2011.05.04 Verdict Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would JA have to bring the dress back into the house? That makes no sense even in your scenario. She also has changed the time NC was supposed to be at her house, and also changed the time she and her husband supposedly got up and people on here.

Just getting caught up on my latest obsession here, and haven't read all of the latest entries...

This statement speaks to a much broader point IMO. Several of you have stated that the fact that Brad told some lies/had some inconsistencies in his depo as proof of guilt, basically the "innocent don't have to lie" rationale. 2 points... 1) It is an enormous myth that innocent people don't lie in these situations. When an innocent person has the choice between telling the truth when it may be more damaging and arouse suspicion, or telling a lie that may diffuse suspicion, statistically they almost always choose the former. As one blogger who thinks BC is guilty correctly noted, many of the lies/inconsistencies told by BC in his depo were entirely inconsequential, with no bearing at all on BC's guilt or innocence. Bottom line, this doesn't really prove much. 2) A lot of people associated with this case have told lies or made inconsistent statements including, as ncsu95 correctly pointed out, NC's BFF JA. This list also includes NC herself, and most notably the CPD. I prefer the term "inconsistencies" to "lies" because as a 48 yo guy who can't remember what he had for breakfast, I don't always belive it's intentional. But I think it's fair to say that the CPD is at least guilty of telling lies of omission. Before anyone is tempted to send me a righteous reply to this last statement, please consider Googling Alan Gell, Mike Nifong, or NC SBI Crime Lab before doing so. Law enforcement does have a history of embellishing their version of the facts, especially in high-profile cases where there is a risk of being emabarrassed.

On another less related note, I live near the site where the body was found, so in keeping with my new obsession, my neighbor and I decided to drive by the site, ironically while on the way to the same HT that BC patonized. I wanted to compare the site to the current Google Maps image. The long and short of it is that the site looks compeltely different from what Google Maps shows. There are multiple houses where Google Maps shows trees. My guess is that the image is at least 2 years old. IMO the defense really blundered by not making this more abudantly clear to the jury. It could have really diffused the Google evidence.

Many of us have been critical of the prosecution. In the interest of fairness, I'd be interested in hearing otehr opinions as to where the defense fell short. In addition to the Google issue, I think they messed up by not presenting a plausible alternative to BC committing this crime. The one presented by jrb0124 back on 4/17, where it was posited that NC was meeting someone on Fielding Drive, possibly for a tryst, or something less sordid like a painting job, was interesting. It lacked real proof as most alternative theories do, but actually makes a lot of sense. If BC was monitoring her emails, etc..., it might arouse his suspicion, and would also explain why he did a Google Map search of the area the day beforehand.

What is with the two hour lunch? I thought they were tired and wanted to get this done!

me thinks they are pushing it:maddening:

good grief at the requests and notes!!

Just getting caught up on my latest obsession here, and haven't read all of the latest entries...

This statement speaks to a much broader point IMO. Several of you have stated that the fact that Brad told some lies/had some inconsistencies in his depo as proof of guilt, basically the "innocent don't have to lie" rationale. 2 points... 1) It is an enormous myth that innocent people don't lie in these situations. When an innocent person has the choice between telling the truth when it may be more damaging and arouse suspicion, or telling a lie that may diffuse suspicion, statistically they almost always choose the former. As one blogger who thinks BC is guilty correctly noted, many of the lies/inconsistencies told by BC in his depo were entirely inconsequential, with no bearing at all on BC's guilt or innocence. Bottom line, this doesn't really prove much. 2) A lot of people associated with this case have told lies or made inconsistent statements including, as ncsu95 correctly pointed out, NC's BFF JA. This list also includes NC herself, and most notably the CPD. I prefer the term "inconsistencies" "lies", but think it's fair to say that the CPD is at least guilty of telling lies of omission. Before anyone is tempted to send me a righteous reply to this last statement, please consider Googling Alan Gell, Mike Nifong, or NC SBI Crime Lab before doing so. Law enforcement does have a history of embellishing their version fo the facts, especially in high-profile cases where there is a risk of being emabarrassed.

On another less related note, I live near the site where the body was found, so in keeping with my new obsession, my neighbor and I decided to drive by the site, ironically while on the way to the same HT that BC patonized. I wanted to compare the site to the current Google Maps image. The long and short of it, is that the site looks compeltely different from what Google Maps shows. There are multiple houses where Google Maps shows trees. My guess is that the image is at least 2 years old. IMO the defense really blundered by not making this more abudantly clear to the jury. It could have really diffused the Google evidence.

Many of us have been critical of the prosecution. In the interest of fairness, I'd be interested in hearing otehr opinions as to where the defense fell short. In addition to the Google issue, I think they messed up by not presenting a plausible alternative to BC committing this crime. The one presented by jrb0124 back on 4/17, where it was posited that NC was meeting someone on Fielding Drive, possibly for a tryst, or something less sordid like a painting job, was interesting. It lacked real proof as most alternative theories do, but actually makes a lot of sense. If BC was monitoring her emails, etc..., it might arouse his suspicion, and would also explain why he did a Google Map search of the site beforehand to see where she was going.
I

If there was anything in her phone records that was questionable, not the phone itself people, but her phone log from the cell company, it would have been brought up in trial imo. It would be extremely difficult to carry on with someone and never have it show up in your phone records or email. There were no calls to or from JP since early June, iirc. So, I doubt it would be him. jmo

Um, review testimony, vote, go to lunch and then verdict?

oh how we do hope so!

bet the judge hopes so too, it's "special day" at the preschool ya know....lol

moving to the new thread.......see ya there:seeya:

My hope for verdict has been Cinco De Mayo.

I think this is another thing played up for dramatic effect. If my husband was across the street taking care of my kids, I may also, out of curiosity look and note when the lights were out that everyone must be sleeping. Nothing indicates she was afraid to go home or that she was afraid of BC. She even told DL that night that he was a good person.

The dramatic effect slides a bit more towards dramatic reality once there is a murder.

You make a good point, but I wonder if there was any communcation via text, communication that got erased when the CPD detective accidentally wiped her cell phone. Either way, it's just a theory, and I think the defense messed up by not giving the jury something else to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong