Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

Status
Not open for further replies.
What hypocrites they are!

I think that Erin Steer was another model whom he got friendly with at this time but it could have been her.

I often wonder why Reeva stuck around with OP keeping on forgiving him. She seems to have only had two long-term relationships (and she was already 29yo) - one of which was emotionally abusive and the other was with a workaholic who did not want children. It seems that she stuck around with all three of the men she has been involved with far too long instead of playing the field and not getting into committed relationships unless they were going to lead somewhere. Surely she must have heard of OP's reputation on the grapevine and on twitter there were warnings sent to her. I often think that Reeva was in love with love and thought by giving love she would receive love. Romantic love can last up to three years before you see the warts and all. I often wonder just how many dates Reeva had with OP before she died if he was playing the field as there seem to have also been many gaps in those couple of months with time away from each other. Obviously, OP was just stringing Reeva along and she was blinded by love. I feel so sorry for her.

Their twitter accounts give a true indication of how much actual time they spent together, it was very little prior to him killing her

I KNEW there was more to this...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-16/mining-magnate-kebble-s-assassin-calls-pistorius-siblings-liars.html

Schultz was at the court to support his friend Jared Mortimer, who had had an altercation with Pistorius in the past. A member of the Pistorius family called him and a companion “dogs,” saying the seats they were occupying were reserved for the Pistorius family, Schultz told The Oscar Pistorius Trial TV show.

A police officer informed him that he must move, while another insisted he remain seated as the court was still in session, he said. Schultz denied knowing that some of the seats in the courtroom were reserved for family and friends of the accused. He and his associates had occupied seats at the back of the courtroom earlier this week.

I also want to add that this pianist contacted me, and revealed all of this information because she saw me always posting remarks about the trial on Facebook. I did not contact her.

would be nice if she could email Nel

Nel was a little later than usual in court this morning. Bet he's been burning the midnight oil, working for today's session.

BBM .. I disagree that it would've been disrespectful .. ➊ the only thing which bothered me about them taking the stand is that there are enough reasons for Roux to have ripped them to shreds on, and it's only for that reason that I personally am glad they did not take the stand, much as I would've loved them ➋ to have testified about Pistorius's true personality.

Respectfully BIBed, numbered, and coloured for focus.

➊ How I understand your reply it appears to me we are more or less at the same point except I get there by a different route. Or do you really think that had Roux been barred from cross examining ST it would have in that case been a good idea to follow the intensely moving and meaningful victim's impact statement from Kim Martin, (who so poignantly shared with us not only her own family's immense grief but also Barry and June's heartrending suffering, their pain, their distress and their desolation, since Reeva's death at OP's hands), with a statement by Samantha Taylor who, despite 18 months since she broke with OP and OP shooting Reeva in between, still dissolves in tears when talking about him; crying about her pain at OP's infidelities (Kim told us how she prayed OP was cheating on Reeva before she knew the girlfriend's identity), crying aboout her distress at his abuse, and still crying about her desolation at their break up.

So no, I cannot see that testimony or statement from ST could ever have been a fitting complement to Kim's measured but powerful statement, and as I noted above, not even had Roux been refused permission to cross examine ST so that there would be no risk that he could rip her and her statement to shreds.

OTOH, for sure, compared with the Steenkamp's poignant voice imparted through Kim, Samantha's testimony would have been juicy stuff to hear... and without even having to buy the book! Opportunity for us to hear about a "naughty step" OP made ST sit on while he shouted at her; To hear how he locked her in his house when he went out sometimes all night (Oscar sadly didn't go out that night but stayed in and shot Reeva behind a locked toilet door so...) leaving her without food (... Reeva can never eat again since...); To hear how this poor innocent girl has been scarred for life (... she has indeed been "scarred" for life...) by OP's bites and pinches (... by Oscar's 4 bullets...); To hear how ST was so scared she had to hide OP's gun (... from Oscar's gun...) convinced he would shoot her (... when Oscar DID shoot HER).

So yes, I do think had Nel called Samantha to testify it would have been disrespectful to both Reeva's family and the court. The Steenkamps dignified silence only broken under the auspices of their blessing by Kim to tell of their grief, their intimate feelings, is sufficient for me to disbelieve they would consider such testimony either respectful or appropriate no matter how many hugs they may or may not have given Samanatha Taylor and her mother since that does not mean they are friends (if they did hug in court it who know if it was simply the Taylors going over to proffer their condolences and the Steenkamps responding graciously out of courtesy).

➋ And in respect of ST testifying "about OP's true personality", since none of what ST alleges only now was actioned or tested in court, i.e. it is not proven, even had the court given leave for Nel to call her to the stand, (and I have my doubts since sentence hearings are meant for experts and real victims not teenagers whose only connection is as an ex), it would have been of no value to show priors and influence sentence while it could have left two very unwanted impressions for end of trial; 1) Nel as a thoughtless prosecutor who respects nothing; 2) Reeva's voice projected through Kim drowned by the sobs and accusations of a love-sick teenager full of spite from unrequited love. jmho

This is a tweet from Judge Masipa's son:

Tshego Mekgwe @Tshego_Mekgwe · Jun 30
Gerrie Nel ripping Versfeld testimony apart with a blunt knife #OscarTrial.

I believe it would be completely irresponsible for any observer of something as serious as a murder trial to effectively make up evidence. There was nothing offered in court - where it matters - even hypothetically, that that particular crack appeared through that particular bullet hole because of a specific action by Pistorius other than a bat strike. Nel didn't even suggest it. He didn't come back to it later in the cross of the defence expert. He didn't profer it in his Heads of Argument. There is absolutely no reason for any of us to assume that the evidence in fact supported that scenario despite the loose idea that, yes, a crack could appear in a door from a prying action in certain circumstances.

I agree, completely irresponsible. You would know, however, that this trial is based on the interpretation of circumstantial and objective evidence.

OP proffered an evolving version (which in itself is suspect, since there should only be one version if it's the truth).

Nel clearly stated that the gunshots came at around 03:17. Vermeulen testified that the sequence of bat strikes and gunshots could not be scientifically proven. He also stated that the panel had to have been broken out of the door after the gunshots. He explains that the bat must have been used in his opinion to prise out the panel. In his HoA Nel points out that witnesses hear a woman screaming before the 03:17 gunshots (second sounds on Stipps' evidence).

IMO what Nel doesn't do is join up the dots for Masipa but he is certainly not making up evidence nor being irresponsible, and nor am I. I am interpreting the evidence and the testimony given in court. I was hoping you would have applied your reasoning to exploring the possibilities too so that we could have had a constructive debate challenging that interpretation, particularly when considered alongside other evidence.

This is a tweet from Judge Masipa's son:

Tshego Mekgwe @Tshego_Mekgwe · Jun 30
Gerrie Nel ripping Versfeld testimony apart with a blunt knife #OscarTrial.

If it is one her children then don't you mean daughter since the handle belongs to a female?

And I'm even thinking that I have read in a recent article about her that she has only son albeit I have also read that she had two children so one or other could be mistaken or one of her children already died.

I'm in agreement with those that think they are there to intimidate Pistorius (half have had run-ins with him before, especially Bachelor) plus they are supposedly friends of Sam Taylor, or at least Bachelor is. Maybe the Myers girls too. I think they all ran in the same small clubbing, horse racing etc circles and are roughly the same ages so they'd have that kind of friends of friends, acquaintances of acquaintances network going on. Plus I think Mortimer (the night club guy) was introduced to OP by a mutual friend on the night of their altercation.

I could ABSOLUTELY be dreaming but didn't one or more of these guys or another they hang with actually know Reeva or were talking with her at some function??

Anyone else remember that?

If it is one her children then don't you mean daughter since the handle belongs to a female?

And I'm even thinking that I have read in a recent article about her that she has only son albeit I have also read that she had two children so one or other could be mistaken or one of her children already died.

How do you know it belongs to a female?

The Steenkamps are much better people than I.

I’ve always tried to see the good in people (sometimes to my terrible detriment) but if someone seriously, irretrievably ####’s me over, I’m DONE. I’m not the vengeful type but I’m not at all forgiving of betrayal, abuse or psychopaths. One man taught me that brutal lesson long ago. Married at 19, I was a trusting, naive babe in the woods. My abusive ex was my first experience with men.

ONCE I did very seriously consider murder in defense of my life.

Bless your heart for sharing that.

- Here's mine, in a nutshell. Single tour VietNam ( war screws people up, takes their mind and their souls)
-I had two little kids
- One night, I hit my limit.
- if I had had a gun I would have shot him. (Thank g@d I had no gun)
- Not only that but I would ABSOLUTELY 1000% have - in a rage slow burning for YEARS - have cut his body up in tiny pieces and not have felt a thing.
-In the very next split second I thought, Oh my g@d. If I do/had done this I would go to prison.
- My kids would have no mother
- AND everyone in the world would think that I was the crazy one.

(At that moment, I realized that I WAS the crazy one - or was simply crazy. If I didn't leave him, then, I knew I'd kill him. I took my kids and what little of my sanity I had left. Hardest thing I ever did. Got FAR worse when I left, of course. Finally, g@d shined his/her/it them/nothing on me and he died.

Free at last, Free at last. Thank god Almightly, I'm free at last! - MLK ( or lose to his famous quote.)

After that, I have to say that it's hard for me to judge awful things people do (sort of) because I KNOW that, there but for the grace of g@d, go I.

(If I think about this much more, I may start mumbling to myself in prayer < sarcasm >)

Just watching the Sky News round up and this is the glare from Aimee I mentioned just as Kim was saying that the suggested punishment didn't fit the crime. She glared at her pretty much all the time she was talking.

View attachment 61417

I'd ABSOLUTELY love it ( won't happen) if someone, somewhere spliced together all the background video and video of OP, all in one. It wouldn't even have to have sound, just one running thing of all the expressions/reactions of OP and the gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam