10 yr old jailed for fight with sister

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/10YearOld_Jailed_for_Fight_wi

FLOWER MOUND, Texas - Police in Flower Mound arrested a 10-year-old girl over the weekend for fighting with her older sister. They handcuffed her, took her fingerprints and picture, and charged with assault.

From the article:

"They fingerprinted my baby," said Rhonda Green. "My baby is in the system, for having a fight with her sister. She's ten."

Something better change or it sounds like this won't be her baby's last time in the system.

Siblings DO fight sometimes, and my own boys have sometimes caused each other to bleed when pushing each other down----someone will get a scraped knee or something. I have to admit that I have never thought of this as "family violence" because in my mind that would be something much more serious than a shoving match. The girls don't seem to be injured, and my opinion is based on the assumption that any injuries were minor.

Either this fight escalated WAY beyond anything I've seen, or the area has a "zero tolerance" policy whereby they consider all fights between family members to be "family violence" or the police overreacted.

I get the point that we all want the momma to have the child take responsibility and not "baby" her into thinking she can knock people around, but I totally understand the mom's frustration over her daughters fight being forced into the legal system rather than being handled by the parents in their own home. None of us really know whether the mom would have handled the situation properly or not.

Sometimes I think we've gone way too far in one direction in USA. When we arrest five year olds for having a fork at school and 10 year olds for fighting with their sisters, I wonder WHAT we'll do for a TRUE instance of violence. I may have shared this with y'all before, I can't remember. I had a son in the 6th grade who was on recess break at his middle school---their recess area was barren of trees, no benches, no climb toys, no balls and bats, no nothing. My son and his best friend found a bottle top on the ground and began tossing it back and forth to each other, and the principal called me to tell me this was VERY serious. She could have had both 11 year olds arrested for assaulting each other, but out of the goodness of her heart, she was only going to suspend them each for 10 days. That's the day I started reading stories like this one with quite a different eye.

Siblings DO fight sometimes, and my own boys have sometimes caused each other to bleed when pushing each other down----someone will get a scraped knee or something. I have to admit that I have never thought of this as "family violence" because in my mind that would be something much more serious than a shoving match. The girls don't seem to be injured, and my opinion is based on the assumption that any injuries were minor.

Either this fight escalated WAY beyond anything I've seen, or the area has a "zero tolerance" policy whereby they consider all fights between family members to be "family violence" or the police overreacted.

I get the point that we all want the momma to have the child take responsibility and not "baby" her into thinking she can knock people around, but I totally understand the mom's frustration over her daughters fight being forced into the legal system rather than being handled by the parents in their own home. None of us really know whether the mom would have handled the situation properly or not.

Sometimes I think we've gone way too far in one direction in USA. When we arrest five year olds for having a fork at school and 10 year olds for fighting with their sisters, I wonder WHAT we'll do for a TRUE instance of violence. I may have shared this with y'all before, I can't remember. I had a son in the 6th grade who was on recess break at his middle school---their recess area was barren of trees, no benches, no climb toys, no balls and bats, no nothing. My son and his best friend found a bottle top on the ground and began tossing it back and forth to each other, and the principal called me to tell me this was VERY serious. She could have had both 11 year olds arrested for assaulting each other, but out of the goodness of her heart, she was only going to suspend them each for 10 days. That's the day I started reading stories like this one with quite a different eye.

*bolded by me* I can't believe that! Gone are the days where a teacher could just tell the students to stop it. Now, the bad apples have caused the system to go so overboard, we're winding up with situations like yours. Ridiculous!

Wasn't there a case recently referred to the US Supreme Court involving a 13 or so year old girl in Arizona whose parents sued the school district for conducting a strip search on her in front of faculty members, one of them male- because one of her friends was caught with a 'narcotic' and she claimed she got it from this girl? They didnt find anything and the kid now is home schooled, she won't go back there.
What astounded me was what they were looking for- a cigarette.
I heard this on a news show and would like to see if anyone knows more about it. Astounding.

I agree that sometimes the police have to intervene with young kids that no one ever thought LE would have to be prepared to deal with, but reading this article it just sounds stupid.

It seems to be one of those laws that was written with good intentions and has really dumb side effects like this one.

Neither girl appears to be injured in the photo, and by everyone's description they were pushing and shoving one another. If sibling roughhousing is family violence, then almost every family I know needs an intervention.

My cousin's wife is one of 5 girls, and the stories she tells about the slap fights and hair pulling make me cringe. They were a nice happy family - just sharing one bathroom and two closets!

I guess my twelve year old grandson is lucky then. He got into a little slap fight with a boy at school and only got a disorderly conduct citation and a $244 fine instead of being cuffed, arrested, and printed. The other boy got the same thing. We have the option of going to the ridiculous and biased teen court and community service, but lack of community service options for a child and upcoming surgery is going to make me have to pay the fine out monthly instead. Treating normal children like criminals serves nothing except cost families money and make the city more money. They should go after the real criminals.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back