2011.07.08 - Dateline NBC

The words "THANK YOU" just don't seem enough.

To all of you who contributed to this topic with excerpts of the show, I'm sure you don't realize how grateful I am to all of you!

I ended up with seven Grandkidlets and the TVs were all taken up after showers/baths and jammies were put on.
I was chomping at the bit and wondered if hitting "Stop' on Happy Feet so I could watch Dateline was considered child abuse. :)
I was hoping to see a little recap here but you all went above and beyond a little recap!
I am so grateful to all of you!

well only two states in the country have a lower high school graduation rate than florida, an ugly statistic which casey has obviously contributed to. i guess scott had the bad luck of being tried in a state with a 68% high school grad rate compared to florida's 59% rate...

:waitasec: I'm sorry, will you please help me to understand what the reasoning is behind this statement? I know that some of the jurors are high school drop outs, but AFAIK, we don't know where any of the jurors went to school. I'm not taking up for them, I think they got it terribly wrong for several reasons, but at this point, to say that their verdict or eduational level has anything to do with the graduation rate of any state is pure speculation. JMOO .

He has every right to go out and voice his opinion. My point is that he and the others involved in prosecuting the case are not screaming for the jurors heads on platters, fueling conspiracy theory rumors, or insinuating that these jurors are too naive, simple or lazy to process the jury instructions. It seems that those most directly involved in the case have a much better understanding of the machinations of the presentation of evidence and how verdicts are rendered than the general public including those on WS. If he and the other prosecutors are not outraged and clamoring for an investigation of the jury or possible misconduct, that should be a big clue to the rest of us.

BBM~

What makes you think that they are not? This was JA's last case...that was why he went on the 'press junket' and I certainly wouldn't expect a professional of his caliber to say anything but positive things about the legal system. The other two on the team are still employed by the State, and are not allowed to do media. Do you think that if they are looking into jury misconduct that they would let the public know, at this time? I DON'T! :twocents:

:waitasec: I'm sorry, will you please help me to understand what the reasoning is behind this statement? I know that some of the jurors are high school drop outs, but AFAIK, we don't know where any of the jurors went to school. I'm not taking up for them, I think they got it terribly wrong, but at this point, to say that their eduational level has anything to do with the graduation rate of any state is pure speculation. JMOO .

I agree, what this jury lacked was common sense, the ability to follow the courts instructions, and the intelligence to ask for clarification of instructions they did not understand.

Seeing all these jurors on TV really gets me mad. Based on their reasoning, would not 90 percent of most murderers get off? Anyone hiding a body could just say the person died in an accident and they had family problems so they could not call police.

Based on their reasoning, Scott Peterson would have got off. lacy could have hit her head or something and he just disposed of the body. Scott Peterson was also a great husband before he killed her!!!

Also I fear that after menendez we had a whole bunch of "abuse excuse" cases, now we might have a lot more "accident excuse" cases!!!

Ashton is retiring after 30 years as a very successful and well respected attorney. I do not blame him for wanting to go public and answer a few questions. Lord knows the DT is all over the media. Why shoudn't he give his perspective as well?

His is the one I take seriously and listen to!

And yet from what the 3 jurors have said publicly, they all liked Baez a lot. They liked his 'style.' And they thought the state team was not nice enough to them.

Do you have any links to these comments because I watched a couple of the interviews and I may have missed the parts where any of them said they "liked Baez a lot" and thought the SA was not nice enough...
Jennifer Ford was actually very complimentary of the SA in one interview.

Based on their reasoning, Scott Peterson would have got off. lacy could have hit her head or something and he just disposed of the body. Scott Peterson was also a great husband before he killed her!!!

If Scott Peterson got Casey's jury then it would appear they would have set him free. No cause of death, very little physical evidence, and no evidence Scott Peterson was ever an abusive husband-even Laci's parents stood up for him in the beginning and said he was a great husband.

BBM. Never said anything about not respecting JA or the SAO. It's curious however, that if the jury's verdict was as surprising, egregious, and casual as so many on WS are claiming, JA would have had it in him to do a press junket. I think people like to believe that the prosecutors are super human crusaders and their passion and reason for living is to see that justice is served. In the end, it's a job and I suspect JA understands that to a large degree this was a performance and his performance was not as compelling as the other guys. I doubt he's losing a lot of sleep over it. He certainly doesn't purport that the jury lies at fault. There is an ugly, sausage making aspect to the legal profession and I don't think anybody directly associated with the trial was particularly shocked at how it all played out.

No, I'm sorry, I never thought you said anything about not respecting JA. I was speaking in general terms. We all know JB was right on the edge with what he pulled in court when the judge warned him numerous times. And I do think that there are many times the jury just does not understand how to be a juror. If there is no one with a legal background or prior jury experience they can do exactly what this jury has done. "We know she's guilty, but of what" and they make a decision and want to be done with it. The judge told all of them they do not have to talk to the press, period. They can go home and refuse to discuss the case with anyone. Most did do that but few did not and because they have put it out there what they say will be picked apart. In this whole case KC is the only one who has been able to keep her mouth shut because her attorney demanded it. In our society we have the right to see what is wrong with our system, freedom of speech to say so and the legal right to try and set things right. jmo

This dateline is very interesting! Is anyone else watching?

No, and I won't watch it when any of the other jurors are on. I won't watch it when Baez or Casey are on. They all had their chance to stand up and "speak" for Caylee, and they didn't. I'll be gosh darned (acceptable?), if I will contribute to their wealth by watching them try to speak now.

Hear what you are saying and understand your point - (not being combative) just want to say that my opinion of Casey's guilt is not based on pretrial publicity but based on the evidence. And, re: how casey acted - that is a part of this circumstantial case.

Might I add that the jury also saw alot more evidence than anyone not in the courtroom.

Just a minor point in the whole sordid story, but Ricardo said that Casey slept between Ricardo and Caylee. Still not something a good mother would do.

Of course he did. I don't blame him for saying that. Casey said otherwise though. But common sense also says that you cannot put a 2 yr old to sleep on the edge of an adult bed with 2 adults on the other side. That is also dangerous, as she could easily roll off onto her head. So something tells me she was put in the middle. Either way, it is skanky of Casey to do that. This guy was not her long time boyfriend or anything.

Also I fear that after menendez we had a whole bunch of "abuse excuse" cases, now we might have a lot more "accident excuse" cases!!!

I remember on the first day of trial of this case, someone on HLN brought up the Menedez case and how "abuse execuses" get used in some trials. Last year, I watched the documentary Mrs. Menedez which was about Erik's wife Tammy and in the documentary she brought up that Erik and Lyle were abused. After watching that, I did research on Erik and Lyle and several people actually backed up the abuse claims. A few relatives admitted that they saw Jose Menendez hit his kids. The sexual abuse claims in the Menendez case haven't never been backed up.

But with Casey, nobody has backed up the molestation claims. I think both Jesse and Tony probably will never know what to believe.

I also fear "accident excuses" to happen with other cases. I think the drowning defense has too many holes and I can't really see someone like George wanting to cover up a drowning.

I think the felon KC was trying to gain sympathy from these guys and then instill anger and rage in them so they would take care of the father and brother for her.

Of course he did. I don't blame him for saying that. Casey said otherwise though. But common sense also says that you cannot put a 2 yr old to sleep on the edge of an adult bed with 2 adults on the other side. That is also dangerous, as she could easily roll off onto her head. So something tells me she was put in the middle. Either way, it is skanky of Casey to do that. This guy was not her long time boyfriend or anything.

I always having a feeling that Caylee was sleeping in the middle. I do think Ricardo lied on the stand to protect himself and he possibly committed perjury but there is no evidence to say he perjured himself.

Some of Casey's boyfriends were pretty naive. Ricardo's friend and roommate JP Chatt stated in his deposition that he didn't think Casey was a good mom because Caylee was sleeping the same bed as her and Ricardo. I think Ricardo back then might have not thought that doing was bad. JP was probably a concerned friend who worried about Ricardo being accused of abuse or something.

Tony was also a naive boyfriend but he had a little more common sense than Ricardo. I think it was mentioned in different LE interviews that Tony didn't want Caylee to spend the night at his apartment.

No, and I won't watch it when any of the other jurors are on. I won't watch it when Baez or Casey are on. They all had their chance to stand up and "speak" for Caylee, and they didn't. I'll be gosh darned (acceptable?), if I will contribute to their wealth by watching them try to speak now.

I won't watch it, and I didn't watch the 2 hour special on HLN either. I'm tired of the talking heads back peddling and now saying JB did such a fine job (JC, JVM, VP, RH). Last week they were all convinced there would be a guilty verdict -- but it appears that the media goes down the most popular road (don't want to look bad now). Nancy is about the only one sticking to her guns and is being berated for it (as if it's her fault now that ICA was found innocent).

It's crazy...so I've turned my attention to Big Brother and Celebrity Ghost Stories - LOL.

Hugs,

Mel

I did not read through the entire 23 pages, but I wanted to ask.....the jurors are saying they did not believe there was any sexual abuse. If they believe that, would that not raise a red flag, that she is basically throwing her dad and brother under the bus? And if she is accusing them and it is not true, you have to ask yourself, "What for?" That she looks so guilty she has to make something up to save her own life? To explain the partying?
So even if they hadnt brought sexual abuse in, she still would have been found not guilty?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back