2009.04.09 Cindy's Deposition #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just finished reading Cindi's testimony and all I can say is "What a train wreck." I don't quite understand why he was even allowed to ask her the majority of the questions that he asked her. This whole defamation suit, I get it, I do, but most of his questions really had nothing to do with clearing this woman's name. I am not sticking up for Cindi, I think that she knows way more than she claims, but then I also think that she probably can't believe what she knows because it's too painful. The entire thing makes my head hurt.

Another thing that nags me is some of the stuff that she has not lied about. For example, how hard would it be for her to say that she met Zanieda one time at some random place, just to make it seem that Zaneida exists. If she were really lying for Casey, this would be an easy lie. I just don't get the whole thing. This family is really messed up.

In depositions, there does not have to be any relevance proved, because they are fact seeking events.

In this case, I do see the relevance of the questions about Sawgrass and KC's friends there.

I see the relevance in whether they believed the lies she told and how they were lied to about her working. (if no job, no need for a nanny)

I see the relevance about their financial help because if KC did not have a job, she could not be paying a nanny.

I see the relevance to the stolen credit cards, the stolen money from the grandparents and the Anthonys as that establishes that she was not working and needed money for something.

I see the relevance about the income taxes, and who claimed Caylee. All of the things he asked were very relevant if the Anthonys had been straight up and answered appropriately.

Interesting to me, he did not really ask anything which they had not sworn to before in their interviews, but this time they changed their story and became hostile. When a witness like that turns hostile they are usually covering up something by lying and that is normally when attorneys go "in for the kill." They were really very easy on both of them considering how hostile and how they had changed their prior stories.

It's been said before, but she needs to get her emotional outbursts in check. NOBODY is gonna take too kindly to her finger pointing, gum chomping, demanding attitude at the trial on the witness stand. If she thought this questioning was bad and she got her feathers ruffled, just wait....mark my words, the judge is gonna get her for contempt of court....IMO

ETA : BC better use their video for how NOT to behave at the trial!!

My sentiments exactly! I think Cindy's in for a shock when the REAL courtroom won't put up with her insolence. She'll push the envelope with her rudeness and always having to have the last word, but the judge won't appreciate her wasting the court's time... may land her in a jail cell for a few nights to cool her heels. :D

Surely to God by this point, either DC or LA or even CA would have been clever enough to purchase a few prepaid, disposable cell phone?

Those are not as easy to hide as people believe. They can find all the calls in the area by the towers and then trace them back to specific phones and locations.

I was startled by this, too. Anyone here know if these cell phone records did confirm that DC was on the phone with the psychic?

I am thinking not since it was reported the "psychic" may be charged for lying to LE. I believe they have known for a long time WHO he was talking to and I believe Hoover told them and that is what was heard in chambers and off the record.

You're right, Turbo. And may I also add that under normal circumstances, the deposing attorney would decimate someone who dared to act like Cindy.

That's not really true - we tend to allow the witness a lot of latitute because we know the more they explode the more they lose control and the closer we get to them spilling the truth.

During all this, I learned...The only time CA paid for Caylee's medical was just after she was born. When Caylee got sick did she get to go to the doctor, or was KC the doctor so to speak? So sad

SNIPPED: "There would have been a "call" to the judge and she would have been told to answer the questions or be cited for contempt. There would have been NO tolerance for that type of behavior in any deposition I have ever seen. ... I have even seen people charged with contempt of court and taken away by law enforcement from a deposition for a lot less hostility than either of them exhibited in that deposition.

I have had to call a judge before, but not often. I usually just reserve my right to get a ruling later and move on - I can almost always get what I need with patience, plus the videotaping allows me to show the jury later on just what Ms/Mr. Nicey-Nice is really like. It's what videotaping is for, IMHO.

You are quite welcome! Do you really think BC did not prepare the A's for the deposition? Or was it a matter of G and C having their own agenda regardless of what BC explained to them? I'm still unsure of the answer. I would love to hear your angle on it.

Makes you wonder if BC was letting the A's dig their own graves, either because he is in this for himself and fame or, he has had enough of them and is in enough trouble or, he was letting them bash JM by proxy because he wanted to.

LA's attorney did a LOT better job of directing LA than BC did for the A's yet BC seems a lot stronger/better. My estimation of BC started high but it cannot get much lower, he seems like a JB.

BC did not do his clients any favors by not intervening and directing them better -- guess he did not want to play with 'fire' on video.

B]I will probably have daggers thrown my way for this post... but, I feel it needs to be said ~ [/B]

My emotional mind is appalled at the anger the A's displayed... HOWEVER~ They DID NOT MURDER their darling grand-daughter. so much hatred is spewed their way. ( close to what Casey receives IMO..)

My logical mind ~ I believe their anger stems from this: In no way do THEY want to be responsible for putting their daughter away for murder. I don't care what anyone else thinks about this... THEY don't want to be responsible for it. PERIOD. They are mad because they have to make statements in a deposition for what THEY believe is a frivolous defamation case... BEFORE the murder trial. ( which I bet can be used against Casey in the murder trial (??) ). We may not like it.. but I definately don't think they deserve the hatred they are given for staying with their daughter in this. How can any of us know what this contridiction can mean... losing your grand-daughter .. due to your daughter. It has to make you crazy.

I AM NOT SAYING they should hide anything.. however, I believe the line of questioning was out of line for a defamation case. If this were the murder trial I WOULD HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OPINION.

They are treated horribly in the media, and having watched a friend who's daughter killed her husband.. I know first hand the pain between your loss & the love for a daughter.

The burden that has fallen on these two is unimaginable and I think someone needs to address the fact that they are on the hot coals... not Casey, where it truly belongs.

I say cut them a LITTLE slack. It was a defamation case... not THE murder trial. They DO believe Casey for whatever reason they HAVE to. We may not like it.. but THEY DID NOT KILL THAT BEAUTIFUL LITTLE GIRL...

They State does not need them to convict Casey.. I say for now.. until trial ..leave them alone in their pain.

IMO of course...

I am thinking not since it was reported the "psychic" may be charged for lying to LE. I believe they have known for a long time WHO he was talking to and I believe Hoover told them and that is what was heard in chambers and off the record.

Since that little tidbit came from CA who has been known in the past to be less than shall we say truthful I am not going to believe it until it is in black and white from someone close to the case. Like LE or SA. She just thinks she is soooo dam smart. If she only had a clue what she does not know about the case I am sure she would not be sleeping as well tonight.

That's not really true - we tend to allow the witness a lot of latitute because we know the more they explode the more they lose control and the closer we get to them spilling the truth.

JMO - BC better tell CA & GA to bring salt and pepper with them to court because I see a feeding fest a coming.

One thing that struck me... this is the first I've heard that Cindy had both numbers and addresses for ZFG. I wish someone would ask her why she did not attempt to call ZFG directly, or go to her apartment around the July 3rd timeframe when she was desperately trying to see Caylee. Remember, Cindy actually went to Universal, sent Lee out looking for her, found Amy and picked her up at the mall, yet did not even attempt to call or visit the one person that KC was telling her had Caylee. I just don't get it.

It's the same as in the months after she was known to be missing. The A's travelled all over the US following up on leads to find Caylee, but freely admit that they did not do anything to find ZFG during that time because "law enforcement had all the information". Why is no one calling them out on these inconsistencies??

They are for sure chumming the waters. Sitting right in the middle of the sharks that are going in circles around them. Payback is gonna be HE!!...

I just got back from vacation and watched my DVR so I'm all caught up on the A's depos. First of all, I would like to thank SearchforTruth for posting the link to Bill Schaeffer's analysis of CA's depo. Schaeffer said something that got to the heart of the matter for me. He said that a juror (I'm paraphrasing) would not be sympathetic to the A's if they come off in this manner because their loyalty is not to their dead granddaughter but to the more "sinister" need to protect the killer. I know I'm not saying it exactly but he got it perfectly. The fact that they came off so desperate, particularly CA, will lose them any credibility. She was utterly obnoxious.

B]I will probably have daggers thrown my way for this post... but, I feel it needs to be said ~ [/B]

My emotional mind is appalled at the anger the A's displayed... HOWEVER~ They DID NOT MURDER their darling grand-daughter. so much hatred is spewed their way. ( close to what Casey receives IMO..)

My logical mind ~ I believe their anger stems from this: In no way do THEY want to be responsible for putting their daughter away for murder. I don't care what anyone else thinks about this... THEY don't want to be responsible for it. PERIOD.
They won't be responsible if they only tell the truth. Actually, telling the truth would be a lot easier because they would be doing what's right by both of them (Caylee and Casey) By lying to cover Casey, they are dishonoring Caylee - even if Casey didn't do it, they owe it to Caylee to tell the truth.
They are mad because they have to make statements in a deposition for what THEY believe is a frivolous defamation case... BEFORE the murder trial. ( which I bet can be used against Casey in the murder trial (??) ). We may not like it.. but I definately don't think they deserve the hatred they are given for staying with their daughter in this.
I agree - simply staying with their daughter is not deserving of hatred. However, the juevenile behavior and disrespect for the law with their outright lies is what's inspiring the hatred.
How can any of us know what this contridiction can mean... losing your grand-daughter .. due to your daughter. It has to make you crazy.
According to them, they don't believe it's their daughter so they can't use this excuse. And we can't use it to justify their behavior.

I AM NOT SAYING they should hide anything.. however, I believe the line of questioning was out of line for a defamation case. If this were the murder trial I WOULD HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OPINION.
Wrong - an affirmative defense to defamation is the truth. If you are the plaintiff you win in part by showing that it's not true. KC and company are still maintaining the story that ZFG took Caylee. KC refuses to admit publicly that this isn't the one. That means, they have to show that KC is lying, and to do that, they have to try to solve the murder and find out who really did it. In turn, they have to ask a lot of murder related questions. Also, as the attorney said not every question in a depo has to be directly relevant, it must merely lead to the discovery of relative evidence.

They are treated horribly in the media, and having watched a friend who's daughter killed her husband.. I know first hand the pain between your loss & the love for a daughter.
Did that friend refuse to admit that the daughter had anything to do with the murder? Did the friend blame LE and the media and accuse them of lying about everything? Did the friend get on the stand and perjur herself to protect the daughter? Did the friend obstruct justice by hiding evidence and then try to throw all the daughters friends under the bus and blame them for the murder? This is a different situation entirely.

The burden that has fallen on these two is unimaginable and I think someone needs to address the fact that they are on the hot coals... not Casey, where it truly belongs.
If they would just be honest, the public sympathy would be with them. Unfortunately this is not the case.
I say cut them a LITTLE slack. It was a defamation case... not THE murder trial. They DO believe Casey for whatever reason they HAVE to. We may not like it.. but THEY DID NOT KILL THAT BEAUTIFUL LITTLE GIRL...

But they are covering for the one who did. That's just as bad in my book.

They State does not need them to convict Casey.. I say for now.. until trial ..leave them alone in their pain.
I agree - I think we all need to ignore them. Cindy clearly feeds on the attention. However, we cannot avoid the fact that they play a very big part in this case.
IMO of course...
Me too.. :)

I just got back from vacation and watched my DVR so I'm all caught up on the A's depos. First of all, I would like to thank SearchforTruth for posting the link to Bill Schaeffer's analysis of CA's depo. Schaeffer said something that got to the heart of the matter for me. He said that a juror (I'm paraphrasing) would not be sympathetic to the A's if they come off in this manner because their loyalty is not to their dead granddaughter but to the more "sinister" need to protect the killer. I know I'm not saying it exactly but he got it perfectly. The fact that they came off so desperate, particularly CA, will lose them any credibility. She was utterly obnoxious.
You are very welcome, I thought he said it well too. I have even wondered about Kathi's last question, will the Anthony's behavior cause the jury to sympathize with Casey ? There have been times, I admit, that I have looked at Cindy and George and felt sorry for Casey. Would I allow that same sympathy to affect a decision regarding Caylee's murder, I don't think so...I hope the jurors don't either.

The best moment for me is when CA takes off her microphone and says she is not putting it back on. Screen fades to black and you next see her sitting there with it on. The transition is priceless.

I also got a kick out of I think 2 times that CA emphatically says something like "And that's the honest truth!" when she makes a point. I was SO wanting Morgan or whoever to say "Umm, Mrs. Anthony, everything you tell us here today is supposed to be the truth"..

Stupid question: couldn't this have been settled out of court? KC agree to make the statement that this particular Zenaida is NOT Zani and while not admitting blame, maybe doing some non-contest or whatever it would be called? And pay the $15k? (Like when companies don't admit they did wrong, but agree not to fight it.) Would that not have worked, or is JB just making another bad call?

I was startled by this, too. Anyone here know if these cell phone records did confirm that DC was on the phone with the psychic?

No.. George didn't seem to know anything about it either..It just may be another misstatement or mistruth..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288