$350,000 retainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like at least one attorney somewhere would do it for free... being that it would come with priceless publicity.

But anywho, I also agree that the "350,000" is not accurate. I think she may been exaggerating...

Oh, I could definitely see an outstanding criminal defense lawyer getting that kind of money. I just don't see TH paying it without some wealthy benefactor.

btw- I'm kind of regretting not going to law school myself now. :) I remember thinking at the time that all that work wouldn't be worth it.

I have heard of attorneys that can charge that and more but I just have a problem of where the $ came from.

IIRC the communication was in a text so maybe she added too many zeros. But on the flipside I believe $35,000 would be too a low retainer for this type of high profile case with the potential charges that may ultimately be charged.

So in this case it very well may be correct and where did the $ come from?
I do not blame Kaine one bit for wanting to know as well.

jmho

I'm guessing the money came from family,parents etc. I've never heard anything much about TH's extended family... Might it be possible that they would be able to raise that kind of money ?

Actually,this is a very interesting area to speculate about. TH has been so silent. She and her counsel have allowed people to trash her.In print. I'm just wondering if she can actually prove her innocence, or that she and her counsel know that there is nothing to prove that she is guilty. Two different things,IMO

Could legal fees be based on future libel law suits. And law suits against the school district ? They do take a long time to settle, but maybe TH's counsel believes she would ultimately win in court....

All JMO

Does this mean no abatement?

I'm confused about this as well. Didn't they file for the abatement, presumably, so that there would be no opportunity for her to take the stand? I haven't heard anything yea or nay about the judge's ruling on the abatement request.

Wouldn't the amount paid to an attorney fall under attorney-client privelege?

Wouldn't the amount paid to an attorney fall under attorney-client privelege?

Not once it is discussed with third party, which is what happened when TH texted the amount to MC.

At the end of the article:

**Reliable sources told KGW that investigators said there was probable cause to arrest Terri in connection with Kyron's disappearance, and for soliciting someone to kill her husband, but the choice has been for the investigation to continue. **

I don't really get that, to be honest (maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but it's in the same article) - they make it sound like an arrest would preclude further investigation? Or maybe it would shorten the time they had to continue investigating? Weirdly stated.

Reliable sources.....LOL Are these "reliable sources" other than KH's court papers and TH's two friends who alledged that LE told them they had "probable cause" to arrest TH.

Seriously, two different cases....MFH and Kyron. If they had probable cause in the MFH, they would arrest her as a way to apply pressure in Kyron.

IMO, the MFH is a throwaway case. By throwaway I mean a minor case that could be used for a major case...Kyron. I find it extremely hard to believe that they would not willing to make an arrest in a minor case if they could.

Interesting the person she told about the 350K is M. Cook. according to this article. I hadn't seen that confirmed before now. Of course it doesn't say who the source is.

In that same paragraph it says that she was sending the text messages to MC in June.

How would MC know how much TH paid her attorney before she hired him?

Do Attorneys request a percentage down for their retainer fee or does one just sign the dotted line with promise to pay? Honestly I don't care if it was 350 grand or 50 grand I would want to know where the monies came from as well. IMO Kaine is getting some very smart advise.
Do her parents have money? Did they put up their house? I'm sure those questions will be asked at the hearing. What scares me is if there is no money trail and she indeed handed over a substantial amount of money..... I just don't even want to go there.

Is Terri now entitled to poke to Kaine's finances and how much he has paid his attorney? Is his lawyer doing it pro-bono?

In that same paragraph it says that she was sending the text messages to MC in June.

How would MC know how much TH paid her attorney before she hired him?

On June 28 the notice to seal the restraining order was signed by the judge. On June 29 there was a motion to unseal the retraining order.

It is stated in the contempt order that on June 28th Terri showed the RO to Michael Cook, he took pictures etc.. And that soon after they began an intimate relationship of texting etc. It stated on or about June 30th 4 days after Kaine had vacated the home with minor child K this intimate relationship began.

The date that Terri hired her Attorney was June 30th. That was the night Houze was seen leaving her home. The media reported on it July 1 and June 30 and one media source actually showed a picture of Houze at the gate of the Horman residence.

July 12th is when the contempt motion was filed. So it all happened very end of June beginning of July before it was exposed by the filing of the contempt order on July 12.

Terri would have had 2 weeks to tell M.Cook what she had paid for her attorney.

So did she tell him this back in sexting days? Methinks were I Terri, I would assume at this point that anything sent to him is relayed to LE and eventually Kaine... actually I'd have assumed that back when the first article hit that he was sharing the contents of his phone with LE and denying he'd slept with her.

I guess if she retained her attorney at the end of June (he confirmed it on the 30th?) was that before sextgate? I think so.

Said this in another thread...maybe it will get a laugh here. :waitasec:

"Originally Posted by PoppyH
No, we haven't seen the text, nor any amount, could be anywhere from 350.00 to 350,000, guess it depends on who you hear the story from LOL"

Now that I have thought about it...it also depends a lot on when this number popped up...

For example: if the were sexting it could have been two completely different thoughts oh yeah $350<number letters> OOO, one more picture.

Just sayin'...

Said this in another thread...maybe it will get a laugh here. :waitasec:

"Originally Posted by PoppyH
No, we haven't seen the text, nor any amount, could be anywhere from 350.00 to 350,000, guess it depends on who you hear the story from LOL"

Now that I have thought about it...it also depends a lot on when this number popped up...

For example: if the were sexting it could have been two completely different thoughts oh yeah $350<number letters> OOO, one more picture.

Just sayin'...

I think this phone stuff is starting to drive some of us barking mad!
girl_phone1.gif
Like me, myself, and I.

Do Attorneys request a percentage down for their retainer fee or does one just sign the dotted line with promise to pay? Honestly I don't care if it was 350 grand or 50 grand I would want to know where the monies came from as well. IMO Kaine is getting some very smart advise.
Do her parents have money? Did they put up their house? I'm sure those questions will be asked at the hearing. What scares me is if there is no money trail and she indeed handed over a substantial amount of money..... I just don't even want to go there.

I have limited knowledge of retainers, so maybe someone can correct me or add to my response. My experience with retaining legal services for a custody battle was that the retainer was paid, in entirety. The attorney used money from the retainer as expenses occurred. The retainer was not a guarantee that expenses wouldn't go over that amount either. More money might be needed. Any money that was not used would be refunded.

Some people also retain legal services on a yearly basis. Works basically the same way. They try to estimate how much they will use during the year.

I believe that some attorneys might let you make payments on your retainer, but I don't personally know any that have done that so I don't know how common that arrangement is.

I have limited knowledge of retainers, so maybe someone can correct me or add to my response. My experience with retaining legal services for a custody battle was that the retainer was paid, in entirety. The attorney used money from the retainer as expenses occurred. The retainer was not a guarantee that expenses wouldn't go over that amount either. More money might be needed. Any money that was not used would be refunded.

Some people also retain legal services on a yearly basis. Works basically the same way. They try to estimate how much they will use during the year.

I believe that some attorneys might let you make payments on your retainer, but I don't personally know any that have done that so I don't know how common that arrangement is.

My daughter is doing that with her divorce attorney here in CA. So far she has paid a little over $22,000.00 and they are a little more than half way finished. I do think the biggest chunk though has been paid.

350k for an attorney....

If that is the cases, and not an exaggeration by Terri Horman (tryin' to be a big shot, or something, I dunno!) then I need to take my law school plans back off the shelf.

I don't know why, but after he filed for the R/O and divorce, I keep thinking that whatever cash she acquired after that date, is no longer his concern.. and vice versa.

I was thinking that she probably got a loan or gift from family/friends to pay for her lawyer. So either way, loan/gift wouldn't mean he would be entitled to it, I would think.. since she retained him after the crap hit the fan.

I've heard others say she may have sold her story rights, I guess that is possible, but I just don't see her as being that dumb... After all the things that have been said or written about her, I don't see why she would want the word GREEDY attached also.

I could be wrong of course! Wouldn't be the first time.. (but possibly the second) :p

In the scheme of it..for her..being called greedy is nothing lol

I called my best friend, who by the way, would stand by me if I was accused of a serious crime. She works for a criminal attorney who does take murder cases and I asked for her input. She stated that the attorney she works for would request a retainer for the investigative phase, which is where things appear to be in this case. She thought that $35,000 would be reasonable and that would not include private investigators or any other expenses. These would be added to the $35,000 and would be billed to the client. Her boss would not ask for a retainer fee of $350,000 if there were no charges and she thought it would not be ethical to do so. The contract would state that if any charges were filed, they would be addressed at that time. She also told me of a murder case where a person waived her rights to a jury trial and appeared before a judge instead. She was convicted, even though it was self defense. He told her boss that it could be construed as racially motivated so he convicted her because it was an election year and he did not want to lose votes. I find that very scary.

I know I am being naive, but I just wish one thing could be handled simply in this case. I.e. why can't Terri just allow her attorney to tell Kaine what the real amount is, where it came from and be done with it...I doubt very much the amount stated is even close and this could be settled very easily. It is just...stupid.

Is Terri now entitled to poke to Kaine's finances and how much he has paid his attorney? Is his lawyer doing it pro-bono?

Yes, she is. They are married and going through a divorce, and disclosure of finances is normal and standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie