‘McDonald’s made me a prostitute:’ - woman sues fast food giant

"A woman went from fast food to life in the fast lane -- and she says its all McDonald’s fault."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-working-girl-article-1.1052277#ixzz1rqKBzXIC -

This has to be one of the weirdest lawsuits ever. It was 20 years ago, that she worked at a McDonalds.

‘McDonald’s made me a prostitute:’

Well that explains all the clowns she's been hangin' out with.
What's her selling line ? "Hey buddy, want a cheap date?"
2 for 1 Wednesdays?
Wanna Happy Meal?

Ummmm....what about statute of limitations? Is she serious, or are we being punked?

Suing McD's is a favorite American pastime.

Apparently Vegas only has the one McDonalds?

Nuisance suit. Hope McDonalds doesn't give her a DIME.

Oh boo-hoo-hoo, poor McDonald's, poisoning the planet by ruining public health for decades and decades and now having to put a couple of its many attorneys into court to get this dismissed. Of course this is a crap suit - but it's a crap suit against a crap organization, so I call it even.

LOL @ wfgodot

I am no big fan of Micky D's but being in the legal field, I cringe whenever I see the taxpayer dollars going to waste adjudicating BS cases such as this. Cases such as this bog down the whole system. Not to mention makes people dislike lawyers and hey, lawyers are some of my favorite people so I dislike cases such as this for several reasons.

Ummmm....what about statute of limitations? Is she serious, or are we being punked?

I vote for punked

if it's not a joke, I think she needs some mental help and fast

Apparently Vegas only has the one McDonalds?

Nuisance suit. Hope McDonalds doesn't give her a DIME.

This is why losers should have to pay all the court costs and winners fees. No wonder everything, including medical costs, are sky high.

She could have gone after Hostess for making Ho Hos. :D

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Hos"]Ho Hos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

IF any of this from the OP link is true:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-working-girl-article-1.1052277#ixzz1rqKBzXIC
BBM
The trouble began in 1982 when Handley hired her to work at the counter in Arroyo Grande, California. The two began dating in 1985, but things got rocky when she lost her job.

Lynn says that Handley, who still runs the franchise, forced her termination to make her more vulnerable to his demands.

“McDonald's had no policy in place whereby Lynn could have filed a grievance against Handley, Ivernia, and McDonald's,” she said in the filed court documents.

then I do not feel this is frivolous. Far less frivolous than the lady who sued them for serving her hot coffee and burning herself with it. I expect my coffee to be hot and would be pizzed if it were not. I do not expect to be harassed at my work with no avenue to address the issue even if I allowed myself to become involved with my boss - often times it isn't the woman's choice if she wants to keep her job. And as far as simply moving to a different store....not if the manager puts in a bad word about her to the other managers because wants her under his control. If this woman can prove these allegations then I say more power to her. There are far more frivolous things clogging up our courts right now than this IMO.

Imagine for one second if what she says is true. Or even partially true. How would you feel if this were your sister? Would you really want the case simply thrown out without looking into what she is saying?

The unfortunate headline on this article is doing nothing to help this woman's case.

Here's the deal breaker for me:

Lynn and Handley wed in 1988, but soon divorced.

Seriously? There are no other jobs in Vegas or anywhere nearby? She had to be a hooker? She had to marry him? Please. When this happened they were not married and she could have walked away. She might as well sue the preacher or JP or whoever married them for not being psychic and stopping the wedding.

If she was in an abusive relationship, that's a whole separate thing from McDonalds. But how are they supposed to know when she was voluntarily dating him, married him, and there is no indication in this article that she so much as complained to corporate about him or being fired almost 20 years ago?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-working-girl-article-1.1052277#ixzz1sacuy800

IF any of this from the OP link is true:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-working-girl-article-1.1052277#ixzz1rqKBzXIC
BBM

then I do not feel this is frivolous. Far less frivolous than the lady who sued them for serving her hot coffee and burning herself with it. I expect my coffee to be hot and would be pizzed if it were not. I do not expect to be harassed at my work with no avenue to address the issue even if I allowed myself to become involved with my boss - often times it isn't the woman's choice if she wants to keep her job. And as far as simply moving to a different store....not if the manager puts in a bad word about her to the other managers because wants her under his control. If this woman can prove these allegations then I say more power to her. There are far more frivolous things clogging up our courts right now than this IMO.

Imagine for one second if what she says is true. Or even partially true. How would you feel if this were your sister? Would you really want the case simply thrown out without looking into what she is saying?

The unfortunate headline on this article is doing nothing to help this woman's case.

Everyone has the perception that the hot coffee suit was frivolous - it really wasn't. The problem was that McDonald's regulations for coffee temperature were not being followed leading to severe third degree burns within seconds that left her horribly injured. Had the McDonalds that served her been following industry regulations for the temperature of the coffee, she would not have been so injured. Furthermore, this is something that they had been repeatedly warned about and didn't fix, and although the award seemed high, the victim had significant medical bills for her injuries which required skin grafts and physical therapy. It only added up to a day or two's worth of income to the company.

Sorry, bit of a soapbox for me since I learned about the case in school. I totally had a different perception of it until I learned the facts.

Everyone has the perception that the hot coffee suit was frivolous - it really wasn't. The problem was that McDonald's regulations for coffee temperature were not being followed leading to severe third degree burns within seconds that left her horribly injured. Had the McDonalds that served her been following industry regulations for the temperature of the coffee, she would not have been so injured. Furthermore, this is something that they had been repeatedly warned about and didn't fix, and although the award seemed high, the victim had significant medical bills for her injuries which required skin grafts and physical therapy. It only added up to a day or two's worth of income to the company.

Sorry, bit of a soapbox for me since I learned about the case in school. I totally had a different perception of it until I learned the facts.

I was one who had a misconception about the infamous hot coffee case too. Til a friend/coworker clued me in to the actual facts of the case.

I also agree this case is very different. How exactly is McDonalds at fault for her dating choices, her job choices, her choice of husband, and so forth? Plus, why now? Did it take her this long to figure who to blame? This case stinks.

How can the fact that Handley - the ex husband was also her boss, hired her, entered into a relationship with her and according to her forced her to quit said job be a 'non-issue'? Have you never been played by the Good Ol' Boys network???? I have.....maybe that is why I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. Note that the article says that Handley still owns and runs the same store that is being discussed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-working-girl-article-1.1052277#ixzz1sacuy800
Lynn says that Handley, who still runs the franchise, forced her termination to make her more vulnerable to his demands.

This would not be the first time in history this ploy has been used to control a woman. I'm not sure how the divorce factors into this and carries so much weight if he was controlling her every move and finances and she had been forced [allegedly] into prostitution three years before.

Lynn, who was down on her luck, said Handley lied when he said help her fulfill her dreams of working as a Las Vegas dancer.

He bought her a home in Vegas to live in, but then told her she’d have to get a job as a prostitute in one of the legal brothels to pay for it.

If he bought the home, it was in his name and he could throw her out any time he wanted to. I don't know if this woman had any kind of support system to fall back on, any family to rely upon, what her mental/physical status was/is. If there was no system in place for her to complain about this what was she supposed to do? Go get another fast food job with the Chicken Ranch as her previous employment and Handley as her reference?

I don't know the ages are of these people but generally young guys (in the 80's) did not buy and own their own McDonald's franchises and generally (in the 80's) you didn't see middle aged women working behind the counter.....it was usually teens or early 20 somethings. A big red flag IMO.

I didn't read anything stating that she instigated the divorce. He could have divorced her and continued to control her.....stranger things have happened.

Call me stupid and naive but I need more information before I can simply dismiss this woman and her story. I haven't walked in her shoes but I can imagine her path and IMO, compassion is never the wrong reaction.

How can the fact that Handley - the ex husband was also her boss, hired her, entered into a relationship with her and according to her forced her to quit said job be a 'non-issue'? Have you never been played by the Good Ol' Boys network???? I have.....maybe that is why I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. Note that the article says that Handley still owns and runs the same store that is being discussed.

This would not be the first time in history this ploy has been used to control a woman. I'm not sure how the divorce factors into this and carries so much weight if he was controlling her every move and finances and she had been forced [allegedly] into prostitution three years before.

If he bought the home, it was in his name and he could throw her out any time he wanted to. I don't know if this woman had any kind of support system to fall back on, any family to rely upon, what her mental/physical status was/is. If there was no system in place for her to complain about this what was she supposed to do? Go get another fast food job with the Chicken Ranch as her previous employment and Handley as her reference?

I don't know the ages are of these people but generally young guys (in the 80's) did not buy and own their own McDonald's franchises and generally (in the 80's) you didn't see middle aged women working behind the counter.....it was usually teens or early 20 somethings. A big red flag IMO.

I didn't read anything stating that she instigated the divorce. He could have divorced her and continued to control her.....stranger things have happened.

Call me stupid and naive but I need more information before I can simply dismiss this woman and her story. I haven't walked in her shoes but I can imagine her path and IMO, compassion is never the wrong reaction.

The main problem I have is that she's suing McDonald's and not the guy who did this to her. Of course that's because McDonald's has deeper pockets. I don't see how this can be considered McDonald's fault. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back