Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

The National Hurricane Center has issued a hurricane warning for the Tampa Bay area just after its 5 p.m. advisory for Hurricane Ian.

A hurricane watch has also been issued for Big Bend, Florida, near the panhandle, and tropical storm warnings are in effect for much of southwest Florida.

Tropical storm watches are in effect for Orlando toward the northeast portion of the state, from Fort Pierce to Jacksonville.

I have an artist friend, teaches at an Art Academy in Camaguey, Cuba. Where he is is inland, just east of the central area of Cuba. Not the worst place to be in Cuba during this hurricane, but can't be good either....

Also a couple of friends in Tampa, and one living on Sanibel Island.....latter has evacuated.

Stay prepared and safe, all who are in harm's way....

Checking in from north Sarasota, FL. (The gray dot in the photo)

It is eerily calm and the birds are quiet. It’s 76 degrees, very light breeze. We’ve had intermittent rain bands since late yesterday and it’s overcast.

Attachments

• B2AD9EC0-2A69-49C6-AECA-6DBCBE9509FC.jpeg
    B2AD9EC0-2A69-49C6-AECA-6DBCBE9509FC.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
Checking in from north Sarasota, FL. (The gray dot in the photo)

It is eerily calm and the birds are quiet. It’s 76 degrees, very light breeze. We’ve had intermittent rain bands since late yesterday and it’s overcast.
It's looking really scary for Tampa and Sarasota (and a much bigger area, of course)... Worried for you and your daughters! Also for others who posted above about loved ones in that area. Praying you all stay safe!

WDIV (Detroit) meteorologist Kim Adams' son is a student at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Kim left for Tampa following the 6:00PM newscast last night because she is concerned about her son. She will be reporting on the storm from Tampa for the next few days. Kim does the WDIV weather forecasts at 4:00, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, and 11:00PM.

To all Websleuthers, families, friends who are in the path of the storm: Please be safe. Evacuate if you are advised to do so by local authorities. I've been watching live coverage on The Weather Channel as well as local media reports on WDIV. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Sarasota County city of Venice is expected to be landfall for Hurricane Ian, coming ashore Wednesday as a powerful Category 3 storm packing winds up to 125 m.p.h
Ugh--I hate hurricanes and all the destruction they cause! Continued prayers for those in the path.

This storm is eerily similar to Hurricane Charley from 2004. I live in Clearwater now but I lived in Tampa then. It was supposed to be a direct hit on Tampa Bay and ended up making landfall in Punta Gorda. Charley also came off of western Cuba and made the turn more toward the east. I am not letting my guard down here in Pinellas County yet though.

Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, remained open Tuesday amid the approach of Hurricane Ian along Florida's western coast — though some surrounding Disney properties are set to temporarily close.

The company said in a statement that its theme parks and Disney Springs shopping area are "currently operating under normal conditions," even as it prepares to make adjustments as needed based on weather data.

Among the other properties Disney says will be closed Wednesday through Friday...

Checking in and hoping all those near me are doing ok so far.

The hurricane track has shifted south of Tampa. Sarasota is essentially the current bullseye. Landfall isn't that important as we're all screwed here. No one is going to come out of this unscathed. My house is concrete block and my 4 year old roof meets the newer requirements. It has a stick-down layer under the shingles. If the shingles blow off, I won't need a tarp.

We have had light rain most of the late afternoon. The radar shows stronger storms later tonight and the early morning hours. I don't have an impact drill to install the bolts for my hurricane shutters. I'm going to see if my neighbors can help me tomorrow. My windows are double-paned but they are old. My slider doors are wind rated to 150+ MPH.

I went to CVS to get my new med and it wasn't busy. I decided I'd stop at Publix and the staff was already covering the refrigerated sections with heavy black plastic. I picked up a few things so I'll be fine. I emptied my ice maker so I have 2 gallon bags of ice.

My oldest helped me get everything out of the yard and into the garage, shed and lanai (which has a roof). Hopefully, my two big oak trees, which were recently trimmed, don't cause any damage.

Checking in and hoping all those near me are doing ok so far.

The hurricane track has shifted south of Tampa. Sarasota is essentially the current bullseye. Landfall isn't that important as we're all screwed here. No one is going to come out of this unscathed. My house is concrete block and my 4 year old roof meets the newer requirements. It has a stick-down layer under the shingles. If the shingles blow off, I won't need a tarp.

We have had light rain most of the late afternoon. The radar shows stronger storms later tonight and the early morning hours. I don't have an impact drill to install the bolts for my hurricane shutters. I'm going to see if my neighbors can help me tomorrow. My windows are double-paned but they are old. My slider doors are wind rated to 150+ MPH.

I went to CVS to get my new med and it wasn't busy. I decided I'd stop at Publix and the staff was already covering the refrigerated sections with heavy black plastic. I picked up a few things so I'll be fine. I emptied my ice maker so I have 2 gallon bags of ice.

My oldest helped me get everything out of the yard and into the garage, shed and lanai (which has a roof). Hopefully, my two big oak trees, which were recently trimmed, don't cause any damage.

My thoughts are with you @PayrollNerd .
Stay safe!

I am very concerned about the electric utility power restoration efforts if this storm is as damaging as predicted. Transformers are in short supply nationwide. People could be without power for weeks.

As the peak time for U.S. hurricanes arrives, utilities along the nation’s coastlines are facing unprecedented delays in obtaining new power transformers, the critical grid equipment that moves electricity over wires.

A lack of replacements could delay recovery from major storms, although the dimensions of that risk are not clear, according to electric industry officials.

Well, Jim Cantore has gone south. Not surprisingly, the landfall has shifted south again. Thankfully, today my oldest moved out of her apartment in Charlotte Harbor . Just in the nick of time too. Her bed and couch are still in the apartment. They can get those Saturday, if they're allowed back in at that point.

Last edited:
It is coming in bigger, faster and meaner as the hours tick by. Hang on tight SWFL!!

Ian will likely make landfall Wednesday afternoon to evening between Sarasota and Port Charlotte as a Category 3 or Category 4 hurricane. (Hurricanes are designated as Category 4 when winds reach speeds of 130 mph to 156 mph.) Whichever of the two it is, one forecaster warned the storm still be a “large and destructive hurricane” for the state, urging residents to listen to local leaders’ advice.

We loaded 5 generators today (on our personal rig) that are big enough to power a store (each). They are going to gas stations for tomorrow (Wednesday) to be put into place for when they lose power, they can still operate the stores and pump gas if gas is available. Think HUGE generators. We loaded 5 flat beds (from our company), 5 generator's each today and were not the only company grabbing these and driving overnight with them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back