10-28-12 Los Angeles just had an EQ

Herding Cats

Reaction score
Sat here, felt the house shake, all the critters looked up...and now are back doing whatever they were doing. This was maybe 3 minutes ago.

Yikes.

I'll go get info...

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA: it looks like it was a small, shallow quake - a 3.8 or so, just northwest of me about 6 miles. Not on the San Andreas, but one of the adjacent faults that run perpendicular to it under the hills in the area.

Blah. I felt it nicely, too. For such a small quake, it had to be close for me to feel it that much.

Now I'll be worried for a big quake for a few days. Sigh. Well, time to go over the emergency plans and supplies; I should do that anyway.

Whaaaat is going on this weekend?! :panic:

Stay safe and keep us updated, HC!

Wuffy, yes, that's it. It's right under the city of Santa Clarita, which is all of 9-10 miles from me. Like I said, it's not the San Andreas (which is the "big" fault in the neighborhood), but it's close enough to indicate either a shift or a pressure build on the SA. Which, of course, is concerning.

GL, I must say, while a 3.9 is attention getting, it wasn't big enough for any of the critters to do more than lift their heads, and I sat here and just kind of thought "well, if it gets bigger, I'll move." It didn't get bigger. I sat on my fanny, and looked it up, and hauled butt over and made the thread (not yet knowing it was only a 3.9). By the time I had started to post this thread, all the critters were back doing what they do...

But I agree - whaaaaaaaaaaaaat is going on this weekend???

WOW.. this stuff is crazy
Right? The concern is, of course, that this is a foreshock. Which is why I'll check through supplies and preparations, just in case. I'm pretty good about keeping food for me and the critters on hand, and have a good supply of emergency stuff, but I realize I'm out of triple A batteries, and some of my emergency stuff runs on those. So I'll make a trip and get those, along with a few other things, and everything will be topped off.

I loved those commercials...and yes, it's true...it's NOT nice to fool Mother Nature.

All's quiet - I haven't felt any of the few aftershocks...so unless this is a foreshock, this was all the "excitement" I get for now. LOL. Which is, of course, just fine with me.

Hmmm. Frankenstorm, a huge eq in Canada, tsunamis in Hawai'i, and now a shake here in the Los Angeles area. Yeah, this is a weird weekend indeed.

Best-
Herding Cats

That's funny. We also had a 3.9 last night at about 12:45, 19 miles north of Palm Springs. (No, this isn't the same as the one in L.A.)

I actually heard it coming from the North before my chair began to shake. (My husband was sitting next to me on a sofa and felt nothing, but our son came out of his bedroom where the motion was quite distinct. Earthquakes are weird.)

The area of "our" quake is the general vicinity of the San Andreas, but it looks like it, too, may have been one of the "feeder" faults.

(For those who haven't experienced many quakes, a 3.9 wouldn't even be worth talking about in our area if it weren't for the other quakes in North America over the past 24 hours.)

Herding Cats, I hope this won't disappoint you, but they still haven't reported any damage in Hawaii and your quake was downgraded to a 2.5. I can't speak for the East Coast, but if this is the Apocalypse, we may not even need the bottled water. LOL.

This is a weird weekend for sure. NJ's shore line communities are in manditory evacuations. I'm about 70 miles inland so I'm staying put. My big concern is the expected power outages. I have no doubt that the power lines will go down...and from past experiences, expect it to be out at least a few days.

I mistakenly went food shopping today - what a nightmare. People were frantic - really frantic, with carts crashing into one and other, and very short tempers. I was in one isle and some lady walks over to me and does the ol' side eye, quiet voiced pssssssttt and said "they just restocked the water isle, you better hurry". I know she meant well, but it was almost comical.

I could tell that the Home Depot, which is in the same mall as the food store, was mobbed due to the parking lot... I've never seen this mall so crowded in ten years. New of pending big storms are good for the local economy for sure.

Everyone on both coasts - I pray that we all make it though these acts of nature safely and without much damage... please stay in touch and be sure check on your elderly neighbors.

Herding Cats, I hope this won't disappoint you, but they still haven't reported any damage in Hawaii and your quake was downgraded to a 2.5. I can't speak for the East Coast, but if this is the Apocalypse, we may not even need the bottled water. LOL.

No, Nova, they haven't downgraded. There is one aftershock that's a 2.5, and apparently Carpenteria just had a 2.5, but this one remains a 3.9.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci15237281#summary

You're right, of course, that it's barely worth mentioning; these are the quakes that we don't even really pay attention to...not until it's a 5 or better. Still a wonderful reminder to check up on the supplies and make sure the batteries are good.

And why would it disappoint me that there is no damage from the tsunami in Hawai'i? I couldn't be more happy about that. And yes again, if this is the Apocolypse, the critters aren't paying too much attention...and no, not even bottled water would be necessary for this one. LOL.

(I really hope you're joking about me being disappointed. If not, that's a very meanspirited thing to say...).

Best-
Herding Cats

That's funny. We also had a 3.9 last night at about 12:45, 19 miles north of Palm Springs. (No, this isn't the same as the one in L.A.)

I actually heard it coming from the North before my chair began to shake. (My husband was sitting next to me on a sofa and felt nothing, but our son came out of his bedroom where the motion was quite distinct. Earthquakes are weird.)

The area of "our" quake is the general vicinity of the San Andreas, but it looks like it, too, may have been one of the "feeder" faults.

(For those who haven't experienced many quakes, a 3.9 wouldn't even be worth talking about in our area if it weren't for the other quakes in North America over the past 24 hours.)

What did the quake sound like Nova?

No, Nova, they haven't downgraded. There is one aftershock that's a 2.5, and apparently Carpenteria just had a 2.5, but this one remains a 3.9.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci15237281#summary

You're right, of course, that it's barely worth mentioning; these are the quakes that we don't even really pay attention to...not until it's a 5 or better. Still a wonderful reminder to check up on the supplies and make sure the batteries are good.

And why would it disappoint me that there is no damage from the tsunami in Hawai'i? I couldn't be more happy about that. And yes again, if this is the Apocolypse, the critters aren't paying too much attention...and no, not even bottled water would be necessary for this one. LOL.

(I really hope you're joking about me being disappointed. If not, that's a very meanspirited thing to say...).

Best-
Herding Cats

HC, I was completely kidding and not at your expense. Of course I know you take no more pleasure from suffering caused by natural disasters than I do. I am very, very sorry if that wasn't clear.

And thank you for the correction on the 3.9 outside Newhall. Apparently, on the map I checked, the aftershock was showing on top and hiding the original quake.

Again, I was just trying to be a little light-hearted about our shakers. I wasn't making light of anyone's potential damage and I certainly wasn't accusing you of anything mean-spirited.

What did the quake sound like Nova?

I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, even though I've heard the sound before. My son described it as "a semi coming down the street", but I would say it's more like a "freight train". (We have a street that ends at our front gate.)

But even that isn't exactly right. In fact, when I first heard it, I thought, "Earthquake coming! No, you're just imagining it because you read about the earthquake in Canada." And then the shaking started.

To be clear, we've had lots of earthquakes I did not hear. Nor do I hear them enough in advance to even get out of a chair, so it's not that I'm claiming I get some sort of "magical" advance warning.

But on more that one occasion, I have heard the rumble in the distance and felt it approach, pass under me, and them move on to the South. Maybe it has to do with living so close to the San Andreas Fault, due North of here.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, even though I've heard the sound before. My son described it as "a semi coming down the street", but I would say it's more like a "freight train". (We have a street that ends at our front gate.)

But even that isn't exactly right. In fact, when I first heard it, I thought, "Earthquake coming! No, you're just imagining it because you read about the earthquake in Canada." And then the shaking started.

To be clear, we've had lots of earthquakes I did not hear. Nor do I hear them enough in advance to even get out of a chair, so it's not that I'm claiming I get some sort of "magical" advance warning.

But on more that one occasion, I have heard the rumble in the distance and felt it approach, pass under me, and them move on to the South. Maybe it has to do with living so close to the San Andreas Fault, due North of here.

When I lived in Southern California as a kid I slept thru any earthquakes we had. Felt the one in Missouri, so many years ago, woke me up. Didn't remember any noises just a rumbling like a large semi truck was passing us by. Items shaking on our dresser as it was like 4 oclock in the morning.

Glad you are safe and prepared!

As posters have said, what a weird week.

I have two words for that question, Edgar Cayce. He predicted a shift in the earth's axis, and said it would result in flash flooding on the east coast, quakes on the wast coast and in many regions throughout the world. much like the myans predicted.

I have two words for that question, Edgar Cayce. He predicted a shift in the earth's axis, and said it would result in flash flooding on the east coast, quakes on the wast coast and in many regions throughout the world. much like the myans predicted.

:eek:

HC, I was completely kidding and not at your expense. Of course I know you take no more pleasure from suffering caused by natural disasters than I do. I am very, very sorry if that wasn't clear.

And thank you for the correction on the 3.9 outside Newhall. Apparently, on the map I checked, the aftershock was showing on top and hiding the original quake.

Again, I was just trying to be a little light-hearted about our shakers. I wasn't making light of anyone's potential damage and I certainly wasn't accusing you of anything mean-spirited.

Cool beans, Nova. I didn't think you were, but wanted to make sure.

As to the sound of a quake, it's terribly hard to describe. You know how when thunder happens, you can hear it in the air? Like "up above"? This is a lot like that, but below and under you. It's a thick, heavy, full sound, that is definitely distinctive. Once you've heard an eq coming, it's unmistakeable after that. Yes, it's like a semi; like a freight train...but it's bigger, more encompassing than those. Those are "straight line" sounds, and an eq is an "all around you" sound.

This one I heard coming, too...heard it, but before I could id it for sure, there was a lurch...the whole house lurched. The critters looked around, and within a moment of the lurch, the waves came. It lasted maybe 4-6 seconds, but that's long enough. LOL. I sat there, waiting for it to get stronger, but it didn't...just slowly stopped shaking and rumbling. The critters didn't even move...just looked around, and then went back to doing whatever they were doing (mostly sleeping...).

Edgar Cayce is definitely an interesting cat. He had some very interesting predictions, and saw a lot of things which, from what I understand, have happened.

This is a weird, weird time we're living in...a very weird time. This weekend just seems like it's compressed all the weirdness together somehow.

Best-
Herding Cats

I'm very glad you asked, HC. It was the adult way to handle the situation and I appreciate it.

I'm not an expert on ancient Maya culture, but my understanding is that their calendar just ends in our December 2012. It doesn't actually say time ends on that date, no more than my kitchen calendar says the world ends on its last page.

IIRC the ancient Aztecs believed we are in the "Fifth World" and it will end in earthquakes. But they didn't predict anything as specific as "East Coast v. West Coast". (They also didn't predict the even more catastrophic epidemics that arrived with the Spanish in 1519.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back