ID ID - Lonnie Jones, 13, Orofino, September 1951

Great research and articles! Good job!

A couple of things that came to mind. I have been to Greer, Weippe, Pierce and Orofino numerous times. The Greer Grade is one scary ride in the dark or if it is raining or both. I am sure the roads have been improved since 1951, but, it is very isolated, dark and knowing how long it takes to drive it, I simply can not imagine a 12 year old walking it at 12:00 at night...here is what I was thinking...

Lonnie was having a great time at the fair. Being 12 years old, living in a very isolated community, a carnival is a huge deal. He had cash, was having fun and lost track of time. Not surprising. Local festivals like that tend to have burgers, popcorn, etc. So, I am sure he was there the whole time. Perhaps, earlier in the evening, he realizes most of the locals and families he could get a ride with have already left. He manages to get a ride with some older boys and their girlfriends. For whatever reasons, maybe embarrassment where he lives or trying to be tough or cool, he says he can easily catch a ride from Greer and has them drop him off there. He doesn't need a babysitter. He gets dropped off at the bridge. At this point, I am sure he is fairly upset, knowing how far away Weippe is and the hike up the hill and also because, really he knows he should have been home a lot sooner. I am sure Grandmother didn't say stroll in at 12:00 or so. So, now you have a desperate kid who is not thinking all that clearly and is most likely tired, overstimulated from a big day, etc.

So, he waits on the bridge for sometime, hoping for a ride. He may have then walked into Greer. But, my guess is everything was closed by that point. I am not certain if they had phones up the grade to Weippe and Pierce in those days. If Greer is closed down for the night (yes, there are still places in Idaho where they roll up the sidewalks at night...lol), there would be no way to call home if they did have a phone. Mind you, quite a bit of time will have passed because he is a child and would be pretty indecisive about what to do.

(What amazes me is the family is not out looking for him. Or maybe he knows what is in store for him when he gets home).

So, logically, in a kid's mind, he heads back over the bridge to what is now a two-lane highway. Even these days at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning there is not much traffic. I am not even sure if what is now the highway was paved at that time. A lot of major highways in Idaho were not. So, Lonnie may be thinking his best chance to figure out how to get home is one of two things: get to Orofino and find a phone to call home. Or get to Orofino and get a ride with the local sheriff home, which also could lessen the harshness of the homecoming if he is afraid of how he will be received at that time of night.

So...he is on the main road at this time. And a couple of scenarios come to mind...

The first, maybe he sees a car parked next to the road as he is walking towards Orofino. It is idling and he approaches it. He may even recognize it. He knocks on the window or even peers into the windows. And maybe he sees something he should not have seen. Maybe he recognizes the mayor with the pharmacist's daughter. Or the logging foreman with the baker's wife. He catches a couple doing something, in that time was a big no no deal. The man gets very angry, calls him a "pig" or what not for spying or watching them have sex. "What a dirty animal that kid is". Seriously, people "caught" doing something they know is not right, will often project that onto the person who "caught" them. The man flips out, gets out of the car, grabs him and may even blindfold him at that point to prevent him from seeing the other person in the car, if he already hasn't. So, Lonnie is stuffed in the back of the car and the man starts driving. Just to drive, to think. Maybe he starts to interrogate him, asking him what he saw. And perhaps in youthfulness Lonnie says, "I won't say nothing to anyone about you and Mrs. The Baker's wife." And at this point, the man is threatened and thinks the kid is a pervert or pig for watching them (even though that really wasn't the case) and drives to a spot in the road where he can get rid of him. He pulls off the road at the spot, turns Lonnie around and cuts his throat. He will want to avoid getting bloody and will turn him away from him. Plus it is easier to restrain his hands that way. The first one handed cut doesn't work, so he has to do it twice and in his rage and fear almost decapitates him.

I do want to interject at this point that most people I know, living in Idaho whether you hunt or not, have knives. People just have knives; pocket knives, filleting knives, etc. It is an outdoors thing and not to be equated with a sinister inner-city packing a knife kind of thing....LOL

So, he rolls or pushes Lonnie down an incline and he comes to rest with his knees tucked under his torso and his hands flopped up on his back. With the brush and vegetation I saw in the pictures, it is possible his arms just can to rest that way. At this point, I do want to address the condition of his body. The first thing is it is very possible the injuries to his hands were from animal predation. If you think about how his body was found and the fact he was clothed and had a bandana covering part of his face, the palms and fingers of his hands would be easily exposed. I don't need to explain more. As far as a sexual assault and two different medical opinions, I think that is easily understood. The medical examiner during that time was a rural family practice/general medicine doctor. I highly doubt he had many cases of this type. One thing that is often misunderstood is anal dilation after death. Given the position the body was found in and the nature of pelvic/sphincter muscles dilation could have been more pronounced then a case where someone passed away lying flat on their back with their legs together. I would guess most of the deaths he encountered prior were accidents, heart attacks, diseases and such. And often with "natural or obvious causes" examining someone that thoroughly wasn't routine practice.

Anyway, if someone local like a couple having an affair were involved, I highly doubt anyone would say anything especially if it meant exposing other factors.

As for the logger/trucker stopping due to diarrhea on the road...sometimes you just have to go. Waiting 4 miles on an unimproved road to get to town is not an option. That highway now isn't safe to do 60 miles an hour at times. So we are not talking about 4 minutes to "hold it". We are talking 15-20 minutes. I also know a lot of loggers/truckers from Idaho who do get up at 4 am to start their day. Yes, he was caught 3 weeks later, but that does show he had a preference for young girls. Unless, Lonnie caught him with a young girl parked on the highway. Then it is possible that girl, obviously witnessing what this man was capable of and fearing for her life, would keep that secret forever. Is it possible that by focusing on him that the sheriff may have not looked at others?

The second option would be that someone, an uncle or cousin from the family went out and did find him and was "sick of the burden he placed on grandma". Kind of the same scenerio...
IMOO...sorry for the long winded rant...LOL.

Great research and articles! Good job!

A couple of things that came to mind. I have been to Greer, Weippe, Pierce and Orofino numerous times. The Greer Grade is one scary ride in the dark or if it is raining or both. I am sure the roads have been improved since 1951, but, it is very isolated, dark and knowing how long it takes to drive it, I simply can not imagine a 12 year old walking it at 12:00 at night...here is what I was thinking...

Lonnie was having a great time at the fair. Being 12 years old, living in a very isolated community, a carnival is a huge deal. He had cash, was having fun and lost track of time. Not surprising. Local festivals like that tend to have burgers, popcorn, etc. So, I am sure he was there the whole time. Perhaps, earlier in the evening, he realizes most of the locals and families he could get a ride with have already left. He manages to get a ride with some older boys and their girlfriends. For whatever reasons, maybe embarrassment where he lives or trying to be tough or cool, he says he can easily catch a ride from Greer and has them drop him off there. He doesn't need a babysitter. He gets dropped off at the bridge. At this point, I am sure he is fairly upset, knowing how far away Weippe is and the hike up the hill and also because, really he knows he should have been home a lot sooner. I am sure Grandmother didn't say stroll in at 12:00 or so. So, now you have a desperate kid who is not thinking all that clearly and is most likely tired, overstimulated from a big day, etc.

So, he waits on the bridge for sometime, hoping for a ride. He may have then walked into Greer. But, my guess is everything was closed by that point. I am not certain if they had phones up the grade to Weippe and Pierce in those days. If Greer is closed down for the night (yes, there are still places in Idaho where they roll up the sidewalks at night...lol), there would be no way to call home if they did have a phone. Mind you, quite a bit of time will have passed because he is a child and would be pretty indecisive about what to do.

(What amazes me is the family is not out looking for him. Or maybe he knows what is in store for him when he gets home).

So, logically, in a kid's mind, he heads back over the bridge to what is now a two-lane highway. Even these days at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning there is not much traffic. I am not even sure if what is now the highway was paved at that time. A lot of major highways in Idaho were not. So, Lonnie may be thinking his best chance to figure out how to get home is one of two things: get to Orofino and find a phone to call home. Or get to Orofino and get a ride with the local sheriff home, which also could lessen the harshness of the homecoming if he is afraid of how he will be received at that time of night.

So...he is on the main road at this time. And a couple of scenarios come to mind...

The first, maybe he sees a car parked next to the road as he is walking towards Orofino. It is idling and he approaches it. He may even recognize it. He knocks on the window or even peers into the windows. And maybe he sees something he should not have seen. Maybe he recognizes the mayor with the pharmacist's daughter. Or the logging foreman with the baker's wife. He catches a couple doing something, in that time was a big no no deal. The man gets very angry, calls him a "pig" or what not for spying or watching them have sex. "What a dirty animal that kid is". Seriously, people "caught" doing something they know is not right, will often project that onto the person who "caught" them. The man flips out, gets out of the car, grabs him and may even blindfold him at that point to prevent him from seeing the other person in the car, if he already hasn't. So, Lonnie is stuffed in the back of the car and the man starts driving. Just to drive, to think. Maybe he starts to interrogate him, asking him what he saw. And perhaps in youthfulness Lonnie says, "I won't say nothing to anyone about you and Mrs. The Baker's wife." And at this point, the man is threatened and thinks the kid is a pervert or pig for watching them (even though that really wasn't the case) and drives to a spot in the road where he can get rid of him. He pulls off the road at the spot, turns Lonnie around and cuts his throat. He will want to avoid getting bloody and will turn him away from him. Plus it is easier to restrain his hands that way. The first one handed cut doesn't work, so he has to do it twice and in his rage and fear almost decapitates him.

I do want to interject at this point that most people I know, living in Idaho whether you hunt or not, have knives. People just have knives; pocket knives, filleting knives, etc. It is an outdoors thing and not to be equated with a sinister inner-city packing a knife kind of thing....LOL

So, he rolls or pushes Lonnie down an incline and he comes to rest with his knees tucked under his torso and his hands flopped up on his back. With the brush and vegetation I saw in the pictures, it is possible his arms just can to rest that way. At this point, I do want to address the condition of his body. The first thing is it is very possible the injuries to his hands were from animal predation. If you think about how his body was found and the fact he was clothed and had a bandana covering part of his face, the palms and fingers of his hands would be easily exposed. I don't need to explain more. As far as a sexual assault and two different medical opinions, I think that is easily understood. The medical examiner during that time was a rural family practice/general medicine doctor. I highly doubt he had many cases of this type. One thing that is often misunderstood is anal dilation after death. Given the position the body was found in and the nature of pelvic/sphincter muscles dilation could have been more pronounced then a case where someone passed away lying flat on their back with their legs together. I would guess most of the deaths he encountered prior were accidents, heart attacks, diseases and such. And often with "natural or obvious causes" examining someone that thoroughly wasn't routine practice.

Anyway, if someone local like a couple having an affair were involved, I highly doubt anyone would say anything especially if it meant exposing other factors.

As for the logger/trucker stopping due to diarrhea on the road...sometimes you just have to go. Waiting 4 miles on an unimproved road to get to town is not an option. That highway now isn't safe to do 60 miles an hour at times. So we are not talking about 4 minutes to "hold it". We are talking 15-20 minutes. I also know a lot of loggers/truckers from Idaho who do get up at 4 am to start their day. Yes, he was caught 3 weeks later, but that does show he had a preference for young girls. Unless, Lonnie caught him with a young girl parked on the highway. Then it is possible that girl, obviously witnessing what this man was capable of and fearing for her life, would keep that secret forever. Is it possible that by focusing on him that the sheriff may have not looked at others?

The second option would be that someone, an uncle or cousin from the family went out and did find him and was "sick of the burden he placed on grandma". Kind of the same scenerio...
IMOO...sorry for the long winded rant...LOL.
Thanks for the post!
Some interesting scenarios and they are just as possible as anything else.
And yeah usually Greer would be shut down that time of night.
It certainly would be today!
I dont know if this was one of the periods when the Greer Tavern was open for business or wheter it would still be going that late on a Fair Weekend.
And yeah,I have a 13 year old daughter(Who coincidently is spending the night with friends in Weiipe this very night.)
And I cant imagine leaving her to find her way up the hill alone that late .
I would have confirmed her ride six ways from sunday speaking with whoever she was supposed to ride with before I went anywhere.
You said youve seen the Greer Grade at night... hell,im 51 and I would find it spooky finding my way up it in the dark on foot.

I agree Kline, you just wouldn't leave a child or adult to walk that road. If I couldn't have taken him home I would have taken him home with me until his folks could pick him up.

I agree Kline, you just wouldn't leave a child or adult to walk that road. If I couldn't have taken him home I would have taken him home with me until his folks could pick him up.
I realise they were just high-school kids but I cant wrap my mind around just dropping a 12 year old off in the dark that time of night.
Talk about a desolate spot.
I tell ya,if he had been my son after what happend....me and those two boys would have been taking a meeting real soon.
Of course one of my kids wouldnt have found themselves in that spot to begin with.
they either would have left the Fair when I did or at the very least I would have had face to face confirmation from his supposed ride that they wouldnt be leaving the Fair without him.

I realise they were just high-school kids but I cant wrap my mind around just dropping a 12 year old off in the dark that time of night.
Talk about a desolate spot.
I tell ya,if he had been my son after what happend....me and those two boys would have been taking a meeting real soon.
Of course one of my kids wouldnt have found themselves in that spot to begin with.
they either would have left the Fair when I did or at the very least I would have had face to face confirmation from his supposed ride that they wouldnt be leaving the Fair without him.

I totally agree. I do see where a young kid may try to act cool or what not and convince them to drop him off...But...Do we know anything about the teens who dropped him off? Small towns have their own "politics and justice" and the good ole boy networks can be pretty strong. Any information on who the teens parents were? The sheriff? mayor? Etc?

I totally agree. I do see where a young kid may try to act cool or what not and convince them to drop him off...But...Do we know anything about the teens who dropped him off? Small towns have their own "politics and justice" and the good ole boy networks can be pretty strong. Any information on who the teens parents were? The sheriff? mayor? Etc?

I did search their names in news articles from the past and IIRC non came up regarding any 'crimes' before or after 1951, I don't know of any connection with people in power.

Yeah I think they were just a couple of High School kids.
They might have had a curfew or who knows?
And Weippe is far more then a minor detour when you live in Kamiah.
Maybe they only had enough gas to get back to Kamiah and thought they were doing him a big favor by getting him all the way to Greer.
Still the idea of just dropping a kid that age off in the dark and driving away...it bothers me.
It would be interesting to know exactly what they had to say for themselves when they were questioned.

My father was a Deputy in Orofino at the time of Lonnie Jones murder.

My father was a Deputy in Orofino at the time of Lonnie Jones murder.

Welcome a'board' babylou!

That's interesting that your father was a Deputy in Orofino during the time Lonnie was murdered. Has your father ever offered any insight on his murder that you might be able to share with us?

Glad you found us and hope to see more of you!

From what I gather the files were turned over to a retired, out of state, FBI guy so the files could well be scattered over a couple of states.

Alot of the files are in the possession of a former policeman from Orofino who intends to write a book.The Boise Archives are aware also.

I am new to this site & I feel hesitant to just jump in. I was born & raised in Orofino & my father was the Deputy Sheriff at the time of the murder.I heard the stories all my life.I heard it from my father when I was 7 yrs. so as to be in by dark or never take a ride from strangers.Every kid heard the story & after we heard it so many times we started feeling like we were related or at least friends.(Small town huh?)

I am new to this site & I feel hesitant to just jump in. I was born & raised in Orofino & my father was the Deputy Sheriff at the time of the murder.I heard the stories all my life.I heard it from my father when I was 7 yrs. so as to be in by dark or never take a ride from strangers.Every kid heard the story & after we heard it so many times we started feeling like we were related or at least friends.(Small town huh?)
Wow! That is cool!
Thats the first Ive heard that someone was writing a book and its good to know someone has the files and records rather then having them scattered to the four winds by time. If you have any info to add please feel free!
This case has garnered FAR more interest from all over the place then I would have thought possible for all of its obscurity.
Though as you point out if you grew up around here youve heard of it!
Do you know if the former policeman who has the files is actively working on a book or is this something he's planining on doing?
He undoubtedly has enough good material in this case to make a compelling book and Im sure alot of folks would be interested in reading it.
I certainly would read it,though if its a project someone else is working on I dont know if I will bother pursuing it any further.
Ive always been afraid Lonnie's story was in danger of disapearing into complete obscurity as just an old cold case.
Its never been widely known outside of this immediate area which is why ive tried to get it out there via this thread.
Unfortunately ive never had any kind of inside access and you can only end up hitting blank walls with more questions and no way to answer them.
Hopefully someone with the resources will be able to go much further.

I can`t remember the cops name who took the files but I just placed a call to my Brother & will be able to give you his name soon. I believe he is going to write a book abt The History of Lawman in Idaho. Orofino kept all old files at the City Jail & then the floods came & most were destroyed.All old files were supposed to be sent to the Boise Archives but Orofino did as they pleased. Sorry! I know you all have worked hard on this case. Don`t give up. My father told me that Lonnies body was found abt.a quarter of a mile from the Greer bridge going toward Kamiah.There was a beach there & abt. the only place that a logging truck could pull over.The road was very narrow back then. I wasn`t told abt. his family giving him any money! Dad said Lonnie stayed to help close down the carnival to make money, as alot of kids did in those days. Reason why he was out so late. I also remember my dad saying that if Lonnie would have had a family that was worth a damn he wouldn`t have had to raise himself.

I can`t remember the cops name who took the files but I just placed a call to my Brother & will be able to give you his name soon. I believe he is going to write a book abt The History of Lawman in Idaho. Orofino kept all old files at the City Jail & then the floods came & most were destroyed.All old files were supposed to be sent to the Boise Archives but Orofino did as they pleased. Sorry! I know you all have worked hard on this case. Don`t give up. My father told me that Lonnies body was found abt.a quarter of a mile from the Greer bridge going toward Kamiah.There was a beach there & abt. the only place that a logging truck could pull over.The road was very narrow back then. I wasn`t told abt. his family giving him any money! Dad said Lonnie stayed to help close down the carnival to make money, as alot of kids did in those days. Reason why he was out so late. I also remember my dad saying that if Lonnie would have had a family that was worth a damn he wouldn`t have had to raise himself.
Yeah thats one thing many of us here have had a hard time wrapping our minds around.He was a 12 year old kid for petes sake!
Just leaving him alone in Orofino with some vague idea that he had a ride home....
Id never heard about him staying to tear down the carnival,none of the contemporary newspaper articles mentioned that though I myself used to do that very thing when I was a teenager...in the '70's you could make $20 bucks which of course was alot more money back then.
But boy you earned it.Some back breaking work.

Thanks Babylou, interesting stuff. Much the same over here, fairground work is dirty and hard but you can earn some money.
I wonder if the lawman would let us have a peek at the files pertaining to Lonnie's case ?
I also wonder if your father mentioned who Lonnie's bio dad was.

:rose: Lonnie is our featured cold case from 5/6/12 to 5/13/12 :rose:

THANK YOU. This is such a fascinating, heartbreaking case.

Interesting to hear about him possibly staying to earn $ by helping them close down the carnival. But did he have any $ on him when he was found?

Also, makes me wonder if he 'met' anyone working at the carnival that night?

I am still a bit suspicious about the high school boys, wondering if they robbed the kid and left him there, then some one else came upon him...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back