Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever Etan was placed in - I'm still unclear on this; box? large trash sack? - he was then placed outside with another location's garbage. NYC sanitation workers I imagine regularly encounter all sorts of things, and it wouldn't be like they knew there was a body inside. They haven't the time to speculate: "Hey, Vito, whatta ya suppose is in here? Shall we take a gander?" They have a route to run. I have no problem with that part of the story. If this guy's story is true Etan could easily have been in a landfill and buried under tons of garbage within a couple days.

I agree they are a cut above Boulder PD, but, I think it already has turned sour.

They follow the evidence, what can they do?

P.S. Anyone just hopping on, please note, that the reporting right now is absolutely all over the place. The Commissioners presser should help clarify things alot, I only transcribed what I could, my streaming was not great. I will see if I can find a copy of the presser online.
You did a great job. Thanks for taking the second half of the presser. I typed up what I could but had to go tend to dinner in the oven.

Police Arrest Man in 1979 Killing of Boy

25patz5_337-articleLarge.jpg

The man, Pedro Hernandez, told investigators that he lured Etan to the basement of a bodega where Mr. Hernandez worked at the time with the promise of a soda, Mr. Kelly said. Once Etan was inside, Mr. Hernandez choked the boy, stuffed his body into a bag and took the bag about a block and a half away, where he left it out in the open with other trash, Mr. Kelly said.

“He was remorseful, and I think the detectives thought that it was a feeling of relief on his part,” Mr. Kelly said during a news conference at Police Headquarters. “We believe that this is the individual responsible.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/nyregion/man-claims-he-strangled-etan-patz-police-say.html?_r=1&hp

It is unclear whether investigators have been able to corroborate the account Mr. Hernandez has provided. Without any trace of human remains or other forensic evidence, any possible prosecution of Mr. Hernandez would face significant evidentiary hurdles.

Asked what about Mr. Hernandez’s confession had led detectives to find him credible, Mr. Kelly responded, “The fact that he had told this story to others in the past, and the specificity of what he said in the confession.” Mr. Kelly said he did not know what the motive might have been.

Mr. Hernandez, 51, was charged with second-degree murder by the police. Mr. Kelly said he expected the Manhattan district attorney to present Mr. Hernandez for arraignment on Friday, but could not say what charges would be filed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/nyregion/man-claims-he-strangled-etan-patz-police-say.html?_r=1&hp

Wondergirl and wfgodot, you both did an awesome job transcribing. I was able to read all your posts to my husband, who missed the news while he was at work today, and he got the gist of everything from your excellent work.

Not buying 1 single word of it. This "confession" and the circus surrounding it is laughable at best.

Couple more things:

Mr. Hernandez was working in the basement, which had a separate door to the street, Mr. Kelly said. Etan was at the bus stop when Mr. Hernandez led him away and to the basement, where he was killed, Mr. Kelly said.

Mr. Hernandez’s name was mentioned in a 1979 detective’s report as part of the investigation into Etan’s disappearance, Mr. Kelly said. The report listed him as an employee of the bodega, but Mr. Hernandez was never questioned by investigators, Mr. Kelly said.

“I can’t tell you why, 33 years ago, he wasn’t questioned,” said Mr. Kelly. “We know that other people in the bodega were questioned.”

Shortly after Etan vanished, Mr. Hernandez left the store and moved to the Camden area in southern New Jersey, where he has many relatives, law enforcement officials said.

Mr. Hernandez returned voluntarily to New York, where he led investigators to the address where he worked and described to them what he had done, Mr. Kelly said.

Mr. Hernandez was very emotional and broke down in tears during the confession, a law enforcement official said, adding that it was videotaped, which is standard practice in New Jersey.

During his time in South Jersey, Mr. Hernandez does not appear to have been in any trouble with the local authorities

Not buying 1 single word of it. This "confession" and the circus surrounding it is laughable at best.
Not saying you're not right, but what specifically suggests that NYPD has bought a false bill of goods in arresting Hernandez?

Not saying you're not right, but what specifically suggests that NYPD has bought a false bill of goods in arresting Hernandez?

The hallmark of every scam in history is the conveniently placed explanation as to why there can be no proof of the claims.

The Bodega is an Eye Glass Store today.

Would anyone know the address, so we could look on a Map and see the Bodega in relation to Etan's Bus Stop?

The hallmark of every scam in history is the conveniently placed explanation as to why there can be no proof of the claims.
Why would this person be perpetrating a scam? It profits him nothing that I can see. He evidently is dying of cancer and one would not think he would like to leave his family - he has a teenage daughter - a legacy like this one. LE has, at least in part, checked his story out - he indeed, they say, had told at least one other person in his family and others as well (I think I have this right) about killing a child in New York City, in 1982. Just what evidence could he reveal, 33 years after the crime? All would have been disposed of since then, I would guess, no matter who did the deed, unless, like a serial killer, one kept trophies of the kill.

I think there's more to come and it will involve at least one other person, perhaps a person on our radar. But who knows.

From PH's current neighbors:

Living next door to Hernandez “was like living next to no one,” said Chuck Diehn, a retired Philadelphia cop who is no stranger to bad guys.

“All he ever did was sit in that (lawn) chair and smoke cigarettes,” he said.

Now, neighbors say they have chills running through their bones, and can’t help but wonder what the quiet Hernandez was thinking as he stared at children in the playground that abuts his house.

“He was up all hours of the night,” said Diehn, explaining that Hernandez’s windows were always closed and the lights were always on at night.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...nister-secret-article-1.1084303#ixzz1vqNib9YP

This upsets me. I know he confessed, but why tell the family it was him if they dont have the evidence. Why not just tell them he confessed and they are investigating? Right now they think it has been solved. :/

This upsets me. I know he confessed, but why tell the family it was him if they dont have the evidence. Why not just tell them he confessed and they are investigating? Right now they think it has been solved. :/
I think if they indeed told the Patz family they had their man, instead of just telling them they had a signed confession, that NYPD has the goods. But I don't know exactly what was said by NYPD to the Patzes.

I will openly admit that perhaps I'm falling for something which just might not pan out. I've followed this case for a very long time. I remember the first reporting done. Because if the Patz case can be solved, so perhaps, too, can the Locust Grove Girl Scout Camp murders be definitively solved, and their spirits laid to rest - that happend here in Oklahoma and, like the Patz case, I have followed it since its very early days. And so perhaps can hope be had that one, ten, a hundred cold cases might spring to life and also be solved. My investment in the solution to this case goes beyond the streets of SoHo NYC.

But if it's not the guy I will just kick on and keep moving, hoping for the day when truth will out.

Publicity First, Evidence Later in Patz Arrest

By JIM DWYER

Published: May 24, 2012

The boy disappeared 33 years ago, the suspect had been in custody for barely a day, after decades of false starts, but already the publicity engine was outracing the actual investigation or filing of charges. “People heard the word ‘confession’ and they think that’s it, the case is solved,” a law enforcement official involved in the case said.

Is it?

“If this was a baseball game, we would be in the first inning,” the official, who would not be identified, said. “He is lucid, he’s persuasive. But there is not a lot of corroborating information.”

Indeed, Mr. Hernandez was not the first to be implicated, nor even the first to implicate himself.

In 1932, more than 200 people came forward to confess that they had kidnapped the baby son of Charles and Anne Lindbergh, the aviators. It was around that time that the police made a practice of keeping secret a few facts about a crime, as a way of weeding out people who felt compelled to claim that they had done something they had not.

Whether such details exist in the disappearance of Etan Patz is not known. Asked if Mr. Hernandez had volunteered any, Mr. Kelly did not answer directly. Because the boy disappeared without any known trace or witnesses, it may be that no such details are in the hands of the police. That makes the task of verifying Mr. Hernandez’s confession a great deal more complicated, but no less urgent

The law enforcement official involved in the case said that investigators were now trying to find reasons to trust Mr. Hernandez’s story. Why would a man with no known history of pedophilia or murderous impulses lure a boy into a bodega basement and strangle him?

“He doesn’t give any motivation in the statement,” the official said. “The admission was totally unsolicited.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/n...n-patz-suspect-shows-haste-by-the-police.html

I think if they indeed told the Patz family they had their man, instead of just telling them they had a signed confession, that NYPD has the goods. But I don't know exactly what was said by NYPD to the Patzes.

I'm not verified, but I am a friend of a family member (not immediate). They think it's over. They thought it was Ramos and just wanted to know where EP was. They weren't confident over the basement search. But this afternoon the family is spreading the word that it is finally over. I hope for all of their sakes it is. Jmo

Why would this person be perpetrating a scam? It profits him nothing that I can see. He evidently is dying of cancer and one would not think he would like to leave his family - he has a teenage daughter - a legacy like this one. LE has, at least in part, checked his story out - he indeed, they say, had told at least one other person in his family and others as well (I think I have this right) about killing a child in New York City, in 1982. Just what evidence could he reveal, 33 years after the crime? All would have been disposed of since then, I would guess, no matter who did the deed, unless, like a serial killer, one kept trophies of the kill.

I think there's more to come and it will involve at least one other person, perhaps a person on our radar. But who knows.

A scam is, quite simply, a lie. Why would he be perpetrating a scam (lie)? Any of the countless number of same reasons that hundreds, if not thousands, of other people falsely confess to crimes each year.

I whole-heartedly disagree with your statement that most 33 year old murders would have no evidence left to provide proof. I would imagine that most murderers of unsolved cases could take police to the body at any time they wished. The "body disappeared" claim is the hallmark of a scam.

All just my opinion of course.

From PH's current neighbors:Living next door to Hernandez “was like living next to no one,” said Chuck Diehn, a retired Philadelphia cop who is no stranger to bad guys.

“All he ever did was sit in that (lawn) chair and smoke cigarettes,” he said.

Now, neighbors say they have chills running through their bones, and can’t help but wonder what the quiet Hernandez was thinking as he stared at children in the playground that abuts his house.

“He was up all hours of the night,” said Diehn, explaining that Hernandez’s windows were always closed and the lights were always on at night.

Diehn was just interviewed on Fox 5 News here in NYC. He said he thought Hernandez might have been in the witness protection program, because every time he (Diehn) came outside, Hernandez went inside.

I'm not verified, but I am a friend of a family member (not immediate). They think it's over. They thought it was Ramos and just wanted to know where EP was. They weren't confident over the basement search. But this afternoon the family is spreading the word that it is finally over. I hope for all of their sakes it is. Jmo

I hope for their sake that this is it for them. I hope LE has their guy.

I just find the tidbits I have been reading about what the confessor said are strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0