Identified! CA - Boron, WhtFem remains 780UFCA, 25-45, Sep'91 - Diana Smith

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that DoeNet promoted this case from HotCase status, and gave it a permanent Case Number.

The Doe Network:
Case File 780UFCA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/780ufca.html
NamUs UP Case 2551 https://identifyus.org/cases/2551

780UFCA.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on September 3, 1991 in Boron, San Bernardino County, California
* Estimated Date of Death: 3-7 days prior
* Shot multiple times

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-45 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 148-150 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, shoulder length hair. She had a faded, monochromatic tattoo of a full rose above her right breast.
* Clothing: "Levi", cut off jeans. White socks; white shoes; multi color flowered blouse, green bra. Yellow serpentine chain with pendant.
* Fingerprints: Available at CAL-ID (909-890-5000), case #91-2273 - CARD A, B, and C.
* Dentals: X-rays and chart available. Possibly orthodontic patient. 30 has D0 caries. Fillings present.
* DNA: Samples submitted - tests not complete (CA DOJ-MPDP #BK-08-001010).

Case History
The victim was located, dumped off Highway 395 and State Route 58, .7 miles east of Amargo Road, in Boron, California on September 3, 1991.

Investigators believe the woman, who was probably from another state, got a ride from a truck driver who was never identified. She may be from Nevada or Arizona. She may have frequented truck stops, or been a hitch-hiker.

Identity may be established by fingerprints, dental X-rays, or DNA.

Browsing through my list for women with rose-tattoos on their breasts, I found this one.

Dolly Ann Thomas-Caulder

thomas-caulder_dolly.jpg
780UFCA.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thomas-caulder_dolly.html

The facial shape is about right, and her vital stats and timeframe are reasonably close. It doesn't say which side (right or left) Dolly's tattoo was on.

I know that rose tattoos on the breast are not that uncommon for women, but I saw that her name was not on the NamUs rule-outs list, so I e-mailed it in to David VanNorman.

:eek:fftopic:
Incidentally, did anyone see the ID Channel's Disappeared episode on the disappearance of April Pitzer? David VanNorman was interviewed for a couple segments of that story.

VanNorman already responded, and said that they are currently doing a fingerprint check using the fingerprint reference in Dolly's NCIC record. He says that I should have an answer in "minutes to hours".

The UID sketch shows very unique features, the cheeks and chin especially. I don't think the sketch looks like Dolly butthe rose tattoo makes it worth checking out. Good work CarlK.

The UID sketch shows very unique features, the cheeks and chin especially. I don't think the sketch looks like Dolly butthe rose tattoo makes it worth checking out. Good work CarlK.

They don't look alike in an overall sense, but they have similarly narrow eyes, broad temples and high-wide foreheads.

while this comment applies to all missing persons in Namus, with the proliferation of tattoos over the years, it may be advisable for them to have more options such as location, design, color, etc.

I checked the tattoo box and added the word "rose" and got x nubmer of matches. I ran a separate search for "breast" and got a smaller number of responses. not sure about doing both words at the same time. I've had problems looking for surgical scars on other missing persons as they are not always very specific and you'd be surprised how many ways caesarean is misspelled.

I got my reply back from D VanNorman.

Dolly Ann Thomas-Caulder was ruled out on fingerprints.

Erase the fact that Rhonda had tattoos other than the rose tattoo, that Rhonda was missing her two front teeth and the UID wasn't, the other information seems to line up.

Rhonda had a tattoo of "roses" on her chest, she had a small scar near her navel on abdomen, she was last known to be hitchhiking to California, she may have seen in Omaha, NE in a black Kenworth truck.

The Doe Network:
Case File 1760DFOR
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1760dfor.html

Rhonda Gayle Sansovich
Missing since March 7, 1988 from Elmira, Lane County, Oregon
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 15, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars, Tattoos: Tattoo of a "butterfly" on shoulder, tattoo of the name "Wayne" on abdomen, tattoo of "roses" on chest, small scar near navel on abdomen.
Dentals: Available. Missing two front teeth
Circumstances of Disappearance
Rhonda was last known to be hitchhiking to California.
She may have been seen in the Omaha, Nebraska area in a black Kentworth truck.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Lane County Sheriff's Office
541-682-4167
or
541-682-4141
Email

Agency Case Number: 88-5192

NCIC Number: M-316054210
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Dr. Van Norman just let me know that Pamela Sue Dalton, Doe Network 1764DFMO, previously submitted last year, has also been ruled out.

forgot to add: Ms. Dalton was ruled out by fingerprint comparison.

I have the postmortem photo on this Jane Doe. My impression is that in life, she probably didn't look much like the facial reconstruction sketch that they did for her.

The PM photo is too gruesome to put online. I'd say that it's not quite as gruesome as the PM photo of Nation River Lady, but it is close. Her nose is very much intact though, so that is helpful in comparing to possibles. Also, there might be a couple of identifiable facial blemishes, though I'm not entirely sure that thos marks are the result of decomposition.

I am now working on a facial reconstruction, but this one is going to require a lot of work.

I have the postmortem photo on this Jane Doe. My impression is that in life, she probably didn't look much like the facial reconstruction sketch that they did for her.

The PM photo is too gruesome to put online. I'd say that it's not quite as gruesome as the PM photo of Nation River Lady, but it is close. Her nose is very much intact though, so that is helpful in comparing to possibles. Also, there might be a couple of identifiable facial blemishes, though I'm not entirely sure that thos marks are the result of decomposition.

I am now working on a facial reconstruction, but this one is going to require a lot of work.

Here's what I came up with:

255c589f-56aa-497d-96c0-0ef16cb61bb6.jpg

As I said earlier, due to the severely degraded condition of her face, it is quite difficult to get a bead on her overall look. But I think this is pretty close.

As I said earlier, due to the severely degraded condition of her face, it is quite difficult to get a bead on her overall look. But I think this is pretty close.

How about Evelyn McDowell? http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mcdowell_evelyn.html
Went missing in January 1984, has a blue heart tattoo! Very few details about her, She is within the height and from her photo, she looks similar to this Jane...Especially her nose!
mcdowell_evelyn.jpg

How about Evelyn McDowell? http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mcdowell_evelyn.html
Went missing in January 1984, has a blue heart tattoo! Very few details about her, She is within the height and from her photo, she looks similar to this Jane...Especially her nose!
mcdowell_evelyn.jpg

Facially, Evelyn looks pretty close to what I can see of the Jane Doe. However, the Jane Doe's tattoo was of a rose on her breast, not a heart on her shoulder. The body, though it was in a somewhat bloated state, was probably not so decomposed that a shoulder tattoo wouldn't have been noticed.

:bump: for image revision. I can't see her hair in the PM. It is wet and combed straight back. But I revised it to more closely approximate the hairstyle depicted in the official drawing.

While I was at it, I had her eyes a little unbalanced, so I also evened her eyes out.

Was the rose itself in blue ink? Or just not the type of "black" used to outline that came out in the 90's? I believe most professionals use the voodoo ink type black today. Here's a person that has a rose tattoo but if its not a blue rose then it can be ruled out.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3874/3/

:bump: for image revision. I can't see her hair in the PM. It is wet and combed straight back. But I revised it to more closely approximate the hairstyle depicted in the official drawing.

While I was at it, I had her eyes a little unbalanced, so I also evened her eyes out.

I know this is going to sound kinda weird, but is there a PM photo of just the tattoo?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back