2010.12.17 File Turned Over to D.A.

From the warrants we have seen several pages are repeat info. I hope that some of what they have to go through are too. I read somewhere yesterday that when all the papers were turned in there would be over 30,000 pages in all. Ill look for a link after ive had my coffee. What happened to this poor baby to need that much documentation? I think were in for a long bumpy road! JMO

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13942017

Q – this seems a massive amount of material for the DA's office to review. And I presume they need to review it all comprehensively in order to prepare the prosecution side in a fair trial. Does the Police Dept provide staff familiar with the case files to assist the DA's office with research? Or does the DA's office have to read each and every piece of material afresh? If the latter, it will take months!

I would imagine for a case of this magnitude, the DA would have several ADA's assisting. As you say, the file itself is voluminous and would be difficult for any one person to acquaint themselves with each and every document, statement, etc.

Zahra investigative file contains 30,000 pages, 117 DVDs

The file is "probably the largest I can remember," said Hickory Police Major Clyde Deal. The file details everything that local investigators found, tested, and sent off. There are 117 DVD's with recorded interviews, some involving stepmother Elisa baker and Zahra's father Adam.

There are also 65 cd's with maps, photographs and other documents. In addition to all that is a cd with 11 thousand pages of information. The District Attorney's Office says it is still waiting for the file from the State Bureau of Investigations.

Many of the interviews will have to be transcribed, and everything else will have to be printed. Officials say it could bring the total page count to 30,000. The state is being asked to help in the matter and the files may be taken to Raleigh to be uploaded into a state server and printed.

I am now hopeful that this will begin the first steps in bringing those who are responsible in front of a jury trial. It seems so long since we have had any new hope on this case and I am thinking it won't be long before all of the Pending info from the autopsy will be in and that info will be the last needed to go to the GJ. Question: if the pending info or the SBI info points clearly to a specific subject(s), would a GJ be required? At what point do they have to go before a GJ?

Zahra investigative file contains 30,000 pages, 117 DVDs
The file is "probably the largest I can remember," said Hickory Police Major Clyde Deal. The file details everything that local investigators found, tested, and sent off. There are 117 DVD's with recorded interviews, some involving stepmother Elisa baker and Zahra's father Adam.

There are also 65 cd's with maps, photographs and other documents. In addition to all that is a cd with 11 thousand pages of information. The District Attorney's Office says it is still waiting for the file from the State Bureau of Investigations.

Many of the interviews will have to be transcribed, and everything else will have to be printed. Officials say it could bring the total page count to 30,000. The state is being asked to help in the matter and the files may be taken to Raleigh to be uploaded into a state server and printed.

A minimum of 41,000 pages (not including the transcribed dvd interviews - i would assume). At 1 minute per page of reading on 30,000 that would be 500 hours of reading. One minute per page on 41,000 pages would 683.33 hours of reading. That would translate to 12.5 to 17 weeks of work at 40 hours per week for someone just to read the pages that were released. Let alone watching 117 dvd's and reviewing 64 more cd's of maps and documents. I think this amout of evidence is up to the amount in the Caylee Anthony case. IOW we had the sunshine laws in NC.

Q -Sunshine laws? Do you mean that all the evidence pre-trial would be available under the Freedom of Information Act to the public? Can that happen in the USA? If it was, then surely a fair trial could not be held as it would be impossible to get an impartial jury. Shouldn't they be expected to make their judgement based on the evidence as presented by the prosecutor and defense in the controlled vacuum of the courtroom, not on the evidence as emotionally interpreted by bloggers, media, and people on the street?

Q -Sunshine laws? Do you mean that all the evidence pre-trial would be available under the Freedom of Information Act to the public? Can that happen in the USA? If it was, then surely a fair trial could not be held as it would be impossible to get an impartial jury. Shouldn't they be expected to make their judgement based on the evidence as presented by the prosecutor and defense in the controlled vacuum of the courtroom, not on the evidence as emotionally interpreted by bloggers, media, and people on the street?

Florida has Sunshine Laws. Apparently it is legal, and Casey Anthony, about to go on trial for killing her daughter Caylee, will get a fair trial. Not everything is shown - for example, the autopsy photos are being sealed until trial. We talk about it a lot in the Caylee forum, but there are people that don't really know the case that well. The defense tries to complain it's unfair when they are the ones constantly in the media themselves. The Sunshine Laws don't mean that everyone knows everything, just that the case is there for anyone to look at if they want to, and this is after the media requests the documents in the first place once those documents have been shared by the defense or prosecution in discovery. Without the media requesting the documents, the public doesn't get to see them. In fact, if the prosecutor or defense doesn't request the documents in discovery, the public doesn't see it either. There are several depositions in Casey's case that we haven't seen yet because neither the prosecution or defense has requested them in discovery, so the media can't get its hands on it, and therefore the public doesn't get to see these depositions, but we know they've taken place.

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing. A lot of states don't have Sunshine laws, and it can be frustrating when you've been exposed to Sunshine Laws. It makes you very impatient and wanting information NOW, believe me, I know, lol.

Florida has Sunshine Laws. Apparently it is legal, and Casey Anthony, about to go on trial for killing her daughter Caylee, will get a fair trial. Not everything is shown - for example, the autopsy photos are being sealed until trial. We talk about it a lot in the Caylee forum, but there are people that don't really know the case that well. The defense tries to complain it's unfair when they are the ones constantly in the media themselves. The Sunshine Laws don't mean that everyone knows everything, just that the case is there for anyone to look at if they want to, and this is after the media requests the documents in the first place once those documents have been shared by the defense or prosecution in discovery. Without the media requesting the documents, the public doesn't get to see them. In fact, if the prosecutor or defense doesn't request the documents in discovery, the public doesn't see it either. There are several depositions in Casey's case that we haven't seen yet because neither the prosecution or defense has requested them in discovery, so the media can't get its hands on it, and therefore the public doesn't get to see these depositions, but we know they've taken place.

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing. A lot of states don't have Sunshine laws, and it can be frustrating when you've been exposed to Sunshine Laws. It makes you very impatient and wanting information NOW, believe me, I know, lol.

Aedrys thank you for yours above, and Flakes, as for your words RBBM above, yes it can and does happen in the US of A, and it does not at all preclude impartial juries, and those juries make judgments that stand. Jurors in states with and without Sunshine laws are in fact expected to make their judgments based on the evidence presented by prosecution and defense teams. No courtroom in this nation is, or has ever been, a "controlled vacuum."

Aedrys thank you for yours above, and Flakes, as for your words RBBM above, yes it can and does happen in the US of A, and it does not at all preclude impartial juries, and those juries make judgments that stand. Jurors in states with and without Sunshine laws are in fact expected to make their judgments based on the evidence presented by prosecution and defense teams. No courtroom in this nation is, or has ever been, a "controlled vacuum."

Wow. Thanks ynotdivein and Aedrys for the explanations. The legal/media/access to information in the USA is certainly quite different to that in Australia. As I've posted in a certain NG thread, to reveal key information regarding a case in Australia is considered to place you In Contempt of Court. This particularly applies to reporting in the media. I'll try and explain the Australian system for anyone who's interested. It will explain how bewildered I am by the extent of information coming out in the Zahra Baker case, and why I ask so many questions. My comments may also serve to illustrate how alien the legal system will appear to AB. Fact is, he's required to co-operate and accept the US legal system, so I guess he's getting accustomed to it pretty fast!

The charge of being In Contempt is designed to prevent interference with the "proper course of justice". It's considered that reporting of critical information relating to the persons involved (perpetrator/victim/witnesses) or events, etc, may prejudice the judge, magistrate or jury against the defendant. eg. the divulging of previous convictions – this would be seen to reduce the chance of a fair trial. Such information is publicly released once the verdict has been reached.

For journalists there are five main risks for committing a criminal Contempt:

* Publishing matter likely to prejudice a fair trial
From the time somebody is arrested, charged or a warrant is issued, up to the moment when the court finishes dealing with it, the case is said to be sub judice. This is a Latin phrase meaning "under judgment". While a case is sub judice, you're strictly limited as to what you can report. eg. publishing details of a defendant's previous convictions; broadcasting details of background of the case. You may only give details of what's happening officially within the legal process. In practice this means only information which is part of a charge or details which are part of actual court proceedings.
* Interfering with the course of justice
This applies to interviews with witnesses, for instance. As soon as a person has been arrested or charged in connection with the crime, no potential witness should be approached for an interview. The reason for this is that witnesses may later change their evidence in court to fit in with what they have told reporters.
* Scandalising the court
Anything reported which is likely to lower the authority of the court or bring it into public derision and contempt may be held to scandalise the court. You may discuss the issue, but you may not attack the person eg. you may criticise a judgment on the grounds it is inconsistent with other judgments; or that it's out of touch with the public mood regarding the crime; however you may not claim that a judge deliberately made an unjust decision, that he was biased, drunk, or incapable of carrying out his/her job.
* Refusing to name a source of information
Individuals such as priests, lawyers and doctors are considered to have professional ethics which prevent them from revealing information gained in confidence, but the law does not recognise that journalists have a similar professional demand.
* Photography or electronic recording within the court precincts
Journalists are prohibited from taking photos or making sound recordings in the precincts of the court without special permission. Such recordings cannot be published or broadcast. The reason usually given is such practices will be likely to encourage witnesses and defendants to perform for the media rather than to concentrate on the real business at hand. Some courts allow recording of the judge's delivery of judgement. Hand sketches of court are permitted in the place of photographs. It's also not legal to publish a photograph of a person who's suspected of a crime if visual identification is likely to be critical to the trial.

Prue Innes, Courts Information Officer at the Victorian Supreme Court, wrote this list of things journalists should avoid in covering court proceedings:
* Revealing prior convictions
* Reports which imply guilt or innocence of the accused
* Reports including interviews which could affect witnesses
* Comments, as distinct from reports of the court case
* Reporting alleged confessions
* Pictures of the accused where identity is an issue
* Reporting evidence etc in the absence of the jury
* Any contact with jurors.

The above is my précis of information available at:
http://www.thenewsmanual.net/Resources/medialaw_in_australia_03.html

In Australia the notion of Contempt of Court is clearly understood. It's about having utmost respect and faith in our legal system and the courts – this notion is based on the English model. The idea of Sunshine laws, which I had never heard of prior to now, and the extent to which material appears to be available to the public and media in the USA, is quite astonishing to me. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different. Given the system under which I have lived all my life, I admit that I can't help but wonder how a fair trial can be held if jury members may have been exposed to highly prejudicial and subjective material presented by the media (again I can't help but think of NG). Yet somehow both systems clearly function within the social, cultural and political systems. Both have functioned for considerable time, with dedicated and expert minds streamlining the systems to achieve the best possible outcome. I can only imagine how astounded Americans would be about a trial held in Australia! ;)

<snipped>

In Australia the notion of Contempt of Court is clearly understood. It's about having utmost respect and faith in our legal system and the courts – this notion is based on the English model. The idea of Sunshine laws, which I had never heard of prior to now, and the extent to which material appears to be available to the public and media in the USA, is quite astonishing to me. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different. Given the system under which I have lived all my life, I admit that I can't help but wonder how a fair trial can be held if jury members may have been exposed to highly prejudicial and subjective material presented by the media (again I can't help but think of NG). Yet somehow both systems clearly function within the social, cultural and political systems. Both have functioned for considerable time, with dedicated and expert minds streamlining the systems to achieve the best possible outcome. I can only imagine how astounded Americans would be about a trial held in Australia! ;)

BBM

Flakes, I think one needs to keep in mind that there are millions more people who do not watch shows such as NG than there are those who do watch. As to Sunshine Laws - the same would be true, most people are too enclosed in their own lives to the point of never taking the time to ever really follow the justice system let alone sit down and request information and pay the costs.

As to juries - Voir Dire is a process by which those that have been overly exposed or are prone to bias towards a case can be eliminated from sitting on a jury in any case to be heard by a jury. Does it always work, probably not but for the most part it appears to do so. I like our court systems being so open and accessible to the public. Law should be for the people and by the people, not hidden from view or public scrutiny. Public access and scrutiny tends to minimize unfairness that can arise out of bias on the part of those within the justice system itself.

Flakes, I bet one of the questions, during Voir Dire, to potential jurors will be, have you been on any websites discussing this case? If so, have you responded with any opinions and what is your screen name?

Flakes, thank you and wow for that very thorough overview! I find the differences fascinating. If you have a moment to check in on some of the Caylee Anthony threads you will likely be flabbergasted at the amount and type of information that has been made public.

I found this site informative and thought others might too:

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/State_sunshine_laws

Does the DA's office have any time restrictions to prepare a case before it's expected to make a case to the Grand Jury? If so, is there an extension to this when additional information is coming, as in FBI and SBI?

Thanks all for the previous explanations re Sunshine Laws. They were very beneficial :) This difference in access to information explains why the two cases of Australian girls Zahra Baker and Kiesha Abrahams have been dealt with so differently here on WS. Zahra's case has extensive availability of information from the investigation which provides enormous fodder for sleuthers; while little Keisha is missing in Australia with only a minute amount of information available. After 6 months she's now presumed dead, as no-one knows a thing about what happened to her. Behind the scenes of the investigation there would be no difference, however in the public world of sleuthing it certainly does!

I just pray the DA handles this case better than he has some others here in NC.

jmho

Elisa Baker was indicted last month on a bigamy charge involving her marriage to Zahra Baker's father, Adam, and another man, but AP found documents at half a dozen county courthouses that showed at one point she was married to three men at the same time, calling into question the single charge.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/AP-Exclusive-Zahras-stepmother-married-7-times-115178114.html

Wondering if these new bigamy charges are about gaining the DA more time to align the prosecutorial ducks on Zahra related charges, as it were.

http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/gaither-starts-justice-walk-zahra

"When will charges be filed in the death of Zahra Baker? That&#8217;s the question that has been asked since the 10-year-old girl&#8217;s death was confirmed in mid-November and one that continues to be posed now, four months after she was first reported missing.
The decision to pursue charges is up to 25th Prosecutorial District Attorney Jay Gaither. The DA&#8217;s Office received the prosecution summary from Hickory Police Department in December, and the case file was turned over to Gaither&#8217;s office Jan. 26.
&#8220;We are awaiting their decision when they would like for us to appear before a grand jury,&#8221; HPD Maj. Clyde Deal said. &#8220;The meat of what they need is with them.&#8221;
The case file certainly is a meaty one. It exceeds more than 11,000 pages and includes 117 DVDs and another 65 CDs with photos, maps, data and evidence related to the case. That does not include reports and files from State Bureau of Investigation agents working the case. That information will be sent to the DA&#8217;s Office from the SBI.
There are other materials that HPD will have to produce for a trial, if the case ever reaches that stage.
Gaither said last week that he and his assistants need to go through the file to determine what charges, if any, should warrant an indictment in the case. :

BBM 1

All I can say is thank goodness, they have the "meat" of what they need. I am assuming that the DA did have some information before this and has reviewed a fair amount of info already.

BBM 2

That statement really bugs me, a sweet little angel dismembered and discarded like trash, and he says

" that he and his assistants need to go through the file to determine what charges, if any, should warrant an indictment in the case."

I have not lost the faith that Justice will be served for Zahra, it just gets so discouraging at times.

Thank you dar for posting the article. This statement by HPD Maj. Clyde Deal gives me hope.

Deal said investigators feel good about the work they have put into the case, which started as a report of Zahra&#8217;s disappearance Oct. 9.
&#8220;We&#8217;ve done as good a job with it as anyone could do considering the set of circumstances we&#8217;ve been dealing with,&#8221; he said. &#8220;We feel like an indictment will come. We just don&#8217;t know when.&#8221;

I like those words: "We feel like an indictment will come."

I'm glad it's been turned over to the DA, it means there will be justice for precious Zahra. I have no doubt that there will be an indictment and maybe two.
I hope there are no plea deals, these people do not deserve to breathe air.
Rest in peace, sweet girl.

My major question at this point is: Has the DA not talked to LE about the case? Surely Le has a say in what they have uncovered, what the evidence points to? This DA scares me.

to determine what charges, if any...

That BETTER be just a figure of speech!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow