2011.05.26 - After the jury was dismissed today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
At about 5 mins in to the video below, Kathy Belich and Bill Schaeffer discuss what TL stated, after the jury was excused for the day. Then at about 7:30 mins in, they discuss CM's move for a mistrial.

http://www.wftv.com/video/28041373/index.html

Bill Schaeffer said Mason's move for a mistrial was "wiley". Guess I need to get the dictionary down. I was under the impression that "wiley" was synonymous with "clever".

I predict that the DT will ask for a mistrial 6758493 times. Actually I'm surprised they have only asked once.

I also see her saying "what am I gonna do?". This was an ugly realization for this girl- no doubt. I don't know how in the world she thought she'd pull this one off. I just don't know.
She's a liar, but not a skilled liar, IMO.

She knows now that no one is going to back up her 'stories'.

Because pathological liars believe their own stories and think everyone else should too.

Hi, Strawberry, and thank you for the video clip! Casey has good reason to feel screwed. Under Florida law, the only ways that sexual abuse claims can be placed into testimony are [1] direct testimony (which is not going to happen) or [2] heresay, but only if they pertain to the victim's very early years. That is the reason why the judge himself interjected very specific questions about the time frame of Lee and George's actions. If it keeps going this way, Casey might have to testify as a last ditch attempt to save herself.

Thanks for clarifying that. Interesting.

I am quite interested in seeing the Motion in Limine that the SA's were discussing filing (hopefully today), and that Baez said was too late to be filed. HHJP stated that he would decide if it was a timely filing after he reads it.

If I heard correctly, the Motion directly relates to the actions of defense counsel during trial. Should be an interesting read.

I was also wondering if perhaps HHJP was thinking of statutory rape charges against la&ga???????? The questioning he did made me wonder.....

I was wondering the same thing too when HHJP was asking about the age and whether it was under the age of 12.

In FL the under the age of 12 is Capital Sexual Assault punishable by life in prison.

Hi, Yllek. Actually, Baez is doing his best to leverage in sexual abuse any way he can without having Casey testify (which would be a three or four day catastrophe). If he can pry open the door even with something as tangential as Tony's statements, he can try to get the rest in. The prosecution has good reason to exclude evidence even if it would partially neutralize Baez's opening onslaught.

I understand what you're saying Chanler. I just think Baez was unprepared for what he got once he started unprying the door (starting with Tony). Tony's proffer testimony yesterday did not support Baez's opening statement claims. In fact, his testimony contradicted them and made Lee the more aggressive in terms of attempted sexual abuse (which Casey told him never materialized).

No sexual abuse and some discipline by George when Casey was younger does not an incest victim make... If I were Baez, I'd keep alluding to "secrets" that Casey told her friends and leave it at that. Let the sexual abuse seed planted in the jurors mind grow off the opening statement. If he's relying on what Casey's told him (Baez) that she told others to be true, he may be prying open doors that are best left closed. If the secret behind the doors is revealed and not what Baez so vigorously claimed in opening statements, he is further nullifying his defense strategy (along with minimizing mitigating factors should she be convicted). He can't put Casey on the stand because she's an admitted liar. For the same reason, he can't pry doors open to get stories of sexual abuse hearsay admitted (and believed) without knowing for sure what lies behind those doors. Big risk, imo.

Anxious to hear Judge Perry's ruling this morning and whether Tony is allowed to testify to this hearsay in open court...

ALL JMO...

I strongly dislike George and Cindy.
But thinking that Baez made all this up about sexual abuse - I just can't contemplate that. Will that affect Baez in the future at all?
Yes I believe it will. I'm afraid it will get him more business because some people will see him as being a lawyer that will go to ANY length to get his client off, and this is the "justice" system, not the "fairness" system, so what the jury believes is what the verdict is, not what the actual truth may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member