15-ton "fatberg" removed from London sewer

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by wfgodot, Aug 5, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

'Bus-Sized' Lump Of Fat Called A 'Fatberg' Discovered In London Sewer. (Gawker)
    more, with reader comments, at link above; it was the size of a double-decker bus, actually, according to another report I read

2. Loading...

3. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

Lol. Fatberg.

Is that what makes the sewage stink up the entire city here I wonder? It gets really bad. I see crews working on what they call "the main lines", wonder if they are removing all the deposited fat and other things that even I do not really want to know about. Must be a horrible job, good pay and benefits, but I would not be able to do it for 60 seconds, much less an entire day. (I have been told that there are horrible things in the city water pipes. Bleck.)

4. lost indie

lost indie New Member

Just curious.....what do you guys do with your fat rather than putting it in the drain? I seldom have to drain fat but when I do I put it down the garbage disposal. I can see where draining fat down drains is not a good idea but what else do you do with it?

:truce:

5. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

Save a container, or even just wait until it cools and put it into 2 plastic left over grocery bags, (or in the container, can or jar) and into the trash it goes. Don't cook much with fat anymore, but that is how I have handled it.

There is more fat than just cooking fat going into the sewage though. If it goes in, it has to come out. :sick:

6. ArianeEmory

ArianeEmory I know the pieces fit

You're supposed to put it into a container (such as the jug you bought the oil in) and throw it away. Or recycle, or get a biodiesel engine.

7. EmmaliLucia

EmmaliLucia New Member

So this is cooking lard? Not like actual people fat, right?

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Oddly, Daily Mail had an article about the serial killer Dennis Nilsen's Muswell Hill, London, flat being up for sale today. Nilsen attempted to dispose a victim he'd killed and cut up there by flushing pieces down the toilet. That would have been "people fat."

9. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

I don't think it was the fat and grease that created the clog. More likely it was the nappies and tampons. It says 'wet wipes' but I don't think so.

10. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

This was my first thought, how much is left over and how many more.

Guess we read here too much!

11. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

‘Flushable’ Wipes Clog Ocean City’s Sewer System

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/07/28/flushable-wipes-clog-ocean-citys-sewer-system/

Flushable Wipes Causing Problems with Sanitary Sewer

http://www.wyomingmn.org/index.asp?Type=B_PR&SEC={3AE12D5C-D938-4CF7-BE44-5FF3FD6A03C7}&DE={69C6ECFE-423A-46D4-BF89-154A38BD992F}

“Flushable” wipes causing problems for Thiensville sewer system

http://fox6now.com/2013/01/15/flushable-wipes-causing-problems-for-thiensville-sewer-system/

Wipes in the pipes snarling sewers

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/16/wipes-pollution/2522919/

12. matou

matou #los2188

People aren't supposed to put any fat into a drain. My mom always poured any fat into a tin can and placed it in the fridge to solidify and then put into the trash. I do this too.

I've seen a few restaurant owners get in trouble in Toronto for pouring their grease into a sewer grate in their back alley. They were fined. I wonder if this is what was happening to cause this in London.

13. Dania

Dania New Member

I argue with my husband on this. He grew up in the country, with a septic system that got professionally flushed as needed. (he says maybe 3 times in the all the years his family lived there.) I grew up in the city and where they ran PSAs on the tv about Never Ever dump oil, grease, fat, whatever down the drain because it clogs the sewers. A few weeks ago, we had a clog that we couldn't flush, even with liquid plumber so we had to call our manager to send out a plumber. He had a talk with my hubster who's been a lot more careful about it. I was all "nope, I'm not the grease dumper! I'm the Grease Pourer Into a Tin Can and Toss It Out-er."

14. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I use a small (maxwell house) coffee can w/plastic lid. I put all excess grease from cooking in it then just chuck it out when full. I buy the small cans when they are on sale to have as a back up and for grease. :)