Misty's Supreme Court Filing SC10-1989

Misty's appeal filed with the Florida 5th District Court of Appeal is for the charge in SJC. Misty's county court docket in SJC has her appeal listed as well.

The habeas corpus petition filed with the Florida Supreme Court involves all 8 of her drug trafficking charges as it is stated on the top of the docket which can be found on the Florida Supreme Court website.

Lower Tribunal Case(s): 2009-10138CF, 2009-10139CF, 2009-10140CF, 2009-10141CF, 2009-10142CF, 2009-10251CF, 2009-10252CF, 2010-00141CF

I have been doing some reading and it is my understanding the lower court does not handle the habeas corpus filings. It goes right to the state.

I finally took the time to research the Florida rules of procedure. Actually, in Florida the supreme court, district courts of appeal, and circuit courts can all have original jurisdiction in matters of habeas corpus.

Ref: Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure, 9.030.(a)(3); 9.030.(b)(3); and 9.030.(c)(3), respectively.
http://www.4dca.org/applellate%20rules.pdf
But you're correct, quite a few habeas corpus petitions are filed directly with the supreme court. Kudos to you, my friend.

I'm aware that the latest case filed in the 5th District is an appeal of the SJC sentence, separate from the supreme court filing which came before she was sentenced. What's driving me nuts is wondering what were the grounds for the habeas corpus. I really want to read that petition and the accompanying letter!

I finally took the time to research the Florida rules of procedure. Actually, in Florida the supreme court, district courts of appeal, and circuit courts can all have original jurisdiction in matters of habeas corpus.

Ref: Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure, 9.030.(a)(3); 9.030.(b)(3); and 9.030.(c)(3), respectively.
http://www.4dca.org/applellate%20rules.pdf
But you're correct, quite a few habeas corpus petitions are filed directly with the supreme court. Kudos to you, my friend.

I'm aware that the latest case filed in the 5th District is an appeal of the SJC sentence, separate from the supreme court filing which came before she was sentenced. What's driving me nuts is wondering what were the grounds for the habeas corpus. I really want to read that petition and the accompanying letter!

Me too!!!

It can't be about the sentence since it was filed prior. It might be about the actual charges, but how can that be if Misty chose not to contest the charges when she had a chance to do so in court? She pled no contest; can she come back later and appeal that?

Could it be about her incarceration (being kept in lockdown for so many months)? But then...how can it include the Putnam charges if she was not incarcerated in Putnam?

If her SC filing is without merit it will be denied and then the docs should become available online....or at least the denial document, which would outline what her claim is. If it has merit, it could be quite a while before anything becomes available to us.

Make that three, I want to read it too!

I will take a stab at what the habeas corpus petition is all about.

IMO the ACLU is behind it claiming Misty's civil rights were violated because she was unfairly targeted in the drug deals because LE wanted her behind bars to get information about the Haleigh case. If it wasn't for the Haleigh case she would have never been targeted.

I'm all for anyone standing up for their civil rights IF they were violated and can prove it, if not, I don't feel sorry for them.

Not knowing all of the details that transpired since she was arrested and not knowing for a fact what she does or doesn't know about Haleigh's disappearance it makes it difficult for me to come to a conclusion if she has a legit case or not.

If she truly is innocent and doesn't know more than what she has told LE then yes, she was unfairly targeted. If she does know more then she wasn't. The way I see it is if she knows more and would have spilled it a long time ago she would not be in the position she is now in. If she does know more and is withholding the information to bring a conclusion to Haleigh's case let her fry!

I honestly don't think the appeal or the habeas corpus filing will go anywhere, they will be DENIED!

Thanks for the link Bessie, I skimmed through the parts you pointed out, alot of it went over my head, I don't speak lawyerese, I need simple explanations!

The burden of proof is on the party making the claim.

In a trial, the burden of proof is on the prosecutor. They have to prove a defendant is guilty. The defendant is not required to prove they are innocent. In an appeal, the person making the appeal has the burden of proof.

Misty will have to prove whatever she is claiming. How was she unfairly targeted? Is it likely that she would not have committed the crime(s) at all if it were not for the sting? IMO, Misty was dealing before the UC became interested but, if she in fact was not, she will have to prove it.

One thing that might help Misty prove her case is the public's perception that the harsh sentence was justified only because Haleigh is still missing. I believe many people believe that. One example would be the comment TN made right after Misty's sentencing (paraphrased): "Let her stay in prison another 25 years if Haleigh is still missing." The reason I think such comments could be used in Misty's favor is because it clearly shows that even though Misty was sentenced on drug charges, people accept the sentence as justified because Haleigh has not been found.

If an attorney could show that others in the state with similar circumstances of arrest have been treated with leniency while Misty was denied this, an argument definitely needs to be made on Misty's behalf.

I do not want to see Misty freed because in my mind she knows what happened that night, but I will never sit back and say it is OK for someone to be railroaded. If Misty was treated differently than others with similar charges, I hope the SC will take that very seriously.

The burden of proof is on the party making the claim.

In a trial, the burden of proof is on the prosecutor. They have to prove a defendant is guilty. The defendant is not required to prove they are innocent. In an appeal, the person making the appeal has the burden of proof.

Misty will have to prove whatever she is claiming. How was she unfairly targeted? Is it likely that she would not have committed the crime(s) at all if it were not for the sting? IMO, Misty was dealing before the UC became interested but, if she in fact was not, she will have to prove it.

One thing that might help Misty prove her case is the public's perception that the harsh sentence was justified only because Haleigh is still missing. I believe many people believe that. One example would be the comment TN made right after Misty's sentencing (paraphrased): "Let her stay in prison another 25 years if Haleigh is still missing." The reason I think such comments could be used in Misty's favor is because it clearly shows that even though Misty was sentenced on drug charges, people accept the sentence as justified because Haleigh has not been found.

If an attorney could show that others in the state with similar circumstances of arrest have been treated with leniency while Misty was denied this, an argument definitely needs to be made on Misty's behalf.

I do not want to see Misty freed because in my mind she knows what happened that night, but I will never sit back and say it is OK for someone to be railroaded. If Misty was treated differently than others with similar charges, I hope the SC will take that very seriously.

BBM
Hi K, I agree. If Misty was treated unfairly concerning the drug arrest and charges, then fair is fair. I really don't want to see Misty freed, because she knows more that she is telling about Haleigh. It is so hard for me to seperate these 2 issues. :banghead:

BBM
Hi K, I agree. If Misty was treated unfairly concerning the drug arrest and charges, then fair is fair. I really don't want to see Misty freed, because she knows more that she is telling about Haleigh. It is so hard for me to seperate these 2 issues. :banghead:

I think it is just human nature to have difficulty separating the drug case from the Haleigh case. If all we knew of Misty was that she is a drug trafficker, it might be easier to disagree with her harsh sentence. But reality is that by the time we found out about Misty's criminal activities, we knew her to be the key in a missing child case--a key player who appeared to be holding back information that might have helped the Haleigh investigation, as well as a person who flitted around living her life while little Haleigh was no more than a very distant memory for her. It is indeed difficult to root for Misty under these circumstances.

However, those involved from a legal standpoint, i.e., the courts, prosecutors and LE, have an obligation to step back and look at the issues separately, and I am not sure they have done that.

As much as I want the perp(s) in prison for Haleigh, I need to see evidence that warrants it first. I do not necessarily mean enough evidence for a conviction, but evidence of some kind that says Misty is probably guilty, combined with the drug charges, would make me feel just fine about Misty's harsh sentence. But for the drug charge alone, 25 years is ridiculous, IMO.

I think it is just human nature to have difficulty separating the drug case from the Haleigh case. If all we knew of Misty was that she is a drug trafficker, it might be easier to disagree with her harsh sentence. But reality is that by the time we found out about Misty's criminal activities, we knew her to be the key in a missing child case--a key player who appeared to be holding back information that might have helped the Haleigh investigation, as well as a person who flitted around living her life while little Haleigh was no more than a very distant memory for her. It is indeed difficult to root for Misty under these circumstances.

However, those involved from a legal standpoint, i.e., the courts, prosecutors and LE, have an obligation to step back and look at the issues separately, and I am not sure they have done that.

As much as I want the perp(s) in prison for Haleigh, I need to see evidence that warrants it first. I do not necessarily mean enough evidence for a conviction, but evidence of some kind that says Misty is probably guilty, combined with the drug charges, would make me feel just fine about Misty's harsh sentence. But for the drug charge alone, 25 years is ridiculous, IMO.

I agree totally with you. Just wish she had stepped up in the beginning, even now, but she still isn't, as far as we know. Never the less, `1st offense, barely 18 yrs. old, 25 yrs...other sentences to follow.....:waitasec:

I've been wondering, if it's ACLU driven, if it could also be about the amount of her bail? It was WAAAAAAAAY up there. As was Ron's, IIRC...

from wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights which prohibits the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines or cruel and unusual punishments. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that this amendment's Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause applies to the states. The phrases employed originated in the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

I've been wondering, if it's ACLU driven, if it could also be about the amount of her bail? It was WAAAAAAAAY up there. As was Ron's, IIRC...

It could very well be about Misty's astronomically high bail. We have seen high bail amounts for others recently, but prior to the players' arrests and even for some time after, others were being assessed reasonable bail amounts.

It makes one wonder why this filing didn't happen early on, though. I mean, if this is the issue, and should it be the opinion of the Supreme Court that Misty's rights were violated by excessive bail, what remedy could be ordered now?

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think the ACLU is involved because, typically, the ACLU takes on cases that set precedent on issues impacting large groups of individuals. Misty's case doesn't seem to fit that bill. OTOH, if the ACLU has joined the fight to reform drug laws in Florida, then *maybe*. But still, it seems they would become involved in the appeal. There's not much of an issue at stake before an accused is sentenced, especially when she has submitted a plea of nolo contendere and refused to seek other remedies, foremost a trial. JMO

As for the question of high bail, what's the point two days before sentencing?

Regardless of who assisted Misty in filing the petition, at this point, I think she had second thoughts about withdrawing her not guilty plea, and the habeas petition was a last ditch effort to delay sentencing.

Bail does not make sense now. She's in prison and cannot get out.

I vaguely remember from school something about two people who commit the same crime cannot be charged differently and/or receive different sentences. There are exceptions but in this case, I cannot see anything that would fall under an exception.

I'm thinking maybe they filed as cruel and unusual punishment that Misty received a harsher penalty than Donna when without Donna, Misty could not have committed that particular crime. Donna could have committed the crime without Misty as Donna is the one who secured the pain medication and Donna was the one who received the money. Donna was allowed to plea to a lessor charge without any action on her part. Misty was not given the same deal.

That also may apply to the Putnam charges as well. We won't know for sure until sentencing. However, it looks like everyone...Hope, Tommy and Ron were all allowed to plea to lessor charges while Misty was not.

That is the only thing I can think of that might fall under the cruel and unusual punishment.

I vaguely remember from school something about two people who commit the same crime cannot be charged differently and/or receive different sentences. There are exceptions but in this case, I cannot see anything that would fall under an exception.

I'm thinking maybe they filed as cruel and unusual punishment that Misty received a harsher penalty than Donna when without Donna, Misty could not have committed that particular crime. Donna could have committed the crime without Misty as Donna is the one who secured the pain medication and Donna was the one who received the money. Donna was allowed to plea to a lessor charge without any action on her part. Misty was not given the same deal.

That also may apply to the Putnam charges as well. We won't know for sure until sentencing. However, it looks like everyone...Hope, Tommy and Ron were all allowed to plea to lessor charges while Misty was not.

That is the only thing I can think of that might fall under the cruel and unusual punishment.

Hi Chump, I agree it probably cannot be about bail at this stage. It does have to do with constitutional rights, no doubt. And no doubt Misty feels many of her rights were violated; prisoners typically do.

As for a plea deal, the only one of the players allowed to plead to a lesser charge is Donna. Ron's deal got two of his charges dropped but it also required he plead GUILTY to the remaining three charges, and none of his remaining three charges were reduced.

Tommy had one charged either reduced or dropped but he saw no reduction to his trafficking charge. Hope was offered nothing in return for her plea; she pled as charged.

All had initially pleaded Not Guilty except Hope. She pleaded Nolo right away (and I still cannot figure out why). Everyone haggled with the state except for Hope. But the only ones to get any kind of deal were Ron and Donna.

Now, with that said, I agree 100% with you about the different treatment for Donna and Misty. They committed the crime together. In court, Donna stated that she gave pills to Misty "and those were the pills that Misty sold." Misty set up and did the deal, but Donna was Misty's supplier in that transaction. Both were equally charged. But in the end Misty's charge stood, while Donna's charge was reduced.

Donna was given leniency in exchange for her Nolo plea; Misty was not treated the same way, even though both were equally involved in the crime. In cases like this, one defendant is often given a deal to testify against the other to ensure a conviction. Usually it is the lesser-involved party that is offered the deal. Donna did go into court and claim Misty sold the pills. However, she also admitted she had supplied Misty with said pills.

Considering the testimony of one was not necessary to convict the other in this case, the state allowing Donna to plead to a lesser charge while not allowing Misty the same consideration is biased and unfair. And it may be viewed by a higher court as discrimination.

I think you are on to something, Chump!

BBM This is not true. In my state, MN, with felony charges a person's sentence depends on their criminal history - same conviction can result in one person getting probation and the other getting an executed sentence, again depending on their criminal history.

BBM This is not true. In my state, MN, with felony charges a person's sentence depends on their criminal history - same conviction can result in one person getting probation and the other getting an executed sentence, again depending on their criminal history.
That's the norm throughout the country, Owlface, because trial courts use sentencing guidelines and scoresheets to determine a defendant's sentence. The punishment for like crimes can span vast ranges. Depending on their scores, one defendant might be sentenced at the very low end of the range while the other receives the maximum punishment allowed for the same crime.

Looks as if Misty has filed for an APPEAL in St.John's as well. Maybe that is why they are asking for a reduced bail? I now wonder if she will she be able to get out of all her charges due to her age when the sting started, the amount of bond placed on her, what ever else may of happen in jail that we don't know about, or any mistake LE made. :banghead:

"Snip" http://doris.clk.co.st-johns.fl.us/Benchmarkweb/CourtCase.aspx/Details/192668

Judge: BERGER, WENDY W Case Type: Criminal Felony
Case Number: 10000141CFMA Status: CLOSED
Clerk File Date: 1/21/2010 Status Date: 10/8/2010
SAO Case Number: Total Fees Due: 525518.00
Agency: FDLE
Custody Location: DEPT OF CORRECTIONS
Agency Report #: ST730308 #62

Parties
Type Party Name Attorney
DEFENDANT CROSLIN, MISTY JANETTE
FIELDS, ROBERT M (Main Attorney)
PLAINTIFF STATE OF FLORIDA ROYS, JACQUELYN (Main Attorney)

Charges
Count Description Level Degree Plea Disposition Disposition Date
1 TRAFFICKING IN OXYCODONE (28 G - 30 KG) (893.135 1c1c) F F ADJUDICATED GUILTY 10/08/2010

Case Dockets

Date Entry
12/2/2010 RECORD ON APPEAL (VOLUME I) (5D10-3883)
12/2/2010 LETTER TO 5TH DCA - RECORD ON APPEAL (1 VOLUME) (5D10-3883)
11/29/2010 PROCEEDINGS BEFORE JUDGE BERGER ON 10/08/2010
11/15/2010 5TH DCA ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NEW CASE (5D10-3883)
11/8/2010 LETTER TO 5TH DCA - NOTICE OF APPEAL

Habeas Corpus http://www.lectlaw.com/def/h001.htm

:waitasec: Does this mean that Misty's appeal was granted and if so what does the Due Date of 2-2-11 stand for? Does this mean she will be out of jail? I am so confused because she appealed in PC as well and her docket was updated today, not sure what it means though. In PC it just states 01/19/2011 69 COMMITMENT ISSUED

01/19/2011 70 CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE AS TO JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE.

Update for Misty's Case in St.John's Co.
Anyone know what this means?
(1/4/2011 5TH DCA ORDER - MOTION TO SUPPLEMENT THE RECORD ON APPEAL FILED 12-29-10 IS GRANTED(DUE 2-2-11)
1/3/2011 MOTION TO SUPPLEMENT THE RECORD ON APPEAL)

10000141CFMA
STATE OF FLORIDA vs. CROSLIN, MISTY JANETTE

"Snip" http://doris.clk.co.st-johns.fl.us/courtcaseweb/CourtCase.aspx/Details/192668

Summary
Judge: BERGER, WENDY W
Case Type: Criminal Felony Status: CLOSED
Case Number: 10000141CFMA

:waitasec: Does this mean that Misty's appeal was granted and if so what does the Due Date of 2-2-11 stand for? Does this mean she will be out of jail? I am so confused because she appealed in PC as well and her docket was updated today, not sure what it means though. In PC it just states 01/19/2011 69 COMMITMENT ISSUED

01/19/2011 70 CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE AS TO JUDGMENT AND SENTENCE.

Update for Misty's Case in St.John's Co.
Anyone know what this means?
(1/4/2011 5TH DCA ORDER - MOTION TO SUPPLEMENT THE RECORD ON APPEAL FILED 12-29-10 IS GRANTED(DUE 2-2-11)
1/3/2011 MOTION TO SUPPLEMENT THE RECORD ON APPEAL)

It means a motion was granted. They motioned for permission to include more information in the appeal filed previously, and the court granted that motion to include more information. 2/2/2011 is the date the new information has to be received by the appeals court.

New entry on docket.
I have no idea what it means but MOTION TO GRANT RELIEF DUE TO DEFAULT sounds promising.

01/21/2011
MOTION-OTHER SUBSTANTIVE
Jack White BY: Jack White
FILED AS "MOTION TO GRANT RELIEF DUE TO DEFAULT"

http://jweb.flcourts.org/pls/docket/ds_docket_search

case # is 2010-1989

Wow. :dunno:

I wonder if the lower court was supposed to respond by a certain date and did not do it, or didn't do it on time. Or...Jack White thinks they didn't. Just guessing, as usual.

Misty's SC appeal was denied as unauthorized on 3/8/2011. This could mean she didn't request Jack White to file it, or it could mean Jack White otherwise did not have authority to file. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back