Newborn infant dies after dog attack at Ohio home
Dog Attack hub generic 640x480_20100616125913_JPG

Regular Photo Size
advertisement
alt alt alt alt
ShareThis

Posted: 9:07 AM

By: Associated Press

TOLEDO, Ohio - An Ohio coroner's investigator says a 3-day-old infant died hours after she was attacked by a family dog while sitting in a swing.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/st...s-after-dog-attack-at-Ohio-home#ixzz1vEaccLjd

I know dogs can be your best buddy, treat you better than your family members, can be the confidantes of your deepest darkest secrets, hopes, dreams and disappointments. I know dogs love us unconditionally. I have had dogs. I have mourned dogs I've lost.

But they are animals. They are not humans. They can lash out without warning, due to illness, fear, a real or perceived threat, or just being...an animal. Such a senseless tragedy that could have been avoided.

Is a 3 day old infant even old enough to be in a swing?

Just hearing a 3 day old infant was left in a swing near a dog without supervision when the parents haven't even had the time to see how the newborn and dog mix makes me furious.

I was just going to say the same thing Cubby (re: 3 day old in a swing)...

Did I read that right?

Dog alone in room with newborn, what parent's would do that?

I just want to throttle people. I truly do. How many of these stories have to happen before people "get it"?

Who puts a 3 day old baby in a swing?

Really?

I'm in shock!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

This is so horrible. Once my daughter was around 3 months my mom visited me. I went and took a shower and when I came out my mom was washing my dishes and just left my daughter on her back on the living room floor. I had 6 yr old pit that I trust but I don't trust that much, I wouldn't trust any dog you never know when something could happen. Anyways I told my mom that we don't leave babies unattended with dogs. But really we don't leave babies unattended.

:heartbeat: :baby: :heartbeat:

Is a 3 day old infant even old enough to be in a swing?

Just hearing a 3 day old infant was left in a swing near a dog without supervision when the parents haven't even had the time to see how the newborn and dog mix makes me furious.

It makes my blood boil also! How sad and neglectful!

I noticed that names of parents were not provided. So, no way to deternine history in court records. These parents should not be surprised if they receive a visit from LE with charges of neglect or child endangerment!

RIP baby girl.

This is the second swing attack I have read about this year.

I think I will get my dog used to a baby swing before we put a baby in one now,but I wouldnt walk out of the room without taking the baby or dog with me after reading these stories. I am almost positive I have left a room that contained a dog and a baby in a swing when my oldest was an infant. I know I did when my youngest was an infant

The article said the attack was only seconds.I am sure they never ever thought this would happen.

I have 2- yorkies and would never leave them alone with an infant. And I don't think they could kill an infant but not never being around they might hurt/bite a baby cause they have no idea what it is. Neither of my dogs have ever bitten any one or other animals they have been around.
People Are so stupid and now the dog will have to be put down when it wasn't the dog's fault.
I am not a fan of pits but feel like they do get a bad rap, when I know people with pits that are totally harmless cause they have been trained. But I personally don't trust them!

A three day old baby should be in a safe crib, away from all animals, OR in a family members arms. But no swings at that age, imo. They are too fragile for that, JMO.

There are swings made specifically for newborns up to twenty-five pounds these days. You can lean them back and the swings have speed settings. I would have lost my mind had I not had one for my son and he's almost ten (he was colicky).

Now the dog being alone with the baby is a whole 'nother issue. Definitely a bad idea.

Discuiseduser0308 you beat me to the punch. My comment was The swing may have been an infant cradle swing like I bought my granddaughter. (See Fisher-Price Papasan Cradle Swing as an example) .They are for newborns but no one thinking of safety would have it in the same room with a dog, unattended.

:heartbeat: :baby: :heartbeat:

It makes my blood boil also! How sad and neglectful!

I noticed that names of parents were not provided. So, no way to deternine history in court records. These parents should not be surprised if they receive a visit from LE with charges of neglect or child endangerment!
RIP baby girl.

Updated link wirh names of Baby Girl and Family Members

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...d=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec3_lnk1&pLid=162348

The 3-day old baby girl who died from the dog attack was Makayke Darnell.
Mother and grandmother, who were in the house with the child at the time of the dog attack,
are reported in the link above as 22 yr old Audrianna Myers, and 44 yr old Janette Myers.
No information available on father.

Yes, I know about infant swings. I guess i am just thinking that three day olds are still a bit young for anything like that. Two weeks old, three weeks old, but three DAYS old ?

I guess that was just me, but at three days old mine were too new to do anything other than eat and sleep.lol

I have to wonder if the dog actually tried to "attack" the baby or if it tried to play with what it might have believed was a new toy. A dog biting down on the head of a 3 day old baby would be disaster even if the dog was only playing. My dogs haven't been around babies and wouldn't know not to try and play with one, just like they try to play with my cats (a bit to rough). My daughter's pit bulls just accidentally punctured a lung on her 11 week old pit bull pup--not by attackng it but trying to play with it but being too rough. The baby was too young to be in a swing and should never have been left in a room with ANY loose pet, dog or cat or snake or rat, etc.

I have to wonder if the dog actually tried to "attack" the baby or if it tried to play with what it might have believed was a new toy. A dog biting down on the head of a 3 day old baby would be disaster even if the dog was only playing. My dogs haven't been around babies and wouldn't know not to try and play with one, just like they try to play with my cats (a bit to rough). My daughter's pit bulls just accidentally punctured a lung on her 11 week old pit bull pup--not by attackng it but trying to play with it but being too rough. The baby was too young to be in a swing and should never have been left in a room with ANY loose pet, dog or cat or snake or rat, etc.

Jan, that's what I believe may have happened too ... the mother and grandmother reported they heard a "whimper" from the baby while they were in the kitchen a few feet away. It's just very sad to think the dog will now have to be put to sleep ... a photo of the dog is on the link I provided ... he is a beautiful black and white pit bull mix. :(

Dang, How many more children will die before people finally get the point and don;t leave innocent, helpless children where they can be attacked by animals?

This case is particularly ridiculous because there is no way a dog that size should be running loose with a 3 day old baby in the house, especially if that baby is not being tended to and within eyesight of a responsible adult. But i guess "responsible adult" is the key word here.

Maybe I am being to harsh on the adult in the situation but I don't think so. I just get tired of hearing about dogs attacking and killing children. My SIL is STILL traumatized to this day over the horrific injuries that she saw when she responded to a call that 3 dogs had attacked and killed a 3 year old in his own yard right by his mom. I think the adults in this situation need to be charged with negligence at least.

Geez, maybe we should make parents watch a looong video and read and sign off on a long list of "don'ts" before they get to take their babies home. There is so much you would think would just be common sense but sadly, *common sense nowadays is so rare it should be considered a superpower*

*(a current popular comment on FB these days, not my own words)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back