MA MA - Andrew Amato, 4, Webster, 30 Sept 1978

The Charley Project
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/amato_andrew.html
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing since Sept. 30, 1978 from Webster, Massachusetts
Classification: Endagered Missing
Date of Birth: 1974
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Amato's nickname is Andy.

I live in the next town over from Webster. Webster is a very small town. although it has a population of 16000 it is only 14.5 square miles 2 miles of which is a lake. Some of your links are dead so here are some new ones. http://www.websterpolice.com/missing.shtml

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/amato.html

The detective in charge of his case is James Hoover 1-(508)-943-1212 I have spoken with him. He is very nice. I asked about Andrew's parents and he said are still around looking for him. They want and deserve closure after over 30 years.

I wonder if they will release the name of the suspect finally and the area where they believe Andy's remains are buried. Tens of miles of powerlines spanning RI and CT-they clearly need an army which I am sure they could get if they would ask.

I don't mean to sound doubtful here, but has the possibility of Andrew wandering off and perishing due to the elements been completely ruled out?

I've read this case a few times, and for some reason that's the first hunch that comes to mind. Was there a river/ocean/lake nearby where Andrew disappeared from?

Reactions: Kat
I don't mean to sound doubtful here, but has the possibility of Andrew wandering off and perishing due to the elements been completely ruled out?

I've read this case a few times, and for some reason that's the first hunch that comes to mind. Was there a river/ocean/lake nearby where Andrew disappeared from?

I think this was thought of as a possibility but someone did confess to abducting and killing Andrew a few years ago now. That being said, many confessions are unreliable, but I believe police thought this confession had some merit to it due to the specificity and the fact that it was a deathbed confession (less of a reason to lie).

No Webster is nowhere near the ocean. No river and only 1 very big lake in town. He disappeared near the highway. I hope this helps.

BUMP

Hi WS-ers! I've come across this site many times searching for crime news but never signed up until recently. I've decided to make my first post here on Andrew's thread for some personal reasons.

I dated Andy's younger brother in high school (from about 1993-1995), though I haven't talked to him since about 1997. I won't post his name, though it is readily available in some news articles (most of them are pay-to-view though). He was only a little over a year old when Andy disappeared so he remembers nothing about it. His family moved to NH a number of years later.

I have always hoped that one day his family would find some closure, by either finding Andy, his remains, or some proof or what happened to him. I often search for any new news about Andy's disappearance and would love to find a way to get more involved. I haven't spoken to any of the family in years, but they are never far from my thoughts and I want so badly for them to find closure.

If there's anybody else who's interested in helping me with this and knows where I should start, please let me know.

NHGirl, welcome! You might want to start off by calling the detective in charge of Andrew's case. Many of us here on Websleuths have had great success in gleaning otherwise unreleased information from phone or e-mail conversations with law enforcement. I don't know if you know anyone from Central MA or Northern RI but talking with people about the case, getting people to post fliers, and so on are all proactive approaches you can take to getting this case solved.

Bump

This month marks 32 years since Andrew went missing. Come home soon sweetie.

still missing:

amato-andrewpng-0f73052943ce0b78.png

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/110_missing_children_from_mass.html

I don't get why the authorities suspect there was foul play involved. They didn't have anything tangible to link Nathaniel Bar-Jonah to Andrew's disappearance, and the confession from the other guy turned up nothing either. There was a lot of woodland around where Andrew vanished. A small body could easily be overlooked during the searches. That's not to say he couldn't have been picked up by a stranger.

I don't get why the authorities suspect there was foul play involved. They didn't have anything tangible to link Nathaniel Bar-Jonah to Andrew's disappearance, and the confession from the other guy turned up nothing either. There was a lot of woodland around where Andrew vanished. A small body could easily be overlooked during the searches. That's not to say he couldn't have been picked up by a stranger.
They suspect foul play because an unnamed man admitted to abducting and killing Andrew on his deathbed in 1999. This man was a suspect for many years and he found Andrew’s missing toy in an area that had already been searched a few times. I remember reading more about it but yeah, they just need to locate the exact gravesite.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back