2009.5.04 Change of Venue and tainting the Jury Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leila

Reaction score
According to the link below, the Casey Anthony defense team is planning on filing for a change of venue on Monday, May 4, 2009.

Usually, when a change of venue is requested it's to take the case to another jurisdiction in which the jury pool hasn't heard too much pre-trial publicity about the case.

It's my opinion that there's been so much publicity, not just in Orange County, but throughout the state of Florida and nationwide, that a change of venue won't find a jury pool that hasn't been exposed to detailed media reports of the case.

Do you think a change of venue is required for this case, and do you think the request will be granted?

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19358254/detail.html#-

HEE-HEE:
"But publicity alone does not require Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland to relocate the trial or decide to select jurors from another part of the state. Prosecutors could also oppose the motion."

I don't think a change of venue will do a dang bit of good.
But, let Baez do what Baez does best. :D

I don't think it is going to matter where this trial is held because of all of the publicity. No matter what county they go to, the result is going to be the same, most likely. It will be very interesting to see how the judge rules on this one.

I too, don't think its going to matter where her trial is.
No matter where she goes to trial, she will be found guilty.

If a change of venue is granted, it will cost the state a fortune! If moved out of central Florida to either northern or southern Florida, the state will have to pay transportation costs, and the cost of hotel accommodations for each witness that testifies.

A change of venue will also likely delay the trial, as the jurisdiction to which the trial is moved to will have to accommodate it into their trial schedule, which may already be full.

I think a change of venue will definitely be granted. Seems like too little too late though. I'm sure there are plenty of people even in Florida who haven't paid much attention to this case. Those people ARE out there.

Considering that JB himself opposed the gag order and has been hitting the talk shows himself, I think he has alot of nerve and should be told to stuff it.

Considering that JB himself opposed the gag order and has been hitting the talk shows himself, I think he has alot of nerve and should be told to stuff it.

:clap: Too funny! Yes...and IMO with internet and media in ALL areas of our lives...the days of requiring a juror to have heard nothing of any case is OVAH :)

It will be just as bad no matter where they go. Once the media finds out where they are being move to then they will follow. Can't get away far e-nuff. May as well stay there and shut up about it. His poor me---my poor client is really gittin old.

HEE-HEE:
"But publicity alone does not require Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland to relocate the trial or decide to select jurors from another part of the state. Prosecutors could also oppose the motion."

Agreed. And it also doesn't help when you're on HLN every night (Nancy Grace, Good Morning America, etc). It's a high profile case in San Diego -- where does he want to have this trial...on the moon? :)

OMG I just realized that. HE is one of the main reasons for the supposed need for the change of venue. The pros has kept their mouths shut - why can't he? He's feeding the problem not helping it.

Thanks for the wisdom!

If a change of venue is granted, it will cost the state a fortune! If moved out of central Florida to either northern or southern Florida, the state will have to pay transportation costs, and the cost of hotel accommodations for each witness that testifies.

A change of venue will also likely delay the trial, as the jurisdiction to which the trial is moved to will have to accommodate it into their trial schedule, which may already be full.

Wouldn't it be way easier and less expensive to just select a jury in another county or area of FL, and bus the jury in for the length of the trial? I assume this jury will be sequestered no matter where it's held, so the only out-of-area expenses would be when picking the jury.

Blaise

I think they will grant it. One less item to be used for an post-conviction appeal / re-trial...

I think a change of venue will definitely be granted. Seems like too little too late though. I'm sure there are plenty of people even in Florida who haven't paid much attention to this case. Those people ARE out there.

This is so true shgrbkr. I live in NW Florida and while most everyone here has heard of this case, most of the people I associate with or talk to know very few details! Local media doesn't cover this case at all anymore. The only reason I'm up to date on the details is because I'm a WS member, watch JVM and NG. I've found that most people who aren't obsessed with or have an interest in true crime stories really don't pay much attention to it. They're busy doing other things (like enjoying lfe - lol). My family and most of my friends think I'm a nut-job for following this case so closely! I am usually a total beach bum, but I sat on my fat butt in front of the t.v. and was on the puter the entire summer last year because of this whole saga. It's like a soap opera! Just when you think no more clowns could possibly step out of the clown car another pile of 'em unload!

I think a COV will be granted. Actually I'm prolly in the minority here, but I believe it should be moved out of Orlando. Yes, it will cost tax payers more, but if convicted couldn't KC claim later that she didn't get a fair trial because of the daily news coverage in the Orlando newspapers and broadcasts and file an appeal to have her conviction over turned for a new trial? Trying her a second time would be more costly. I'm just thinking out loud here -I'm barely even awake yet. My thoughts on this may change later when I wake up a bit!

I live in Orlando and I wondered from the get-go why he's not filed for a COV yet. It is about time.

Alachua County works for me!!! :D Just a trek up I75!

File on, big guy! I honestly think some people in Orlando may be so tired of hearing about the case it might actually benefit the defense. I hope they do move it somewhere that it's not as big in the news. I think if you could find 12 people that haven't heard about "31 days", that would seal the deal. Think about it, what was the FIRST thing that you heard that made you scratch your head and say "that ain't right"?? It was '31 days'. Move it, people that haven't heard it all a million times will suffer extreme shock when they hear it the first time.

Alachua County works for me!!! :D Just a trek up I75!

LOL! Alachua County is nice, but I'm pulling for Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa County or Walton county! :blowkiss: It won't happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305