2011.01.18.: "Briefcase" found that *may* contain evidence in Zahra Baker case

The OP article continues to be edited.

This change is of note, suggesting, perhaps, that the bag is not connected to the case (depending on how long a time "a long time" is):

authorities tell us it appears it had been in the woods for a long time

Also, the wording is odd on these - it was found across the road from the prosthetic leg, but not in area that was searched? However, it does say deep in the woods, so I guess it was technically across the road, but yards in the woods away from the road.

The briefcase was found deep in the woods beyond the area that was previously searched by investigators in November.

It was across the road from where Zahra's prosthetic leg and bone were found last fall, and about a hundred yards from a concrete memorial marker put up by the owner of the land.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13862219

So, I do wonder why chuck the leg where it can be found, but take the time to carry the bag into the woods?

If this is related to Zahra that it might point fingers to others that may have been involved. EB takes items and discards somewhere and someone else discards other items in a different manner/area

EB/AB not the brightest crayon in the box if you ask me..............
hope this bag of stuff nails them!!!

Just continuing to ponder why hide the bag but not the leg - the effort to pass the murder off as abduction. The leg could have been discarded by the "Random Stranger Abductors," while the blanket (or whatever) could have been easily traced to their house, somehow... Though the abductors could have also taken it from their house, they could have claimed. So, it could have linked it to a another house, maybe... Or someone else might have discarded it, as Myzzy suggests.

If not a blanket, might have been EB's or AB's clothes, bloodied, which would have ruined the "Random Stranger Abduction" story.

Or it could be not connected to the case at all. :sigh:

Tim Bristol is one of the loggers who was working in the area when the briefcase was found. He said the case appeared to be brand new and they suspected right away it might be related to the death of Zahra Baker.

“We thought it probably had something to do with this case, you know,” he explained. “I think it’s tragic and if we can find something to help, I hope we did it.”

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Loggers-find-items-related-to-Zahra-Baker-case-114150349.html

Does "brand new" mesh with reports that it had been in the woods "a long time"? Or brand new meaning it was purchased for this purpose and unused otherwise, though not so brand new since it had been sitting out in the woods...?

ok im confused AGAIN lol. Was it the prostetic leg and bone found or was it the gel liner? I thought EB said the leg itself was discarded in a dumpster. Ill have to go look exactly where I think it was in one of the warrants.

Just continuing to ponder why hide the bag but not the leg - the effort to pass the murder off as abduction. The leg could have been discarded by the "Random Stranger Abductors," while the blanket (or whatever) could have been easily traced to their house, somehow... Though the abductors could have also taken it from their house, they could have claimed. So, it could have linked it to a another house, maybe... Or someone else might have discarded it, as Myzzy suggests.

If not a blanket, might have been EB's or AB's clothes, bloodied, which would have ruined the "Random Stranger Abduction" story.

Or it could be not connected to the case at all. :sigh:

Just a thought...It could be a bloodied blanket from the alledged rape too. JMO

Just a thought...It could be a bloodied blanket from the alledged rape too. JMO

But whatever the cause of the blood, there would have to be something particularly damning about it to cause them to hide it. If Zahra was raped, the "Random Stranger Abductor(s)" could have done that just as easily, so why hide it more than anything else?

News video at this link shows the briefcase (and it is a briefcase not a bag) and was found about a hundred yards from the memorial set up there on the land where prosthetic was found previously.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13862219

ETA the memorial is a makeshift one marked with a sign and some flowers. The memorial was erected by the property owner after LE found a part of Zahra's prosthetic near that spot.

The briefcase was located almost directly across the road from that sign/memorial spot and back in the wooded area there.

A thought ocurs to me.

If this does indeed relate to Zahra then one of two things is possible IMO

1) the briefcase was there the whole time and simply not found by searchers as it was back in a wooded area on the opposite side of the road than was indicated by EB on her "outing" that day with LE.

2) the briefcase was depositted there weeks after the search teams were there and found the prosthetic and bone and placed there by someone who thought they were being clever and hiding it in an area that would not be further searched.

SNIPPED

Asked about a report that the blanket was stained with blood, Deal said Tuesday he wasn't sure if the stain was blood and that police are now awaiting test results.

The briefcase was found in the area of Christie road where police found a bone fragment belonging to Zahra and the gel liner of her prosthetic leg.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/18/1990058/briefcase-may-be-connected-to.html#ixzz1BR5Z2VZZ

note this article says gel liner from prosthetic.

Other sites say prosthetic. Still more say a piece of prosthetic. So there is still quite a bit of confusion about what was found at Christy Rd during searches. Also note the Observer still claims a "bone fragment" was found during the prior searches while other MSM sites have previously confirmed via statement by LE that the bone found was a bone, not a piece or a fragment.

So tired of the confusion around every bit of news that seems to come out about this case.

A thought ocurs to me.

1) the briefcase was there the whole time and simply not found by searchers as it was back in a wooded area on the opposite side of the road than was indicated by EB on her "outing" that day with LE.

2) the briefcase was depositted there weeks after the search teams were there and found the prosthetic and bone and placed there by someone who thought they were being clever and hiding it in an area that would not be further searched.

excellent thought!!

I also find the conflicting reports of

the briefcase seems to have been there a long time

and

the briefcase caught the loggers attention because it looked so new

to be conflicting? Perhaps the "it appeared to have been there a long time" was because it was covered with leaf fall and other items which suggested it may have lain undisturbed for a while?

Well if this is related, and confusing it is...clothing, blanket, clothes...?? I hope there is DNA and finger prints all over it. Just because we have not heard that EB mentioned this briefcase to LE, doesn't mean she did not. We have only heard a few bits and pieces of her discussions with LE I'm sure. I recall that after Zahra's buried remains were found, they were still quietly sending out two man search teams. Could be this item was one of the things they were looking for. Only futhers my belief that EB only knew second hand where some items/remains were disposed of.

A thought ocurs to me.

OR
3) Someone could have put it there on purpose, wanting the loggers to find it.

Good point Hickoryborn. Also entirely possible.

Can the lab tell if the blood came from a live person or if blood came from a person who was already dead? My dry cleaners tell me they can tell if blood is menstrual blood and also say the hardest blood to get ou of clothing is blood from trauma.

Just too add to the confliction...

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/26530132/detail.html

Snipped:

It’s unclear whether the briefcase and blanket are related to the investigation into Zahra’s disappearance and death. Police said only that the blanket was covered in mold and mildew and that they plan to test it at the state lab.

OR
3) Someone could have put it there on purpose, wanting the loggers to find it.

I also had the thought that perhaps someone had placed the briefcase there fairly recently. I could see this happening if someone had access to an item that could possibly implicate someone else. The biggest problem I have with it, is that the whole thing is just stupid! Placing a bloody item from a gruesome murder into a briefcase and then dumping it in the woods close to where you had dumped a prosthetic leg/gel liner/etc. just seems insane!!!! If I were in that kind of situation, I would drive 500 miles and drop it off in a dumpster somewhere in a high crime area of town. Guess it is good that none of us are criminals, huh??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back