4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I think initially we all thought one would only need an account with Square if one was a merchant, as Square's only product/service was that little plastic square :cool: used to accept credit card payments. But once we learned that Square is now Block and that they are the parent company for several apps including very-common CashApp, I think that mystery dissolved, as it would not be surprising for most college age folks to have a CashApp account. MOO
BBM: I agree with you in regards to the "Block" Warrant as listed. Although the complete PC Affadavit and Return of Inventory remain sealed, there are small clues that Investigators were after Cash App records in the parts that were unsealed. MOO.

Point three of Lawrence Mowery's umbrella affadavit reads:
"...(3)On 11/19/22, I obtained a search warrant for Block (Cashapp);..."
and Point five then reads
"...(5)On 11/20/22, I received an e—mail from Block (Cashapp) which contained the requested information;..."

Is there an article I can look at for what SG said? In the meantime, I will try to find. I would be most interested to know how SG 'knew' these attempts had been made specifically by BK.

ETA: I have looked for articles wherein SG said BK's phone had tried to connect to 1122's internet.. not successful.. horrible sleuther.. can someone please lead me to those articles? TIA!!
It was in an interview. Here is a link to it being discussed. That should get you started. I remember a lot of discussion back around that time in the threads, talking about how far a wifi signal could carry. I googled SG's name, phone and wifi and it came up on google. The words in quotes I see were "touching into their wifi".

Going way off topic here, but anyone want to speculate as to the whereabouts of the knife? I realize the river is the obvious choice, but my gut is telling me he did not dispose of the weapon in that way. I’m thinking he made a specific hiding place for the weapon. maybe somewhere at the University?

Your post made me recall Idaho Fish and Game mentioned in the States response to request for discovery. Page 2

In addition, deputies and officers from the Latah County Sheriffs Office, Idaho State Police, Moscow Police Department, Idaho Fish and Game and other law enforcement agencies may record their law enforcement contacts via an audio recorder or audio/video recorder. Any audio and video recordings related to this matter are available for review and duplication on request, subject to the provisions of I.C.R. 16(b )(9).

Speaking of TOD... please enlighten me if there has indeed been a report from the ME who performed the autopsy and estimated the TOD. I would think it might be fairly easy to determine, considering they know that Kernodle had ordered takeout (and know what she ordered) which was delivered at 4am.. and from the progression of digestion.. and if they assume she ate it fairly soon after arrival, should be fairly close estimate?
As far as I know, the autopsy reports by the ME have not been made public at this point in time. MOO

Forgive me if this has been covered previously, I have not noticed anything.

Has anyone noticed on the PCA, the following. Just a mistake? Were one or other of the numbers on one or other of the various records transposed or.. not noticed that they were different? How do we know? Out of the entire PCA, it is only two times this discrepancy is found (out of 41), both times when discussing the phone's use of cellular resources which provided coverage to the murder house. imo.:

One of these occasions, on August 21,2022, the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence from approximately 10:34 p.m. to 11:35 p.m. At approximately 11:37 p.m., Kohberger was stopped by Latah County Sheriffs Deputy CPL Duke, as mentioned above. The 8548 Phone was utilizing cellular resources consistent with the location of the traffic stop during this time (Farm Road and Pullman Highway).

and

Further analysis of the cellular data provided showed the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources on November 13, 2022 consistent with the Phone travelling from Pullman, Washington to Lewiston, Idaho via US Highway 195. At approximately 12:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that would provide coverage to Kate's Cup of Joe coffee stand located at 810 Port Drive, Clarkston, WA. Surveillance footage from the US Chefs Store located at 820 Port Drive, Clarkston, WA and adjacent to Kate's Cup of Joe showed a white Elantra, consistent with Suspect Vehicle 1, drive past Kate's Cup of Joe at a time consistent with the cellular data from the 8548 Phone.
The first (unbolded by you) is likely a typo. The PCA is quite unambiguous, IMO, that LE acquired two warrants from AT&T on 23 DEC for one phone number known as BK's via the traffic stop records (21 August). There are a few typos in the PCA. MOO

I looked at Dropbox and can see the potential for them having a good idea of what they would find. Since they went to the source, I guess it wouldn't have mattered if BK had deleted the information from his devices. (Although he might not have.)
I did a little Dropbox research myself and if you google DropBox when to get a warrant and variations on that, you'll find lots of helpful info imo jmo ime.

It is possible that the information was put into Dropbox by a CI. LE would have to get a warrant (and it would be smart anyway imo jmo). That's just one possibility imo jmo. It's probably not BK's Dropbox account or his name would be on the warrant imo jmo.

Do we have proof that the door was open that morning? I know a neighbor said it was, but has that been confirmed? IIRC, it was attempted earlier but no one could find a picture or any statements confirming? MOOooo

I actually thought it was in the LE pressers from early on, but looks like I'm wrong. Looks like it's only the report of a neighbor. So YMMV in terms of believing it or not.

Forgive me if this has been covered previously, I have not noticed anything.

Has anyone noticed on the PCA, the following. Just a mistake? Were one or other of the numbers on one or other of the various records transposed or.. not noticed that they were different? How do we know? Out of the entire PCA, it is only two times this discrepancy is found (out of 41), both times when discussing the phone's use of cellular resources which provided coverage to the murder house. imo.:

One of these occasions, on August 21,2022, the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence from approximately 10:34 p.m. to 11:35 p.m. At approximately 11:37 p.m., Kohberger was stopped by Latah County Sheriffs Deputy CPL Duke, as mentioned above. The 8548 Phone was utilizing cellular resources consistent with the location of the traffic stop during this time (Farm Road and Pullman Highway).

and

Further analysis of the cellular data provided showed the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources on November 13, 2022 consistent with the Phone travelling from Pullman, Washington to Lewiston, Idaho via US Highway 195. At approximately 12:36 p.m., the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources that would provide coverage to Kate's Cup of Joe coffee stand located at 810 Port Drive, Clarkston, WA. Surveillance footage from the US Chefs Store located at 820 Port Drive, Clarkston, WA and adjacent to Kate's Cup of Joe showed a white Elantra, consistent with Suspect Vehicle 1, drive past Kate's Cup of Joe at a time consistent with the cellular data from the 8548 Phone.
One of them is a typo, could be 8548 on a second reading but not sure. If the last digits are listed anywhere amongst the relevant BK warrants that might confirm which it is. MOO

This is a pretty comprehensive article on the case just published in the East Idaho News.

Search warrants detail how police tracked U of I murder suspect. Here’s all you need to know - East Idaho News

Regarding the "cell phone pings" and locational accuracy that keep coming up on these threads, it indicates the "exact position" of a cellphone is unknown in that area, so unless there is additional electronic forensic analysis LE has done that could come up at trial (such as further "triangulation" processes in the AT&T network), it is what it is, IMO - BK's cell phone was in the "general area" at those times, but has not been definitively placed at King Rd, which is just fine as a point to argue in front of the jury, IMO:

"Moscow police used cellphone service data and security cameras throughout Moscow and Pullman to follow Kohberger’s suspected activities before and after the stabbings. According to cellphone pings at nearby cellular towers, Kohberger had visited the King Road area 12 times before the weekend the killings occurred, police say.

But according to telecommunications expert and former electrical engineer Ben Levitan, whom the Statesman interviewed, cellphone records can provide only someone’s estimated location, not pinpoint an exact location. Levitan said that the nearest cell tower to the King Road home covers an area of 27.3 square miles, so while cellphone data can show Kohberger switching between a tower that services Moscow and one that services Pullman, it doesn’t show his exact position.
"

This is a pretty comprehensive article on the case just published in the East Idaho News.

Search warrants detail how police tracked U of I murder suspect. Here’s all you need to know - East Idaho News

Regarding the "cell phone pings" and locational accuracy that keep coming up on these threads, it indicates the "exact position" of a cellphone is unknown in that area, so unless there is additional electronic forensic analysis LE has done that could come up at trial (such as further "triangulation" processes in the AT&T network), it is what it is, IMO - BK's cell phone was in the "general area" at those times, but has not been definitively placed at King Rd, which is just fine as a point to argue in front of the jury, IMO:

"Moscow police used cellphone service data and security cameras throughout Moscow and Pullman to follow Kohberger’s suspected activities before and after the stabbings. According to cellphone pings at nearby cellular towers, Kohberger had visited the King Road area 12 times before the weekend the killings occurred, police say.

But according to telecommunications expert and former electrical engineer Ben Levitan, whom the Statesman interviewed, cellphone records can provide only someone’s estimated location, not pinpoint an exact location. Levitan said that the nearest cell tower to the King Road home covers an area of 27.3 square miles, so while cellphone data can show Kohberger switching between a tower that services Moscow and one that services Pullman, it doesn’t show his exact position.
"

That's significant IMO.

Going way off topic here, but anyone want to speculate as to the whereabouts of the knife? I realize the river is the obvious choice, but my gut is telling me he did not dispose of the weapon in that way. I’m thinking he made a specific hiding place for the weapon. maybe somewhere at the University?
Yea, I remember there being some discussion over the threads about where the knife may have been ditched (if the alleged killer ditched it at all) and some folk did speculate the Snake River as BK was down that way on afternoon of 13th Nov as per PCA. But there's also a block of time that evening from about 5.30ish to 8.30pm where his phone stops reporting to the network when pinging off towers near Johston (ID or WA - can't remember which) (also in PCA). This happens to coincide with part of his route back towards Moscow between approx 4.50am and 5.30isham earlier that morning. I had an idea that maybe he spotted somewhere to ditch/hide weopen in the early am and returned to do that in the eve. The area around Johnston is pretty rural and vast. It would be dark by 5.30pm? If he was in that area for a few hours perhaps some remote/off the grid car cleaning on some rural track could even work. Just pure speculation! There could be any number of reasons for his phone disconnecting at that time and there is nothing further in the PCA re where BK was when he reconnected again. MOO

Edited to correct typo in text re times.

Thank you so much! Personally, I can't consider that as fact. And if it were to be accepted as fact then the door is open before BK's 8458 number begins pinging off Moscow Cell towers. Per PCA, BK's phone was pinging in Moscow closer to 9am that morning from memory (cannot recall but it wasn't 8.30am). If it's true then more likely, MOO, that a downstairs housemate (BF?) opened the door for an unknown amount of time for some reason. It was cold so may not have been for long (speculation but makes sense IMO).

All the aricle says is
"The unnamed neighbor in Moscow, Idaho, told Fox News that the front door of the three-floor home wasn’t shut around 8:30 a.m. Nov. 13."

Doesn't say it was open at 9am or for how long the door "wasn't shut" or when the door was opened.

Thank you for posting. I listened to the report and IMO, the heading of the tweet is at total odds with the reporter's verbal report which is very vague and IMO sheds no further light on the matter at all. MOO
You're welcome. This issue (whether & when the front door was open several hours after LE has identified the timeframe during which the murders occurred) seems like some others in this case from the early days after the murders that ended up being garbled and/or a rumor and/or something that was "deemphasized" due to no LE corroboration, and the initial sources discussing it online (MSM) I thought I saw (including a photo of the open front door with the victims vehicles parked in front and snow on the ground) are no longer available, IMO.

However, if the front door was open as a neighbor stated, it doesn't discount the possibility that the suspected killer (BK) did leave the front door open at the time of the murders/upon exit from the house for a reason or reasons that would be pure speculation at this point, IMO.

It was in an interview. Here is a link to it being discussed. That should get you started. I remember a lot of discussion back around that time in the threads, talking about how far a wifi signal could carry. I googled SG's name, phone and wifi and it came up on google. The words in quotes I see were "touching into their wifi".

Thanks. Looks like I'm not able to see the '48 Hours' interview, apparently because I'm in the wrong country. Does anyone know of another site/account which may have published that interview?

However, if the front door was open as a neighbor stated, it doesn't discount the possibility that the suspected killer (BK) did leave the front door open at the time of the murders/upon exit from the house for a reason or reasons that would be pure speculation at this point, IMO.
If he left through the front door, that would mean that when DM saw him heading toward the kitchen, he would have immediately turned around and headed directly past her door to the stairway mere seconds after she saw him. She was certainly still awake. Unless she fainted or something, she would have heard him and reported that to LE. Based on how LE described her observation of him, it doesn't sound like that's what happened.

What I can consider, personally, is that he came back in the morning, opened the front door (assuming it was unlocked), but then changed his mind and didn't enter (maybe heard sounds like someone was awake), and didn't pull the door fully shut behind him, maybe not wanting the click to be audible.

Or the time of the open door could have been misreported and it really happened after the two survivors woke and called friends to come over.

(Or some other option I haven't thought of.)

MOO

I actually thought it was in the LE pressers from early on, but looks like I'm wrong. Looks like it's only the report of a neighbor. So YMMV in terms of believing it or not.

This is a report pretty early on in the investigation, there are other articles as well. Not sure if LE commented directly or not, Ill dig some more when I have a break

You're welcome. This issue (whether & when the front door was open several hours after LE has identified the timeframe during which the murders occurred) seems like some others in this case from the early days after the murders that ended up being garbled and/or a rumor and/or something that was "deemphasized" due to no LE corroboration, and the initial sources discussing it online (MSM) I thought I saw (including a photo of the open front door with the victims vehicles parked in front and snow on the ground) are no longer available, IMO.

It can't be ruled out, you're right. Equally, there are any number of reasons why the door may have been open at 8.30am if one was to accept the neighbour story (e.g.BF may have done so for some reason).

Simply put IMOO there is very little to speculate off in this instance. The report from Fox news, when you open it and read beyond the headline is sparse and consists of one relevant line! Ditto for the NYP article (see my previous post).

The PCA suggests quite strongly (IMO) that the alleged killer exited via the slider and I'm inclined towards that idea for the time being. I'd think LE forensics would have spent some time analysing the evidence at the scene. Some of that will point towards the movements of the killer. MOO. But we won't know much about that until prelim or trial probably.

EBM: Added ref to NYP article.

Last edited:
This is a report pretty early on in the investigation, there are other articles as well. Not sure if LE commented directly or not, Ill dig some more when I have a break

That is same date (Dec 8) as the article I found (not very early, as 3 1/2 weeks afterward).. and it seemed that all the other media reports of same were based on Fox News' report. Seems Fox News was the media the neighbour spoke to, and others are just quoting Fox. jmo.

If he left through the front door, that would mean that when DM saw him heading toward the kitchen, he would have immediately turned around and headed directly past her door to the stairway mere seconds after she saw him. She was certainly still awake. Unless she fainted or something, she would have heard him and reported that to LE. Based on how LE described her observation of him, it doesn't sound like that's what happened.

What I can consider, personally, is that he came back in the morning, opened the front door (assuming it was unlocked), but then changed his mind and didn't enter (maybe heard sounds like someone was awake), and didn't pull the door fully shut behind him, maybe not wanting the click to be audible.

Or the time of the open door could have been misreported and it really happened after the two survivors woke and called friends to come over.

(Or some other option I haven't thought of.)

MOO

I think he drove by to see the commotion of all of the LE at house.. .which I am sure he was shocked to see nobody there.. that the crime had not even been reported.

RBBM

Thank you again! My tactic is to ask the naive, more obvious questions as their answers often narrow things down and point to the truth :cool:

Right?! Is there not also some kind of physical, hormonal or physiological change that occurs after someone commits murder? I cannot imagine that many people (even the worst SKs) commit this kind of crime without having some kind of bad reaction or psychological effect. Especially for someone who hasn't killed before, you'd think they'd be shaking all the way home, sweating, tossing their cookies :oops:
Some aberrant people have very low emotional arousal. Be careful not to judge criminals based on the psychologica and emotional makeup of relatively normal people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23