4 kittens pull 'break-in' at upstate NY prison

Backwoods

Reaction score
4 kittens pull 'break-in' at upstate NY prison

...FORT ANN, N.Y. -- A litter of kittens has found a cozy home in the least cozy of places - a maximum-security prison in upstate New York.
read more at: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/.../4-kittens-pull-break-in-at-upstate-NY-prison

Bless these little ones -- hope they will soon be "paroled"!

More:

Kittens break in to prison, overpower staff with cuteness

...Employees have chipped in for food and the Granville Veterinary Clinic has offered medical services at low cost. The state has helped provide food and flea and tick medicine when the kitten funds fall short, according to Jeffrey Lindstrand, deputy superintendent of administration.

The kittens were in tough shape when they were discovered. They had to be bathed in Ivory soap to get rid of “hundreds” of fleas, and dewormed.They were fed milk through baby bottles.

Their primary caretaker, head electrician Bruce Porter, comes in about an hour before his shift begins each day to tend to them. ...
more at: http://poststar.com/news/local/kitt...cle_900d49b6-7d55-11e3-8488-0019bb2963f4.html

I would hope that the kittens would be allowed to stay. I have a loved one who is temporarily incarcerated and one of the things that is a bright spot in their day is the presence of a few wild kitties who have found their way onto the grounds and are well fed by the inmates.

I have also seen on episodes of "locked up", there are some cats that have made the prison their home and one cat "MamaCat" is legendary because she simply cannot be caught. Well, not more than once anyway, lol, she was caught once, spayed and sent elsewhere, only to return again, much to the inmate's delight. The inmates cheered for MamaCat as they watched the prison staff try to catch her and laugh about how she evades their every attempt. MamaCat was legendary because all the inmates want out and here is MamaCat who refuses to leave.

It was a sweet sight to see the rough inmates cheering for MamaCat and telling how they save bits of their meal to give to her (She looked well fed, for sure). They seem to really love MamaCat and were protective of her. NO doubt they would make sure that no one was allowed to abuse her or be mean to her.

I wish the prison would have the kitties fixed, vaccinated and cared for and allowed to stay. Many inmates are so isolated form the small joys in life and having an animal to interact with can be such a therapeutic thing.

I'm all for the cats staying. Heck, they can do double duty, provide companionship to inmates (and/or learning to be gentle and caring for inmates), and become rodent patrol. As long as no one is allowed to be cruel to them! (This is a max-security prison after all.) Some prisons allow dog petting visits, or even dog training for the dogs that are eventually with the handicapped, so why not cats to visit?

Love the story of the infamous inmate MomaCat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back