2010.07.26 Grand Jury begins

How come Dede is the only one testifying to the GJ?

Couldn't others be testifying and using a different entrance and exit? I think this would be very true if LE testimony is involved.

Could DEEDEE be testifying about TH murder indictment? is that what a grand jury is about? Like a material witness? I just dont know to much about Grand Jurys

Or could it be about the MFH? Anyone know more details about how the Grand Jurys operate in Oregon?

is it coincindence that press conference tomorrow and dateline tonight?
could they bring in more people tomoroow to testify?

praying for Kyron

The comment about soliciting information is interesting. IMHO, this could turn out to be nothing more than a play by the prosecution to compel DS to tell what she knows or what they think she knows.

Because I think she's the only one who can testify to TH's demeanor when she saw her that day, and possibly to what went on when she went to meet her, possibly what happened to Kyron. No one else would be able to go in front of a Grand Jury and testify to that. No one else saw Terri that day and talked to her as she was driving out on country roads with the baby. I think her testimony, if truthful, is the going to be the nail in TH's coffin, especially if Dede is very angry about ever being involved in all of this.

no idea. unless the others already been there done that - through back entrances into the secrecy of the GJ courtroom. Others being, for example (and at least), Landscaper, Kaine, Desiree, Kyron's teacher, MC &/or a long line of investigators with buckets of evidence.

The comment about soliciting information is interesting. IMHO, this could turn out to be nothing more than a play by the prosecution to compel DS to tell what she knows or what they think she knows.

I don't think the Grand Jury is used to pressure people to talk. That would be a gross misuse of the justice system if so.

I don't think so...not with convening a Grand Jury..I just don't see any judge playing a part in that..it would be too partial.

Above BBM

According to the ABA:

Why are grand jury proceedings secret?

Rule 6(e) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure provide that the prosecutor, grand jurors, and the grand jury stenographer are prohibited from disclosing what happened before the grand jury, unless ordered to do so in a judicial proceeding. Secrecy was originally designed to protect the grand jurors from improper pressures. The modern justifications are to prevent the escape of people whose indictment may be contemplated, to ensure that the grand jury is free to deliberate without outside pressure, to prevent subornation of perjury or witness tampering prior to a subsequent trial, to encourage people with information about a crime to speak freely, and to protect the innocent accused from disclosure of the fact that he or she was under investigation.

However,

Why can a grand jury witness talk about his or her testimony?

In the federal courts, the witness is not sworn to secrecy, and may disclose whatever he or she wishes to whomever he or she wishes. The witness exemption was adopted in part because it was thought that requiring witness secrecy was unrealistic and unenforceable, and in part to allow the witness to rebut rumors concerning his or her testimony. There is a basic revulsion in the United States about secret testimony.

Is this a federal crime?

In this video:
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/DeDe-Spicher-testifies-before-grand-jury-99252004.html#kyron

The reporter asks if she was subpoenaed as part of a criminal investigation or just to solicit information. Her attny said that to his knowledge it was just to "solicit information."

IMO, that means DeDe is not being criminally investigated per se... but that she had information that LE wanted, but could only get from her via a grand jury. In other words, she wouldn't talk unless she was forced to.

Because I think she's the only one who can testify to TH's demeanor when she saw her that day, and possibly to what went on when she went to meet her, possibly what happened to Kyron. No one else would be able to go in front of a Grand Jury and testify to that. No one else saw Terri that day and talked to her as she was driving out on country roads with the baby. I think her testimony, if truthful, is the going to be the nail in TH's coffin, especially if Dede is very angry about ever being involved in all of this.

Would testimony about Terri's demeanor be enough, though? You've got DY, TY, KH, the secretary at the school, and LE for that, IMHO. Also, do we know for certain that DS saw Terri that day?

Can a legal eagle please put in layman's terms why a witness goes in front of a grand jury, what this could possibly mean, and what could happen next?

Would testimony about Terri's demeanor be enough, though? You've got DY, TY, KH, the secretary at the school, and LE for that, IMHO. Also, do we know for certain that DS saw Terri that day?

They could, but only Dede knows if she saw TH that day, and only Dede knows what happened when she saw TH that day if she saw her. I'm thinking the fact that they put her in front of a Grand Jury means it wasn't a fling, it wasn't a lunch get together, and it wasn't something innocent.

Is this a federal crime?

No; however, it is my understanding that a state grand jury uses the framework of the federal grand jury. The information provided was merely a frame of reference.

Grand Jury convened. Dateline (NBC) covering the Kyron Horman case tonight. LE holding press conference tomorrow. Is anyone else's anxiety meter running as high as mine? Remind self: No coffee or iced tea for the rest of the day :D

From what I'm reading on GJs and since nobody but Dede testified, it looks like that's what it is.

So if she has no info, then no arrests.

Original.jpg

She looks a little different there than the picture from the oregonian

Can a legal eagle please put in layman's terms why a witness goes in front of a grand jury, what this could possibly mean, and what could happen next?

My understanding is a GJ is called to see if the DA'S office has enought evidence to have a person arrested and chrage to go to trial. everything said before the GJ is sealed and no one can talk about what was said behind the closed doors. I forget how many people sit on the grand jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back