2010.10.08 - MISTY's St. Johns Co. FELONY SENTENCING @1:30PM (secret witness?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you reiterate a little more on that? What has he done or not done that ethics enters into the equation?

Eesh... I'm trying to do it right, without TO and without alerts. lol Um...Do you think Fields "did the best" he could in her defense at this current court hearing? I guess I'll start there. lol :) Maybe you can see what I'm getting at here with this??

I agree to a point and yet I disagree. RC has a previous record as long as your arm and she had none. RC was sentenced on more than one charge, after 3 other charges were dropped and his sentence is to be served concurrently on the remaining 2. MC was sentenced for one charge and got 10 more years than he did? Where's the justice in the minimum mandatory in Misty's case compared to RC? I believe that this just another step in their strategy to get MC to tell the absolute truth before they take her away for the rest of her life. I don't think she believed in her heart that they would give her 25 yrs. today. She's got all the classic heart scars for all of what she's lived in her 18 yrs. but, I don't think she was prepared for what she got. She's probably in shock tonight. I can only hope her attorney will try to advise her to do SOMETHING that could change this sentence. According to the panel on JVM tonight, that's a possibility.

Someone asked earlier in the thread why the change of heart toward Misty. IMO, when we met her at 17 yrs. old through this case, she was a minor that ended up married to Haleigh's father within weeks after Haleigh disappeared. This man (RC) did not have the normal demeanor of a father who has a child missing from 48 hours out commencing on Feb. 9th, 2009. He lawyered up very quickly and quit talking to LE. Got his tattoo and went on a NY honeymoon. Wherever you see him walking and Misty was with him, she was always behind him......following.....and she followed him all the way to jail. Maybe the shock of what she received today will give her pause to see the reality of what the truth could mean to both her and Haleigh. There's no doubt in my mind now that she walked into this mess and was left to clean it up. This is end result.

Oh, I agree with everything you are saying. I do not believe what Misty has been convicted of deserves a 25-year sentence. But that was her minimum, and 15 years was Ron's minimum...he got a total of 33 years for his three remaining charges.

Donna was on the same drug deal with Misty so Donna's minimum was also 25 years, but she got her charge reduced in a plea deal, and she was sentenced to 15 years (her minimum mandatory) by the same judge that sentenced Misty today. Misty was told she could get her charges reduced or dropped if she told LE what they needed to know; she didn't tell them--either because she doesn't want to tell the truth or because she does not know the truth. But the fact of the matter is, Misty was not offered a plea deal because LE believes she knows more than she has told.

IMO, Misty qualified for YO status, but the judge did not agree. That is the judge's discretion and of course it is not my call, though it looks to me like Misty was actually sentenced for Haleigh's disappearance today rather than the drug charge. But that's just my opinion, which I am entitled to just as the judge is entitled to hers. I don't like it at all, but I made my statement about fair sentencing in response to a post about how the sentencing was skewed between Ron and Misty---and it wasn't. Ron getting a plea deal and Misty not getting one is what was skewed, IMO.

I hoped to see Misty considered for YO status but sentenced to maybe 10-12 years, not a mere 6! But 25 years is outrageous for the crime Misty was convicted of, IMO. Still, I am not the least bit surprised at the sentence.

Once again, a group of posters has chosen to ignore the whole scenario and just sound bite the portion that pads their agenda. MISTY is the one that did the "oh poor me...I'm here because of Haleigh" thing. The judge just set her straight: Nope, Misty, THEY are here because of Haleigh. YOU are here because you sold drugs. He was not blaming her for anything regarding Haleigh. Quite the contrary. He was telling her this trial had nothing to do with Haleigh.

I agree with lonetraveler. I thought it was a hearing, not a trial. With so many having time and labor invested in this case, I believe LE is having a very difficult time separating the line between Haleigh missing and the drug issues that surround it.

Oh, I agree with everything you are saying. I do not believe what Misty has been convicted of deserves a 25-year sentence. But that was her minimum, and 15 years was Ron's minimum...he got a total of 33 years for his three remaining charges.

Donna was on the same drug deal with Misty so Donna's minimum was also 25 years, but she got her charge reduced in a plea deal, and she was sentenced to 15 years (her minimum mandatory) by the same judge that sentenced Misty today. Misty was told she could get her charges reduced or dropped if she told LE what they needed to know; she didn't tell them--either because she doesn't want to tell the truth or because she does not know the truth. But the fact of the matter is, Misty was not offered a plea deal because LE believes she knows more than she has told.

IMO, Misty qualified for YO status, but the judge did not agree. That is the judge's discretion and of course it is not my call, though it looks to me like Misty was actually sentenced for Haleigh's disappearance today rather than the drug charge. But that's just my opinion, which I am entitled to just as the judge is entitled to hers. I don't like it at all, but I made my statement about fair sentencing in response to a post about how the sentencing was skewed between Ron and Misty---and it wasn't. Ron getting a plea deal and Misty not getting one is what was skewed, IMO.

I hoped to see Misty considered for YO status but sentenced to maybe 10-12 years, not a mere 6! But 25 years is outrageous for the crime Misty was convicted of, IMO. Still, I am not the least bit surprised at the sentence.

Ditto, ditto, ditto... anddddd... ditto. lol

I agree with lonetraveler. I thought it was a hearing, not a trial. With so many having time and labor invested in this case, I believe LE is having a very difficult time separating the line between Haleigh missing and the drug issues that surround it.

BBM. Yup. I agree. Maybe, just MAYBE, give it some time and they'll talk? I don't believe so, but I hope so. Everyone is going down with the ship.

MISTY is the one that did the "oh poor me...I'm here because of Haleigh" thing. The judge just set her straight: Nope, Misty, THEY are here because of Haleigh. YOU are here because you sold drugs. He was not blaming her for anything regarding Haleigh. Quite the contrary. He was telling her this trial had nothing to do with Haleigh.

Misty was actually fighting for her life today. It was time for the "poor me" stuff to happen. If not during your sentence, then when would it be appropriate?? Yes, IMO, the whole five of them were part of a sting for drug dealing mainly due to an unsolved Haleigh case. Yes, they were dealing drugs and yes they needed to be arrested, charged and sentenced, based upon the actual charges of dealing drugs. The judge made it very clear that as far as the judge was concerned Haleigh was indeed a factor. The judge pointed that out. Misty up to this point has not been named a POI, suspect, nor has she been charged with a crime other than dealing drugs. Another unsolved case should never have entered into the sentencing. The sentence was appropriate for a murderer, however she wasn't charged with murder. The SA needs to arrest the person who is responsible for the death of Haleigh Cummings, period. I don't care if it will be an embarrassment for LE or not, they need to do the right thing.

I agree to a point and yet I disagree. RC has a previous record as long as your arm and she had none. RC was sentenced on more than one charge, after 3 other charges were dropped and his sentence is to be served concurrently on the remaining 2. MC was sentenced for one charge and got 10 more years than he did? Where's the justice in the minimum mandatory in Misty's case compared to RC? I believe that this just another step in their strategy to get MC to tell the absolute truth before they take her away for the rest of her life. I don't think she believed in her heart that they would give her 25 yrs. today. She's got all the classic heart scars for all of what she's lived in her 18 yrs. but, I don't think she was prepared for what she got. She's probably in shock tonight. I can only hope her attorney will try to advise her to do SOMETHING that could change this sentence. According to the panel on JVM tonight, that's a possibility.

Someone asked earlier in the thread why the change of heart toward Misty. IMO, when we met her at 17 yrs. old through this case, she was a minor that ended up married to Haleigh's father within weeks after Haleigh disappeared. This man (RC) did not have the normal demeanor of a father who has a child missing from 48 hours out commencing on Feb. 9th, 2009. He lawyered up very quickly and quit talking to LE. Got his tattoo and went on a NY honeymoon. Wherever you see him walking and Misty was with him, she was always behind him......following.....and she followed him all the way to jail. Maybe the shock of what she received today will give her pause to see the reality of what the truth could mean to both her and Haleigh. There's no doubt in my mind now that she walked into this mess and was left to clean it up. This is the end result.

How many actual convictions did Ron have before these current charges? Were they felonies or misdemeanors?

I think to fairly compare the two cases we will have to see what the other Judge gives her for the multiple charges which exceeds Ron Cummings.

The difference is Misty did not enter into a plea deal and agree to testify against anyone who may have harmed Haleigh. I highly doubt the DA even pondered such a thing. Imo, all along they have suspected Misty so of course they would not offer any plea deal to her or Tommy who may have assisted her after Haleigh was killed.

Evidently this Judge today also took into consideration that Misty had been arrested on other multiple drug trafficking charges which she had already plead no lo. I know the Judge mentioned that Hope had been arrest 3 weeks before she was arrested again on her current drug charge.

I use to think Misty was the key witness to what happened to Haleigh. I no longer feel that way and today reinforces my current belief. I believe now that LE has always suspected that Misty is the KEY suspect but just don't have enough evidence to prove it BARD.

I am glad that Judge Berger didn't fall for Misty's 'poor pitiful me' spiel. She still blames someone else and nothing is ever her fault. She even had the audacity to blame Haleigh's case on her own wrongdoings. I guess she forgot they have all those videos showing her as the main ring leader and the go to person in the drug trafficking.

While I do wish that Judges didn't have to go by mandatory minimums in every case, I have no sympathy for Misty Croslin because she got 25 years today. The kingpin always does more time.

She had me fooled for quite awhile with her fake persona of being the little downtrodden weak woman until I saw how comfortable she was when she was doing her drug deals.

She would only protect one person and that one person is Misty, imo

IMO

Yep! You would think that if a deal was to be made it would have been made to "THE KEY". Yep, 'THE KEY", you know, the one who is suppose to really know what happened? Instead, the ONLY deal was made to the very one who I suspect killed his very own daughter. Imagine that! If LE thinks that they are going to receive a red feather in their caps over this huge victory, they need to rethink themselves.

Misty was actually fighting for her life today. It was time for the "poor me" stuff to happen. If not during your sentence, then when would it be appropriate?? Yes, IMO, the whole five of them were part of a sting for drug dealing mainly due to an unsolved Haleigh case. Yes, they were dealing drugs and yes they needed to be arrested, charged and sentenced, based upon the actual charges of dealing drugs. The judge made it very clear that as far as the judge was concerned Haleigh was indeed a factor. The judge pointed that out. Misty up to this point has not been named a POI, suspect, nor has she been charged with a crime other than dealing drugs. Another unsolved case should never have entered into the sentencing. The sentence was appropriate for a murderer, however she wasn't charged with murder. The SA needs to arrest the person who is responsible for the death of Haleigh Cummings, period. I don't care if it will be an embarrassment for LE or not, they need to do the right thing.
Again, she is the one that brought up Haleigh. She claimed to be there because of Haleigh. She was not there because of Haleigh. She was there because she sold drugs. She was sentenced because she sold drugs. And the only thing the judge pointed out was that no, she was not there because of Haleigh. How in the world does that imply she is being sentenced because of Haleigh? And, as has been pointed out previously, this sentence was the minimum...minimum...for the charges.

Because she is so young, and she obviosuly never stood a chance. She would have faired better had she been raised by wolves.

My heart breaks for her.

It's a sad day in America when a child RAPISTS and MURDERERS get less time than she did today!

And we are paying tax dollars for people to teach these kind of kids and the teachers don't give a rat's butt about them. wow just wow. I agree with your post.

Again, she is the one that brought up Haleigh. She claimed to be there because of Haleigh. She was not there because of Haleigh. She was there because she sold drugs. She was sentenced because she sold drugs. And the only thing the judge pointed out was that no, she was not there because of Haleigh. How in the world does that imply she is being sentenced because of Haleigh? And, as has been pointed out previously, this sentence was the minimum...minimum...for the charges.

You are definitely entitled to your interpretation of what happened today in court, so am I. If you think that Haleigh's case had absolutely nothing to do with the drug sting or the sentence today, then feel free. I don't agree at all, but then that's my right too.

Yes... why "no contest." Why the sad display of her defense today? Why such a high sentence for a first offender? Minimum? Didn't I read that they were going to appeal? Yeah, I did. And then I read no chance for appeal. What's correct? Why? Why is everything in PC not black/white... cut/dry? Yes, after today, it's clear to me that Misty is the KEY suspect. Why? I dunno.

You are definitely entitled to your interpretation of what happened today in court, so am I. If you think that Haleigh's case had absolutely nothing to do with the drug sting or the sentence today, then feel free. I don't agree at all, but then that's my right too.

The drug sting would not have happened without the Haleigh case, that is a given.

In my opinion they thought one of these guys would flip would give them what they need for the Haleigh case when they realized how much time they were facing.

Today's sentences were determined by statutes that existed long before Haleigh disappeared, but they are completely intertwined. I don't think you can deny that on any level.

Doesn't change the fact that she is guilty of dealing narcotics and was sentenced accordingly under the laws of her state.

And a good attorney could of came back at that statement and added that Misty had been trained well by the matermind..IMO...RC. That is how she knew all these people. I wonder what Fields did say? :no:

THANK YOU for your input. Misty could not buy a good attorney; not trying to be mean, but I'm not so sure she could SPELL 'attorney'- I have read her 'writing samples; as an English teacher, I feel she writes on maybe a 3rd grade level...
So, in my opinion, to the court she's just another piece of 'poor white trash' who does not deserve the 'special consideration' given to young people of $$$ means.

IMO, this was absolutely the wrong time for the 'poor me' stuff. Sure, get your mama to take the stand and tell what a terrible mother she was and how badly you were treated, but to sit in court and tell a judge you are not a drug dealer when you have been caught on tape dealing drugs numerous times is not going to help your case, not to mention her blaise attitude about the whole thing. I deal drugs because I am poor and that is what poor people do, but I'm not a drug dealer.

I'm a mom. My kids are not perfect. There have been many instances where my kids have done something wrong. In dealing with them, and their 'punishment', the #1 factor for me was their attitude about what they had done. They got into a lot less trouble if they admitted what they did and exhibited an understanding they did wrong than if they lied to me, argued with me, and showed no inclination to not do it again.

Because of what Misty said in court today, had I been the judge, though it would have pained me dearly, I would not have considered her for the YO status, and I would have sentenced her to the 25 years, also. It would have had not one thing to do with Haleigh. The BBM above, it has been reported the judge told Misty she was NOT there because of Haleigh, she was there because of drugs, after Misty and her attorney both played the Haleigh card as the reason Misty was arrested for dealing drugs.

I am looking for a link or source. I think Tn has said that Misty will never tell what happened to Haleigh. Does anyone remember seeing that somewhere? And where? Thanks in Advance.

Yes... why "no contest." Why the sad display of her defense today? Why such a high sentence for a first offender? Minimum? Didn't I read that they were going to appeal? Yeah, I did. And then I read no chance for appeal. What's correct? Why? Why is everything in PC not black/white... cut/dry? Yes, after today, it's clear to me that Misty is the KEY suspect. Why? I dunno.

no contest= most likely way to get the minimum

going to trial with the evidence against her and no viable defense= could be more than the minimum

high sentence for first time offender- statute she was charged with carries a minimum mandatory, there is no lesser sentence, only harsher sentences are at the judge's discretion

she can file an appeal, she will file an appeal, anyone can.... it won't be successful just like Tommy's wasn't

if someone suddenly becomes clear on what happened that night and wants to try to negotiate a new deal with the state they can always ask

I hate asking this, but a new thread wasn't started after the trial information was released and I'm sooooooooo tired and not wanting to wade through posts!

Is there a page where I should start? And who was the "surprise witness"??? TIA!

The drug sting would not have happened without the Haleigh case, that is a given.

In my opinion they thought one of these guys would flip would give them what they need for the Haleigh case when they realized how much time they were facing.

Today's sentences were determined by statutes that existed long before Haleigh disappeared, but they are completely intertwined. I don't think you can deny that on any level.

Doesn't change the fact that she is guilty of dealing narcotics and was sentenced accordingly under the laws of her state.

I agree with your post, and it's what I've been trying to say. I guess that means I'm a true Aquarian: I see both sides, understand both sides, and that's how it rolls. I think LE fully expected one of them to squeal by now and it didn't happen so they pull the drug charges, make them sit on long FL law sentences, and wait. They are in no hurry, but I do hope (really hope) that HaLeigh wasn't forgotten and they will still keep her in their hearts and close the case. My hope is really, REALLY, leaving, tho.... :(

FWIW,

What I've gathered from news reports is that Misty's attorney, Fields himself, was arguing that Misty was targeted for the drug sting because of Haleigh. That was interesting for me to learn - that Misty's statements to the judge may have been parroting Mr. Field's strategy.

Perhaps Mr. Fields needs a new strategy.

Misty has 6th grade education. I think she's doing well if she is taking her attorney's advice and following his lead at her sentencing hearings.

As much as I am concerned Misty is lacking in contrition, I am a little wary of buying into the idea that 18 year old Misty herself is driving the actual defense strategy in the courtroom at her hearing(s).

gibby, I'm hearing ya at the moment. IMO, we must wait for court transcripts, but if we work with the reporting we have so far on what happened in court to day, this was a weak performance by Mr. Fields. :cow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88