4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would they enter them into evidence if nothing is found or return them?
I think everything taken is logged as evidence as the first step, whether anything probative is found on/in it later or not. But this is way out of my area; we're going to need someone with more knowledge about LE procedure.

MOO

EDIT: This is probably relevant, but it's over seventy pages, so get yourself a cup of tea first if you feel like reading up on electronics and digital evidence.

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/219941.pdf

Last edited:
I think everything taken is logged as evidence as the first step, whether anything probative is found on/in it later or not. But this is way out of my area; we're going to need someone with more knowledge about LE procedure.

MOO
I remember there was a verified ex Fed Investigator or similar commenting on earlier threads. MOO.Would be great to have input from somone in the know IMO.

I remember there was a verified ex Fed Investigator or similar commenting on earlier threads. MOO.Would be great to have input from somone in the know IMO.
I found a link to a handbook by the DOJ about digital and electronic evidence collection, and added it above. ^^^

MOO

I think the problem I have with the subterfuge theory is that nothing else we have seen from this case has suggested any degree of complexity, planning or forethought beyond 'watch a house of young people on and off for a while, late at night, then break in while they're sleeping and kill them'. This wasn't a diamond heist or a confidence trick. It was brutal, sloppy, and in my opinion, solitary.

MOO
I completely get where you are coming from, and I agree, but I do believe there has been some cyber subterfuge at some point in BK life. I feel he has an online persona that has been very in the thick of it. I wouldn't be surprised if he grew more confident from it and used it in a local student setting. I am at the tail end of Gen X, and I grew up with a technophilic parent who always had the latest, most expensive mod cons. So I had the chance to experience computers and consoles before many of my peers. I have also seen my five kids grow up since the mid '90s, and I have seen how technology has shaped them.
BK is nine months younger than my eldest child and just over a year older than my second eldest, the same age range as Justin Bieber. A millennial.

KG is the same age as my oldest-middle child, 21 this year.
Gen Z, I have another Gen Z, too, 18 this year.

The two Gen Z of my children both grew up with the internet in their homes and lives and just got more involved with it as they hit adolescence. They both knew how to use a computer and mouse at age 5.
I have a Gen Alpha, too, but that's not relevant here.

BK is a millennial, and the four victims were Gen Z.

In terms of cultural advancement over the past 20 years, they are different.

The victims were from selfie culture, posting EVERYTHING online for likes, views, etc.
BK exploited that.
JMO

I found a link to a handbook by the DOJ about digital and electronic evidence collection, and added it above. ^^^
Yea, thanks for linking that! Believe it or not I've already skimmed it! It really talks about storing physical stuff like computer hardware, cables, preserving prints on mice that kind of stuff. Really interesting. In the case of warrants where LE here have downloaded dig evidence from Google, Financial institutions etc, the article would apply to how LE store that (ie on a drive of their own, one of those stick things, in the cloud?, there needs to be foolproof back up)....

I've been trying for some time to find refs related to, I guess, investigative procedure re what is stored after a warrant is returned. From what I can gather from those warrants I've studied, Mr Mowbry always notes that so and so was downloaded, put on one of those stick things (?) and placed in evidence at MPD (paraphrasing if that isn't obvious). This is a guess but reasonable I think - not everything in that evidence room will make it into trial. I think all on the returned inventory is probably stored then some of it -especially complex digi evidence - is analysed by investigators as to its potential value for the prosecution. Exculpatory evidence, I believe, has to be kept and handed over though that is MOO too.

EBM: grammar/typos

Last edited:
Yea, thanks for linking that! Believe it or not I've already skimmed it! It really talks about storing physical stuff like computer hardware, cables, preserving prints on mice that kind of stuff. Really interesting. In the case of warrants where LE here have downloaded dig evidence from Google, Financial institutions etc, the article would apply to how LE store that (ie on a drive of their own, one of those stick things, in the cloud?, there needs to be foolproof back up)....

I've been trying for some time to find refs related to, I guess, investigative procedure re what is stored after a warrant is returned. From what I can gather from those warrants I've studied, Mr Mowbry always notes that so and so was downloaded, put on one of thsoe stick things (?) and placed in evidence at MPD (paraphrasing id that isn't obvious). This is a guess but reasonable I think, that not everything in that evidence room will make it into trial. I think all on the returned inventory is probably stored then for some of it, especially complex digi evidence, is then analysed by investigators as to its potential value for the prosecution. Exculpatory evidence, I belivee has to be kept and handed over though that is MOO too.
I think the prosecution has to hand over all evidence to the defense, whether it is used by the prosecution or not, and whether it is exculpatory evidence or not. The defense might find it useful for their case, even if the prosecution finds it ultimately to be irrelevant. JMO since I am not a legal expert.

I think the prosecution has to hand over all evidence to the defense, whether it is used by the prosecution or not, and whether it is exculpatory evidence or not. The defense might find it useful for their case, even if the prosecution finds it ultimately to be irrelevant. JMO since I am not a legal expert.
That's what happens in discovery right? Makes complete sense.

Would they enter them into evidence if nothing is found or return them?
Not sure, but in the case say of physical hardware, for e.g., KG's work computer, my guess would be that everything relevant is downloaded and put into evidence on MPD digital storage device and the computer/laptop itself would be returned to the company. MOO. Could be the same for the victim's personal devices I'd say. I'm sure though, there must be some procedures for this somewhere that are publicly available. MOO and looking in spare time.
They can and very well may have even taken the devices of BK's family members in PA. LE can use anything they find as evidence. Seizing the devices of family members, partners, roommates ... it happens. Whether the computer(s) and/or phone(s) are returned is another issue.

I have a bit of past indirect experience with this type of thing. Even when devices are taken from innocent and/or peripheral people it can be a challenge to have the devices returned. Obviously, this is the type of case that you'd really hope anyone would want to help solve--especially people close enough to the victims who LE would for whatever reason want their devices. JMO JME

I’m completely off topic here. Im still trying to figure out if I believe BK went to kill one particular victim and he was thrown off by K and M being in the same room, and X and E were happened upon as well or, he was there with the intention of killing whomever he came across. I usually have a gut feeling for these kinds of things, and most of the time it is telling me he went in for only one. But, why did he not just leave when he realized the girls were in the same bed. I wonder if one of them saw him? Guess we’ll never really know unless BK confesses and gives all of the details.

I’m completely off topic here. Im still trying to figure out if I believe BK went to kill one particular victim and he was thrown off by K and M being in the same room, and X and E were happened upon as well or, he was there with the intention of killing whomever he came across. I usually have a gut feeling for these kinds of things, and most of the time it is telling me he went in for only one. But, why did he not just leave when he realized the girls were in the same bed. I wonder if one of them saw him? Guess we’ll never really know unless BK confesses and gives all of the details.
In my opinion, by the time he'd entered that house and was standing over them with a knife, he'd crossed a whole bunch of ethical boundaries that keep the majority of the population from committing violent crimes against others. Was he dismayed the moment he saw two of them? Or was he excited? Whatever he felt, it didn't dissuade him. Quite the opposite.

MOO

I've been thinking it's the former (went to kill one and thrown off by K & M being in the same bed). X & E were only because she was awake.

Guess we’ll never really know unless BK confesses and gives all of the details.
Been thinking a lot about whether we will really ever know all of the details, too. But I think at least the fact that LE pegged this as a targeted attack and who that target was will have to be addressed at trial. We may be pleasantly surprised by all that LE gathered before, during and after the arrest of BK. JMO

I'm going to bed tonight remembering that to the victim's families, the target of these crimes matters little when all four were lost. This crime quickly became so sensationalized and I'm grateful to this site and the majority of the commenters here, some educated in a variety of fields lending expertise; many with fresh perspectives on the info that slowly but surely trickles in; the friendly discourse, even between people who disagree.

This case is most people's worst nightmare; most women's nightmare to be honest. I think poor Ethan was at the place he felt safe at the wrong time.

Snipped by me. The new job was in TX, not back home. IMO, why she left is still a mystery. IIRC, she left mid-semester. Sounded strange at the time and stranger now. MOO.
Didn't she leave to complete an internship, maybe at the place that ultimately offered her a paying job? I don't have a link, but that's my memory of why she hadn't been in residence for the entire term.

But, why did he not just leave when he realized the girls were in the same bed. I wonder if one of them saw him? Guess we’ll never really know unless BK confesses and gives all of the details.
I should think that by the time he was in the room he was so hyped up that aborting his plans and just leaving was well nigh impossible. Not that I think he even tried.

Yep. And it gives a person cover to approach a front door, even ring the doorbell, in order to find uninhabited houses. That's why so many people in my neighborhood have cameras now, because there were all these break-in's that occurred while people were on vacation, or in our case, while we were at work (our schedules are public). The actual breach to the house occurred from the back yard - someone jumped the fence south of our back yard - from the neighbors' back yard. And what they stole was mainly identity documents, which we didn't realize at the time. We did eventually get a picture of the culprit (who was going through our mail) but LE would not prosecute. The person's image matched the footprints in our back yard and we knew exactly who it was. Our recording's time stamp was in error because this person killed power to the house before entering (our main boxes are all on the outside back of our houses - we now have a padlock on ours.

Sigh.

I still think BK had a pattern of hot prowling and perhaps a little B & E or at least peeping. OTOH, maybe he just went to social events and lurked on the fringes. He knew he had criminal intentions. He was using his studies to help himself, as many many people do. When his school world hit the skids, he lost his mind (what was left of a functioning adult mind). Gosh, I'd love to get him in one of those SPECT machines.

IMO.

Also, if BK was using illegal substances that need to be purchased on the streets, they don't come cheap. Whether it's steroids, weed, or harder stuff. So he may have been an habitual prowler whilst looking for things of value to fund a drug habit in the first instance. Just speculation.

What do we know about BK's financial situation? How did he fund his lifestyle and PhD studies?

Or he could be asking if there were any other suspects or just him…I.e. are the police focusing on me or are they looking at others as well? JMO
If he said it at all, then I'm of the same opinon as you on this one. A general enquiry about whether there were any other suspects. Not 100% convinced that he actually asked though. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle