250 kids suspended!

Jules - do you literally mean 3 hours of homework? Literally? Like, from 5 - 8 with no breaks and working constantly?

I live in Texas too, in a school with an "excellent" rating. Our rule here is 10 minutes of homework per grade - so a 4th grader would have 40 minutes of homework. Most teachers here think that is too much, too, and don't assign that much every night.

My fifth grader gets a little homework, and more if they don't understand it, to reinforce the learning. So sometimes he'll come home with a note, "please study again for this" or "reinforce this concept".

I've heard nightmares from other parents in the district here from years past, but that has changed - the less, the better.

CyberLaw said:
So the district is under achieving, the test scores or whatever must be low, to improve the district standing they 'assign" homework or assignments for the students to do on their vacations.

Then the students come back after two weeks, the assignment is not done and then they will miss more school and not learn or do assignments because now there is a suspension en masse.

Just an extension of the vacation.....that is so nice of them to give the kids extra time off from school and not learn. I am sure that will improve the under achieving test scores.

Heck, what if the kids don't want to come back to school, they don't want to do this assignment, they can watch TV all day, hang out at the mall, surf the computer, sleep in, this behavior will certainly get them in the "mood" to return to school and improve the test score of the under achieving district. Some of them may even "find trouble" or break the law or whatever.

How about offering "positive" incentives.....to complete the assignment, not punitive. Kids do get punitive(especially if it gets them what they want most, not to go to school and a longer vacation.)

If the kids did not finish this assignment on vacation, what leads one to believe that they will finish it at all to return to school.

Please.......and if they allow these kids back in school even if they don't finish the assignment, the kids will see it as a joke.

It is not like the kids get suspended from work and they need a paycheque.

Especially if any of these kids are vulnerable and thought about quitting school. Well now this decision may have just cemented that thought.

Some one needs to "guide" this school and replace whomever is in charge.

I hope the kids did not know that they would be suspended from school before the assignment was handed out. That very well may be the reason why the assignment was not done.

But then again, if the assignment was required to be finished after school, do you really think that all of these teachers will stay after school to help the students get the assignments done. That will take, time, effort and extra hours without extra pay. That would be the teachers making an effort to improve the "under achieving scores" of this district.

Don't lay it on the backs of the students. The teachers need to pitch in also, not fully expect the students to do so and the teachers get to spend their vacation without doing extra work.

So how long is this suspension going to last. A few weeks, a few months, a few years. Maybe the 5 year old will hand it in when she is ready for high school.

This district needs extra help so that the students can succeed. Oh I forgot, 250 are at home doing nothing.

I got a call. My oldest was caught throwing snow balls. A no no and he is aware of this. They told him and me if he is caught throwing snow balls again, he will be suspended for a day.

He told me: Well that day I can sleep in, play computer, play video games, go to the park, ice skating, rent movies and have a "fun day off".

I in turn told him he would be spending the day in the office at the school.

Brought him down to reality a bit about his "fun day off". Actually he saw a suspension as a reward for breaking the rules.

The suspension is the reward to these kids for not doing their work, and it actually benefits them..........that is the way kids will see it.

Or maybe you will have one kid finish the assignment and then be the only kid in that class that the teacher is teaching. I am sure that will improve the test scores.

Kids don't care about test scores or the "under achieving district" they(especially teenagers) care about having a work free vacation and enjoying their "break from school".
Sorry I could not even read your post in it's entirety because something was missing....PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY and the INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY of the older students.

If the parents allow their children to hang out, watch tv and enjoy the time off while suspended...well SHAME ON THOSE PARENTS!!!

Lancaster's superintendent said he does not care how the public receives the suspensions. His district is underachieving academically, and if adding a punitive component to homework helps, he said it is a program possibly worth expanding.

Well, fortunately, my daughter's grown, so I don't have to deal with homework anymore, thank the Good Lord, cuz it 'bout drove me crazy...3-4 hours every night. Anyway, what I was going to say is this: If this school district is underachieving academically, they should have taken steps to work on that long before Christmas vacation. I am one who believes a break is a break, and getting away from it is what it's all about. When you take a vacation from work, do you work the whole time you're off? Well, obviously, a few folks do, but most of us take our vacation and try not to give work a thought for the time we're off. We need that break to relax and get rejuvenated, so to speak. I feel it is the same for our children. JMHO.

PaperDoll said:
I agree Mysteriew... a holiday should be just that, a holiday.. no homework.. give the kids a break and let them be with their families..
Just what the world needs, underachieving children taking extended breaks :bang:

My son's school assigns homework all the time. Last year at the end of the school year I was shocked he came home with a summer MANDATORY reading list. The kid just completed the first grade! He benefited tremendously in so many ways and it wasn't too much trouble! We still had plenty of time to do whatever. Parents need to ask themselves ....Will this harm my child or benefit him?

How hard is it to set aside 30 minutes a day for 10 days to get a project done? How are these children ever going to learn about working independently and working just to get ahead? Mediocre is now GOAL?

KatherineQ said:
Jules - do you literally mean 3 hours of homework? Literally? Like, from 5 - 8 with no breaks and working constantly?

I live in Texas too, in a school with an "excellent" rating. Our rule here is 10 minutes of homework per grade - so a 4th grader would have 40 minutes of homework. Most teachers here think that is too much, too, and don't assign that much every night.

My fifth grader gets a little homework, and more if they don't understand it, to reinforce the learning. So sometimes he'll come home with a note, "please study again for this" or "reinforce this concept".

I've heard nightmares from other parents in the district here from years past, but that has changed - the less, the better.

Hi KatherineQ,

Yes, we usually start after dinner - about 6:30 or so and many times we are just finishing up at 9:30. It's insane!!

I really have to question just what the teachers do all day if they are not getting things done in class and it has to be sent home. We have spoken with many parents and are putting together a group to talk to the school board.

I agree - the less the better! I do hope it changes. He's an active kid and loves sports. The fall was brutal as he excels in both soccer and football. Between practices almost every night and games on Saturdays - there were many nights we were up until 11 p.m. doing homework. As I told his teacher - I refuse to take him out of extra curricular things just to sit home and do homework. Kids need to blow off stream - whether by sports, music, or just good ole fashion playing. Luckily his classes don't start until 8:45 - otherwise we'd have lots of issues.

I would like to know what kind of project it was? If it was reading a book and getting ready to discuss it when you get back in January, or keeping a journal, writing a paper about your holiday - that's okay; but why have a vacation at all if you have school assignments to do?

I thought they have school start in early August so they can finish with finals now in December before the holidays. I do agree the winter break can be a little long for parents. But it would be nice if families read books and did constructive learning things on their own - even some movies can be great; family discussions. Games. Kids can be learning all the time, without homework always hanging over them.

I think year-round-school could be beneficial, but they didn't want it in Texas. (they want the kids to drive the parents nuts after about a month, in the heat).

How can they suspend 5-year-olds if the parents have a schedule and need to go to work and so forth? I agree it would be better to keep them after school to finish what they were supposed to do. ( I don't think five-year-olds should have homework, tho')

Our school handed out a packet of math and reading projects to do over the holiday break. This is on top of a family tree project and a science experiment (the real kind, not just making crystals etc!) that was due a few days after the break was over.

I understand the need to keep kids from regressing, but the amount of homework that my kids rec'd was over the top for a busy holiday break. We (yes WE) managed to finish it and when it was turned in the children heard that they would be given a letter from the school superintendent. AND the children that didn't do it WOULDN'T receive that letter.

So I'm infuriated because none of this work counted towards my children's grades, nor did anything negative happen to those that didn't even do it.

On top of it all, the packet was for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. I'm sure you can appreciate the differences in math abilities between those grades. My 3rd grader did not even know how to do about 50% of the math problems because she doesn't know much about 5th grade math! That was fun, for me. (hear the sarcasm?)

I think there are better ways of handling this situation. I also think the school should have alerted parents to the suspension possibility before-hand. If they did send the homework home w/a note that said this is mandatory-then the parents are the ones that should be in trouble too! :)

Taximom said:
Our school handed out a packet of math and reading projects to do over the holiday break. This is on top of a family tree project and a science experiment (the real kind, not just making crystals etc!) that was due a few days after the break was over.

I understand the need to keep kids from regressing, but the amount of homework that my kids rec'd was over the top for a busy holiday break. We (yes WE) managed to finish it and when it was turned in the children heard that they would be given a letter from the school superintendent. AND the children that didn't do it WOULDN'T receive that letter.

So I'm infuriated because none of this work counted towards my children's grades, nor did anything negative happen to those that didn't even do it.

On top of it all, the packet was for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. I'm sure you can appreciate the differences in math abilities between those grades. My 3rd grader did not even know how to do about 50% of the math problems because she doesn't know much about 5th grade math! That was fun, for me. (hear the sarcasm?)

I think there are better ways of handling this situation. I also think the school should have alerted parents to the suspension possibility before-hand. If they did send the homework home w/a note that said this is mandatory-then the parents are the ones that should be in trouble too! :)
When my 6th grade daughter's teacher gets ready to assign projects, he sends home a note to the parents letting them know what it is, and when it's due. The parents have to sign the letter and return it to the teacher prior to the assignment. Her teacher holds her and Us (as parents) accountable for the completion of the assignments. Education is a partnership between parents, children and the teachers. Without, each one doing their part, the child will have a hard time. I prepare dinner every night with all three of the kids sitting at the dining room table with homework. And yes, while it is a huge pain, and sometimes hard to keep up witht the three of them, I know that this will only beneift them in the long run. Like I posted before, I don't agree with the out of school suspension, but after school detention would achieve the same result. The parents should have been forewarned about the assignment and it's due date.

I think year-round-school could be beneficial, but they didn't want it in Texas. (they want the kids to drive the parents nuts after about a month, in the heat).
Not true, some districts have gone to year round school. It's up to the individual district, not the state.

If kids are returning to school with unfinished assignments it lays squarely on the students and parents shoulders, not the teachers or the school district. Why should an already poor district fork out the extra money for after school care for HOMEwork??? Homework is just that, work at home. If it's not getting done, make the parents suffer by inconveniencing them. Then, maybe the parents will start getting more involved and making sure that their kids are getting their work done instead of out goofing around and causing problems in the neighborhood.

Something that may be a little controversial, but this school district has a minority majority population where about 85% of the students are black. Does anyone else think the Super might just be trying to refocus the kids priorities back to education instead of being out there thuggin' and druggin' by getting their parents involved? If those comments sound biased or racial, tough.....I've lived in this district in the past and KNOW that most of the kids priorities do not lie in their education.

Americans have some of the worst education systems and European and Asian countries are kicking our butts. It's time for Americans to focus more on education and less on material values. Most kids in other countries graduate speaking at least 3-4 languages other than their own.

As for the parents raising a stick about how much homework their kids are doing, what kind of message do you think that sends to your kids? Are you taking your children to these meetings with the teachers? And we wonder why teachers have such a hard time garnering the respect from the students that they deserve. That's typically why there is so much homework, because the teachers have to spend WAY too much time on discipline in the classrooms.

//off soapbox.

lostfaith said:
Maybe it will be productive, but I am sure the kids are enjoying the extra time off! What about making the kids stay after school until the assignments are done? I just feel if thier district is lagging behind, having the kids out of school isnt helping. My kids school did not give any assignments over the winter break. I think that was nice. Christmas is a hectic time for families, and I sure appreciated not having to worry about school work for the week after Christmas, we could just relax and have some fun.
I am sure these kids had plenty of time to get this project in.

The State of NC implemented a policy of suspensions back in the late 1970's when parents began whining over the use of corporal punishment in our school system.For the first yr or so of this policy the troublesome students loved it,just act up a tad and ya get a 10 day vacation....FUN FUN FUN.But of coarse the State soon caught on to this abuse of its policy and blended the policy into the new Attendance policies.Under the new attendance policy no child can miss more than 6 days within a 6 week period,18 days total for the yr (was thinking of lowering it to 12/yr,but unsure if they have yet.So figure a child is suspended for 10 days....this exceeds his 6 day limit and NO amount of effort on the childs part will result in a passing grade for that period.It is of no matter if the child has worked his but off and achieved a B average for that period HEFAILS due to excessive absence.The State has also refined this policy to include tardies...Show up 5 minutes late for class or school 4 times and it is counted as 1 absence for the period.Under thes various policies parents can e charged in a court of law for contributing to the delinquency of a minor,and face fines or jail time.I am currently friends with a group of people who are trying to eliminate a childs right to quit school at16,We would love to see the State make it law that without a high school diploma a person could not drive,or be eligible for employment in our State.

Linda7NJ said:
250 Students Suspended Over Homework Assignment

Officials Say More Students Could Be Suspended Tuesday

LANCASTER, Texas -- Nearly 250 Lancaster High School students were suspended for not completing a homework assignment during their winter vacation.

On Tuesday, the suspended students could be joined by hundreds of others in the district, including some kindergartners.

Lancaster's superintendent said he does not care how the public receives the suspensions. His district is underachieving academically, and if adding a punitive component to homework helps, he said it is a program possibly worth expanding.

Between 700 and 1,000 students district-wide did not finish their vacation projects, officials said. On Tuesday, the district will begin suspending students as young as 5 years old until they finish their projects.

District leaders said they have received fewer than six complaints about the suspensions.

http://www.nbc5i.com/education/5963817/detail.html

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I think it's fantastic! BRAVO to that superintendent!

It just goes to show you how UNinvolved their parents are in their children's education. If inconveniencing parents is the way to motivate them into action... so be it!
[/font]
I agree with you Linda. I can't believe some of the posts I have been reading. Education is a three way responsibility. The student, parents, and the teacher all need to be involved. Those kids were off school for over two weeks. I am sure 20-30 minutes each day would have completed the project. That is one less T.V. program a day. It looks to me like the district is BEGGING for family involvement. Parents are responsible for helping put education in its proper perspective. Sounds like many parents have their priorities mixed up.

With the small number of complaints, I am going to guess the parents or students were warned that failure to complete would result in suspension. They just figured it was a hollow threat.

Some homework during a 2 week holiday doesn't sound like any problem at all to me.

bakerprune64 said:
When my 6th grade daughter's teacher gets ready to assign projects, he sends home a note to the parents letting them know what it is, and when it's due. The parents have to sign the letter and return it to the teacher prior to the assignment. Her teacher holds her and Us (as parents) accountable for the completion of the assignments. Education is a partnership between parents, children and the teachers. Without, each one doing their part, the child will have a hard time. I prepare dinner every night with all three of the kids sitting at the dining room table with homework. And yes, while it is a huge pain, and sometimes hard to keep up witht the three of them, I know that this will only beneift them in the long run. Like I posted before, I don't agree with the out of school suspension, but after school detention would achieve the same result. The parents should have been forewarned about the assignment and it's due date.
Oh the parents knew ell in advance. Read the last paragraph:

07:03 AM CST on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

[size=-1]By HERB BOOTH / The Dallas Morning News [/size]

Lancaster schools Superintendent Larry Lewis said students should have opened more than presents during their holiday break.

He wanted them to open their books during the three-week break because he feared that some would forget things they had learned.

Between 750 and 1,000 students had not completed assigned holiday homework upon returning to school Monday, and hundreds of them were suspended. There are about 5,770 students in the Lancaster school district.

Phillip Randall, principal at Lancaster Elsie Robertson High School, said he suspended more than 200 of its approximately 1,700 students and told them not to come back until they had completed the assignment.

"We had few parent complaints," Mr. Randall said Monday afternoon. "We sent those students home with a written copy of the policy."

Suspensions and incomplete project results varied widely among campuses.

At Pleasant Run Elementary, about 36 percent, or about 154 of 428 students, didn't turn in their winter break assignment.

"We're giving them until ... [today] to turn it in," said Cindy Lunch, Pleasant Run principal. "It is recorded as a major grade."

All students at two schools – Houston Elementary and Lancaster Intermediate – completed the winter break homework.

In September, about 750 junior high and high school students were suspended for failing to complete a summer reading and writing assignment.

Dr. Lewis said he would continue to order the mandatory homework during breaks until Lancaster students are reading above grade level.

"We will continue to put pressure on our students until they're competitive globally," Dr. Lewis said. "We should have zero tolerance for poor academic performance. ... They'll face the consequences later in life when they can't read or write."

Some parents are questioning whether the district is simply pulling a power play with the students.

"It seems like overkill to me," said Brian Pulver, who has one child each in sixth and seventh grades. "It seems like every chance they get, they load the children with a big assignment during vacation."

Mr. Pulver said his sixth-grader had no problems with the reading assignment during the winter break. However, he said the school district didn't prepare his seventh-grader for the thorough research needed to complete that project.

"The seventh-grader had to look up sources, use the Internet, the library, things like that. I don't know what the district is trying to pull," Mr. Pulver said.

Elementary school students had to read from a list of books and complete a task related to that book. Secondary students had to read, research and perform some activities that were geared toward their science project topic.

Board President Nannette Vick said she supports the policy and doesn't understand why students to refuse to do the work.

Nick Moore, a 17-year-old senior, said he had plenty of time to complete the assignment. He said he believes the district is trying to "weed out" students who don't want to work.

Kenneth Farr, a 17-year-old senior, said he thinks the district is trying to keep students' minds stimulated during the long breaks.

"You can see a lot of kids slip back after a long break," he said.

Dr. Lewis said parents' complaints about the lack of communication surrounding the summer assignment might have been justified. However, the winter break homework was well-publicized and on the district's Web site for the last couple of months.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/DN-suspended_10met.ART.State.Edition3.e3ebe4a.html

Yeah said:
Not true, some districts have gone to year round school. It's up to the individual district, not the state.

If kids are returning to school with unfinished assignments it lays squarely on the students and parents shoulders, not the teachers or the school district. Why should an already poor district fork out the extra money for after school care for HOMEwork??? Homework is just that, work at home. If it's not getting done, make the parents suffer by inconveniencing them. Then, maybe the parents will start getting more involved and making sure that their kids are getting their work done instead of out goofing around and causing problems in the neighborhood.

Something that may be a little controversial, but this school district has a minority majority population where about 85% of the students are black. Does anyone else think the Super might just be trying to refocus the kids priorities back to education instead of being out there thuggin' and druggin' by getting their parents involved? If those comments sound biased or racial, tough.....I've lived in this district in the past and KNOW that most of the kids priorities do not lie in their education.

Americans have some of the worst education systems and European and Asian countries are kicking our butts. It's time for Americans to focus more on education and less on material values. Most kids in other countries graduate speaking at least 3-4 languages other than their own.

As for the parents raising a stick about how much homework their kids are doing, what kind of message do you think that sends to your kids? Are you taking your children to these meetings with the teachers? And we wonder why teachers have such a hard time garnering the respect from the students that they deserve. That's typically why there is so much homework, because the teachers have to spend WAY too much time on discipline in the classrooms.

//off soapbox.
:clap: :clap: :woohoo: Well done! I agree with every single word!

Thanks Linda! I must also add that this same school district was under fire for doing the same thing after their return from summer vacation. Apparently, the students nor parents learned anything from the first round of mass suspensions.

LOL, I didn't do my homework and must have skipped that part of the article! :blushing:

Well then, there isn't any excuse for that homework not being done.:boohoo:

So many parents just assume schools will do their job for them, and don't pay any attention to their kids homework, grades, etc. The parents have to take an interest, if they want their kids to learn anything!

My mom wasn't overly involved - certainly didn't sit over us while we did our homework, but she looked over it once in awhile, helped us when we got stuck, and was on us right away for any problems with low grades! She started us out right, so it didn't seem to take much to keep us going properly as we got into higher grades.

Yeah said:

//off soapbox.

I'm assuming this is directed to me. Our son has never asked us to talk to his teacher about the amount of homework being sent home. We do not discuss it in front of him. We, as his parents, think is it obsessive (and we are not alone - MANY feel this way). He does complain about the homework, but is a good kid and is not disrespectful to us or his teachers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back