VA VA - Catherine Sybil Worsky, 12, Charlottesville, 12 July 1982

missacorah

Reaction score
Missing since July 12, 1982 from Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Virginia
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair.
  • Clothing: Pink t-shirt.
  • Medical: Diabetic.
Circumstances of Disappearance
On July 12, 1982, Katie disappeared from her friend's house, where she was spending the night. Her insulin, was found with her shoes and other belongings at her friend's house. Her body was never found.
Glenn Barker was charged with Katie's murder, and convicted of second-degree murder in 1983. He served 9 years in jail before being released on parole.
Barker was the second man in Virginia history to be convicted of murder without a body as evidence. Barker was the last adult to see her alive and a pair of Worsky’s underpants were found by police in one of Barker’s drawers. Barker served nine years of an 18-year sentence for the crime. He was released in 1992 and moved to Richmond, Va., where he was a suspect in a double slaying there.
http://www.doenetwork.org/

August 1, 2007
“No one has anything to fear about me.

A sleepover with a tragic ending. A double homicide in Richmond. How a string of unsolved murders and abductions, and an emotionally disturbed former high-school football star, still haunt Central Virginia.
by Courteney Stuart

Towering trees shade West Junaluska Drive, an enclave of well-maintained brick ranchers and split-levels with manicured lawns in Richmond’s South Side. It’s a neighborhood in transition — young professionals moving in beside retirees who watched their children grow up here decades earlier.

But there are ghosts that haunt this idyllic community. An 11-year-old tragedy with unanswered questions, a case involving a brutal double homicide that never closed.  A frustrated family is left with no resolution. And the police’s original primary suspect remains free.

Around the corner in this neighborhood on Junaluska Court, Bob Midkiff is one of the few people home on a recent weekday morning.  A retired executive with Exxon, the 83-year-old has lived here for 43 years.

“It’s a quiet neighborhood,” Midkiff says, describing a place where folks wave but respect each other’s privacy. It’s been more than a decade, but he still recalls how Cynthia Johnson and her 7-year-old daughter, Heather, would play outside their house at 6535 W.  Junaluska Drive. They’d wave when he would drive past.

A couple living a few doors down from that house remember Cynthia and Heather as friendly and quiet, though neither of them knew the Johnsons well.

What they will never forget — what no long-time neighbor will forget — is the horror of Aug. 29, 1996.

In the early morning hours, firefighters discovered the body of Cynthia Johnson, 34, in her family room near the carport.  They found Heather, lifeless, in a bedroom at the front of the one-story house. At least seven fires had been set in the home, but neither mother nor daughter had died of smoke inhalation.
http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=14838

A whole load of interesting info about this and the link it has to Katies case.

Katie Worsky

Vital Statistics

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair.
Clothing: Pink t-shirt.
Medical: Diabetic.

On July 12, 1982, Katie disappeared from her friend's house, where she was spending the night. Her insulin, was found with her shoes and other belongings at her friend's house. Her body was never found.

Glenn Barker was charged with Katie's murder, and convicted of second-degree murder in 1983. He served 9 years in jail before being released on parole.

Barker was the second man in Virginia history to be convicted of murder without a body as evidence. Barker was the last adult to see her alive and a pair of Worsky’s underpants were found by police in one of Barker’s drawers.

Barker served nine years of an 18-year sentence for the crime. He was released in 1992 and moved to Richmond, Va., where he was a suspect in a double slaying there.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Charlottesville Police Department
434-970-3280

Source Information:
The Hook
Sentinel 4/18/02
The Doe Network: Case File 2401DFVA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2401dfva.html

There was an earlier thread started on this case, but it has had no new posts for two years. I decided to start a new one with more links. I will link the previous Websleuths thread to this one.

In this case, a man was convicted of murdering Katie, but her body has never been found. The murderer of this little girl was out of prison after only nine years and has likely killed again. Perhaps many times.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Catherine (or Katherine) Sybil Worsky

Vital Statistics

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair.
Clothing: Pink t-shirt.
Medical: Diabetic.
AKA: Katie. Name sometimes spelled Katherine.

Barker was the second man in Virginia history to be convicted of murder without a body as evidence. Barker was the last adult to see her alive and a pair of Worsky’s underpants were found by police in one of Barker’s drawers.

Barker served nine years of an 18-year sentence for the crime. He was released in 1992 and moved to Richmond, Va., where he was a suspect in a double slaying there.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Charlottesville Police Department
434-970-3280

Source Information:

The Hook
Sentinel 4/18/02
The Doe Network: Case File 2401DFVA
The Hook - Little girl lost: Remembering Katie Worsky after 25 years
The Charley Project: Katherine Sybil Worsky

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2401dfva.html

http://www.readthehook.com/Stories/2007/07/12/COVER-WORSKY-main-E.rtf.aspx

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/worsky_katherine.html

Previous Websleuths thread on this case:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52804&highlight=Worsky

Katherine Sybil Worsky
Missing Since: July 12, 1982 from Charlottesville, Virginia
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair. Worsky has Type B blood. She was small for her age at the time of her disappearance. Worsky's nickname is Katie.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A pink t-shirt.
Medical Conditions: Worsky is a diabetic and insulin-dependent.
See Photo at link below.

Circumstances

Worsky was last seen at the home of a friend, Tammy Gates, in the 2700 block of McElroy Drive in Charlottesville, Virginia on July 12, 1982. She was spending the night with her Tammy; her own family lived in an apartment in the Four Seasons subdivision off Rio Road. Worsky's friend's mother, Carrie Gates, called Worsky's parents early that morning, thinking the girl had returned to her own apartment. She had not, however. Worsky's parents notified police of her disappearance.

Glenn Haslam Barker was one of the people who volunteered in the effort to search for Worsky. A photograph of him is posted below this case summary. He had previously dated Carrie, but their relationship was over by July 1982. He was employed as a clerk at a gas station and convenience store which Worsky's father frequently patronized.

Authorities suspected Barker immediately in part due to his criminal record; he pleaded guilty to assault in 1981 after admitting to kidnapping teenage female acquaintance and holding her at knifepoint. Police interrogated him at Worsky's disappearance. He admitted having seen her on the night she went missing. He stated he had come by the Gates home after everyone had gone to bed, and had given Worsky and Tammy one can of beer each. Tammy said she and Worsky had actually had more alcohol than that, and got sick afterwards. Afterwards, they went to bed. Barker stated he left at 12:30 a.m., after making sure Worsky, Tammy and Tammy's younger brother were asleep. Tammy woke up at 5:30 a.m. and realized Worsky was missing.

Investigators did not believe Barker's story and, with his permission, searched his apartment in the Hessian Hills apartment complex on Georgetown Road. They found wet, bloodstained men's clothing and towels wedged between his mattress and box spring. Some of the blood was Type A, Barker's blood type, and some was Type B. Katie's blood was Type B; authorities discovered this fact by testing the menstrual blood on her bedsheets. Barker said he did not know how the clothes had gotten there. Authorities searched the residence a second time several days later and found a pair of girls' panties hidden in a rolled-up ball of socks in Barker's dresser. There was a tiny bloodstain in the back of the panties, consistent with the location where Worsky injected her insulin.

Barker was arrested and charged with Katie's murder in January 1983, six months after she went missing. Prosecutors theorized that after Worsky became intoxicated, Barker carried her to the living room, attempted to molest her, then killed her. A few drops of Type B blood were found on the living room rug and coffee table. Barker maintained his innocence, stating he had had nothing to do with Worsky's disappearance.

The jury convicted Barker of second-degree murder and recommended a sentence of 18 years in prison, two years short of the maximum. They acquitted him of first-degree murder, meaning they did not believe Worsky's murder was premeditated. He was only the second person to be convicted of murder in Virginia without the victim's body. Barker was paroled from prison in 1992. He was rearrested in 1993 and charged with possession of a firearm after a pellet gun was found in his car, and served a further six months in jail before being released again.

Barker's name has been mentioned in connection with other homicides and missing persons cases and some theorize he is a serial murderer. He has not been charged with any deaths besides Worsky's, however. He continues to maintain that he did not harm Worsky and the only wrongdoing he committed that night was giving her and Tammy beer when they were underage. Barker stated he believed he had been framed by the police, and accused them of planting the bloodstained clothing found in his apartment.

Worsky's parents divorced after Barker's conviction. Her body has never been located, but foul play is strongly suspected in her disappearance due to the circumstances involved.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Charlottesville Police Department
434-970-3280

Source:

National Center For Missing & Exploited Children's Photos - Missing Children (1980 - 1989) | Facebook

LINK:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=699374&id=99892274998

Barker is, in no uncertain terms, a very bad man. Not only is he a convicted murderer, he's the prime suspect in other murders and disappearances in Va. ....

Where is Barker today? How many other victims are there?

He was registered as a sex offender in NJ but now he is not. At one time he lived in my hometown in NJ but but then moved up to South River, NJ where he became a girls basketball coach for the YMCA!!! Records indicate he now lives in Pinehurst, NC but he is not registered there either....where is he is right?!

I feel this is definitely Barker who did this. I mean who else would it have been? Would she sneak out in the middle of the night while at her friend's house (and friend is sleeping)....no.

I really feel our criminal justice system is beyond flawed. Prayers to the family that they finally get the answers and peace.

Glenn Barker passed away about seven months ago, per this article: http://www.c-ville.com/law-enforcem...cted-killer-glenn-barkers-death/#.VOiXrS6Feio

Katie's mom died last year. May she rest in peace.

The article also brings up the local rumor that Katie is buried in the foundation of a local Hardee's, which was under construction when she disappeared. The story I have heard is that Barker knew some people on that construction site, and they laid the concrete foundation after she disappeared. I don't know if there's any way to investigate this besides tearing down the Hardee's and breaking apart the foundation.

ETA: Fixed a missing word.

KWorsky.jpg
KWorsky1.jpg
KWorsky2.jpg

Mouse over to enlarge.

Name: Katherine Sybil Worsky
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: July 12, 1982
Location Last Seen: Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Virginia

Physical Description
Date of Birth: April 9, 1970
Race: White
Height: 4'10"
Weight: 90 lbs.
Hair Color: Blonde/Strawberry
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Katie
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Diabetic

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA:Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Pink t-shirt
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

On July 11, 1982, Katie's father, Alan, drove Katie to 2745 McElroy Drive, a brick rancher at the end of a wooded cul-de-sac just off Old Lynchburg Road near Fry's Spring Beach Club. Katie was to spend the night with a former neighbor, Carrie Gates, whose 13-year-old daughter, Tammy Thomas, was one of Katie's close friends. On July 12, 1982, Katie disappeared from her friend's house but her insulin was found with her shoes and other belongings at her friend's house.

Convenience store clerk Glenn Barker was charged with Katie's murder, and convicted of second-degree murder in 1983. It was only the second time in Virginia's history a man had been tried and convicted of murder without the presence of a body. Barker served 9 years of an 18 year sentence before he was released on parole. After being released in 1992, Barker moved to Richmond, VA, where he was suspect in a double slaying.

Barker had dated Gates, but by this time any romantic relationship was over. Barker admitted in police interviews that he was present the night of Katie's disappearance. He came to visit Gates later in the evening of July 11. But when Gates turned him away, he didn't leave. Barker approached the two girls and Tammy's younger brother, and gained access to their recreation room through an outside door. Barker later admitted in police interviews that he brought beer with him, and gave some to the two young girls. He admitted he brought a six pack of beer over and had given Katie and Tammy at least one each, though Tammy said she and Katie had actually had more alcohol than that, and got sick afterwards. Tammy said when she went to bed, she'd last seen Barker reading her younger brother a bedtime story. When Tammy awoke from a bad dream at approximately 5:30 a.m., she realized Katie was missing. Barker said he left the house around 12:30 a.m., after tucking Tammy's brother into bed and checking on Katie and Tammy, who he said were sleeping peacefully on the ground floor. He also said he never saw Katie become ill from the alcohol, but agrees with trial testimony that Tammy did throw up.

Rumors flew that Katie's body was under the new Hardee's at Pantops which was under construction at the time of her disappearance. The Charlottesville police chief wanted to dig through tons of refuse at the Ivy Landfill, although concerns about biohazards and lack of a solid lead to the site derailed that suggestion. Police agreed to consult with a psychic who predicted Katie's body was near a shed on a hillside somewhere in Albemarle County.

Bloodstains were found in the home where Katie was last seen on the rug and around the room's coffee table. Hours after Katie's disappearance, with Barker's permission, investigators searched his apartment in the Hessian Hills Apartments on Georgetown Road. They discovered bloodstained men's clothing and towels between the matress and box spring of Barker's bed and in a cooler. The clothes were wet, inside a plastic bag, and the stains matched Barker's Type A blood and were later found to match Katie's blood type. Barker, who was present for the search, appeared shocked at the discovery.

Convinced that they might have missed something, investigators got a warrant to search Barker's apartment a second time the following week, this time without giving him notice. When they checked Barker's dresser drawers, they found a balled-up pair of girls' panties inside a pair of rolled-up socks. On the back of the panties was what appeared to be a tiny blood stain that matched the location where Katie injected her insulin. Furthermore, forensic experts testified in court that a hair found in Barker's car was consistent with Katie's hair, and sniffer dogs identified her scent in his car.

Barker always maintained that he had nothing to do with Katie's disappearance and that he left the house sometime after midnight, with all three children safe. Barker also claimed that he had been set up. Katie's mother visited Barker twice in jail, pleading fruitlessly with him to tell her where to find Katie's body. Katie's mother died on March 25, 2014 without ever getting an answer. Barker died on July 20, 2014. Worsky's body has not been found.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Charlottesville Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Sergeant Shawn Bayles
Agency Phone Number: (434)-970-3265
Agency E-Mail: bayles@charlottesville.org
Agency Case Number: 1982-00730

Agency Name: Albemarle County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Sheriff Chip Harding
Agency Phone Number: (434)- 972-4001

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Justice for Murdered Children
NCMEC
The Hook
NBC 29
www.doenetwork.org/cases/2401dfva.html

The Katie Worsky Case in 1982 Charlottesville Va.
Glenn Barker and I were friends during this time and I saw Glenn the night Katie went missing. I was questioned about Glenn but at the time I did not know her abduction had been 6 months earlier. Glenn had recently been arrested so I thought Katies disappearance had just happened. When the detective asked me about Glenn I only had good things to say and told him there was no way Glenn was capable of hurting anybody much less a 12-year-old girl. The detective told me "since I have nothing to add to the investigation I did not need to come in for further discussion" He also stated before he hung up the phone "Men that commit these types of crimes usually are really nice guys" When I found out he was convicted I was in shock but I always supported him even as much as writing him a letter for parole. I have come to regret it.
Only after reading articles on the internet 10 years after his conviction did I realize the timeline of her disappearance was 6 months before his arrest. After looking back at dated pictures from that time (I was a studio photographer) I realized it was the night I ran into him at an odd place and time that he should not have been and when he told me his reason for being there it made sense. After remembering this night I knew Glenn had been involved but there are others with information that could possibly know what actually happened to Katie and where she may be found.
I have tried to get Albemarle and Charlottesville Detectives to look into my information for over 25 years. Their answer was they know it was Glenn. There was another male who Glenn stated "he was helping that night" that I only knew by a nickname. Glenn had introduced me to him and his "girlfriend" about three weeks before Katie went missing. Their response has been they know it was Glenn. I keep trying to get them to understand there were others involved but they will not follow up on it. Over 25 years and at least 10 different calls to the Albemarle Police Dept. they have never had me come in to at least pick my brain about that night. I have read in several articles they state "they will leave no stone unturned to find Katie" I say that is not true or they would have me in their office ASAP.
There is so much more especially about 'the panties' found during the second search. I have read jurists state it was because of those panties he was convicted. Glenn denied he had ever seen them and Katies mother Robin herself told me they were not Katies. She stated "she bought all of Katies clothes and she had never seen those panties and had definitely not bought them. I asked why she had not said anything she stated, "she did tell the detectives at the time but they asked her not to say anything it could hurt the case and they knew it was Glenn."
If the panties were tested now for DNA with all the new equipment (touch) I know they will not find Glenns or Katies DNA on them. The only way would be if they were tainted by the detectives now that I wrote them about my conversation with Robin.
If anybody is interested please read the articles about Katie Worsky and Glenn Barker. If you know how or if I can petition the court for testing of the panties and maybe transcripts of the trial lmk. It may be too old but at one point I questioned the clerk of courts, and she could not confirm for sure, if case files and articles of clothing may still be available. She did state since Katie had not been found they very possibly could still be available.
There is so much more that I have questions and information about but I am tired of writing. If anybody wants to discuss her case or has any thoughts please reach out...

I feel this is definitely Barker who did this. I mean who else would it have been? Would she sneak out in the middle of the night while at her friend's house (and friend is sleeping)....no.

I really feel our criminal justice system is beyond flawed. Prayers to the family that they finally get the answers and peace.
Glenn Barker and I were friends during this time and I saw Glenn the night Katie went missing. I was questioned about Glenn but at the time I did not know her abduction had been 6 months earlier. Glenn had recently been arrested so I thought Katies disappearance had just happened. When the detective asked me about Glenn I only had good things to say and told him there was no way Glenn was capable of hurting anybody much less a 12-year-old girl. The detective told me "since I have nothing to add to the investigation I did not need to come in for further discussion" He also stated before he hung up the phone "Men that commit these types of crimes usually are really nice guys" When I found out he was convicted I was in shock but I always supported him even as much as writing him a letter for parole. I have come to regret it.
Only after reading articles on the internet 10 years after his conviction did I realize the timeline of her disappearance was 6 months before his arrest. After looking back at dated pictures from that time (I was a studio photographer) I realized it was the night I ran into him at an odd place and time that he should not have been and when he told me his reason for being there it made sense. After remembering this night I knew Glenn had been involved but there are others with information that could possibly know what actually happened to Katie and where she may be found.
I have tried to get Albemarle and Charlottesville Detectives to look into my information for over 25 years. Their answer was they know it was Glenn. There was another male who Glenn stated "he was helping that night" that I only knew by a nickname. Glenn had introduced me to him and his "girlfriend" about three weeks before Katie went missing. Their response has been they know it was Glenn. I keep trying to get them to understand there were others involved but they will not follow up on it. Over 25 years and at least 10 different calls to the Albemarle Police Dept. they have never had me come in to at least pick my brain about that night. I have read in several articles they state "they will leave no stone unturned to find Katie" I say that is not true or they would have me in their office ASAP.
There is so much more especially about 'the panties' found during the second search. I have read jurists state it was because of those panties he was convicted. Glenn denied he had ever seen them and Katies mother Robin herself told me they were not Katies. She stated "she bought all of Katies clothes and she had never seen those panties and had definitely not bought them. I asked why she had not said anything she stated, "she did tell the detectives at the time but they asked her not to say anything it could hurt the case and they knew it was Glenn."
If the panties were tested now for DNA with all the new equipment (touch) I know they will not find Glenns or Katies DNA on them. The only way would be if they were tainted by the detectives now that I wrote them about my conversation with Robin.
If anybody is interested please read the articles about Katie Worsky and Glenn Barker. If you know how or if I can petition the court for testing of the panties and maybe transcripts of the trial lmk. It may be too old but at one point I questioned the clerk of courts, and she could not confirm for sure, if case files and articles of clothing may still be available. She did state since Katie had not been found they very possibly could still be available.
There is so much more that I have questions and information about but I am tired of writing. If anybody wants to discuss her case or has any thoughts please reach out...

• Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair.
  • Clothing: Pink t-shirt.
  • Medical: Diabetic.
Barker was the second man in Virginia history to be convicted of murder without a body as evidence. Barker was the last adult to see her alive and a pair of Worskys underpants were found by police in one of Barkers drawers. Barker served nine years of an 18-year sentence for the crime. He was released in 1992 and moved to Richmond, Va., where he was a suspect in a double slaying there.

Doe Network: International Center For Missing and Unidentified Persons

Bumping for Katie...it's now been 40 years.

He was registered as a sex offender in NJ but now he is not. At one time he lived in my hometown in NJ but but then moved up to South River, NJ where he became a girls basketball coach for the YMCA!!! Records indicate he now lives in Pinehurst, NC but he is not registered there either....where is he is right?!
the fact that this man after all that he was charged with and suspected of, was able to work as a girls basketball coach for the YMCA is truly astonishing!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back