500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the last 20 years

Just saw info on the same report mikkismom -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...y-to-suffer-violent-death-rcmp-says-1.2644827

The stats are -

Key findings in the report:

Of the 1,181 investigations, 1,017 are aboriginal female homicide victims between 1980 and 2012 and 164 women are considered missing.

Currently, there are 225 unsolved cases: 120 are homicides, 105 are missing or foul play suspected.

Aboriginal women make up 16 per cent of all murdered women on record, five per cent of all murders on record and 11.3 per cent of all missing women on record.​

Aboriginal women are most likely to be murdered by an acquaintance (30 per cent), spouse (29 per cent), or family member (24 per cent).

More than 90 per cent of indigenous female murder victims knew their killer, RCMP said.

The high murder rate of aboriginal women in Canada comes down to them being murdered by their own people, for the most part. That is what people needed to know. Thank-you to RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson and his team that worked on this report.

Imo, isolation is their biggest problem - same as women in other cultures that are abused and ultimately murdered by family. For many reasons, the rate is higher among aboriginal people in Canada.

The picture is not pretty but it's now there for all to see - I have confidence that the RCMP had no motive to skew any of the facts they reported. Imo, this is backed up by the aboriginal people not wanting to share the info they claim to have.

There are still Cody Legebokoff types out there though - where are they operating Commissioner Paulson?

BBM

Thank you for putting that in black and white! I think that most people have always known this. It was clearly stated in the press release that aboriginal women are usually murdered by spouse, family member, or acquaintance. It was also emphasized that many are in the sex trade industry, which makes solving the disappearance/murder more difficult.

Another point to remember is that anyone with 1/16th aboriginal blood is considered metis/aboriginal, which skews the results for me. For example, that would mean that if my great great grandparent was aboriginal, I would be metis. Most of us don't think about our ancestry in terms of the nationality of our great great grandparents and I suspect that if we did, people would think we were a bit nutty.

Cody Legebokoff's victims were prostitutes and a young blind girl, so I'm not sure how he fits into this picture.

One point to note is that although the homicide rate is much higher for aboriginal women than the general population, the victims are also predominantly lower socio-economic status, and are primarily being killed by other lower socio-economic status individuals. But, since aboriginal women are disproportionately represented in those demographics, the higher rate of homicide among them is most likely due to their socio-economic status rather than their ethnic origins.

I think if you looked at non-aboriginal women with similar socio-economic profiles you would see similar homicide rates. Non-aboriginal homicide rates are being reduced by disproportionate inclusion of higher socio-economic status populations where homicide rates of course are much lower.

In other words this big "problem" is not a problem at all, and is normal relative to the rest of the population.

BBM

Thank you for putting that in black and white! I think that most people have always known this. It was clearly stated in the press release that aboriginal women are usually murdered by spouse, family member, or acquaintance. It was also emphasized that many are in the sex trade industry, which makes solving the disappearance/murder more difficult.

Another point to remember is that anyone with 1/16th aboriginal blood is considered metis/aboriginal, which skews the results for me. For example, that would mean that if my great great grandparent was aboriginal, I would be metis. Most of us don't think about our ancestry in terms of the nationality of our great great grandparents and I suspect that if we did, people would think we were a bit nutty.

Cody Legebokoff's victims were prostitutes and a young blind girl, so I'm not sure how he fits into this picture.

SOME were in the sex trade. The percentage of aboriginal women in the sex trade is a bit higher than in the general population (again, due to demographics more than ethnic origin), however, most of the homicide victims were not in the sex trade. The vast majority of the homicides were domestic in nature.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/highway-of-tears-investigation-going-strong-rcmps-lead-officer-says/article19350269/

The head of the RCMP’s Highway of Tears investigation says police are moving forward and have identified a number of people of interest – though it’s been nearly two years since the last big break and arrests in any of the cases do not appear imminent.

“We have some files where we have strong persons of interest. As far as I’m concerned, we’re going to work those until we gather the evidence. These are very tough investigations. They’re unsolved for a reason,” Staff Sergeant Wayne Clary said in a rare interview Thursday...

The lack of police updates on the Highway of Tears investigation has led some to speculate the work has stalled. Staff Sgt. Clary said the officers involved are giving it their all despite the investigative challenges. He said the lack of progress has at times been “frustrating.”

VICTORIA — The judge presiding over the trial of convicted serial killer Cody Legebokoff has slammed the B.C. Liberal government for their cuts to investigations of unsolved murders and missing women’s cases along the Highway of Tears.

The judge noted the 84 per cent cut in the budget for the Highway of Tears task force in his ruling on sentencing, saying “we simply must do better.”

“In 2012, the B.C. Liberals said that the Highway of Tears investigation had the government’s full support,” said New Democrat public safety spokesperson Mike Farnworth. “But documents released by the government show the B.C. Liberals have cut the investigation by 84 per cent.

“This is a perfect example of Premier Clark and the B.C. Liberals saying the right things, and then doing whatever they want.”

http://bcndpcaucus.ca/news/massive-cuts-highway-tears-task-force-slammed-judge/

http://www.cbc.ca/missingandmurdered/podcast
Who killed

Alberta Williams?

By Connie Walker and Marnie Luke

In 1989, 24-year-old Alberta Williams was found dead along the Highway of Tears near Prince Rupert, B.C.
Police never caught her killer.
Twenty-seven years later, her unsolved murder continues to haunt her family — and the retired cop who says he knows who did it.
CBC News has produced an eight-part podcast and slideshow. Each week, a new episode will be made available.
Scroll to see the first episode.

the highway of tears is not the same as the trail of tears, history teacher needs a history lesson

Finally some good information coming from one of the chiefs stating what we've known all along: the issue has been extensively studied, recommendations have been made, funding has been made available, and more studies will not produce new results. Furthermore, the problem is not just missing and murdered women, but men, supporting the point that the problem starts within the community, and the solution needs to start within the community - something that is also well known.

"Last week, a new coalition called Expand the Inquiry met with federal officials to argue for the need to expand the terms and scope of the inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women to include men and boys.

The coalition's leader, Chief Ernie Crey of Cheam First Nation in British Columbia, became an advocate for Indigenous women after his sister, Dawn Crey, was killed by Robert Pickton.

Crey said he refocused his attention after hearing from families across the country about the lack of advocacy for missing and murdered Indigenous men.

70 per cent of murdered Indigenous people are men, they should be included in the inquir

CAFE spokesman Justin Trottier says the stories of missing and murdered men should be included in the inquiry because violence against Indigenous women has already been extensively studied.

"We've had many, many inquiries into murdered and missing girls and women; this isn't the first one," he said."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/coalition-expand-violence-against-indigenous-women-1.3896346

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/highway-16-security-1.3912803
[h=1]New webcams, shelters installed along 'Highway of Tears'[/h]
[h=3]Security measures hope to improve safety on section of highway where dozens of women have disappeared[/h] The Canadian Press Posted: Dec 26, 2016
attachment.php

The province says four new webcams are up and running and six new bus shelters have been installed along Highway 16 to help improve safety for those taking the route. The government said the new highway cameras complement three new webcam views that were activated on the highway in Smithers over the summer.

Attachments

• highway-of-tears-20140519.jpg
    highway-of-tears-20140519.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 66
i used to live in the area. like many places in british columbia you can turn off the highway drive 10 to 15 minutes and you are the only one around.

i used to live in the area. like many places in british columbia you can turn off the highway drive 10 to 15 minutes and you are the only one around.

Welcome to Ws troyfromnelson!
:welcome:

I can't start a new thread on Stacy DeBungee but I accidentally watched "the fifth estate" episode about his case and I'm just crashed.

He was a native man, and from Ontario, not BC, but it seems like this could be even bigger.

[video=youtube;SbWEuF99vZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWEuF99vZg[/video]

That case looks clearly as a murder, there is douzens of other suspicious deaths and disappearances of native people from around Thunder Bay and police shamelessly admits that they did nothing to solve it and that they have all the best intentions to keep strong in their mission and keep doing nothing.

I don't know what's going on. Maybe I didn't saw much but I never saw anything like this. That creature is laughing at Stacy DeBungee's death, he's laughing as he speaks and looks like he has time of his life experiencing the best stand up comedy ever as that lady is asking him about non-existing actions of local police.
How something like that is possible? There is no news, case went cold and they are doing nothing. How people can be so inert about this?

I don't believe that I'm asking this but amount of victims and disappearances is just overwhelming. Is that attitude "normal" around Highway of Tears?

Are native people considered as non humans in Canada?

I found this article about a fashion show paying tribute to missing and murdered Indigenous women at the Vancouver Indigenous Fashion Week: http://www.straight.com/life/942501...onours-missing-and-murdered-sisters-emotional
Meaningful and beautiful.
Some VIFW attendees, including co-emcee and Indigenous activist Lorelei Williams, even sported dresses and shirts screen-printed with the names and images of family and friends, and the dates they disappeared or were killed. “My cousin, Tanya Holyk, went missing in 1996,” Williams shared with the audience. “Her DNA was later found on Robert Pickton’s farm. And it hasn’t stopped there—so much has happened to my family.”

Williams then went on to acknowledge families of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls in the crowd, addressing these individuals and their lost friends and relatives by their full names.
The traditional regalia and contemporary garb offered by First Nations designers Derek Packer, Evan Ducharme, Linda Kay, Curtis Oland, Mia Hunt, and Dorothy Grant, one of the country's foremost Aboriginal designers and a recipient of the Order of Canada, celebrated the beauty and memory of Indigenous women, too.
img_5062.jpg
Design by Dorothy Grant.

Database tracks missing and murdered indigenous women cases

Lucchesi is a doctoral student at the University of Lethbridge who started the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women Database in 2015.

"Part of the reason I am doing this work is because I was almost one of these women. I experienced domestic violence that threatened my life," she said.

Lucchesi needed a base number for missing and murdered indigenous women in the United States and Canada in order to start her research, but she soon learned that would be difficult to uncover.

"None of the lists matched. None of them are updated frequently. None of them are very thorough. None of them include both countries," she said. "So it really was kind of a mess."

Lucchesi then discovered there were more missing cases than she expected. She said that since she started the database, there has been an average of 200 to 300 new cases every year.

"That excludes missing persons cases that are solved so just the new cases to add," Lucchesi said. "If we use that as a kind of benchmark going back to the 1900s, that means they are missing about 20,000 cases."

When you out of the city/town, you don't even need to drive that far. Just going off the road a short distance and you will be where few humans tread. BC is a very wild rugged place.

These hitchhikers who go missing, it is quite possible that they just got dragged off into the forest by a hungry bear. They would simply disappear.

Charlene Catholique's name was mentioned here previously, so I'm including this article from today.

The disappearance of Charlene Catholique was featured on a national missing person's page Friday, nearly 30 years after the then-15-year-old went missing.

Catholique was last seen hitchhiking along Highway 2 between Behchoko and Yellowknife on July 22, 1990, according to an RCMP news release.

She was originally from Lutselk'e.

The RCMP launched a week-long campaign, starting May 20, featuring missing children on its missing person website. Catholique's case was featured on the site on Friday.

RCMP have also published a video on YouTube that recreates the disappearance. Along with lead investigators, RCMP used a drone to film the reconstruction.

"RCMP continue to investigate missing persons files, and use additional methods to advise the public of details and seek information," the news release Friday read.

"To this end, the Northwest Territories RCMP have created a Crime Stoppers video on the disappearance of Charlene Catholique."

Catholique's family previously told CBC that they haven't been satisfied with the RCMP's handling of the case. Her father said he had given up on the police; and her aunt said they were "not doing their job."

Catholique is described as Indigenous, with brown eyes and black hair, approximately five feet five inches tall, 126 pounds, with a slender build.

Anyone with information about Catholique's disappearance is asked to contact N.W.T. RCMP at 867-669-1111 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/charlene-catholique-missing-rcmp-video-1.5148505

Charlene Catholique's name was mentioned here previously, so I'm including this article from today.

The disappearance of Charlene Catholique was featured on a national missing person's page Friday, nearly 30 years after the then-15-year-old went missing.

Catholique was last seen hitchhiking along Highway 2 between Behchoko and Yellowknife on July 22, 1990, according to an RCMP news release.

She was originally from Lutselk'e.

The RCMP launched a week-long campaign, starting May 20, featuring missing children on its missing person website. Catholique's case was featured on the site on Friday.

RCMP have also published a video on YouTube that recreates the disappearance. Along with lead investigators, RCMP used a drone to film the reconstruction.

"RCMP continue to investigate missing persons files, and use additional methods to advise the public of details and seek information," the news release Friday read.

"To this end, the Northwest Territories RCMP have created a Crime Stoppers video on the disappearance of Charlene Catholique."

Catholique's family previously told CBC that they haven't been satisfied with the RCMP's handling of the case. Her father said he had given up on the police; and her aunt said they were "not doing their job."

Catholique is described as Indigenous, with brown eyes and black hair, approximately five feet five inches tall, 126 pounds, with a slender build.

Anyone with information about Catholique's disappearance is asked to contact N.W.T. RCMP at 867-669-1111 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/charlene-catholique-missing-rcmp-video-1.5148505
Charlene was suggested by Carl K on this thread page..
CA - CA - Los Angeles, HispFem 155UFCA, 14-24, in South Central alley, Dec'92

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back