2010.09.14 New Defense Attorney, Ann E. Finnell, Introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Law & Disorder: Veteran attorney joins Casey Anthony defense team
Ann Finnell will focus on possible penalty phase.

Posted: September 14, 2010 - 11:57pm
By The Times-Union
Jacksonville lawyer Ann Finnell has joined the team defending Casey Anthony, charged in Orlando with murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee.

Finnell said she will be preparing the penalty phase of Anthony's trial, assuming Anthony is convicted of first-degree murder. There are now six lawyers representing Anthony in the high-profile trial.

"Hopefully it will never get to a penalty phase," Finnell said. "Hopefully Ms. Anthony is found not guilty and my role will be greatly diminished."

Finnell said she met the defendant this week.

more
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...ran-attorney-joins-casey-anthony-defense-team

Well, at least they are preparing for a guilty verdict or so it seems.

I wonder how ALyon feels about this attorney when Baez said, her experience is second to none....isn't this what Baez said about Lyon???? Yet, she jumped ship! JMHO

Justice for Caylee

If Cheney "foghorn leghorn" Mason were smart (and I don't think he is one bit) he would take this opportunity and jump ship.
For someone who allegedly has such a great "reputation", he single handedly destroyed all of it by taking this case, and making such ignorant comments in the process.

These people are a joke. They can add all the lawyers they want, but KC will be found guilty. And the great thing is, is she cannot claim ineffective counsel.

If Cheney "foghorn leghorn" Mason were smart (and I don't think he is one bit) he would take this opportunity and jump ship.
For someone who allegedly has such a great "reputation", he single handedly destroyed all of it by taking this case, and making such ignorant comments in the process.

These people are a joke. They can add all the lawyers they want, but KC will be found guilty. And the great thing is, is she cannot claim ineffective counsel.

Mason, I think is suffering from Old Timer's. He sure is NOT well versed in this case and he comes across to me as a tad bit senile.

As usual with the defense team... its more about what they AREN'T saying rather than what they do say.

So what the defense is ACTUALLY saying, is that with the addition of AF, Andrea Lyons is apparently NOT coming back after all, to assist with the penalty phase. Now how did KC say that? "Surprise Surprise".

AL was supposed to be the new wonder woman for the team when she joined and we seen how THAT panned out when she got a good taste of JB's act and the actual evidence (or lack thereof) depending on which side you are on. AL doesn't even want to come back and be associated with the penalty phase.. she's had more than enough of the good ship KC and it's assorted crew of sideshow attractions.

wild

This is actually a good point.

AL spent a LOT of time getting up to speed on this case and was going to throw her 'expertise' into saving ICA from the DP.

While it is understandable she step back at the moment, since her focus was on the penalty phase, the standard DP motions were filed and denied and, in theory a lot of work was done on penalty mitigation.

So ... you could see AL taking a break and keeping in touch or consulting remotely but, as you state, with the addition of AF it seems that AL has been officially and fully replaced.

Why?

All I know is that a big sigh of relief was heard in Orlando all the way from Chicago.

AL did clearly state in her seminars that sometimes the accused is beyond her help and you have to also know when to call it quits .. it seems AL called it quits. Totally. By the time this goes to trial her name will be a distant memory.

I personally think that CM will follow the lead of AL and use the delay in his other trial to 2011 as a clash that allows him to escape as well.

Oh MY! She is not impressed with the States case and she thinks there's a good chance Casey will be found not guilty.
Then why is she joining for the penalty phase?

You nailed it. Thanks.

She also said that ICA seems like a worthy client.
Yeah, I bet she's calculating how much ICA will be $worth$ to her...

As usual with the defense team... its more about what they AREN'T saying rather than what they do say.

So what the defense is ACTUALLY saying, is that with the addition of AF, Andrea Lyons is apparently NOT coming back after all, to assist with the penalty phase. Now how did KC say that? "Surprise Surprise".

AL was supposed to be the new wonder woman for the team when she joined and we seen how THAT panned out when she got a good taste of JB's act and the actual evidence (or lack thereof) depending on which side you are on. AL doesn't even want to come back and be associated with the penalty phase.. she's had more than enough of the good ship KC and it's assorted crew of sideshow attractions.

wild

Lyon filed a motion to withdraw 6/30/10: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/46724739/Casey-Anthony-Andrea-Lyon-motion-to-withdraw

That was coincidentally the last day to withdraw before a new law went into effect that would prohibit her from withdrawing: http://www.wesh.com/r/24442681/detail.html

I suppose I already do not like her for one reason in particular-She came on board and immediately started with the condescending stuff, as if we are all supposed to be good little boys and girls and not cross any of her boundaries-Listen, chica, your own partners and your client and her parents have put so much out there, let's not play coy and act as if it is we, the mob mentalists, that are invading KC's privacy. For God's sake, you are holding a press conference to announce your ascension, but you don't want any questions about things that frankly, have been out there for ages now...okay, okay, I know the attorneys are supposed to duck and dodge for KC's benefit, but her tone was too much for me-Gimme a break, they were all carrying on as if it was her coronation, jovial and joking...meanwhile, a sweet innocent was wrapped up like yesterday's trash and thrown in a swamp-Ex-ca-yoose us if we want to know your angle.

Lyon filed a motion to withdraw 6/30/10: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/46724739/Casey-Anthony-Andrea-Lyon-motion-to-withdraw

That was coincidentally the last day to withdraw before a new law went into effect that would prohibit her from withdrawing: http://www.wesh.com/r/24442681/detail.html

Thanks. Phew! She was excused by ICA just in time!

Wasn't AL using (borrowing?) her DePaul budget to cover her expenses and also student resources ... so it was also about an element of funds misuse, i.e., funds intended to help local cases not out of State high-profile notorious ones?

[She also used this case as a platform to promote her book, although I don't think she sold many copies.]

Wasn't AL using (borrowing?) her DePaul budget to cover her expenses and also student resources ... so it was also about an element of funds misuse, i.e., funds intended to help local cases not out of State high-profile notorious ones?

[She also used this case as a platform to promote her book, although I don't think she sold many copies.]

Yes, students working on the case, $60-70K in donated funds used, etc., it was discussed here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108138"]2010.06.30 Andrea Lyon is off the Dream Team! She quits! - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

FINNELL, MCGUINNESS & NEZAMI, P.A.

www.fmnlawyers.com

Ms. Finnell was featured in the 2002 Oscar-winning documentary “Murder on a Sunday Morning” along with Patrick T. McGuinness, a shareholder in the firm. The film documented the defense team successfully defending a young man against the false charge of murder.

http://www.fmnlawyers.com/Finnell,_McGuinness_&_Nezami,_P.A./Welcome.html

Respectfully snipped:

Won't she be busy assisting in her partner's cases, if he's convicted?

Top Jacksonville defense attorney charged with DUI

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...acksonville_defense_attorney_charged_with_dui

Case is still pending.

RE: Lyon(s) .. Talk about a close call! I had the same thought about her yesterday. We'll be like Lyon who?

Anyway..

Thanks all for the updates and your input regarding these new lawyers. I can't keep up with them, nor do I want to. I have all the time to click on the links and watch these bottom feeders "grandstand" (or act pathetic and desperate for attention) to the local media. I just can't do it...I would like to keep my breakfast down, thank you very much.

There was never any allegations by DePaul or anyone connected with the university that AL misused any of the funds entrusted to her. None of the funds she spend had been allocated for local use only, but were funds allocated for defending people who faced the death penality irregardless of local

To quote from there home page:
Founded in 2000, the Center for Justice in Capital Cases is a resource for capital defense attorneys nationwide. It provides training for attorneys appointed to defend individuals charged with a capital crime and serves as a training ground for students interested in working on capital cases. The Center's death penalty legal clinic gives students an opportunity to acquire outstanding real-world experience through such responsibilities as researching cases, locating and interviewing witnesses, and writing motions.

Is it me, or are they recruiting from the old and senile lawyer crowd? Not one young lawyer, just a bunch older ones who can't remember things or don't know things (no knock against elderly people here). I guess that's the only crowd who's still willing to sip the Koolaid and join in their defense debacle!!!!

And you're right, the first thing I thought when I saw Ann was that she was his sister or something!

Sorry but this post is a knock against everyone over the age of what 40?? There are some real idiots out there under 30 who don't even know what it is they don't know yet and won't for another decade, and the old senile folks like me in our 50's show great patience, almost never rolling our eyes at the magnitude of the ego of it.
The young pups aren't DP qualified I'm thinking, even if they think they are in their own minds. :) So the old senile folks have to step in to save the youthful baby killer .

I think Finnell joining the dream team is not an indication of her belief in Casey's innocence but more Casey being not "worthy" of death.

Gotta love Dr. Lennamon's newest post on his blog!

"Personally, I don't know Ann Finnell but I've heard lots of great things about her -- she's known to be a fighter, a true believer, and a very good death penalty attorney. As the first death-qualified attorney on the Casey Anthony case, I do know a bit about the representation that Ms. Finnell has just undertaken, however.

And, as I did before with Professor Andrea Lyon, I wish my colleague Ann Finnell all the best in this important work. "

Up here in Canada Ms. Finnell, we call this "FAIR WARNING". :croc:

Oh MY! She is not impressed with the States case and she thinks there's a good chance Casey will be found not guilty.
Then why is she joining for the penalty phase?

OH MY indeed! Where have we heard this kind of bold, newcomer statement before ... hmmm ... it was Cheney Mason when he first came on the case and spouted KC's innocence ... BEFORE he actually looked at any of the evidence and reviewed all of the mountains of evidence against her !! Finnell sounds overly confident for someone who's just joined the team and couldn't possibly be up to speed on the case and the evidence ... so far, I'm unimpressed

Also, JMO, any lawyers at this point signing on to the team and working pro bono are NOT doing so because they think it is a just cause or because KC is innocent or even because they think they have a good chance of winning ... Nope, IMO it's all about publicity and exposure that only a high profile case can offer ...
:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member