Brothers die within hours of each other in separate accidents

Kymistry35

It's never to late to be who you could have been
Reaction score
Website
bringushome.19.forumer.com
Brothers die within hours of each other in separate crashes on Maine highways<!--END HEADLINE--><!--BODY-->
<!-- byline --><!-- end byline -->PROSPECT, Maine (AP) — Two brothers were killed in separate highway crashes in this coastal town just hours apart.
Adrian Basford, 52, of Winterport, died Saturday afternoon when his motorcycle went out of control on U.S. 1A, crossed a driveway and struck an embankment. State police said Basford was traveling too fast while rounding a curve.
His brother, Wallace Basford, 48, then died just before midnight in a single-vehicle crash on U.S. 1. His van failed to negotiate a left turn as he was coming off a bridge and slammed into a wall, the Waldo County Sheriff's Department said.
Wallace Basford had gotten word of his brother's death that day. Trooper Stephen Hills, who investigated the motorcycle accident, said Wallace Basford told him that the brothers' father had recently died.

How freakish.
Very sad for the family involved.

That poor family, does anyone know if they were married and had children, if they did my prayers go out to them.

Could it be the brother slammed into the wall on purpose? He just got news that his brother was killed that day and his dad died not too long before that...I don't know it's all just very sad and I feel bad for the families here.

Could it be the brother slammed into the wall on purpose? He just got news that his brother was killed that day and his dad died not too long before that...I don't know it's all just very sad and I feel bad for the families here.
you said exactly what i was thinking too...

I wondered on that, too ......I guess it depends if he had other family or what?

Apparently neither brother knew how to drive

It's very easy to lose control on a motorcycle. My ex had a harley and we did some serious riding. Curves can be dangerous, all is takes is some sugar sand on the road and you could go down. It did say he was riding fast, something very easy to do on a bike. As for the other brother, it's hard to say if it was accidental or intentional. He just lost a father and now a brother. My thoughts and prayers go out to any existing family or friends.

Edited tp add: Guess I was wrong, the one brother apparently didn't know how to ride a motorcycle.

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=150835&zoneid=500

In this article, if you scroll down, I found this viewers comment. Prayers to the family.

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=150835&zoneid=500

Actually, their father passed away in the spring of '06. The local paper said the older brother was going fast and passing cars on both sides of the road on his motorcycle. He had a wife, children, and grandchildren; don't think he was suicidal. The younger brother might have still been in shock from his brother's death? Fortunately, their parents were not living to see two of their sons die on the same day.
For more info, see the bangornews.com website
Posted by MaineChick at 09:52 AM : Jun 12, 2007

That's so sad. I knew a family in which the father was killed in a car/train collision and when his mother was told of it, she died on the spot of a heart attack. Same day, within hours. Just so sad for everyone left behind.

Route 1 runs slightly inland but generally follows the coastline. Its a hilly often times curvy road with many blind spots and has many roads that intersect with it which are not always well marked. It is also in most places a single lane running on each side. In the summer time especially it is often backed up with many tourists and vistiors who are going slowly or many times the state is doing significant road work. Many locals are often frustrated by the delays and the slow of those on vacation and not in a hurry. The locals will often speed and pass in some cases in risky locations because of this.. each and every summer their ability to get from one place to the other is changed from free open roads to the congested traffic that many deal with all the time. I know this because I lived in Maine growing up and went to college there.. Those factors combined with the grief and likely inattention to his driving and lack of experience are contributing factors here... my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of these men.

I guess I'm a bad person too because I laughed at this comment.:dance:

Me too:)
I really don't think Peter's comment was mean but we read so much tragedy here its nice to read some off taste humor..
And truthfully it does seem like neither knew how to drive..

How do you not negotiate a left turn?? Only thing I can think of is your going WAY to fast.

How do you not negotiate a left turn?? Only thing I can think of is your going WAY to fast.

My theory is he was either drunk or distraught about his brother's death and just wasn't paying attention. I'd say that's enough to not negotiate a left turn.

Me too:)
I really don't think Peter's comment was mean but we read so much tragedy here its nice to read some off taste humor..
And truthfully it does seem like neither knew how to drive..

Wallace the second of the 2 brothers was at the scene of his brothers accident. He saw his brother and the accident scene first hand.. I suspect that had much to do with his inattention.. its likely that his mind had wandered to the accident and when he realized he missed the turned he made a split decision and still tried to make the turn even though his timing was off..

Wallace the second of the 2 brothers was at the scene of his brothers accident. He saw his brother and the accident scene first hand.. I suspect that had much to do with his inattention.. its likely that his mind had wandered to the accident and when he realized he missed the turned he made a split decision and still tried to make the turn even though his timing was off..

That makes sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back