Dr. Phil Paying for Rebecca's Body to be Exhumed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the state's attorney general given permission to have the body exhumed?

Wow. What WON'T Dr. Phil do for ratings? I'd like to think he has good intentions, but I just don't see it.

Yes! Please, this needs to be done. Rebecca has not been forgotten. May the truth come out finally.

Has the state's attorney general given permission to have the body exhumed?

..why would the AG need to her permission for that? it would up to the family to decide if they wanted the body exhumed..

http://www.10news.com/news/29576810/detail.html
Zahau Family Says Donations To Pay For Body Exhumation

--snipped--

Zahau-Loehner issued the following statement to 10News on Tuesday, claiming that the exhumation will be paid for by donations:

This is my official response please don't edit the info.

I want to thank for all the support and donation we have received. Due to the generosity of the public, we will be able to proceed with exhumation of Rebecca to find the truth of her death. Dr. Wecht has been kind and generous to help us with an independent autopsy.

We would appreciate further donations and support in anyway. The venture of Justice for Rebecca is going to be long and challenging. This is only the beginning of that journey and it is possible due to the tremendous support and generosity of the public, experts, news media, and our attorney Anne Bremner.

Donation is accepted at http://www.RebeccaZahauFund.com
Mary Zahau-Loehner.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/132545568.html
NBC - San Diego - CA
Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011
Rebecca Zahau's Family Denies Dr. Phil Paying to Exhume Body
---snipped--

While national media reports suggest talk show host Phil McGraw is paying for the exhumation of Coronado murder victim Rebecca Zahau, the woman's family says those reports are not true, however he has made a donation.

On Dr. Drew, they said she has already been exhumed? Is this true?

Yes, I heard the body has already been exhumed and is on the way to Pennsylvania.
I'm concerned with what Radar's saying that the Attorney General has to acknowledge a reopening of this case first for the findings to carry any weight. I'd be interested in what legal experts think.

So glad a thread was started for this! i cannot believe my ears to the point I had to rewind my DVR and make sure I heard this correctly LOL OMG Dr. Phil has stooped to a new low the sky is the limit with him. had he gotten advice prior to this endeavor if that reporter on Dr. Drew is correct this is murky legal waters and the results cannot be used in court. I dont know if that is true but what other reason could Dr Phil have other than sensation and ratings?

If he can get this case opened again then i will eat my words cause I was very upset for this womans family and I did not buy the suicide story for one second however according to the lady on Dr. Drew the case is closed period. we shall see I guess

Glad to hear this. I totally believe she was murdered.

From Dr Drew's show - Oct. 25

SMITH: Welcome back. I`m Ryan Smith sitting in for Dr. Drew.

Breaking news tonight. Check this out. There are reports that the "Dr. Phil" Show is helping exhume the body of Coronado Mansion Death`s victim Rebecca Zahau.

Now, an attorney for the family tells FOX 5 San Diego that Dr. Phil is not paying to have Rebecca Zahau`s body exhumed, but his producers on the show promise to donate to a fund set up by the Zahau Family.

Now, police maintain that Rebecca hung herself after her millionaire boyfriend, Jonah Shacknai`s 6-year-old son Max was fatally injured while she was babysitting. But her family insists that Rebecca did not take her own life.

Now, we reached out to the "Dr. Phil" Show, they`re not going to confirm or deny these reports. A spokesperson says, quote, "We endorse the family`s effort to search for closure to this terrible tragedy and we will stand with them going forward as they navigate through their grieving process."

Now, the family is going to be meeting with Dr. Phil in November, but let`s talk about this because you see this - and we`ve talked about this case many times. I know you`ve heard it many times on the "Dr. Phil Show." And now, a show getting involved with the exhumation, you have to ask yourself, well, how does this work with the police?

And I want to bring in RadarOnline.com legal editor Jen Heger, also attorney Lauren Lake. And Jen, I`m going to start with you because, here, the police have ruled this a suicide, right? They have closed this case.

JEN HEGER, LEGAL EDITOR, RADARONLINE.COM: They`ve closed the case. Absolutely.

SMITH: So the family clearly believes this isn`t a suicide.

HEGER: The family believes it`s not a suicide, and they have implored the California Attorney General and other officials to reopen the case. The problem is, Anne Bremner never formally sent a letter to the California Attorney General.

You`re getting into all kinds of murky waters now, with having the "Dr. Phil Show" make a donation, reportedly, to the Zahau family fund to have Rebecca`s body exhumed. I`m told that it`s actually been exhumed already and it`s en route to Pennsylvania, where Cyril Wecht is going to be doing an autopsy.

They very well could find something. However, if they do find something that isn`t conclusive with what the San Diego Sheriff`s Department found, how can that ever be admitted into court, into evidence? Because this is a third party, it`s not an interested party in this investigation that has essentially been closed.

This is - this would be tainted evidence, not admissible in any sort of court, ever.

SMITH: You know what? You make a great point. And let`s go back to what police said when they were talking about this case because police say they investigated this case, and they said that they found that this was a suicide. Take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SHERIFF BILL GORE, SAN DIEGO COUNTY SHERIFF`S DEPARTMENT: Was Rebecca`s death a homicide? Again, the answer is no. It was a suicide.

To reach these conclusions we relied in substantial measure upon the physical evidence.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

SMITH: You know, Lauren Lake, let`s talk about that. If they do find something, what happens then?

Because I think Jen makes a great point. You`ve exhumed the body, but you`ve also tampered with the body. And - and, unfortunately, as much as they might want justice, the police are the ones who need to be able to make that call in the investigation, right?

LAUREN LAKE, ATTORNEY: Yes. This is really tough, and these are some extraordinary circumstances, and I`m trying to think why in the world would a person have a body of their child, their loved one, exhumed - I mean, unless they truly believed, truly believed there is no way this could be a suicide.

However, here we go exhuming the body and doing all of these examinations. What is going to be compelling enough? What are they going to find that would make the San Diego County Sheriff`s Department reopen this case and then do additional investigation? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just don`t see that happening.

So then, all of this - these findings that they`re going to have, as the - the woman said from Radar Online, they`re not going to be admitted into any court of law unless they present something so compelling, which I don`t believe the San Diego County Sheriff`s Department is going to buy it.

I think they have ruled this a suicide, and but for - I mean, something extraordinarily compelling, Ryan, this is pretty - this is pretty - pretty deep stuff. I just don`t see it.

SMITH: You know what? But I feel for the family here.

LAKE: Me, too.

SMITH: And, here`s the thing. I want to play this for you because, you know, this is a family that is desperate for answers. They`re so desperate for help that, you know, we have to ask, you know, what are they willing to do?

So, here`s the thing. They appeared on the DR. DREW SHOW just a little while ago. Rebecca`s sister talked about this search for justice, this search for answers. Take a look at what she told Dr. Drew back in September.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DREW PINSKY, HOST: Did she ever have any strange thinking or strange ideas or anything that could have suddenly spiraled out of control?

MARY ZAHAU, REBECCA`S SISTER (via telephone): Definitely not. You know, I think every one of us have hard times in our lives where we get upset, we`re sad for a few days in our lives, but all of us deal with it differently. And, for Rebecca, it`s her family and her faith. That`s how she deals with it.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

SMITH: And, not only that, here`s another reason, Jen, why I have always wondered about this case. Rebecca Zahau, when they found her, was, allegedly, from what we know, naked, hog tied, but committed suicide.

So she`s got her arms and legs tied, and I have never understood about this case how police believe that is a suicide. I just don`t know how you do that without somebody involved.

HEGER: Absolutely. I have been very vocal, in fact, to the point where the San Diego Sheriff`s Department will not even talk to me now, in pressuring law enforcement to reopen this case.

I feel for this family. They believed that their sister did not commit suicide.

However, I`m concerned with the route that they`re going now, with going on TV, with the "Dr. Phil Show," that this should be done. They - perhaps they should be doing this another way. They should be working with the California Attorney General, with the FBI, doing this behind closed doors, to truly get justice for Rebecca and get the answers. Because as we pointed out, you - you go on TV, you have this autopsy -

SMITH: Yes.

HEGER: You know, that`s not going to be admitted.

SMITH: But I - I don`t know how they get answers, and that`s a tough situation for them.

Now, coming up, an attorney for Rebecca Zahau`s family says her body will be exhumed and examined by a famous medical examiner. That`s Cyril Wecht. The question we`re talking about, what could he find?

SMITH: Tonight, breaking news. Sources tell us that the "Dr. Phil Show" is helping to exhume the body of Coronado Mansion Death`s victim Rebecca Zahau.

Now, our guest, Jen Heger, just said that the body has already been exhumed, it`s been flown to Pennsylvania. Now, an attorney for the family tells Fox 5 San Diego that Dr. Phil isn`t paying for the exhumation, but - listen to this - the producers on his show have promised to donate to a fund set up by the Zahau family.

Does that sound right to you? Well, you know what? It sounds familiar to me. You know why? Take a look at this video.

Do you remember this interview? Remember this, George and Cindy Anthony, talking to the "Dr. Phil Show," having a conversation with him?

Now, this was the first time the "Dr. Phil Show" - and, as we were talking about this, they - they didn`t really say they were paying for this interview, but, Jen, in order to obtain an exclusive interview with Casey`s parents, George and Cindy, they admit they donated $250,000. It`s a hefty donation, to a fund set up in Caylee`s memory.

And, you know what, we don`t want to criticize the show. Those are, I guess, noble intentions, and we know that George and Cindy are hoping to do a lot of things in Caylee`s memory. But, here`s the thing. Is this part of the MO of the "Dr. Phil Show," and - and when is all this airing?

HEGER: Well this - I`m told the show is going to air, with the Zahau sisters and Anne Bremner, during the coveted, much coveted, November sweeps.

SMITH: Yes.

HEGER: Which, you have to wonder if, you know, this is for ratings. Let`s - let`s not be stupid about that. This is being done for ratings, OK? Dr. Phil is doing this for the ratings, plain and simple.

SMITH: You know, I hate to think he`s doing that. I - I would like to think that they are trying to help. Now, this family has - you know, they`re - they`re in a tough situation and he`s just trying to help. But those facts make me think that, yes, it helps the show, too.

HEGER: It helps the show. I mean, we know that the George and Cindy Anthony with Dr. Phil, it was record ratings for him, for his season premier this year. And it is expensive, I`m sure, to exhume Rebecca`s body, to have an autopsy conducted. The family doesn`t have the means to pay for it.

Like I said, you know, I empathize completely with the family. I`m very concerned that they are compromising any future criminal charges that could be filed.

SMITH: And that`s going to be the key.

And, Lauren Lake, then, what can they do? Because I think all of us feel the frustration for the Zahau family, but what are they supposed to do?

The police have closed the investigation. They say it`s a suicide. The Zahaus are begging, please, take another look. They don`t want to do anything. What else are they supposed to do, especially when the "Dr. Phil Show" comes calling and says, look, I`m willing to help you. What else can they do?

LAKE: Well, this family obviously feels like their back`s against the wall, and they`re going to do whatever is necessary to keep the attention on this young woman`s death or so-called suicide, the way it was ruled. And if they have to go on TV and have an autopsy report, and maybe they`re going to - think they`re going to find such compelling results that`s going to shame the - you know, the county sheriff`s office to reopen the case, where this is just so compelling, America is rallying behind them, and they want justice.

We don`t know what they`re thinking. I just know this is a desperate family. You can tell from their actions. And they`re going to do whatever it is they have to do.

Now, if they weren`t going to go that route, Ryan, let`s be honest. Once the county sheriff`s office closed the case, I can`t even - I can`t even describe to you in words how compelling, how extraordinary the evidence has to be to get them to reopen it. That`s just a tough cookie.

SMITH: Yes. It - it is so tough for them, and our hearts go out to them. And I - I say that with a heavy heart, because you know what? I know they`re looking for answers. But many, many think, you know, maybe this isn`t the way. But - but they`re going to go and see what happens on all of this.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1110/25/ddhln.01.html

I feel that the most important part of this story is to find out what really happened to RZ and I feel that Dr. Ceriyl Whect will be able to say what her body really went thru upon her death....and with that said I hope this will lead to justice for RZ....so how ever we get there is fine with me as long as we get there

..why would the AG need to her permission for that? it would up to the family to decide if they wanted the body exhumed..

No, it isn't up to the family. Our dead have a right to rest in peace. We can't just go around digging up bodies whenever we want to and no one 'owns' the dead bodies to do with as they like (except the state government). There are laws and one must get permission to exhume or move bodies, even the police/prosecutors must get permission. Every state has different requirements and I'd like to know (wondering) if permission has been granted in this case otherwise the whole thing is just a bunch of rumors or wishful thinking or spamming by Dr. Phil.

Some examples of why laws are needed might be - say your child doesn't like your new spouse and so wants to move your body from the grave next to the step-parent and put you next to your ex-spouse instead? Or what if you are the only living descendent of President Washington and want to move his body to your city so you can make some money off of tours? Or what if you just want to move a body just because you've moved to a new area and want everyone to eventually rest for all eternity in the same graveyard? Someone has to decide whether these are valid reasons for disturbing a persons grave.

My family was granted permission twice to move bodies, in the states of Texas and Idaho. One was an ancestor who had been buried in an unmarked grave at an old insane asylum - she was moved to the cemetery in another state where her daughter and granddaughter rested. The other involved an autospy to determine cause of death and that person was re-interned in the same grave. Both times required lots of paperwork and permission.

I think it would be wise to have someone observe the autopsy that is not connected to the family team. I think a detective or assistant DA should be at the autopsy otherwise it is like evidence being found at a crime scene months later - contamination or has it been compromised.

IIRC, the case of Kathleen Savio was reopened based on a private autopsy done by Dr. Baden. I hope for the same result for Rebecca's family.

well if we assume foul play is discovered then who are the suspects? other than the most obvious? and, what can be done about it? That reporter said its a done deal period murky waters, etc. so i dont see the point other than to open an old wound and pour salt in it?

Oh not counting ratings for Dr. Phil we all know that is top priority here..

well if we assume foul play is discovered then who are the suspects? other than the most obvious? and, what can be done about it? That reporter said its a done deal period murky waters, etc. so i dont see the point other than to open an old wound and pour salt in it?

Oh not counting ratings for Dr. Phil we all know that is top priority here..

Without the help of the police department, they may not be able to charge anyone with murder (not sure). But maybe they can file a civil case, perhaps a wrongful death and get testimony from all involved. Maybe they can get all the records they need that way.
They have no other choice if the police is not going to help them. Personally, I would rather do that than wash my hands of everything.

Perhaps they have to move ahead with examining Rebecca before evidence is lost.

Would this be a reason for the hold-up of turning over the files to the family?
Hold it long enough that Rebecca's family has to go ahead with the examination without their approval and therefore, no murder charges will be filed.

I will wait for those of you who are experts in this area to chime in.
I am just thinking out loud.

Cynic, thank you for placing the content above. From your post came this comment:

HEGER: Absolutely. I have been very vocal, in fact, to the point where the San Diego Sheriff`s Department will not even talk to me now, in pressuring law enforcement to reopen this case.

I feel for this family. They believed that their sister did not commit suicide.

However, I`m concerned with the route that they`re going now, with going on TV, with the "Dr. Phil Show," that this should be done. They - perhaps they should be doing this another way. They should be working with the California Attorney General, with the FBI, doing this behind closed doors, to truly get justice for Rebecca and get the answers. Because as we pointed out, you - you go on TV, you have this autopsy -

What does anyone expect Rebecca's family to do? They waited in the wings, quiet and private, until the SDSD made their statements on the air.

Since that time, they have tried to talk to everyone involved in investigating this case.

The body does belong to her family and an autopsy, done by a forensic expert such at Dr. Wecht, would contain evidence admissable in court, as he is an expert in this field.

I am sure, however, that the SDSD would try to refute any findings made by Wecht, as I think that if Wecht finds differing information, they would have to deny this information, or risk having to explain themselves and re open the case.

In the meantime, the clock ticks and vital evidence is being destroyed by normal decomposition and breakdown of tissue that occurs in death. If Rebecca's family want answers, they couldn't wait indefinitely, as nature is the enemy here.

It was physically improbable that Rebecca could have carried out her death herself, in the manner described. Let's see if there if there is evidence that proves that statement could be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong