Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't get over the fact that this is at an ELEMENTARY school, fgs. They just said that the shooting was just outside a KINDERGARTEN room, omg!

If anybody does Twitter, btw, follow this guy: @TheMatthewKeys. He's a Reuters guy (tempted to say "kid," he's so young!) and is excellent keeping one up to date. Terrific coverage on Sandy.

DD of principal frantically trying to get info. on her mom.

There is crime scene tape around a black sedan in front of the school.

Dave Altimari ‏@davealtimari
At least some of the shootings occurred in a kindergarten classroom, unclear if that is where dead gunmen was found. #Newtown
Dave Altimari is a Hartford Courant reporter
Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
[Just in] Danbury Hospital, where some CT school shooting victims being treated, now on lockdown - http://on.fb.me/Z5Sq9r

I just don't understand how someone can just walk into a building and start shooting.

Local news (in Ohio) just said the shootings took place in a Kindergarten classroom, and that children are among the dead.

I cannot even bear to think of this.

That is where the resource officer comes in. A school should always know who is scheduled to be at their doors. Parents write notes to their children's school's to let them know they are coming to get their children early. School's know when a sick child has to be picked up by a parent. School's know when a parent/teacher conference is scheduled. IF someone buzzes the door and it is someone who is not scheduled to be there, then the resource officer on school property should be the one to go up to the door and question the person's motives for being there.

Also, maybe there needs to be an ID card (school logo, "PARENT" clearly written on it) where a parent could show it at doors. I know my nieces school, you have to have a pass (school logo on it) just to pick your kid up during regular pick up times. They won't allow any child in any car if they do not have this pass visibly showing.

As someone else pointed out, I understand we are not 100% safe anywhere, but we should be able to put extra emphasis on our schools safety in order to protect our children.

MOO

We have all those things at our schools in my district - but you STILL need to allow for things like council pta folks coming in and dropping off stuff for local ptas, aunts coming in to deliver a forgotten lunch, etc. There is a LOT of coming and going that's totally legit in a school during the day - I think it's quite possible this shooter would have passed all those checks.

Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
RT @connpost: Police have surrounded a purple van at 33 Crosby Street in Danbury that may be connected to Newtown school shooting.
Dave Altimari ‏@davealtimari
State Police SWAT team has cleared the Sandy Hook Eelementary School, still unclear if there was second gunmen. #Newtown

I'm watching fox news, I'm in CT.

ETA - In answer to the link question...

Official: Gunman killed in Conn. school shooting

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, AP
21 minutes ago

NEWTOWN, Conn. — A shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday left the gunman dead and at least one teacher wounded and sent frightened pupils into the parking lot.

The shooter was killed and apparently had two guns, a person with knowledge of the shooting said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.

It wasn't clear how many people were injured at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. A dispatcher at the Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps said a teacher had been shot in the foot and taken to Danbury Hospital...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles...S.Connecticut.School.Shooting/?cid=hero_media

if there is only 1 shooter and hes dead then why the bolo on the van?

The mayor was just on Fox........said multiple fatalities.

Shooting happened in a kindergarten room.:(

WCBS in New York is reporting the police are looking for a maroon or red color car with its back window shot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff