2011.02.27 - C.City Being Evacuated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are just too many burning over too wide of an area for me to believe it was deliberate. The fire danger warnings have been going out all weekend, and with the high winds.......this is what happens.

thanks, teh. You always come to my rescue when my brain starts freakin out. I just want everyone okay, and Hailey found. Now I'm afraid any evidence will be burned :(

Prayers to all.

Mel

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 39. Windy, with a west wind between 20 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...AF&textField1=32.3997&textField2=-100.858&e=0

Has it changed to a west wind? If it has, how did it jump I-20? It's probably variable right now.

I worry about the hospital decision. jmo

eta: wind direction is variable according to weather underground--

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=79512

Praying for rain for these folks! geez of all the rotten luck.

:praying: Yes Lord! Open the flood gates of heaven and send the rain! Please stop the wind too Lord and keep everyone in the affected areas safe.
Thank you Lord in Jesus name.
Amen!

Wow, that is too big to be be arson. But I do wonder if maybe only part of it is arson? If these warnings were around for days, I can imagine someone setting fires and hoping it's blamed on the fires already burning. Or maybe it is just some wild, natural coincidence.

I am so on the fence about this! And I'm not usually one for sitting on fences!

The wind can shift here so easily but we are coastal. How is it there?

URGENT Strong winds will allow large and dangerous wildfires to persist into the night. In addition, winds will sharply shift to the north around midnight, which will impact firefighting efforts.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lub/

I'm in NM and we terribly high winds this morning and they probably hit there around 4 this afternoon. Not good. Praying for the locals and their homes and businesses.

Wildfire Update 9 p.m.: I-20 closed, nursing home and hospital evacuated in Colorado City
By Greg Kendall-Ball
Abilene Reporter-News
Posted February 27, 2011 at 2:08 p.m., updated February 27, 2011 at 8:58 p.m

ABILENE, TX — An dangerous wild fire situation has resulted in the closing of Interstate 20 and the evacuation of a nursing home and hospital in Colorado City.

State Police spokesman Sparky Dean said the interstate had to be shut down after heavy smoke "caused some crashes."

Lewis Kearney, spokesman for the Merkel-based Lone Star Incident Management Team, said a staging area -- for planning to be done -- has been set up at Colorado City's Dairy Queen.

According to a Department of Public Safety release, "Interstate 20 is closed at this time at mile post 219, Colorado City in Mitchell County because of the heavy amount of smoke crossing the interstate. The smoke has caused several crashes in that area. At present, there are several fires located around the Big Country. The most problematic area for travelers is the one located in Mitchell County near Colorado City, Texas."

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/feb/27/fires-reported-parts-big-country/

thanks, teh. You always come to my rescue when my brain starts freakin out. I just want everyone okay, and Hailey found. Now I'm afraid any evidence will be burned :(

Prayers to all.

Mel

Maybe it will somehow do the opposite. It is worth praying for that anyhow.

Maybe it will disturb a shallow grave or burn away the brush enough to expose some remains?

Lewis Kearney, spokesman for the Merkel-based Lone Star Incident Management Team, said a staging area -- for planning to be done -- has been set up at Colorado City's Dairy Queen.

At 9 p.m., Dean said local officials and volunteers are in the process of helping evacuate the hospital.

There are several fires that are being fought and ongoing within the Colorado City city limits.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/feb/27/fires-reported-parts-big-country/

Thanks teh for the updates. We are having a small oscar party here. I am being rude, but I don't care.

Wow, that is too big to be be arson. But I do wonder if maybe only part of it is arson? If these warnings were around for days, I can imagine someone setting fires and hoping it's blamed on the fires already burning. Or maybe it is just some wild, natural coincidence.

I am so on the fence about this! And I'm not usually one for sitting on fences!

We have horrible wildfires here in California, aand that is what happens to us sometimes. Thunder strikes may start a few big wildfires, and a spark from a car engine, and there might be several ongoing fires. And in the midst of them they later find that ONE will be started by a pyro or someone for insurance fraud. The others become a cover, so to speak, for their arson.

Isn't that nursing home at the top of Chestnut St right at I-20?

Kristi Lee Manor?

I'm in NM and we terribly high winds this morning and they probably hit there around 4 this afternoon. Not good. Praying for the locals and their homes and businesses.

your milbox is full friend, listening to scanner....are you local?
Are you ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members