17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was bonded out pretty easily. If the judge thought he was a violent criminal that posed a danger to society he would still be in jail. imo

His bond was also based on his ability to pay. Of course, the Judge wasn't aware of the $200.000+ he conveniently had tucked away at the time as he allegedly hid that fact from his attorney.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/trayvon-martin-lawyer-rai_n_1403282.html

In an interview with ThinkProgress, Natalie Jackson said that the elder Zimmerman, a former magistrate judge, understands "“what probable cause needs to be” in order to arrest a suspect or to issue a warrant. Robert Zimmerman was present when the police questioned his son the day after the shooting and re-enacted the incident.

Jackson told ThinkProgress that the elder Zimmerman's presence was possibly inappropriate because "we don't know what coaching went on."

LOL thanks! On that note, I'm off to bed. Have a good one!

He was bonded out pretty easily. If the judge thought he was a violent criminal that posed a danger to society he would still be in jail. imo

You are exactly right. From Richard Horsby's site:

http://www.richardhornsby.com/criminal/procedure/bond-hearings.html

The nature of the crimes,
The amount of evidence,
Community ties, including:
Local Family Members,
Length of Residence,
Employment History,
Financial Resources, and
Mental Condition
Past and Present Criminal History, including:
Any Criminal Convictions,
Past Failures to Appear, and
Previous Flight from Prosecution.
The Source of Funds to post Bail,
Whether a Danger to the Community or victim exists, etc.

Now I'm off. Goodnight Katy :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/trayvon-martin-lawyer-rai_n_1403282.html

In an interview with ThinkProgress, Natalie Jackson said that the elder Zimmerman, a former magistrate judge, understands "“what probable cause needs to be” in order to arrest a suspect or to issue a warrant. Robert Zimmerman was present when the police questioned his son the day after the shooting and re-enacted the incident.

Jackson told ThinkProgress that the elder Zimmerman's presence was possibly inappropriate because "we don't know what coaching went on."

Why shouldn't he call his dad? What's wrong with a parent being present after an arrest. I have seen that a zillion times. Talk about an over reaction on eveyone's part.

This judge is not supposed to sit before a trial with any defendant who was ever arrested previously in Orange County.

And the defendant, unlike most, is not allowed to call his father and have him come and talk to the investigators. Which is odd, because the cops usually always interview the family in cases like this.

Just so I'm clear on things, is the following information correct?

Zimmerman and a friend (both underage) were questioned about drinking by an undercover cop at a bar and GZ allegedly pushed the officer, resulting in 2 felony charges (obstructing justice/assault on LEO). Those charges were reduced to misdemeanors and waived/dismissed when he entered a diversion program, resulting in no criminal conviction.

Zimmerman and a girlfriend filed domestic violence petitions against each other. She alleged he shoved her and he said she scratched up his face. Each received restraining orders against the other. Were any criminal charges ever brought against him in that regard/was there a conviction?

I'm unsure what his criminal record actually is based on various accounts I've read here and elsewhere. Has he ever actually been convicted of any crimes at all? Is there more out there I'm missing?

Thanks!

Just so I'm clear on things, is the following information correct?

Zimmerman and a friend (both underage) were questioned about drinking by an undercover cop at a bar and GZ allegedly pushed the officer, resulting in 2 felony charges (obstructing justice/assault on LEO). Those charges were reduced to misdemeanors and waived/dismissed when he entered a diversion program, resulting in no criminal conviction.

Zimmerman and a girlfriend filed domestic violence petitions against each other. She alleged he shoved her and he said she scratched up his face. Each received restraining orders against the other. Were any criminal charges ever brought against him in that regard/was there a conviction?

I'm unsure what his criminal record actually is based on various accounts I've read here and elsewhere. Has he ever actually been convicted of any crimes at all? Is there more out there I'm missing?

Thanks!

No, George was not underage. Here is a link to the searchpage.http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx

No, George was not underage. Here is a link to the searchpage.http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx

Thank you, highflyer! That link was exactly what I needed. After I visited, I remembered we had used that site during the Anthony trial. Doh!

One of the articles I read said GZ was underage during that incident, but he clearly was not. Looks like he was a few months shy of 22 yrs.

Thanks again! :) (Hope I can get this posted in between freezes on the site.)

Could someone please bring me up to speed as to why it is thought a problem that the judge's wife has worked in the same district in which GZ was let off easy on some earlier stuff? Did she personally do a favor to someone letting GZ go or was she just hired by the same organization that handled the case?

If it had happened in Seminole county instead, would all the Seminole county employees now be considered as having a conflict of interest?

Could someone please bring me up to speed as to why it is thought a problem that the judge's wife has worked in the same district in which GZ was let off easy on some earlier stuff? Did she personally do a favor to someone letting GZ go or was she just hired by the same organization that handled the case?

If it had happened in Seminole county instead, would all the Seminole county employees now be considered as having a conflict of interest?

Probably much ado about nothing. I think Judge Lester will stay on top of the proceedings and stay within the law when issuing rulings. I got a good feeling about him at the bond hearing and while I'm not likely to appreciate all of his rulings, I think he'll be fair. That's the most TM's parents and GZ's family can ask for.

Donjeta, the best I can tell from the scant information contained in the article (as well as the original article it links to, which interestingly appears to be the reporter's own news site?:waitasec:) is that the reporter learned of the connection and tried to make it a story, make it seem like something untoward was going on because the judge wouldn't comment on the matter.

Really, unless there's some important information the reporter withheld (don't know why he would), I can't see that it even is a story.

OK, thank you... :)

Considering that some people are in court for small stuff and big stuff over and over again, it seems to me that we'd run out of judges pretty fast if everyone who ever worked in one of those districts or is related to someone who worked in one of those districts was considered unable to be impartial because of it.

Which is not a reason for 10 days suspension, it could have easily been removed. IIRC, this is when they found the jewelry.

The 10 days was because it was not his first suspension. They get progressively longer. jmo

Which is not a reason for 10 days suspension, it could have easily been removed. IIRC, this is when they found the jewelry.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...in-was-suspended-three-times-from-school?lite

October suspension was for locker marking and security claims to have found jewelry but TM's parents were never told so they are challenging that as charges were never brought. The 10 day suspension, which was the latest, was for finding an empty bag they "believe" may have had pot in it. The first "suspension" was for being late but school officials claims they do not suspend for tardiness so apparently that was not a suspension but was on his record. jmo

http://cfnews13.com/content/news/cf...ticles/cfn/2012/5/2/city_officials_in_sa.html

Some of the darkest emails came days before the city commission called for resignation of former Chief Bill Lee.
The tone of the emails started to become more positive as little bits and pieces of the evidence came out,” said Mahany.

One specific turning point, according to Mahany, was when the city commission in Sanford denied Chief Bill Lee’s resignation.

<insert Duke University Lacrosse Team>

The only statement the victim can make in this case is from forensic evidence and physical evidence from the scene. This victim is dead and can't testify or give a false statement. jmo

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/02/2779667/zimmermans-attorney-trayvons-social.html

But he hinted that if Zimmerman&#8217;s postings will be scrutinized in court, Trayvon Martin&#8217;s would be too

&#8220;I always assume they are going to attack the victim,&#8221; Crump said when told of O&#8217;Mara&#8217;s statement Wednesday. &#8220;What part of what I said wasn&#8217;t true? You don&#8217;t have to be a rocket scientist to see the behavior pattern. Zimmerman is on trial for murder: His credibility is at issue, his mentality is at issue.&#8221;

In March, conservative bloggers discovered Trayvon had a Twitter account, where he looked older and wore gold covers on his teeth. He often retweeted crude jokes riddled with foul language and posted offensive lyrics to popular rap songs.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...in-was-suspended-three-times-from-school?lite

October suspension was for locker marking and security claims to have found jewelry but TM's parents were never told so they are challenging that as charges were never brought. The 10 day suspension, which was the latest, was for finding an empty bag they "believe" may have had pot in it. The first "suspension" was for being late but school officials claims they do not suspend for tardiness so apparently that was not a suspension but was on his record. jmo

Perhaps the first suspension was an 'in school suspension'. Both of my children recieved ISS for minor infractions. Those ISS students are sent to a separate classroom. IDK if this would be noted on the child's record but I imagine it would be if the FL school systems utilize ISS, that is. TM's parents may not have known if this is the case. Just a thought.

wm

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/02/2779667/zimmermans-attorney-trayvons-social.html

But he hinted that if Zimmerman’s postings will be scrutinized in court, Trayvon Martin’s would be too

“I always assume they are going to attack the victim,” Crump said when told of O’Mara’s statement Wednesday. “What part of what I said wasn’t true? You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the behavior pattern. Zimmerman is on trial for murder: His credibility is at issue, his mentality is at issue.”

In March, conservative bloggers discovered Trayvon had a Twitter account, where he looked older and wore gold covers on his teeth. He often retweeted crude jokes riddled with foul language and posted offensive lyrics to popular rap songs.

From same link:

His email was hacked by white supremacists, although most of the material found there was related to plans for college. Several other widely circulated photos that appeared to show Trayvon looking like a were proven to be fakes.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/02/2779667/zimmermans-attorney-trayvons-social.html#storylink=cpy

Perhaps the first suspension was an 'in school suspension'. Both of my children recieved ISS for minor infractions. Those ISS students are sent to a separate classroom. IDK if this would be noted on the child's record but I imagine it would be if the FL school systems utilize ISS, that is. TM's parents may not have known if this is the case. Just a thought.

wm

I was thinking that, too. Maybe even an after school detention. jmo

Will we now be looking at a new Judge in this case? I wonder why he didn't recuse himself?

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...erman-arrests/

Rob Redding Reports: Judge In Trayvon Martin Case Refuses To Answer Questions About Wife’s Role In Earlier Zimmerman Arrests

May 2, 2012 6:05 PM

ATLANTA, May 2, 2012, 5 p.m. - A Florida judge today refused to discuss his wife, who a newspaper reports worked in the same office that handled previous felony charges that were dismissed against George Zimmerman, the man now responsible for the shooting death of an unarmed Trayvon Martin.

Oh geesh...I believe if his wife was the one who prosecuted GZ back in 2005, the right thing to do is recuse yourself so that there is no appearance of a conflict of interest...

It appears the attorney's in Florida are in the same circle...how can they avoid a conflict of interest, remove yourself....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member