2017.08.02 - RAISE Act

Discussion in 'Politivent General Topics' started by bessie, Aug 2, 2017.

1. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

WATCH LIVE: Trump rolls out immigration reform bill
    Christina Gregg, AOL.com
    Aug 2nd 2017 11:26AM

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...oduces-immigration-reform-raise-act/23061539/

"Republican Senators Tom Cotton and David Perdue are set to join President Trump on Wednesday in introducing a bill meant to overhaul the U.S. immigration system.

The Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy Act -- or RAISE Act -- is described by the White House as "aimed at creating a skills-based immigration system that will make America more competitive, raise wages for American workers, and create jobs. Americans deserve a raise."'

2. Loading...

3. bessie

4. bessie

Trump Pushes RAISE Act to Reform Legal Immigration for U.S. Workers

[...]

“As a candidate I campaigned on creating a merit-based system that benefits American workers and taxpayers,” he said. “The RAISE Act will increase wages, decrease poverty and save taxpayers billions of billions of dollars.”

https://www.peoplespunditdaily.com/...ise-act-reform-legal-immigration-u-s-workers/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Active Member

Trump’s RAISE ACT Reduces LEGAL Immigration & Prioritizes Immigrants w/ Needed Skills

The Raise Act bill creates a points-based system that favors high-skilled immigrants and potential job-creating entrepreneurs who speak English, and who will not need welfare (over 50% of American immigrants need welfare). According to Senator Perdue, the proposed system is modeled on the Canadian and Australian systems, according to Perdue’s office.

http://lidblog.com/trump-bill-cut-back-legal-immigration/

6. jamiect

jamiect Wandering but not lost

Posts are acting wonky..had to delete.

7. human

human Well-Known Member

8. BayouBelle_LA

51% of immigrant households on welfare, 30% 'native Americans'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/5...n-welfare-30-native-americans/article/2571257

Welfare Use by Immigrant and Native Households
    An Analysis of Medicaid, Cash, Food, and Housing Programs

https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-Immigrant-and-Native-Households

In 2012, 51 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal or illegal) reported that they used at least one welfare program during the year, compared to 30 percent of native households. Welfare in this study includes Medicaid and cash, food, and housing programs.

9. BritsKate

BritsKate Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CIS a really right wing, anti-immigrant think thank? I seem to remember Trump specifically citing them and me doing research back during the campaign or shortly thereafter - we're talking eugenics level stuff they've been linked to, which I find more than a bit revolting.

My apologies if I'm not remembering correctly though.

Further, it's my understanding that immigrants - except in rare circumstances - are blocked from receiving federal funds so doesn't 51% seem unbelievably high? (That seems pretty standard - I immigrated to England and as part of the visa process itself, swore not to resort to public funds.) It's actually really difficult to find immigration studies/statistics that aren't heavily biased so I can't account for this organization's impartiality or lack thereof, but these appear to be extremely important points to ponder about the statistics you referenced:

https://www.cato.org/blog/cis-exaggerates-cost-immigrant-welfare-use

ETA: Upon further research, the Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank founded by the Charles Koch foundation in 1974, so hardly a liberally biased source. Full disclosure and all that. ;)

And this is from the Anti-Defamation League:
    https://www.adl.org/education/resources/fact-sheets/myths-and-facts-about-immigrants-and-immigration

10. BayouBelle_LA

Trump aide Stephen Miller slams CNN star Acosta on immigration

White House senior adviser Stephen Miller lashed out Wednesday at CNN star Jim Acosta for his “cosmopolitan bias” during a heated debate in the briefing room over President Trump’s call to overhaul legal immigration.

Video at Link - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ler-slams-cnn-star-acosta-on-immigration.html

I think Miller won that argument.

11. ATasteOfHoney

ATasteOfHoney Active Member

Australia uses a point system to attract talent for legal immigration purposes.

Good idea.

12. human

human Well-Known Member

So who is going to work at all of the resorts and restaurants around the US? Nobody. So people will be losing their businesses. Oh well.

13. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Active Member

Welfare laws need to be changed! How many generations are living on the government because that is all they know and they grow up hearing derogatory remarks on "why should we work when the government will give it to us free".

These lifetime welfare recipients know how to play the government games to sidestep the rules. They share with newcomers to the program, so the pie continues to grow.

Many welfare recipients are able to work, they are just too lazy. If the ones that could work were working, bringing in these immigrants to fill the summer jobs would not be necessary. JMO.

If our laws were changed, people were forced to go to work because welfare has stopped, we would see a big change in the US.

My opinions only.

14. simba16

simba16 New Member

Two of my closest friends are legal immigrants, both high achievers. One came over from Iran to study engineering. He went on to receive two degrees, form two large companies, employing hundreds (one of the companies he founded was bought by Cargill) He has a net worth of over 100 million dollars. My other friend, from Switzerland, found employment here with Roche. I think legal immigrants are the creme of the crop: doctors, engineers, scientists, great citizens. Einstein just one name that came to mind. Another backward dumb Trump policy.

15. simba16

simba16 New Member

Yes, hard to find labor for Miralago.

16. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Active Member

Where are you getting this information? Do you really think people who need welfare are just lazy? Aren't the bad economy and high unemployment rates part of the reason DJT won the election? If the economy is bad, poverty is high and unemployment is high of course there are going to be more people on unemployment. You can't force people to go to work when there are no jobs. It's not because they're lazy or they like it!

6 welfare myths we all need to stop believing

Myth 1: People on welfare are unmotivated and not working.
    Myth 3: Undocumented populations are stealing welfare benefits from citizens.
    Myth 5: Once a person goes on welfare, they'll freeload off it for years.

17. Fairy1

Fairy1 Divided We Fall

Then, there are those who are brought in - from Eastern Europe (not Mexico) - to perform work that Americans can and will do:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbsn-on-assignment-foreign-workers-used-to-build-auto-plants-in-us/

For three years, Gerald Greiner managed safety on American construction projects for a German contractor called Eisenmann. His first job was at Mercedes in Vance, Alabama in 2013.

"There was Polish and Slovenian and Croatian people there," he told correspondent Vladimir Duthiers. "It was hard for me to believe because I just didn't understand why they would be here."

What did they do? "Anywhere from steel erection to pipe fitting to pouring concrete to installing equipment, just about everything."

18. simba16

simba16 New Member

Where would our country be today without just one legal immigrant: Albert Einstein?

19. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Active Member

I thought he was a refugee?

20. simba16

simba16 New Member

Maybe he was a refugee, not sure. I'm sure he received his citizenship. It should have been honorary.

21. jamiect

jamiect Wandering but not lost

How ironic that the WH was rolling out a new plan regarding green card distribution today?

U.S. Attorney Subpoenas Kushner Cos. Over Investment-For-Visa Program

Kushner Cos., the New York property development business owned by the family of White House senior adviser Jared Kushner, has been subpoenaed by New York federal prosecutors regarding its use of an investment-for-immigration program, according to people familiar with the matter.

The subpoena concerns at least one Jersey City, N.J., development financed in part by a federal visa program known as EB-5: twin, 66-floor commercial-and-residential towers called One Journal Square, said a person familiar with the subpoena.
    In early May, the company drew attention for a marketing campaign in Beijing and Shanghai that solicited Chinese investors for One Journal Square, saying that up to 300 individuals who put $500,000 each into the project could be eligible for green cards under the EB-5 program, according to marketing materials reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The EB-5 program, which offers green cards to aspiring immigrants who invest at least $500,000 in certain U.S. businesses that have been determined to create at least 10 jobs per investor, has been at the center of debate in Washington. Critics say the program is being used to boost wealthier areas of the country instead of aiding poorer ones as intended.

A green card permits a foreign national to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely. The majority of EB-5 visas go to wealthy Chinese individuals.