’48 Hours’ “Hannah Graham: Deadly Connections”

I rewatched the 48 Hours episode and picked up on something I hadn't before.

On the day Jesse Matthew's apartment was searched (September 19, 2014), police obtained a cigar tip from JM's wallet. This was tested for DNA.

To me, this means that Chief Longo and authorities knew of the forensic connection to Morgan Harrington and RG shortly after they searched his apartment.

I have suspected for quite a while that authorities knew of the connection between JM and Morgan Harrington/RG LONG before they told the public. If you go back and rewatch press conferences, analyze Chief Longo's demeanor, and read between the lines of his words, I believe it is somewhat obvious.

I would go so far as to say authorities may have surreptitiously obtained JM's DNA once he was identified on the surveillance videos.

I was very impressed by Laura French's interviews and coverage of Hannah Graham and other Virginia cases...I watch her news coverage here in VA often. I am so thankful for all the hard work and collaboration between agencies that has brought about justice for RG, and will do the same for Morgan and Hannah. Now my prayer is that our other VA missing and murdered will have justice too...particularly thinking of Alexis Murphy (even though her family has justice they don't have HER) and Anjelica Hadsell (her family has HER but no justice).

Great coverage, as usual, by 48 Hours.

<BBM for Focus>

Six months into the Morgan Harrington murder case, police have dropped a bombshell: Forensic testing has concluded that the black Pantera t-shirt found on a bush outside an apartment building at the corner of 15th Street and Grady Avenue belonged to Harrington and is the one she was reportedly wearing when she disappeared after attending an October 17 Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena. The news is the first major development in the case to be made public since the discovery of Harrington's body on January 26 on a 740-acre farm in southern Albemarle County, and it comes as a shock to those who live in the 21-unit building where the shirt was found.

"Good God!" exclaimed Blaine Eichner, the UVA student who discovered the shirt back in mid-November as he was returning home from class.
http://www.readthehook.com/67960/pantera-find-shirt-15th-street-was-morgan-harringtons

Letter by Joe Rader
Retired Lieutenant, Virginia State Police

Unsolved, unforgotten: Retired Harrington investigator pens letter
By Courteney Stuart | stuart@readthehook.com
Published online 6:07pm Wednesday Nov 14th, 2012

An Open Letter to The Person with Information on Morgan Harrington’s Death,

You know my face and voice because you have closely followed the case. Now, I no longer speak as a
COP or for the state police, but as a father, husband, brother, friend to others and person of faith. I
retired from law enforcement and the case, but their hard work continues every day. I have not run away
from wanting to help find the TRUTH of what happened that chilly October night at JPJA and the bridge in
Charlottesville, VA. Some people evaluated every word I said in press conferences as some sort of
secret coded messages, but that was never the case.

So there is no confusion for you, I will be very blunt- YOU are not the same person you were in October
2009, because you hold the TRUTH of what happened to Morgan that October night and it has consumed
your conscience every day. You see, you have important information from that night! It is time for YOU
to DO THE RIGHT THING and free the burden of your conscience with the information you have. It is
time for YOU to stand up in the name of humanity and justice. It is time for YOU to show that you have a
sympathetic and dignified place in your heart so heavily troubled, regardless of your involvement in the
circumstances leading to Morgan’s death.

Money has not brought you forward, but I understand it. No amount of money can clear a conscience
that hides the truth. So what has held you back from making that call? Maybe you talked to law enforcement
and they missed your message. It can happen, so pick up the phone and call the VSP,
AMW, FBI, or Crime Stoppers tip line. You have no excuses of lack of options to call!
<snopped - read more @ link>
http://www.readthehook.com/files/article-documents/news-joeraderlettermain.pdf

Although a valiant effort from the investigator which can sometimes work on certain types of criminals this approach was never going to work on this monster. Because he has absolutely no conscience and is totally selfish.

A real monster serial killer of the Bundy type where there is no sorrow or feeling of guilt from him. He was not sorry and was just killing and raping for his own selfish reasons. He is not capable of feeling sorry for his victims.

Luckily for us these types of killers are somewhat rare but they do exist and we can never forget that.

The reason the murders happened is very simple for a monster like him. He raped for selfish reasons and killed them at the end to prevent any possibility of being caught which is again selfish in nature. He had absolutely no conscience or feelings for the woman and families that suffered.

These types of monsters are the worst of the worst.

There are 5 Episodes on 48 Hours on Play.it---audio only.
1-Vanished. 2-Person Of Interest. 3-Where Is Hannah Graham.
4-Case Widens. 5-Genesis Of Evil.

In Episode 2 They interviewed several known friends of JLM. They cannot believe he would do something like this (this was last year though). One girl said she was intoxicated one night and he took her back to his home. She said in the morning he took her back home. Others said the same thing but took them home. Funny all his friends back then called him LJ.

I only listened to two episodes so far but it's amazingly a great series to listen to.

http://www1.play.it/audio/48-hours/

Why in the world did JM leave Morgan's t-shirt?

I have a feeling that JM knew the apartment area close by had numerous people living there and he may have dropped off someone there before at a party or something.

I think he was planting the shirt to try to blame someone (anyone) in those apartments where multiple people lived. An attempt to throw off investigators to think someone who lived near there had taken MH.

Well said.

It was a great special and helped explain some things for me.

I think he was scoping out the lady on the beach and was thinking of raping and killing her too. She was amazing to have the guts to stay there after knowing who he was.

What a monster.

Schools need to do a better job of reporting all sexual assaults to LE from their student athletes and to have a way for other schools to know what happened at previous schools.

I think he was checking her out also, Hatfield. The lyrics, "Should I stay or should I go?", would have been repeating over and over like an ear worm in my brain. She is a brave lady!

I agree that schools need to share information on transferees. AND I also think we parents should instruct our daughters in college to report to the local LEA first instead of college police in the event of sexual asault. JMO

I think he was checking her out also, Hatfield. The lyrics, "Should I stay or should I go?", would have been repeating over and over like an ear worm in my brain. She is a brave lady!

I agree that schools need to share information on transferees. AND I also think we parents should instruct our daughters in college to report to the local LEA first instead of college police in the event of sexual asault. JMO

Wow, bringing back memories.

When I was in college I had two experiences that were only with the university police. and I don't believe were ever shared with the police in the city. I never knew that at the time I should go to local police , and if I had any child going to a university I would tell them only to go to the local police and not the university!!! That is a message that should be sent to all children in my opinion.. And I wish someone would start that discussion in the media!!! Report things to local police and not keep it within the university police as I thought was appropriate at the time when I was 18 &19 years old.

One of them was a guy who was masturbating in a car that pulled in front of me in a driveway to the football stadium and blocked me so I could see him doing that. when he pulled away I got the license plate and gave a description to the campus police.

The campus police pretty much talked me out of prosecuting saying I identified him and he would get help and I moved on.

afaik.. This was never reported to the police!!

The other situation I will never go into... Just to say it was campus police reported ...and I haven't thought about it for years. I have buried the memory until things like this now. Really ...just now this moment . After decades .

All children going to college should be told by their parents / have to go to the police and not just the campus authorities !

Using talk to text with lots of grammar errors !

I totally agree about using local police instead of university police.

The universities have a built in bias due to their reputation and enrollment numbers which relates to money coming into the school.

Why does everything in the world revolve around Money. Ugggggg

Im not saying all schools would not do the right thing but IMO I would not want to rely on them. Since if something bad happened that would hurt their enrollment figures then I can only guess they would have a bias to not necessarily want to let certain things get out in the public news.

I cant be the only one who looks at the violent boldness of this man's crimes and believe whole heartedly there are more. There is no way he took a break that long between Morgan and Hannah. He had 2 assaults on the girls at 2 different schools that were reported and only knew who he was because he went to school there. How many women didn't report? Or didn't know who he was? Or felt guilt that maybe they contributed and didn't report? Then poor RG. He went for someone who could no longer identify. He has a long history of sexual violence towards women. I think there are many more. The way he easily whipped around and cozied up to Hannah, knowing what he had in mind- it is chilling. He's no amateur.

Edited to add---- I dont think he works on "types". I think his type is an alone female who he thinks he can overpower. Hannah was very tall. I think he was increasing what he perceived as a challenge. Evil.

I think you are right. There are more. They just haven't come forward yet. Also I think he was in a relationship the last couple of years if memory serves me right.

Your post made me remember watching 48 Hours the other evening and when the lady on the beach in Galveston saw and recognized him and while she and her doggie sat in her car he drove by and glared at her.

Gave me the chills. Either there were other people on the beach or he was in enough trouble but I think she would have been his victim had times been right.

Shiver....

My thoughts are also with the Harringtons that saw him for the first time in court. Their eyes met the killer of their daughter. That had to be quite a moment.

It's said RG never looked at him in the courtroom but he glared at her.

Shivers....again.

A monster.

I found it rather confusing that the show made an implied association between the disappearance of Alexis Murphy and HG/MH when no such link has been established. I believe that the main female reporter even stated at the beginning that that there was a link, but the only link was between Gil Harrington and Trina Murphy...

I have a feeling that JM knew the apartment area close by had numerous people living there and he may have dropped off someone there before at a party or something.

I think he was planting the shirt to try to blame someone (anyone) in those apartments where multiple people lived. An attempt to throw off investigators to think someone who lived near there had taken MH.

I totally agree 100% and that is what I've always thought long before we knew of Jesse Matthew. Not a very smart move though with his DNA all over it. I really believe he thought he would never get caught. He was so confident in himself that he took Hannah right out in public, at the mall and didn't even think about cameras. I love thinking about how he feels every time more damning evidence comes out and new charges are brought forward. And yes! He is a heartless, soulless monster!

I found it rather confusing that the show made an implied association between the disappearance of Alexis Murphy and HG/MH when no such link has been established. I believe that the main female reporter even stated at the beginning that that there was a link, but the only link was between Gil Harrington and Trina Murphy...

That no link had been established was clear, but I'm glad Ms. Murphy and the stunning Alexis were featured. Ms. Murphy stand so tall as part of the Ugly Little Club's context of loss and what they go through to not knowing where their girls are still. There are many VA families Ms. Murphy stands for, I think. It was so well done and a great compilation of information now too, to put it all in context on MSM.

As a Charlottesville resident and someone who has followed these cases very closely, I also enjoyed the show. I was enrolled in the Charlottesville Citizens Police Academy last fall while Hannah disappeared, was searched for, and was ultimately found. I complimented Chief Longo, a frequent contributor to our weekly classes, on his use of media; and clearly that proved to be the key to apprehending JM in Galveston. I think that there was much chagrin over JM's eluding authorities after leaving the Charlottesville PD, but folks have to realize that he had no charges on him related to Hannah's disappearance at that point. In addition, his appearance at the police dept was spur of the moment as far as the police were concerned. He asked for a lawyer to be appointed, which couldn't be done since he had no charges, and then he took off.....

First time murderer is still a murderer!!!! No slack option for murderers.

I've finally caught up with 48 Hours. Not much in the way of new information, but a helpful reminder of the facts as we know them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back