2011.05.13 - Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Five)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the media is going to characterize JB's treatment of the juror in the courtroom. It could backfire on JB.

Jean C thinks this is going to be an appeals issue.
She could be right. The IS panel could be spot on today, but I don't put any stock in what they say about this case. So far, they've been completely wrong in all of their predictions.

I'll give a toss about their expert analysis when they get at least a handful right.

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have been following since 08 too. These insession/trutv talking heads just aggravate the heck out of me. I am sure Judge Perry knows more about the law than Jean C does. Ugh

Welcome! and I am most assured HHJP does. He seems to know what he is doing so I'm not worried.:crazy:

Luca doesn't know the defense strategy but says Lee will get on the stand and tell the truth!

This is regarding the molestation accusations.

Luca said Lee will have his day in court if he is asked about any of that. Sounds like he will deny it!!!

sorry KC, he gets to speak at the penalty phase too.

I'm not legal savy and IS has me kinda worried with their talk of appellate issues (although they tend to be pro-defense at times). I have to assume that HHJP knows the law inside and out and wouldn't do a risky way of picking the jury if it might get overturned on appeal. Right? Someone talk me down...how common is this method of picking a jury?

Ok...quick question...was there a hearing at 8am with Shaw on the phone?

I googled: apparently there are two main methods used as far as when strikes take place, and other methods possible. The Judge has wide latitude in deciding which to use, but there have been sustained appeals for some methods.

For instance, one way not used in this case I saw described was to have both the defense and prosecution "secretly" write down their choice, strike or not strike. Then it's reviewed and if a strike is used by both, they both lose a strike.

There's no single set way, but I am sure HHJP is very aware of the ones that can cause an appeal issue.

I was surprised that the last juror was not stricken for cause and the defense had to use up a strike, but I'm happy about it :)

Jean on IS is about to wet her pants. Says Jose may ask for a mistrial or a motion to strike the whole panel....Jean says this is a conservative community.....yada, yada, yada.....she's doing her defense duty opining. Her and the other guest, Sunny(?) are very ticked at the judge....
Which is why Jean C and the other one are on TV and NOT in a courtroom. I don't get IS here and I'm glad. After a while all the monday morning quarterbacks (armchair attorneys) get on my nerves.

Luca said that as far as he knows that the investigation against the Anthony family is closed.

Hmmmmmmmm

Ok...quick question...was there a hearing at 8am with Shaw on the phone?

No - That got cancelled yesterday. They didn't say why. I can only assume, because there is no longer an issue.

A gentle reminder and where this post falls is random:

There is one very important mod issue to take care of and it is for everyone's own good, so please read carefully.

As stated in the Rules, Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. It is also a juror friendly forum. Serving on a jury is one of the most important civic duties a citizen can perform. Attacking or bashing a juror is not allowed. Discussing jurors' behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE PROCEEDINGS. Additionally, SLEUTHING JURORS - POTENTIAL OR SEATED - IS NOT ALLOWED. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors.

We are so adamant about this issue that:
  1. No one will be permitted to post in this real time thread until they have "thanked" this post so we know you have reviewed it and are fully aware of this rule.
  2. The consequences for sleuthing any potential jurors are severe - IF ANYONE SLEUTHS A JUROR THE POSTER WILL BE RESTRICTED FROM POSTING IN THIS FORUM FOR THE DURATION OF THE TRIAL.
Don't forget to "thank" the post if you intend on posting in the real time threads. Anyone who has not thanked it will not be permitted to post in the jury selection threads.

Thanks again for everything you guys! Love ya. Mean it. :heartbeat:

IS--Former atty of Lee just said he will tell the truth (called by both sides) in court..He didn't really give away much more but I got the impression he will be 'denying' all of his sister's claims.

That still just annoys me how he did that--I know he wants those aha Perry Mason moments BUT....then go on and on about him being a liar and not able to take an oath to tell the truth...uhhhhh look to your LEFT---she has raised her hand and given some whoppers bigger than a DUI in 2006-----just uncalled for considering the source:maddening:

Zoey, I love your posts but pleeeze make your font a wee bit larger as I can't read them too well. Ok, well I'm old but please do consider. :blowkiss:

Yikes, I'm beginning to sound like Mason with his "I'm old!" routine. I'm not really *that* old!

Can anyone tell me why he didn't at least wait for the third round to strike him? It seems to me that he had another chance to have him excused before he used his strike.

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have been following since 08 too. These insession/trutv talking heads just aggravate the heck out of me. I am sure Judge Perry knows more about the law than Jean C does. Ugh

Welcome, Galerie!

When Jean C shares our opinion, she's almost always considered a more than respectable and knowledgeable source by posters.

Luca said he represented him until he was given use immunity at the beginning of his deposition.
I apologize if I missed this but

Why was LA given use immunity? What did he know? What did he do (or not do)? Know I know about the wearing the wire and talking with TL - is that why?

Did anyone catch the name of this abbreviated style of juror selection? tia

Can anyone tell me why he didn't at least wait for the third round to strike him? It seems to me that he had another chance to have him excused before he used his strike.

Because it is Mr. Baez? :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member