or not, that is why I posed the question, hoping someone else that knew might clue us in.

I'm not certain it would be a conflict or not, that is why I posed the question, hoping someone else that knew might clue us in.

I agree it would be good to know. It would be interesting for sure if Berg should of recused himself. I wonder if the en banc hearing would be valid in that case?

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong,....but...I thought Brad Schimel spoke in front of the judges the last time and this was the new guy that they brought on from Sheboygan. The Deputy Solicitor General.

Oh~~and by the way~~Luke Berg clerked for Judge Diane Sykes on the US Court of Appeals for the 7th District. She was the Judge that asked the hard questions to Laura Nirider.

So, since Berg is her boy....you can't count her in on the against Dassey vote.

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/exec-profile/luke-berg

Nope, it was Berg the first time too. I think he's the Assistant Attorney General. Schimel was there though, he said after the hearing that if they had to. they will retry Brendan, that they have "other evidence". They didn't have any the first time around, but sure they do :facepalm:

As for the conflict of interest... I'm not sure, there seems to be a lot of "ties" in the legal community, not all of them are a conflict of interest.

and to clear up the conflict of interest issue.... tweet by Drizin (Brendan's lawyer)

Steven A Drizin‏ @SDrizin 45m45 minutes ago

This is non-issue.Former clerks appear in front of judges all the time.Some judges will recuse for period of time.Most don't.Move on.Please.

Steve Drizin used to clerk for Rovner.

(quote)
Federal Judges Torch Wisconsin Prosecutor During Brendan Dassey Arguments
Luke Berg appeared to be doomed from the start. He was there to argue the State of Wisconsin’s case against Brendan Dassey, whose conviction for the murder of Teresa Halbach had been overturned by a lower court. Before Berg’s argument in front of the Seventh Circuit even began, it was announced that due to a power outage, the podium lights in the courtroom were out and could not be fixed in time. Being mired in darkness seemed to be the theme for the day for Berg, who was hounded by the judges’ questions and accusations, without so much as a flicker of an answer that satisfied them.
https://lawnewz.com/high-profile/fe...n-prosecutor-during-brendan-dassey-arguments/

RSBM

I agree with a lot of what you said Saul...

"The truth will set you free" ... Nirider used the words that the Judges used in their previous decisions.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DasseyDecision.pdf
Page 50 of the 7th Circuit court ruling

If the totality of the circumstances standard means any‐
thing, it means that a state court must, at a bare minimum,
do what the rule requires and consider the totality of the cir‐
cumstances. A state court need not say much, but the less it
says, the less a federal court can ascertain that the state actu‐
ally applied a totality of the circumstances evaluation.**

And at the very least a court assessing the voluntariness
of a juvenile’s confession must evaluate whether deceptive
interrogation techniques overcame the free will of this par‐
ticular defendant. Missing entirely from the state appellate
court’s analysis is any recognition that deception that is
permissible when interrogating the average adult person of
ordinary intelligence, might not be permissible with some‐
one of Dassey’s age and intellect. For example, the state ap‐
pellate court never considered whether the statement “the
truth will set you free”
would be considered idiomatically or
literally by someone of Dassey’s age and limitations. Indeed
I think it was all about going with what worked before and what 3 of the judges already said that Brendan would have a hard time understanding the meaning and should have been considered.

All JMO

That makes sense, tactically. But when you look at the situation overall, it is very frustrating that Brendan's life will be determined in large part whether or not a bunch of people think he knew what the phrase "the truth will set you free" means. If I spent 25 years listing problems with the case, I likely would never have come up with the "the truth will set you free" statement on my own.

Hopefully the Kachinsky incompetency will sway minds. I wish his crapulence got more attention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back